Mad Men Season Six Thread - Episode Thirteen - Season Finale - "In Care Of"

I'm done arguing with you. How do I not get the show? Where in the show did it ever say that Don destroyed her? If you've ever paid attention to the development of Betty's character it's very clear that she was NEVER all the way there, NEVER. The entire show is based on search for identity, Betty has never known her identity and has always been very childlike. Betty needs guidance and that has forever been evident, her issues with Don have nothing to do with his insecurity. Is Don lost, clearly he is. I don't even think you comprehend the point you're trying to make anymore dodging questions and making assumptions. I'm done feeding the troll, do as you please sir.

Back to regular discussion.

I'm done arguing with you. How do I not get the show? Where in the show did it ever say that Don destroyed her? If you've ever paid attention to the development of Betty's character it's very clear that she was NEVER all the way there, NEVER. The entire show is based on search for identity, Betty has never known her identity and has always been very childlike. Betty needs guidance and that has forever been evident, her issues with Don have nothing to do with his insecurity. Is Don lost, clearly he is. I don't even think you comprehend the point you're trying to make anymore dodging questions and making assumptions. I'm done feeding the troll, do as you please sir.

Back to regular discussion.
Watch the review Roc Boy posted ..the last two minutes pretty much sum up my last few posts. You don't get the show or pay attention, it's been proclaimed that Don/Whitman is BROKEN and saves ****.

Don is a simp case closed ...Roger is that guy, and for you to compare the 70's and early 80's to the 60's in terms of gender roles and rights, conversation should have been ended with you right there. I wasn't trying to insult you by saying you don't understand the show. Truth is you don't and don't know what being a simp entails. 

I'm done here bro ...I analyze this show down to the smallest details and know each season line for line. Joan is calling him a BROKEN SIMP, that fixes BROKEN females. Watch this scene and read my last few replies. Cause you CLEARLY don't know what you're talking about.

A Simp by definition* is a clown who will do anything for these **** but don't get tha buns in return.

Don is NOT that.

*from what i've gathered.

Last edited:
Simp.... calling checking up on **** in DC before his own kids.

Power Simp

....Pete though, went at Harry straight like that , didn't expect that. Props.

Last edited:
Felt it was well written. White folk then didn't know how to be sensitive to black tragedy. They didn't care for blacks enough then to emmerse themselves in the tragedy. They just felt a good person was killed.

Power Simp

In this case she was in DC where he knew it could be dangerous... whereas his kids were safe in the suburbs. Not really a big deal. Then again, I found the whole "simp" discussion to be a bit simplified, but that's just me.

Last edited:
It was a well written episode. Too similar to the episode when the president died a few seasons back tho.

Power Simp

He only feels like that because he is seperated from his family. He should just apologize and keep it moving. For his daughter's sake if for nothing else. Doubt he truly cared about that racism **** he was tryin to pull

Last edited:
Another good episode. I couldn't hear what the dude said during Newman's speech, but it made sense after. First episode in recent memory where I kinda felt bad for Pete. Couldn't even strike up a convo with the delivery guy. :lol: |I

That Joan hug made me cringe, probably because it was unexpected + Dawn's reaction.

I was shocked at Pete's reaction but was glad he did that. It's starting to really come to light that Don really cannot connect with people, it's kind of sad.

Disappointed in the lack of analysis and breakdown of the episode in the thread.
The one thing i look forward to more than the actual episodes are the breakdowns and posts by Big J and company.

I watched, i enjoyed. But i wanna read some insight.

