[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters
I don't know why I'm shocked a lot of you are happy to see this team become the Kobe Bryant show, where we wait around to watch him chuck up shots to become the all time leading scorer. Clearly that's more important to many of you than actually rebuilding to be a competitive team again.

Here is what you and a bunch of NT'ers FAIL to recognize:

-The Lakers as a franchise DO NOT TANK on purpose and rebuild through the draft ! Hell in the 80's they acquired the #1 draft pick for the 1982 draft through a trade that got them James Worthy.Same with Magic the year he came out and the Lakers had the #1 pick that year.
-The year we drafted Andrew Bynum with the #10 pick the Lakers did not tank on purpose and were in playoff contention during 03-04 season before Kobe suffered injuries and Rudy T quit halfway through that season.

Lebron isn't coming.Melo is not a player worth a max contract.

Even with Kobe's new contract they still have money to go after another max contract player.Don't be surprised if in a year or 2 Mitch makes a blockbuster trade for someone like Kevin Love or Russell Westbrook.If not the free agent classes in 2015 & 2016 are hell of a lot better than what might be available in the summer of 2014.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

FWIW Marc Stein pointed out that Kobe has always had his eye on owning part of a team after his career is over.

In that regard, Kobe needs all the money he can get.

Doesn't change anything for the Lakers, but that seems to be what's on his mind. Not something trivial like a scoring title.

CP where the hell you been man.

2 pages ago you were my rival and I didn't want you around, but the last page and a half have been needing your attention, friend.

:wink:

Most if the dudes in here defending this atrocity are the delusional two bit fans who were never laker fans only kobe fans.

Same dudes protecting mike brown like he was in the witness protection program.

Congrats kobe for today you have insured yourself of never getting another ring again...

Congrats jim and mitch for when this guy gets another major injury a few weeks later after his return you will be stuck with him on the books.

And congrats to the laker fans who co sign this bull **** because this old *** dude who will never be the same player again just robbed you of never seeing another title for atleast another decade. You proved to the haters just how dumb and brainwashed some fans can be. Somewhere kings fans are proud.

U gon learn today

Yall are entirely too dramatic. Everyone is not either happy or pissed off. The Lakers are not ensured a decade of sucking. No wonder other fan bases hate us, where is the middle ground?

He scored every point?

Or were there teammates?

I remember seeing teammates.

I remember a lot of them, actually. Lots of people did lots of scoring.

Remember that time Kobe killed it in Phil's absence, though? Those were the days, right? When he showed everyone that he could lead a competitive team without Phil? You know, since it's all just Kobe on the floor, not Phil.

What's your point tho? Nobody ever said Kobe was the main reason we won, but he definitely was a major reason

That trash can yes man anything for you sir type of fan that why you co sign this trash you co signed mike brown til the end and co signed antoni in the begining

Last edited:
I don't know why I'm shocked a lot of you are happy to see this team become the Kobe Bryant show, where we wait around to watch him chuck up shots to become the all time leading scorer. Clearly that's more important to many of you than actually rebuilding to be a competitive team again.

Here is what you and a bunch of NT'ers FAIL to recognize:

-The Lakers as a franchise DO NOT TANK on purpose and rebuild through the draft ! Hell in the 80's they acquired the #1 draft pick for the 1982 draft through a trade that got them James Worthy.Same with Magic the year he came out and the Lakers had the #1 pick that year.
-The year we drafted Andrew Bynum with the #10 pick the Lakers did not tank on purpose and were in playoff contention during 03-04 season before Kobe suffered injuries and Rudy T quit halfway through that season.

Lebron isn't coming.Melo is not a player worth a max contract.

Even with Kobe's new contract they still have money to go after another max contract player.Don't be surprised if in a year or 2 Mitch makes a blockbuster trade for someone like Kevin Love or Russell Westbrook.If not the free agent classes in 2015 & 2016 are hell of a lot better than what might be available in the summer of 2014.

