• Elite (Grey.Black/Red)

Votes: 20 1.5%
  • BHM

Votes: 77 5.9%
  • Gumbo/All Stars

Votes: 354 27.0%

• Total voters
People act like folks can't like a player more than the team...lol
I think a lot of the older crowd gets it.  No, I'm not calling anyone immature.... but I'm old (at least feel like it), I didn't just watch and cheer for Jordan...I loved watching and rooting for Reggie, Barkley, etc.  Never was much of a fan for my hometown Mavs besides the short lived 3 J's period.   Nothing has changed from when I was a kid, LeBron could go to the Cleveland Indians and you can guarantee that I'll be walking around town in LBJ baseball pants  
laugh.gif

yes i read the essay but have you guys been looking at the sports stations....it was being reported weeks ago that LEBRON HIMSELF SAID HE WANTED THE MAX NEXT YEAR!!!...now If the max contract was on the table from both the cavs and heat and he went back to the cavs then that's a different story!...

You don't think Miami was giving him the max? They had nobody under contract.

This wasn't about the money. Stop simplifying things.

Well there's fans and then there's groupies

Most people who grow up playing and watching sports don't think this way.

Rooting for a team locks you in to crummy owners and sometimes players you don't like. For example, how would a dog lover have felt about the Eagles when they signed Vick?

I personally find the human angle far more compelling - some guys are great athletes and great people, others seem like total jerks and I wouldn't want to root for them under any circumstance.

Neither approach is better or worse, but to say caring about a team is the only way is a bit close-minded.

I think a lot of the older crowd gets it.  No, I'm not calling anyone immature.... but I'm old (at least feel like it), I didn't just watch and cheer for Jordan...I loved watching and rooting for Reggie, Barkley, etc.  Never was much of a fan for my hometown Mavs besides the short lived 3 J's period.   Nothing has changed from when I was a kid, LeBron could go to the Cleveland Indians and you can guarantee that I'll be walking around town in LBJ baseball pants  :lol:

This. Except I couldn't stand Reggie or Isiah...

This. Except I couldn't stand Reggie or Isiah...
Reggie WAS my all time fav lololol.....I had my spot in the driveway that I'd jump from for my "JOOOOORDAN" jump, but once I ran out to the street and drained 'em from there, people heard Reggie from two blocks away 
roll.gif

*these are baskets from like 8 ft away btw lol

People act like folks can't like a player more than the team...lol

bandwagon fans is nothing new but with social media etc. now it's more obvious, plus you have a lot more super star movement compared to previous generations. I'm willing to bet a lot of ppl who are fans of the celtics, lakers, etc are so because of iconic players. Back then, players didn't move around as much tho so it was easy for you to love a player AND team for a really, REALLY, long time.

Now you got like 3-4 years MAX. I feel bad for little kids coming up today :lol: They gon' have like 5-6 jerseys by the time they hit 20.

with that being said, I LOVE Lebron, could never bring myself to cop a Miami heat jersey tho. Once Clippers were out I rooted for him all four years. I copped Cavs because it was his first team, Cleveland is like a 2nd home to me, and I watched him come up from HS.

In terms of the TEAM, I root for that's the Clippers and Steelers. They could lose everybody and while it would suck I'd still root for them. Those are my teams. If the clippers happen to meet the Cavs this final there's no question who I'm rooting for.

Last edited:
Rooting for a team locks you in to crummy owners and sometimes players you don't like. For example, how would a dog lover have felt about the Eagles when they signed Vick?

I personally find the human angle far more compelling - some guys are great athletes and great people, others seem like total jerks and I wouldn't want to root for them under any circumstance.

Neither approach is better or worse, but to say caring about a team is the only way is a bit close-minded.

You can respect a player or like a player.

But that makes you a groupie or bandwagon fan. What happens to the team before? Hopping to whatever team wins or has the best change to win? And they're the main ones bragging about what their TEAM did and the loudest when their team wins.

And that's why they're going to be coppin pleas now. I'm not hopping from team to team. I'm with my teams until I or they no longer exist.

But he would of made more money staying in Miami. Lebron is getting around 20.6 mil per year in Cleveland and 18-19, possibly max deal he would of got in Miami if he stayed. With property tax in Cleveland, his annual number is less in there now than it would of been in Miami. It's clearly not about the money. He could of made more money if he stayed in Miami. He wants the challenge. Read the letter to SI.
man lebron left because he couldn't handle the challenge. You guys go on believe what these people tell magazines. He went back because cavs team gone look better than miami. Wade has been declining since lebron got there. Now he has a young kyrie Irving and soon to be Kevin Love. He simply upgraded his team again.

I think a lot of the older crowd gets it.  No, I'm not calling anyone immature.... but I'm old (at least feel like it), I didn't just watch and cheer for Jordan...I loved watching and rooting for Reggie, Barkley, etc.  Never was much of a fan for my hometown Mavs besides the short lived 3 J's period.   Nothing has changed from when I was a kid, LeBron could go to the Cleveland Indians and you can guarantee that I'll be walking around town in LBJ baseball pants  
laugh.gif
Agreed.  I've never seen anything wrong with rooting for a player...I mean how many of us were Seattle Mariner fans just because Griff Jr. was there? (I was, and I hate baseball)  I don't consider it a "bandwagon" when you always root for that player throughout their career.  I think a lot of people are forgetting those Jordan Wizards jerseys in the closet when they throw stones....just saying.   

Anyways, for those asking earlier, just got a Modell's shipping confirmation for SB XI's.  
nthat.gif

Last edited:
You can respect a player or like a player.

But that makes you a groupie or bandwagon fan. What happens to the team before? Hopping to whatever team wins or has the best change to win? And they're the main ones bragging about what their TEAM did and the loudest when their team wins.

And that's why they're going to be coppin pleas now. I'm not hopping from team to team. I'm with my teams until I or they no longer exist.

That's cool, I respect that. I def get how rooting for a specific team can make sports more interesting because the struggle in the lean years makes you appreciate when they turn it around and win. Admittedly, rooting for players means I def get less into games than others, but that's not why I enjoy watching to begin with.

I like plenty of players on teams that aren't contenders, doesn't stop me from rooting for them either.

bandwagon fans is nothing new but with social media etc. now it's more obvious, plus you have a lot more super star movement compared to previous generations. I'm willing to bet a lot of ppl who are fans of the celtics, lakers, etc are so because of iconic players. Back then, players didn't move around as much tho so it was easy for you to love a player AND team for a really, REALLY, long time.

Now you got like 3-4 years MAX. I feel bad for little kids coming up today :lol: They gon' have like 5-6 jerseys by the time they hit 20.

with that being said, I LOVE Lebron,could never bring myself to cop a Miami heat jersey tho. I copped Cavs because it was his first time and Cleveland is like a 2nd home to me cuz of fam. In terms of the TEAM, I root for that's the Clippers and Steelers. They could lose everybody and while it would suck I'd still root for them. Those are my teams.

The only players who didn't change teams were Magic, Isiah and Bird, and you don't know what would have happen, because their careers were partially derailed(HIV, achillies, back)

Who else did you stay with their team over the past 30 years, John Stockton?

I am just pumped about some possible future HWC releases. Maybe Nike will keep trending toward higher volume releases for shoes that once were all but unobtainable.

Back
Top Bottom