Get on it folks :D

Mad Men, Episode 4: Maniacs, Blowing It All Up
By Molly Lambert on April 29, 2013 11:30 AM ET

i

MICHAEL YARISH/AMC
"The Forbidden Zone was once a paradise. Your breed made a desert of it, ages ago." — Dr. Zaius, Planet of the Apes

In the wake of a horrible tragedy, traditional comforts don't always work. Things that usually make you feel better might make you feel bad or, worse, entirely disconnected. Television shows that were comfortingly absurd are suddenly jarringly unreal. All food becomes tasteless. Awards become meaningless. The usual Marxist ******** can no longer blunt emotions about how terrible the world really is. Disasters tear open the screens put in place to protect us from horror and fear. All the other hungers and lusts are replaced with just one need: more information. After an unjust death, there can be no true satisfaction or closure. Just new facts, and an agonizing desire for more of them.

Peggy is easily bullied by pushy real estate agents named Ginny who are faintly reminiscent of her overbearing mother. Lucky for both of them, Ginny decides on their behalf that the Upper East Side does not support boho creative types shacking up. Screw ’em! Through one brief, extremely honest conversation, Peggy is rescued from becoming even more uptight and exacting, the total control freak she could be. Abe is a great match for her, similarly passionate but with a complementary temperament. Her braininess is a turn-on for him, and he doesn't care that she outearns him. He puts up gamely with the obnoxious Ted Chaough taking his chair at the awards, and doesn't let Peggy push him away. He chills her out, and they bring out the sweet, uncynical sides in each other. Abe's slip to Peggy that he saw them raising their kids in a neighborhood more diverse than the Upper East Side didn't feel like a manipulative parry. Elisabeth Moss's isolated reaction shot on the couch when she realized that Abe genuinely loves her and is in it for the long haul was better than the last decade of romantic comedies.

Peggy is generally a depressive realist, but she's equal parts Debbie Downer and Little Mary Sunshine. There's something irrepressibly effervescent and open-spirited about her, which is why she and Megan are friends. The honeymoon period is over at Cutler, Gleason & Chaough, but don't tell that to Ted Chaough. He blatantly flirts with Peggy, to the annoyance of his blowsy wife, Nan, who looks like she was three drinks in before she walked through the door. Like Don, Ted treads a weird line with Peggy. He's a father figure and mentor, but he flirts with her, too. It makes Peggy uncomfortable, but both her ex and current boss know her well enough to recognize that the way to her heart is to praise her work. Meanwhile, Megan could give two ***** about writing ads, and she's the one who cleans up at the newly meaningless awards ceremony.

Don is so hypnotized by Sylvia and her Betty Rubble wig that he asks the same question twice in a row. Soon enough, when he mishears the name of the town his mistress's husband is taking her to for a week, he'll be able to blame it on senility. Then he can go around New York boning all the taken ladies he likes, blaming his failing hearing for miscomprehension, like a (more) sexual Columbo. If Don thinks his big monologue about his inability to love his own children is going to help Megan deal with the eventual realization that he doesn't really love her either, he is mistaken. Don has liquor and her father has Marx, but Megan is addicted to trying to change Don. Even though his wife is young and stunning, Don is cheating on her with an older woman who wears zebra collars. Don is obsessed with Sylvia and already bored of Megan, which is like going out for brisket when you have coq au vin at home.

Bobby Draper has long been an unformed lump of bread dough, portrayed by a stream of unmemorable child actors who couldn't resist looking into the camera. But they wouldn't be Don Draper's son if they could resist impulsive urges, which is why the latest Bobby is seen stripping the wallpaper in his room because he resents it (his father) for being crooked (absent). Betty says that the scared kids want to see their dad, but making Don drive out to fetch them is really just a way to exact her vendetta. She's still hung up on belittling Don's "girlfriend" Megan, but after all her years with Don, she should know that by now he's already cheating with another swarthy mistress.