Here's what a bunch of other NT'ers FAIL to recognize:

- How is Mitch going to make a blockbuster trade? With what pieces? He fleeced Memphis for Pau Gasol... but at least he had draft picks and young assets (Crittenton and Marc) to convince the Griz to do the trade. Calling teams with a bunch of one-year journeymen is FAR from the same thing. The closest thing to an "asset" the Lakers have is Ryan Kelly and Robert Sacre. It may be tough to remember, but Crittenton actually had a little bit of value.

- The Lakers have room for another max contract when they hit free agency. But Kobe + a second one and you're almost at the salary cap. What happens when they hit that wall? It's Kobe, Love/Russ, and a bunch of one-year minimums. Not a very good team.

- The Lakers can splurge over the cap, but it can only be with players already on their roster. Bird Rights is what makes it possible.

Last edited:
I will wait and give mitch and jimmy the benefit of the doubt, this isn't their first reload. everybody was confused when they gave kwame an extension and that worked out great. I'm actually excited about this because it means two things - lakers feel they can compete with kobe and they have another move in the works

It would be their first reload rebuild without Jerry Buss, the actual mastermind behind everything

Noble why you so mad at me bro? It was a joke. Stop questioning people's fan hood when you yourself are committed to multiple teams.

You even did it to yourself in the NBA thread... :lol:

Just relax bro. Everything will be okay.

Don't have a heart attack because of a contract extension. :lol:

And if don't make blind accusations. You clearly skimmed through the pages and are just making assumptions.

If I'm "clearly" who you're talking about then you're admitting to blindly making assumptions and not reading. Because I clearly said it was selfish of Kobe in a basketball aspect and stupid of Jim Buss, multiple posts.

Read.
Breathe.

No ones cosigning anything, you're yelling and screaming while failing to not realize nearly everyone here has agreed on one thing and that's this extension being horrible.

Last edited:
I thought under the new CBA, the maximum allowed you can take a paycut is 7.5% of the the remaining year if it is a contract extension. So wouldn't that mean Kobe couldn't have a choice and did take the maximum allowed? Here's from the CBA faq:

59. Can existing contracts be renegotiated?

A contract for four or more seasons can be renegotiated after the third anniversary of its signing, extension, or previous renegotiation (if the previous negotiation increased any season's salary by more than 4.5%). Contracts for fewer than four seasons cannot be renegotiated. A contract cannot be renegotiated between March 1 and June 30 of any year.

Only teams under the cap can renegotiate a contract, and the salary in the then-current season can be increased only to the extent that the team has room under the cap (and cannot increase the player's salary beyond the maximum salary). A renegotiation can only be used to provide a salary increase -- players can't take a "pay cut" in order to create more cap room for the team.

If the player agrees to waive a portion of his trade bonus in order to facilitate a trade (see question number 97), his contract may not be renegotiated for six months following the trade.

Every category of compensation (base salary, likely bonuses, and unlikely bonuses) that are increased in the renegotiated season must also increase in all subsequent seasons of the contract. Raises (and decreases) in subsequent seasons are limited to 7.5% of the salary in the first renegotiated season.

A renegotiated contract can be extended simultaneously (see question number 58). If a player's contract is extended and renegotiated simultaneously in this manner, his salary may not decrease by more than 40% from the last season before the extension (after it is renegotiated) to the first season of the extension. For example, if the salary in the last season of a contract is renegotiated to $10 million and the contract is simultaneously extended, the salary in the first season of the extension cannot be less than $6 million.

Don't think this applies because his previous contract was under the old CBA and this was a straight extension, no renegotiation. He could have taken much less if he chose to.

to everyone that is losing their mind, what exactly does this stop the lakers from doing? signing lebron(lol)? building a team around melo? seriously can someone explain why you guys are so upset and people are talking like we will be trash for the next decade because of this

Back
Top Bottom