to Apple's A4-sporting
iPad, while besting it in the grunt stakes with its glorious ability to
chew through 1080p video when required. If that wasn't enough, the rest
of this thing's spec sheet reads like a wishlist. Headlined by a 3G
connection that allows cellular voice calls (crazy, we know!), it also
includes a user-replaceable 40Wh battery, an SD card reader, FM radio,
GPS, 802.11n WiFi, Bluetooth, MicroUSB connectivity to PCs and USB
peripherals, stereo speakers, and dual webcams -- a 2 megapixel
front-facing unit and a 5 megapixel autofocusing snapper on the back.
Multitouch displays will be available in both resistive and capacitive
flavors, with the 1,366 x 768 resolution being filled by Google's snappy
Android OS.
Oh, and did we mention it will run Flash? Because it will. Full specs
and a comparison to its direct competitors await after the break, though
we've yet to find out when this JooJoo killer will be making its
arrival or at what price.

Update: We've come across a couple of real (i.e. not
rendered) pictures of an earlier prototype for the Gemini, which looks
generic as hell but should give you a good idea of the dimensions and
scale of the device in question. Yours after the break.
ICD
Gemini official pictures

6apr10oub23523cwx.jpg

6apr10specoub244.jpg

6apr10oxb23549.jpg

6apr10spec07h5.jpg

from engadget

looks nice. but im still waiting for this:
cb4df_notion_ink_2006-540x359.jpg

4266264063_9b2c087749.jpg

[h1]Apple iPad Costs $260 to Build, iSuppli Finds[/h1]

193746-apple-ipad-cost-isuppli_original.jpg
Depending upon your perspective, Apple's iPad may be priceless or it may be pointless. On a less subjective scale, however, we're getting a better idea of what exactly an iPad is worth -- when it comes to its components, at least.

So here it is: Apple's iPad costs as little as $260 to build, according to a new teardown analysis by electronics research firm iSuppli. Ready for a piece-by-piece look at what's inside?
[h2]Apple iPad Component Costs
[/h2]
iSuppli dissected a 16GB Wi-Fi version of Apple's iPad, which currently sells for $499. The iPad's total bill-of-materials -- that is, the cost of the components alone -- came out to $250.60. Manufacturing expenses added about nine bucks to that amount, bringing the grand total to $259.60. Software, packaging, and other expenses were not factored into the analysis.

193746-apple-ipad_original.jpg
All right, onto the specifics: In a departure from the more typical notebook configuration, iSuppli found the iPad's primary costs to be tied to its user interface components as opposed to its motherboard and processor. The iPad's display is the single most expensive thing within its shiny shell: The display, made by LG, runs about $65 -- a full quarter of the iPad's total hardware value.

Next is the iPad's touchscreen assembly, made by Wintek and estimated to be worth $30. Then comes the iPad's flash memory -- worth about $29.50, for the 16GB version -- and its battery, a 3.75-volt lithium polymer pack valued at $21.

As for that processor, the iPad's A4 chip costs only $19.50, according to iSuppli's teardown. It's designed by Apple-owned P.A. Semi and manufactured by Samsung.

193746-apple-ipad-isuppli-analysis_original.jpg
Chart courtesy iSuppli

For comparison's sake, the Apple iPhone 3G S -- taken apart by iSuppli last summer -- was found to have $172.46 worth of raw materials. With an estimated manufacturing cost of $6.50, its grand total came to $178.96 -- about $80 or 31 percent less than the iPad.

Of course, only one of those two products is guaranteed to make great salsa.

JR Raphael is a PCWorld contributing editor and the co-founder of eSarcasm. He's on Facebook: facebook.com/The.JR.Raphael

You idiots. Why would you calculate how much its worth piece by piece.

How much did it cost to engineer that kind of item in the first place. MILLIONS.

Deducing information like that is absurd.

I'll give you 300$ to build me a iPad; its just not possible.

I didn't understand the hype behind this thing but I tried it at the apple store yesterday and it was actually pretty dope. I might pick one up in a couple of months.

