[:: LAKERS 2014 THREAD | POLL: Who Should Coach Next Year? ::]

WHO SHOULD COACH THE LAKERS NEXT SEASON?

• Mike _'Antoni

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stan Van Gundy

• Byron Scott

• George Karl

• Jerry Sloan

• Kurt Rambis

• Nate McMillan

• Doug Collins

• College Coach (Mention Name and School)...

• Total voters

I'm not a fan of tanking either, its a lottery not an assured spot.

I seem to recall a certain celtics team doing that in 98 or 99 for Duncan…didn't work out so well for them.
*sigh*

Yes, because tanking in 97 in a 1 player draft is the same as tanking for the 2014 7-8 player draft.

Tanking in 96, smart.
Tanking in 97, not smart.

Tanking in 2003, smart.
Tanking in 2013, not smart.

2014 = 1996 = 2003.

Not tanking for any one player, ala Duncan.

Tanking for ANY player, ala Iverson, Allen, Marbury, Kobe, Nash.
Bron, Melo, Wade, Bosh.

More options. Plain and simple. Not just a single player.
to add to this, third pick of the ducan draft was billups and 9th was tmac

meaning that for picks 2-9 it was possible for them to grab a player like tmac, yes a lot of teams passed up on him but having the option of grabbing a potential star like a tmac is better than not having that option and losing in the first round of the playoffs.

even if we get the 11th pick and "only" grab a solid role player, thats still better than getting swept by the spurs again and having nothing to show for it

of course if you enjoy watching this team fight for wins (it is soo much more fun to watch than next year) then i cant really blame you, just stating my option on things and hoping to get some friendly back and fourth going. we're all lakers fans here, no need to take shots when there are disagreements.

Last edited:
thumbs-up.gif

gu4.gif

I honestly......wait, TMac was Duncan's year????

I completely forgot that.
yup, only 3 allstars out of that draft but tmac going 9th shows that its possible to find gems in any draft class

and of course the sooner you get to pick the less likely it is for another team to take that gem away from you

to add to this, third pick of the ducan draft was billups and 9th was tmac

meaning that for picks 2-9 it was possible for them to grab a player like tmac, yes a lot of teams passed up on him but having the option of grabbing a potential star like a tmac is better than not having that option and losing in the first round of the playoffs.

even if we get the 11th pick and "only" grab a solid role player, thats still better than getting swept by the spurs again and having nothing to show for it

of course if you enjoy watching this team fight for wins (it is soo much more fun to watch than next year) then i cant really blame you, just stating my option on things and hoping to get some friendly back and fourth going. we're all lakers fans here, no need to take shots when there are disagreements.
nah its no disrespect. I just don't think anything is a sure shot ESPECIALLY when it comes to the draft. This isn't a start up franchise. Its about being competitive EVERY year and putting ***** in the seats. I think we spend a lot because we expect a lot. I could be wrong but this to me has always been the Laker way. Also we have had great success in it.

Drafts are great but you don't necessarily have to tank to get draft picks. If the team as presently constructed continues to perform above their expectations and certain pieces stand out you could trade those pics for draft picks. (An NFL concept I know, but the idea is still the same) I just will NEVER concede to the idea that tanking is the absolute best way for the future, when anything is possible. 

Just look at some of the other teams in the West, injuries can happen, teams can underperform etc. Anything is possible. Tanking isn't the ONLY option for our squad.

yup, only 3 allstars out of that draft but tmac going 9th shows that its possible to find gems in any draft class

and of course the sooner you get to pick the less likely it is for another team to take that gem away from you
tmac was a risk coming straight from high school. im sure he would have been higher had he went to college

CP I've been trying to stay quiet, I really have the last few days.. I'm trying to let go of this whole "pro tank/anti tank" bs but damn you just won't let it go...just shut up man. Please.

Just because we don't actively root for our team to lose doesn't mean we can't enjoy a high draft pick.

What the hell do you want from people? To just out of no where start watching their favorite team play to root for them to lose? We've been sports fans our whole lives, we've done nothing but root for our teams to win with passion... But you want us to change over night just because the draft is loaded.

No **** were going to be happy with a high draft pick. Why the **** would that irritate you? We want to see our team win a championship every year, just like you've always said we should expect from EVERY SEASON. You're the one that for years has been saying "every year without a championship is a failure, no excuses."

Now dudes are all delusional and idiots because they're cheering for their team to miraculously compete even though it's obviously not practical.

Why can't you get this through your head? Just because were "anti-tank" DOESNT MEAN WE DONT SEE THE VALUE IN LOSING FOR NEXT YEARS DRAFT.

WE GET IT. If there was one year to suck it would be this one, and we do. Were going to most likely land a top 12 pick. And we're going to start rebuilding with high talent next season

But why can't we ******g root for our team and young players to play well in the present time? Some of us weren't raised to root for losses, regardless of your logic.

