**LA LAKERS THREAD** Sitting on 17! 2023-2024 offseason begins

oh, and D'Lol got new teef

He got rid of the og rat grill

View media item 2342436

491c65cca63147d183bd5e205502545a

Los Angeles Lakers: B

The Lakers wasted little time accomplishing part of the first of the three steps I outlined for the franchise after Tuesday's front-office makeover, moving Williams for future value. The Lakers don't need his production right now nearly as much as they need to continue adding to their young talent.

Taking back Brewer's contract obviously isn't ideal for the Lakers, who forfeit the cap room they stood to add by trading Williams for players in the last year of their deals. But if that was the only way they could get a first-round pick for Williams, I think it's an acceptable cost.

Barring surprising interest from one of the top players on the market, this summer isn't really when the Lakers should plan to strike in free agency anyway. Their chances at a star are much better in 2018, when DeMarcus Cousins and Paul George could be unrestricted free agents. And if the Lakers do need to clear max cap space for a free agent, they could always stretch the $7.6 million Brewer is owed next season and clear about $5 million in additional room.

The subtle benefit of trading Williams relates to my second recommendation for the Lakers: doing everything possible to finish with the league's second-worst record so they maximize their chances of drafting in the top three and keeping their pick (plus their 2019 first-rounder, which otherwise goes to the Orlando Magic unprotected).

Williams' efficient volume scoring was propping up the Lakers' record. With him on the court, according to NBA.com/Stats, the Lakers were outscored by just 1.3 points per 100 possessions. With Williams on the bench, they've been outscored by an incredible 12.3 points per 100 possessions, the worst off-court net rating for any Lakers player.
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/sto...on-rockets-deal-lou-williams-corey-brewer-nba

^ that is exactly what I was saying regarding the trade. Its fair. People salty about the trade don't understand business, the priorities of a bottom-tier team, or the value of an offense-only, high-usage rate scorer.

My local deli where I get all my inside NBA info is telling me the next two days will be something to see.

My mans Bob the butcher says they are looking at trading for brook Lopez or Marcus thorton whoever will take randle or Russell first

One worry I do have about the trade is maybe the Wizards did offer an unprotected first round pick and made the cap filler work, but the Lakers went with the Rockets offer because Pelinka has a relationship with Morey.

SCREAMING at the guy that called into Mason & Ireland to offer Lou, TRob and a pick for John Wall and the immediate hang up. :rofl:

jeanie canned mitch and jim in order to have time to make moves up until thursday. not sure if a good thing or a bad thing given the lakers current record. most likely a bad thing.

Just taking a look at Julius Randle, I think he’s another guy we are not particularly fair to. Should there be criticisms, concerns and questions? Yes, and while he has glaring limitations, he’s drastically improved in “Year 2,” from “Year 1.” Really sucks that we got robbed of year 1.

He’s currently playing the same amount of minutes (28.2) that he did last year. Within that...

The Good:
His FG% is up 5.8% (.429 to .487)... And has been consistent .486 in first 25games, .489 in last 25 games.
He is shooting 0.5 FTA more (basically same % to .716)
His FT rate has increased 4.5% to .368
His Assists has doubled from 1.8 to 3.6 per game
His Assist Rate has gone from 11.0 to 20.2 (while an only slight uptick in TOV% 13.5 to 17.0)
His Assist to Turnover Ratio has increased from 0.97 to 1.45
PPG is up 1.6/game on same amount of FGA / game
His PER is up from 13.9 to 15.6
True Shooting % has gone from .482 to .538
His Offensive Win Shares are already massively better at a 1.0 compared to -0.3
Defensive Win Shares is at 1.0, likely going to get to the 1.9 in 2015-16.
His FG% from 0-3 feet has increased from .568 to .636
From 10-16 feet he is deadly. Went from .227 to .525… Guys like Chris Bosh & Zach Randolph never made it over 50%
From 16ft

Last edited:
Brewer made the salaries work but it's annoying they didn't ask for McDaniel or something.

Brewer is a bum. Hope he doesn't play with Dlo.

KJ or any player who's anywhere halfway decent makes that 1st rd pick turn into a 2nd rd pick. It's already a late 1st as is. They did fine.

Well we won't really know if they could've got a better offer. Feel like they were just trynna do Lou a solid and send him some where he wanted to be.

I'll just say if Mitchell was out there talking about how much it'll take to get Lou, how there are so many deals for Lou, and there were all these rumors about how many teams wanted Lou, and we ended up taking Brewer's contract that lasts till next year, there would be outrage.

Okay I'm done lol.

General rule of thumb is better player = lesser pick, bad contract = higher pick. Well unless your the Kings.

Besides we already have enough young guys we trying to get minutes for already. And when Brewer ever does get in he accelerates the tank.

And if they did do Lou a solid by not sending him to Bolivia, other players will take notice of that as well.

And Mitch didn't operate with leaks so we'd never even know there were offers.

Last edited:
Spoke to people on both sides.

Pelinka called Harden to inform him that he was going to become GM of the Lakers. During the conversation Harden asked if Pelinka could help do them a solid and bring in Williams (half joking).

Magic had an offer from the Jazz, Wizards, Rockets. All similar deals and for a pick.

Magic approached Lou and his agent and told him that he wanted to do right by him. (Magic is really trying to get word around the league that he takes care of his players and looks out for them. Part of bringing in a good name to the Lakers org)

Lou chose Houston. The Lakers didn't choose Houston, Lou wanted to be here.

From a rocket insider.

Back
Top Bottom