Originally Posted by davidisgodly

You idiots. Why would you calculate how much its worth piece by piece.

How much did it cost to engineer that kind of item in the first place. MILLIONS.

Deducing information like that is absurd.

I'll give you 300$ to build me a iPad; its just not possible.

you're angry because?

it took around 250+ to build the ipad. that's all the report is about. whether they spent millions on R&D is besides the point.

isuppli finds out how much it cost to build a single ipad.. not how much it cost to develope THE iPad.

Originally Posted by DubA169

cwrite what product is that? the obe you waiting for?

notion ink adam, has a hybrid e-ink/LCD screen. suppose to run on android

even if it cost 260 to build in parts, the markup isn't that bad compared to other products. i got mine and im loving it. a lot of my friends have hated on my for it, but they're the same ones that are constantly asking to use it when they're over

Originally Posted by bjamez20

even if it cost 260 to build in parts, the markup isn't that bad compared to other products. i got mine and im loving it. a lot of my friends have hated on my for it, but they're the same ones that are constantly asking to use it when they're over

what other products?

I tried one out at the apple store yesterday and to my surprise it wasn't that bad. I might consider getting one when the 2nd generation one comes out. I feel like there are still a lot of kinks and stuff that can be worked out. I still want my Arrandale Macbook though! Hurry up Steve!
mad.gif
lol

Well call me what you want, but I have one. I love it. It is a luxury item that if you can afford and want to try something new, I say go for it. It doesn't replace anything, but it is a new approach to how we interact with the web. It's not an oversized ipod touch nor is it a macbook, but what it is a good device for what it does. I think that people sort of want to need this thing and you really don't, just like we don't need to get some of the shoes we get, or some of the cloths we buy. It is just nice to have.

So yeah call me what you want, but I have wanted soemthing like this since Star Trek NG. So I got it.

Typed from my iPad -Rowe-

Yes, it's a big %$$ iPod touch. The people that are complaining wasn't the target audience any way. I'm pretty sure if the people complaining could splurge on it they would. It's just nice to have. That's all it is.

went to the apple store yesterday. MAD ppl returning it saying it had problems with wifi, non responsive touch, etc. i was dying inside. Hypebeasts camped out for THIS?

____ gen > 1st gen

all im getting from people in this thread is yea its a 500 dollar XXL ipod touch, but im happy with it because......... hmmm ill wait

Originally Posted by balloonoboy

So yea...

iphone-os-4-0120-rm-eng.jpg

CheckmateD.jpg

"Game...blouses"

still doesn't run flash.

still over priced.

still tied down to apple.

everybody knew touch OS was going to eventually get multi tasking (how nice of apple to leave everybody without a new iphone behind, real classy). oh, and enjoy your iAds. im sure they'll look extra nice on that big screen.

Originally Posted by rowenarrow

Well call me what you want, but I have one. I love it. It is a luxury item that if you can afford and want to try something new, I say go for it. It doesn't replace anything, but it is a new approach to how we interact with the web. It's not an oversized ipod touch nor is it a macbook, but what it is a good device for what it does. I think that people sort of want to need this thing and you really don't, just like we don't need to get some of the shoes we get, or some of the cloths we buy. It is just nice to have.

So yeah call me what you want, but I have wanted soemthing like this since Star Trek NG. So I got it.

Typed from my iPad -Rowe-

lol @ this dude and still trying to push this "experiencing the web in a different way" crap (which, with the lack of flash.. you are just experiencing it in a limited way, is that what you call "different way"?) the ipod touch and iphone are on their 3-4th year so we aren't experiencing nothing new. again, this is apple's Nintendo DSi XL. add one or 2 industry standard features here and there and people will eat it up.

^You slay me.

Many sites have already switched to flash alternatives, simply because of the iPad's popularity. And the price, well think of it as a long-term investment. And who cares if I'm tied down to Apple? Jailbreakers are going to have a field day with this new OS.

Just admit it. The iPad (will be) pretty damn cool.

Gonna need a 32 GB 3G, thank you.

Back
Top Bottom