**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

I'm sure most of us that are around Kobe's age remember this spot. For me, this was such a dope commercial. It felt unreal that someone the same age as me could be that dude. Back then when athletes weren't quite as prevalent in terms of marketing for everything as it has been in the last couple decades.

Of course like many others, obviously I didn't know him, but have "seen" him around several times - and as much of a legend he was, always felt like he was a homie from high school or someone.

This post is mad inappropriate. Not you Mr. J but the ig account. They are using Kobe’s death to push their religious agenda

Kobe was saved in only Catholics eyes. Christians (evangelical) basically consider Catholicism to be a whole other religion and think Catholics aren’t even saved themselves.

The man died. If he was at peace with god in his own respective religion, good for him. But to say go to mass and to use this mans death as a prop to advertise for Catholicism is straight up baffooonery

I think the message was great and I am not eve a catholic.
It doesnt matter what people in other faiths or non believers think. For Christians and his wife/family it means Kobe had faith in an afterlife and believed what is written in John 3:16. Ultimately Kobe’s faith is between Kobe and God.

i know I find consolation in knowing Kobe believed God would give him everlasting life.

The only thing i didnt like was the go to mass go to mass pitch. That part did sound like a bit of marketing.

Still can’t put into words what I’m feeling. His post Achilles/retirement coincided with me graduating from college and starting my adult life as I moved to a new country and everything. I couldn’t bring myself to watch his highlights the whole time because it would bring back too many emotions. Just the other day I finally watched some of his highlights on YouTube for the first time and all these memories came rushing back. Growing up watching Laker games was my remedy when things were tough and I could always revere in Laker victories like they were my own personal victories. Kobe was more than an inspiration. So much of my childhood, happiness, conversations with the homies revolved around him and what he did. Watching some more of his recent clips is what gets to me because his 2nd chapter was going to be even greater than the basketball part. He is still my idol to this day, it just evolved from an athlete to a loving father. Will miss you everyday Kob, thank you for everything.

Crying my *** off still.

Said it in the NBA thread but took work off tomorrow.
Gonna shoot all day until I can't.

1580116965588.png

Quinn at Staples today|l

I still dont want to accept this reality.

The world stopped today.

Logo will get changed in due time and Kobe will be immortalized forever.

Kobe and Chick reunited once again.

I been doing mad research and low key became an aviation expert in the last hour

Let fayetnam break down what happened (100% worth the read, not the typical inebriated fayetnam post, 100% srs)

So based on the chat transcript of the flight, it is known that the pilot was flying using VFR technique (visual flight rules) to navigate and fly the plane. This essentially means the pilot is relying on visual cues and easily recognizable landmarks to orient himself. This could include the horizon, geological landmarks, or freeways/roads. We know the pilot was using VFR and following the 5/101/118 freeways. He used this method to go from John Wayne to Burbank airspace

We then know the helicopter was chilling in the sky for 15-20 minutes in the Burbank and van Nuys airspace waiting for instruction to proceed. There was a delay due to the weather and the air traffic controller (atc) needing to manage other planes first. The option at this point was to request special VFR (s-VFR) permission (granted under certain circumstances that require the plane to fly low and below the clouds/fog where the pilot can still see the landmarks). Or to wait an additional period of time for an Instrument Flight Rules (IFR) route. IFR is essentially when a pilot uses the gauges in the plane (such as altitude, speed, level efc) to orient and fly the plane. This is the recommended technique for low visibility because you can’t rely on your own spatial awareness. Why can’t you rely on your own spatial awareness? Because when you can’t see you unknowingly become disoriented. You start to experience sensory illusions. You can’t judge the aircrafts orientation due to the brains misperception of spatial cues.

Here’s an excellent video that illustrates the effects of those illusions (skip to :42 to start)

The pilot opted for choosing a Special-VFR route. The benefits: you will reach the destination faster because you’re not flying high above clouds (less ascent and descent time) and you’re not waiting for a IFR flight plan. The cons: you are at more risk flying lower and with sketchy visibility. Not always granted and not recommended if you’re unfamiliar with the area or if there’s a lot of towers/mountains, for obvious reasons. So the pilot chose S-VFR, but because he had to fly low, he also lost radio communications/signal because there was a lot of interference at that altitude. Meaning he couldn’t communicate with air traffic control and they couldn’t monitor his route well

[the rest is plausible speculation]

So what ended up happening? Either 2 things, or likely, a combination of both.

1. the plane is traveling at low altitudes and is using visual cues and landmarks to navigate. However since it was very foggy, so much that IFR was likely necessary, it is assumed that the helicopter encountered dense fog. When encountering this fog it is believed that that the helicopter accidentally clipped a hill/mountain which caused it go out of control and crash. This is known as controlled flight into terrain (CFIT).

2. the helicopter received instruction to proceed and then encountered dense fog which dramatically reduced visibility. As seen in the video, when visibility is reduced, spatial awareness diminishes and it becomes difficult to keep the airplane balanced without the assistance of instruments. What ends up happening is that the pilot starts veering in a turn and at a downward angle. The instrument gauges that report altitude will indicate that you are losing altitude which naturally causes one to respond by pulling up on the lever to increase altitude. However, all this does is tighten the downward turn angle and exacerbates a downward spiral effect. The end result is what is known as a graveyard spiral. This could have happened and led to the crash

So it’s either of these situations or a hybrid. The pilot likely encountered fog, became disoriented, lost spatial awareness and visibility, and crashed into the mountain. The decision to use S-VFR likely rested on the fact that the pilot thought the conditions weren’t that bad, or, he was in a hurry to drop Kobe and the people off. Either way, he should have erred on the side of caution especially considering the weather conditions. The air traffic controller stated that visibility was 2.5 miles (considered less than marginal VFR conditions, aka poor conditions), but understand that these are the conditions at the specific airport where the plane was waiting for instruction— the area the plane crashed was several miles away and in higher terrain. Conditions can change rapidly (we know calabasas mountains was foggy af) so conditions may have even been worse. Plus 2.5 miles of visibility at 180 mph (what the plane was reported to be traveling at) only gives a pilot 50 seconds to observe, orient, decide, and act.

I don’t believe it was necessarily mechanical issues although that could be possible still. I don’t think it occurred because the aircraft was a dual engine plane. Meaning it would need both engines to fail. And if it did, the pilot can still utilize the autorotation technique to land safely (every helicopter pilot knows this)

So in short: it was a classic case of spatial disorientation. Or the pilot couldn’t see the mountain cause of fog, clipped the mountain, and crashed. Either way Pilot messed up.

Last edited:
Loved what Phil said: "He went beyond the viel."

Kobe was cut from a different reality. His transition from young man to father was a thing of dreams. He's a legend through and through.

Just woke up. 6am on the east coast...catching up on the thread...still hurt as hell.

Extremely upset I'm stuck here until friday.

I dont even feel like being at work today, yesterday was a nightmare and I had a hard time sleeping. Seeing Kobe come into the league when I was in 7th grade and seeing all the remarkable things he accomplished in his career really hit home for me.

Back
Top Bottom