You go ahead and watch Laker games and cheer for the opponent to win every night. If that's you're idea of being a fan then so be it, we've already accepted it and were not complaining anymore yet on every page you're constantly throwing shots at the "anti tankers" as if were a bunch of little kids that have no clue what basketball is.

LET IT GO.
Let us breathe. Let us live.
You say you've put us on ignore but your mouth can't stop mentioning us.

We don't wanna ******g root for our team to lose. Why does that bother you? How does us cheering for our team affect whether they win or not? Seriously. How does it impact the game?

Are the anti tankers going to be the reason the Los Angeles Lakers win games they "shouldn't" and end up with a worse pick than you want them to?

WE HAVE NO INFLUENCE ON THE GAMES.

Were fans. All we can do is cheer. That's why my mind is ******g blown that people keep saying stuff like "why aren't you dudes understanding that this is a good year to suck?"...

Uh. WE DO.

But why does that mean we have to sit on the couch like grumpy old men and root for the lakers to lose every night? Why can't we just root for our team to win like we always have in our lives and still appreciate and understand the value of losing?

Don't you get it's a win win for us? If we win and we see development out of our players, we enjoy it... We might see kids we can keep and build around.

If we lose, cool were still in good shape for a good pick next year oh well... Were rebuilding anyways. We GET IT. We're not that mad at the losses, were with you guys we'd love to get a high draft pick as well.

But some of us just don't have it in our blood to watch a 48 minute basketball game and root for the Bobcats to beat us. What kind of ******g entertainment is that?

I just don't get why some of you keep saying we need to be "pro tank" as if it makes a difference on the outcome of the team. Who cares if were pro tank or not!? Were all on the same team here. We want what's best for the squad. Obviously losing helps our draft stock, so we appreciate that. But we can't actively sit there every night and root for losses.

SUE US.

Damn.

Get the hell off of people's backs.
It's pathetic that anyone would sit at their TV set and say "Go bobcats go! Beat us! Pro tank!!!"

But if that's what you wanna do, go for it.

Let us enjoy our way of watching basketball. We have no effect on the outcome were just fans for gods sakes.

Fans that are apparently not as passionate and smart as you because we don't spend every game day excited to root for our team to lose. Were just all such big idiots for not being "pro tank"... Oh god how could so many people be so stupid... I'm too good for this I'm going to ignore the idiots who can't root for losing with me.

Give me a break already man.
Back the hell off and stop with the mockery and constant belittling of "anti tankers."

Funny you comin sideways like this. Cuz ain't it the same?

Wasn't I sittin around talkin, mindin my own business when The Trade machine came in runnin his mouth with "no heart" just like he's done for weeks, on here, on Twitter, probably on his facebook, etc, takin shots at Pro tankers?

Let you breathe, why can't we breathe?

You typin his name? No? Why not?

Oh that's right, because you're on his anti tanking side.

So yes, yell at me all you want. I don't give a ****.

Damn right every season without a title is a failure. THIS SEASON IS A FAILURE ALREADY. We have zero shot to win the title, we already KNOW that. So the entire point of Pro Tank is to maximize this wasted season. If you're gonna lose, lose with a gift. That's my process. That's why it don't bother me to see losses pile up.
Last year, I DESPISED every, single, loss. We SHOULD have won a title last year. We built, to win a title last year. We failed. But last year, we had no pick, so tanking was not an option either.

This isn't about I'm right, you're not, so and so is not, none of that. It's listening to stupid drivel every damn day in here. I'm not tryna here dudes talk about winning it all THIS year with this garbage roster. It's like I said to DWS, yes, the delusional Laker fan label is well and good. Well deserved.

It's funny, when other fanbases run off at the mouth, I go at them hard as hell. I stand there and take shots from them, fire back, destroy their franchise to the best of my ability. At that point, ya'll are lovin me. The other night a mod, A MOD pulled thru here with his trolling after his team beat us. I should be happy about the L, but I still told him to get the hell out of here and leave you all anti tankers alone. When I speak the truth to them, ya'll feelin me, when I say back at you guys, then I'm some *******, jerk, arrogant, etc etc etc. Which is it fellas?

I do me. It's all I can do. I say what I say and I back it up, every single time. I don't run, I don't hide.

Hell ******g no I'm not down with anti tankers all of a sudden getting excited about our draft pick. No damn way. That's bs. I'm going to listen to shots like trade machine throws out all year, so he can stand there and celebrate the 4th pick all of a sudden? **** that. :smh:

Like I said, I'm putting anti tankers on ignore. I'm not listening to you people anymore. They can live in their fantasy, "we have heart" worlds. But when reality sets in, I'm not tryna listen to them crawl thru here with their sadz and "who can we draft now" questions. Naw.