As far as Don is concerned, "coparenting" better be the name of a rare aperitif; certainly it's not a concept he'd care to explore in more depth. Don always tries to excuse his bad behavior with rational speeches where he admits to understanding that he's ****** and explains exactly why, without actually offering to work on it. Megan is a sap, so she fell for his whispery sob story about his sucky dad, but he could've gotten her just as easily by clenching that strong jaw, biting his lower lip, and saying "in that tear are all the tears in the world, all the animals, crying." Meanwhile Bobby is turning into a little A.J. Soprano, trying to stunt like his daddy with a crucial difference of always getting caught. Don's only parenting trick is "Hey, look at this!," which is similar to Betty's most commonly used strategy, "Go look at that!" It's been established that Don enjoys sci-fi, so it's no surprise that he and Bobby bond over having their minds blown by Planet of the Apes, which used the terrain of science fiction for a thinly veiled allegory about racism.

Ginsberg goes on a forced blind date booked for him through OKAltacockers with Beverly, a nice Jewish schoolteacher. It played out similarly to the date on Girls brokered by yenta Carol Kane for her daughter with another skeevy mustache enthusiast, Adam Sackler. And Beverly's next date (if there is one) probably won't end with him forcing her to crawl on her knees through a bed of dusty nails, but who knows? Ginsberg is a mysterious Martian. I couldn't even tell if he was really admitting to being a virgin or doing a self-deprecating stand-up bit. Ginsberg's lack of obvious sexual interest in the charming Beverly goes unexplained, another bit of ambiguity for viewers to parse out for themselves. Is he gay? Asexual? Secretly in love with Dawn? Or simply annoyed that his father got involved in his personal life and therefore determined to sabotage the setup no matter what?

When Roger says Randy talked him off a roof, he doesn't specify whether that roof was real or conceptual. I'm assuming Roger and Randy tripped the light fantastic together a few times, and are now entheogen bros, which is why Roger let him come in and pitch. I also get the feeling Roger's acid phase might have lasted a whole year that only felt like a few short minutes. Randy the angel of Molotov cocktails is portrayed by William Mapother, who played Ethan "Goodspeed" Rom on Lost and specializes in weirdos. Randy felt like a visitor to New York from Twin Peaks. His cringe-worthy quoting of Tecumseh supports a Room 237 crackpot theory that Mad Men is a show about America confronting its disgusting and unseemly history. Don Draper is just an avatar for the United States, and his backstory a metaphor for the country's violent, shameful past. Psychedelics are great for coming up with far-reaching theories that seem like they almost make sense but actually don't. The answers are in Stan's stoned laugh.

Reactions to MLK's assassination were shown through the very specific prism of Mad Men’s insulated and overwhelmingly white world. Everyone was very upset except for Harry Crane, who remains the least likable character on Mad Men even though other characters have done more horrible things. Harry's worship of the almighty dollar and total lack of empathy manage to make Pete Campbell seem sympathetic in comparison. Pete Campbell, who five seconds ago was the worst person ever! Vincent Kartheiser is so good. Give him all the awards. Harry's casual racism is pretty inexcusable and sadly current. Today he'd be the guy arguing at parties that we live in a post-racial society. Roger Sterling was similarly uninterested, because he's so far removed from social issues. Rich and fully out of touch, he lives in blissful ignorance.

We didn't get to see Dawn or Phyllis or Hollis the elevator guy (where's that guy been lately?) or Carla (I wish!) reacting privately, so we were left with the white characters' reactions, and then the minority characters' reactions to those reactions. While Peggy showed a rare display of effective maternal softness with Phyllis, who was upset and wanted to talk, Joan's usual bosomy bolstering was totally awkward with Dawn, who wanted to not talk and especially to not be treated differently from all the other employees. One of the black kitchen workers at the diner Ginsberg and Beverly were at dropped a plate. The black usher at the movie theater didn't feel like humoring Bobby Draper; he just wanted to sweep up the popcorn and get the hell out of there. Like other world-transforming historical events on Mad Men, the real plot was not the event, but the change stirred up in all the characters' lives by it.