People had all summer long to read the writing on the wall. To see the roster set up. To see the "plan" for 2014 cap space wise, deep draft wise, contracts all 1 year, we all could read that easily. It was obvious before game #1 we weren't winning a title. Now I get "we're hoping for a title, we have heart" thrown in my face? :lol: Whatever.

I really don't need anyone to agree, disagree, whatever. I know who looks ahead, who sees things league wide, etc. I don't need the rest of the crap from all those that "have heart" but no brain. Listen to Essential and his stupid trade scenarios all year long. Enjoy that. Then enjoy watching him switch into draft mode in a few months, like he knows what he's talkin about. :lol: :lol: :lol:

tmac was a risk coming straight from high school. im sure he would have been higher had he went to college
same with kobe, im not sure he would have been picked that "early" if it wasnt for what jerry west saw in him. mitch seems to have a good eye for talent and i trust him to make the best choice for us going forward so why not give him more to work with (by getting a higher draft pick)

Bruhs,

TeamTank has the Lakers best interest in mind, because they're future-minded.

TeamAntiTank has the Lakers best interest in mind, because they're present-minded.

They're both right.

Getting all frustrated that there's an entire camp of people opposite your opinion is just wasting your energy. For me personally, it's frustrating to see people get so worked up over someone else vehemently expressing a different opinion.

Just got done reading an article about 13 things mentally strong people don't do, and these were 2 of them:

"They Don’t Waste Energy on Things They Can’t Control

You won’t hear a mentally strong person complaining over lost luggage or traffic jams. Instead, they focus on what they can control in their lives. They recognize that sometimes, the only thing they can control is their attitude.

They Don’t Worry About Pleasing Everyone

Mentally strong people recognize that they don’t need to please everyone all the time. They’re not afraid to say no or speak up when necessary. They strive to be kind and fair, but can handle other people being upset if they didn’t make them happy."

Stop wasting energy convincing people that they HAVE to see things your way.

Stop being so upset that someone hates your opinion.

Sincerely,

TeamLakers

Last edited:
You don't want to win this season for a simple reason....

This team isn't going nowhere. You guys that are anti-tanking need to wake up. This team will be stuck in mediocre stage for the next 5 years if we don't tank this season. You guys are really crying about 1 season of tanking so that franchise that will be back to its roots for the next 10 years if we draft well?

You guys must love seeing the Lakers getting out of the first round. Cause that's what we'll be if we don't tank this season.

I'm all for winning, but sometimes if an L results in a brighter future for this team, than I'm all for it.

In today's NBA, it's all about building through drafts and having to suck to get those draft picks. The Lakers old method of grabbing franchise players and young players from other teams are over. The way that the CBA was set up was to stop the Lakers from doing this. Look at that CP3 deal, it got nixed right away, only because the Lakers were in on it.

seeing that this is a message board, disagreeing with people are debating is part of the fun. im sure all sides can understand both perspectives even though they may not agree, but without being able to come on NT and agree and disagree with fellow lakers fans we would just be sitting at home talking to ourselves during lakers games, and thats no fun.

lets just keep it civil 

What's the point of being a fan... If you don't want/expect them to win every time they play

Your pretty much a Laker hater... If you enjoy and celebrate their defeat...

As a realist, I know a championship Is a long shot, but I still expect for them to be professionals and play hard for the storied organization

Tanking is a cop out.. Sucker move.. Corny..

T Wolves and Sixers... Heck, even Kings are out there playing hard... Why shouldn't we

And now that Kobe is back, those dreams of tanking are gone..
Those memes of him playing 5 on 1 and that 2K controller with no pass button may come true, because it's no way he's going to let us purposely tank
I'm sure the last time he didn't make the playoffs still bothers him.

If he can take the Lakers to the playoffs with Mihm, Parker, and Walton in the starting lineup.. Anything is possible

After last year, why would anyone want worse?

I'm die hard til the end.. And every lost, I get texts and calls from Laker haters.. I rather none have us tank

Bruhs,

TeamTank has the Lakers best interest in mind, because they're future-minded.

TeamAntiTank has the Lakers best interest in mind, because they're present-minded.

They're both right.

Getting all frustrated that there's an entire camp of people opposite your opinion is just wasting your energy. For me personally, it's frustrating to see people get so worked up over someone else vehemently expressing a different opinion.

Just got done reading an article about 13 things mentally strong people don't do, and these were 2 of them:

"They Don’t Waste Energy on Things They Can’t Control

You won’t hear a mentally strong person complaining over lost luggage or traffic jams. Instead, they focus on what they can control in their lives. They recognize that sometimes, the only thing they can control is their attitude.

They Don’t Worry About Pleasing Everyone

Mentally strong people recognize that they don’t need to please everyone all the time. They’re not afraid to say no or speak up when necessary. They strive to be kind and fair, but can handle other people being upset if they didn’t make them happy."