Despite all the hatred burning in his heart, Pete has always harbored a surprisingly liberal view of race relations. He was one of the more progressive Sterling Cooper employees in earlier seasons, suggesting that the agency cater to a black clientele through Ebony magazine. More recently, he seemed to retreat into what I figured would become a conservative reactionary fugue. I had really been picturing Pete Campbell turning into Peter Boyle in Joe, ranting about wanting to kill hippies. As always, Mad Men subverted my assumptions and then dunked on me. Throughout "The Flood," Pete and Peggy (who had no scenes together) showed flashes of their younger, less jaded first-season selves. Like real humans, they've changed drastically over the years in some ways while remaining exactly themselves in crucial others. Pete is often terrible, but sometimes he is unbearably wonderful. Hell's bells, I nearly wanted Trudy to take him back.

Trudy was the one who put "shameful" into Pete's vocabulary for its eventual use as a conversational Molotov cocktail aimed at Harry's greasy sideburns. Pete's anger may have secretly been more about his own marriage than Dr. King's death, but it was still cathartic to see someone get angry about something real. His embarrassing shot at bonding with the Chinese-food delivery guy was a misguided attempt to communicate with a fellow human being after being shut down by Trudy and Tammy. It also seemed a callback to Season 1, when the Sterling Cooper staff pranked Pete by hiring some Chinese workers to occupy his desk, and then laughed as Pete said, "Who put the Chinamen in my office?" Pete and Peggy are similarly stubborn, but they also have bursts of intense growth and sprout green shoots.

None of the major Mad Men characters has been directly involved in the civil-rights movement since that poseur Paul Kinsey took the bus to Birmingham with Sheila. They are nearly all Kennedy liberals, supporting civil rights in theory but accidentally showing an ugly discomfort about the race riots. Peggy is tangentially related to the movement through Abe's journalism, but Abe is just documenting. Sylvia and Dr. Rosen are in Washington, D.C., where severe rioting took place in the days after MLK's death. Mayor-Commissioner Walter Washington ignored J. Edgar Hoover's proposition that they shoot the rioters, and went on to become D.C.'s first black mayor, as well as its first elected one. During the riots, he walked through the city himself and tried to persuade people to go home and assist those affected by the fires.

Michael Ginsberg gives another speech that really needs some Yiddish theater–style klezmer violin underneath it. Harry Crane is worried about New York getting blown up, but Bobby Draper is strangely Zen about it. Maybe mind***** blow his hair back. I wish The Simpsons’ Planet of the Apes musical was a real musical (and also their musical version of A Streetcar Named Desire). Harry Hamlin is a bizarro-world Roger Sterling with bad breath. Henry Francis plans a run for office, and Betty starts thinking about crash diets. Abe and Peggy make a plan to gentrify the Upper West Side together as a team. What did Pete Campbell order from the Chinese restaurant? We will never know. Don stands on the balcony of contemplative thought, looking out at something that looks sort of like New York City but also doesn't. Eventually, the emergency news cycle stops and regular programming resumes as if nothing had happened. It was just a bad dream.

http://www.grantland.com/blog/holly...7/mad-men-episode-4-maniacs-blowing-it-all-up

I was shocked at Pete's reaction but was glad he did that. It's starting to really come to light that Don really cannot connect with people, it's kind of sad.

I was thinking the same thing. Don finally showing some emotion towards his kids other than being mad at them :lol:

This was a really great episode, love how Mad Men is able to capture crucial moments in American history. Advertising agencies really acted like that after hearing the death of MLK. "There's no such things as a makegood" great line by Pete (and I'm not a fan of his character).

episode was great tons of conflict.

I don't agree with the ending didn't really like their method of winning the account but w/e mergers like these did happen.

pete can't win. he tries with his wife loses. goes elsewhere and loses.

GREAT to see Joan give a **** you to Don. I kinda want to see more of the team calling Don out for his ******** because it was awesome.

I don't give a **** about Peggy and her bf that storyline is getting old real fast. it's like betty 2.0

Don w/ the power movie indeed. It'll be intresting to see how it plays out, my guess is not so good.

Pete just can't get right no matter what. Some of the worst people skills ever.

Back
Top Bottom