Stop wasting energy convincing people that they HAVE to see things your way.

Stop being so upset that someone hates your opinion.

Sincerely,

TeamLakers
Both teams played hard.

but more on the draft, we all know kobe was drafted by us

so was bynum, who ended up developing into a top 2 center which we more or less traded for dwight howard (best center post shaq) straight up

we drafted marc gasol and ended up trading him for pau

so in recent history our draft picks have lead us to kobe, dwight howard AND pau gasol, which shows that when it comes to drafts mitch is pretty good at his job

same with kobe, im not sure he would have been picked that "early" if it wasnt for what jerry west saw in him. mitch seems to have a good eye for talent and i trust him to make the best choice for us going forward so why not give him more to work with (by getting a higher draft pick)
my point is that because the rules are different now, every team has the same platform in terms of scouting college talents. unless they are playing internationally of course

But no one who is "anti tank" is opposed to having a bad record this year.

That's the infuriating part. It's like we aren't allowed to hope for the best each game but be prepared for the worst... Which this season would end up in some good in the form of a high draft pick.

Just because some of us aren't fans of spending every one of our 82 game days cheering on our opponents doesn't mean we don't see the value in losses this year.

I DO.

You really think I wouldn't want Jabari Parker on my team? Sheesh.

But why do I have to sit in front of my tv and root for losses every night to prove to some dudes in my own fan base I'm not delusional and that I am indeed a fan of my team? Why can't I just root for my team to play well and enjoy the high draft pick if we don't?

Why is there all of a sudden an unwritten rule that "IF YOU CHEER FOR YOUR TEAM TO WIN, YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO BE A PART OF DRAFT DISCUSSIONS NEXT YEAR."

Oh really? So were exiled from NT because we weren't part of the "tank campaign?"
Exiled from our own thread during next years draft because we weren't rooting for losses like you were? I mean do you get how ridiculous that sounds?

We shouldn't be excited for our draft pick next year because the last season we were being regular fans and cheering our team on even though they sucked?

Were obviously not good man. Kobe's taking his sweet ol time, Pau's useless, and Nash is on his way to retirement. You really don't think we know we suck?

Yeah before the season some people
Mentioned playoffs, as well as me, but that was because we expected our stars to be healthy and they're obviously not.

We're not competing for ****.
So how is it delusional to cheer our underdog team on for fun? We aren't expecting a title. At this point playoffs might not even be realistic anymore. Were coming to grips on it.

And were excited seeing all these young prospects you and P are showing us, we really are. So if we lose the next 20 games will I be mad? NO. Not one bit.

But why do I have to watch the next 20 games and root for losses to be considered smart? Why can't I just be a fan who is rooting for competitive games and exciting finishes from my team full of scrubs, meanwhile realistically READY for the loss.

Isn't that reasonable? I mean I'm not yelling like I was last year during every game upset at every mistake. Like I said I expect losses, but why can't I enjoy my lakers basketball as much as I can while I watch? Why?

That's all I'm saying.

Let people root for wins, it doesn't mean we expect them realistically and it doesn't mean we think they're good for our future. It just means we want to enjoy our present and we want to enjoy our future.

Why can't we enjoy both?
That's all I'm tryna say.

I'm not anti top 5 pick. I'm not anti top 10 pick.

I'm not anti 20 game losing streak right now.

I'm just anti rooting for a loss for my team while I watch the damn game. I can't do that for 82 days, why does that make me less of a fan?

my point is that because the rules are different now, every team has the same platform in terms of scouting college talents. unless they are playing internationally of course
thats true. but one factor that people forget when it comes to drafting is the environment the player is put in, its part of the reason why the spurs always seem to get late round steals. there are a lot of draft picks that are considered busts because they were drafted by the wrong team, now im not sure how suited this lakers team and coaching staff is for developing young talent but i think its safe to say that a 7th pick level player from this years draft will be less likely to be called a bust if he is drafted by an organization like the lakers than if he's drafted by the mess that is the bobcats. 

so yeah the one year college rule evened the playing field in terms of drafting, but i have faith in our organization to bring out the most in whoever we draft 

thats true. but one factor that people forget when it comes to drafting is the environment the player is put in, its part of the reason why the spurs always seem to get late round steals. there are a lot of draft picks that are considered busts because they were drafted by the wrong team, now im not sure how suited this lakers team and coaching staff is for developing young talent but i think its safe to say that a 7th pick level player from this years draft will be less likely to be called a bust if he is drafted by an organization like the lakers than if he's drafted by the mess that is the bobcats. 

so yeah the one year college rule evened the playing field in terms of drafting, but i have faith in our organization to bring out the most in whoever we draft 
agreed. give me a hug

the_rick_james_gif_by_marupage82-d38mfzq.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom