Jay Z says 'My presence is charity', compares self to Obama in response to Harry Belafonte's critici

Clark,

Save all of that. I'm still in the hood although it is gentrifying. I lived in Bed Stuy and now Crown Heights. He may have not sold drugs in over 20 years but he still talks about it. American Gangster was an excuse to rap about it. As stated above, he's an infantile mid 40 year old.

Jay aint sold drugs in 20 years.
roll.gif
 U obviously have never stepped a foot in the ghettos of america. Selling drugs is so common in those neighborhoods that people dont even judge each other by it because everyones doing it. So if you sell drugs now your restricted from trying to change your life. Jay did contribute to hurting his community by selling crack but so did the CIA and Oliver North for bringing the coke in this country that actually supplied the crack epidemic. What the hell does Greek sculpture have to do with him personally. So if your black you can only like west african art. lol  Come on Fam. smh!
How do we know what Jay-Z is selling? Or isn't? Karrem Biggs just went to prison for drugs. Jay-Z can be loaning money to "friends" and getting paid off interest.

Secondly because it's common it's okay? That's the problem with the black community right there. It's not about who's to blame, it's about who is being morally responsible enough to feel obligated to fix it ...Like Harry, who sacrificed a singing and acting career to change the climate of African-American life for the better.

Thirdly it's not about Greek art, it's about the imperialistic hegemony of Western Culture and its psychological effect on the African-American identity in 2013.

Jay-Z is a role model for blacks, but his role models are middle aged openly homosexual (not that designers who do nothing for the black community.

Last edited:
I watched the interview and kinda chuckled when he said "that his presence was charity". I thought it was a bit audacious, but with all the moves he is making these days and all the connections I guess you can say that. And everyone values their time differently so I he considers his to be very valuable. I see no problem with that. The "charity" part is probably what is angering people. Maybe if he used another word like valuable, people wouldn't have been upset.
I agree and if Jay z mentioned some other things that he's done like his scholarship fund and when he helped with that water crisis in Angola or that earthquake in haiti ,people would of digested his answer better but oh well. The insecure people in the world finally have a reason to hate another celebrity even though jay didn't say anything that affected them personally. lol

I think that these wealthy black people have the opportunity to be great contributors the the black people of the US. They have money they spend on useless things like million dollar vacations, third and fourth 10 bedroom houses, and 10+ cars while its other black people out here starving. They could at least have a college fund set up for people trying to do something for themselves or something. If done correctly, they could be just as memorable to the black community as MLK.. Real talk.. Only way they actually give back to society directly is by trickin at the strip club...
just a few examples with a three second google search.

http://www.looktothestars.org/celebrity/jay-z

Best thing you can do for the poor is not be one of them.

How do we know what Jay-Z is selling? Or isn't? Karrem Biggs just went to prison for drugs. Jay-Z can be loaning money to "friends" and getting paid off interest.

Secondly because it's common it's okay? That's the problem with the black community right there. It's not about who's to blame, it's about who is being morally responsible enough to feel obligated to fix it ...Like Harry, who sacrificed a singing and acting career to change the climate of African-America life for the better.

Thirdly it's not about Greek art, it's about the imperialistic hegemony of Western Culture and its psychological effect on the African-American identity in 2013.

Im officially out of this thread

I think that these wealthy black people have the opportunity to be great contributors the the black people of the US. They have money they spend on useless things like million dollar vacations, third and fourth 10 bedroom houses, and 10+ cars while its other black people out here starving. They could at least have a college fund set up for people trying to do something for themselves or something. If done correctly, they could be just as memorable to the black community as MLK.. Real talk.. Only way they actually give back to society directly is by trickin at the strip club...

the ones you're talking about usually go broke.

there are wealthy black philanthropists out there. but you can't expect these few people to "save the hood" so to speak if the hood doesn't even begin to try to save itself. throwing money at a problem does not always fix it.

LOL @ Jay still selling crack/coke/anything but overhyped music and liquor.

dude is full of himself. i hope he gets a reality check quick. I'm surprised he last this long copying biggies music
mean.gif

Second year of Law School

24, no Kids, Have only lived with my parents for 1 year since I was 17.

Two Degrees, bachelors in Philosophy and Political Science.

Two Jobs, Work for Judge

#trashlife
smh - why are you even entertaining it?

That's cool ...

So was you inspire by Jay Z and if so in what way?
"Chains is cool the cop, but more important is lawyer fees"

"Ipo Hov no need to reverse merger, ya boy money talk no need to converse further."

Listening to Jay all these years, and him not being the afraid to be himself. That's inspiration. Everyone always tells you in order to be accepted in society the black male can't be proud of the stories from childhood, should scorn the drug dealing uncle that feed you when you didn't have anyhting to eat, the grind  you had to go through in order to make it out. I read books about Joe Kennedy and think "Why do the Irish get to love the crime they did in order to get out of the ghetto." Jay represents our struggle, the stuff we actually go through. That's how he inspires me, he represents a black kid from the hood making it to the actual billionaires club.

More importantly...damn man Black People hate each other more than white folk do. Thats the biggest problem in the black community, soon as one gets on he's either a Sambo or not doing enough. It just sucks that we can't ever be proud of seeing a black dude do it big, only those who wear a Kufi can make a difference in the black community. Thats crazy to me.

Last edited:
Cuz Jay doesn't just inspire drug dealers. People need to know.
That's cool ...

So was you inspire by Jay Z and if so in what way?
I know I was. He inspires me to want better for myself and to never be complacent. Obviously that can come from anywhere like your parents, who are also included in this for me, but so is Jay Z. 

For example I listen to Corporate Takeover before I have job interviews, big meetings, presentations Etc. A lot of his music is inspirational IDC what anyone says

Last edited:
I definitely feel Jay on that one.

"Be the change you wish to see in the world". Leading by example is inspiring and helpful in itself.

Also definitely agree with Jay's second point. To say he's not doing enough is one thing and and everyone is entitled to their own opinion/assessment, and if that's all that was said I could understand that. But to try to call him out like that and then big up the white man in the white media in an attempt to shame Jay, that's a real ***** ***, sucker move. Can't stand when black people do that to each other. Just as pathetic as calling each other uncle tom's. Get on the phone and dialogue with that man, offer to work together and build, show the same type of solidarity or unity to that man that you want him to show to his other brothers and sisters through charity. Don't be a ******g ho and do that goofy **** belafonte did. **** all that goofy **** man.

Dont really care about anything else in this thread but this is not true. He provides hope to anyone who thinks they deserve better in life and are living in what they believe to be undesirable circumstances. He is a true Rags to Riches story how can that not provide hope for someone. The same way that MJ provides hope to people out there that if they work hard enough they can make it to league, Jay Z does for people.

Hes provided hope for me and at the risk of being flamed to death for it, I will admit that hes done that more than Obama has for me. Is that a slight on Obama? No, its not really his fault that I dont care about politics at all, and as a result dont really care what he does, I respect him and his accomplishments however. I've just been listening to Jay Z since I was seven and his music along with his outside ventures have always been an interest of mine and something I make note of.
I just don't understand how people fail to see this....

People who have nothing or even barely making it working 40-50hrs a week turn to them and believe that could be them when listening to there music...

Even J. Cole knows the deal...
pimp.gif

"The more ****** sayin'
Cole the wrong one bringin' the city shine
All he ever doin' is paintin' pictures of crime
Tellin' stories of pain, paintin' pictures of dope
***** if you listen I'm paintin' pictures of hope
That boy in class embarrassed because he broke
Hopin' the day he won't be the butt of somebody's jokes
See me; I lived it all from dirt-poorin' and trailer
Worried about my mother and never trustin' my neighbors
To middle-class with a backyard and my own room
To bein' the only black kid in my homeroom
Academically gifted and followed my own rules
Was runnin' the streets hey ma I'll be home soon
Was out chasin' ho's, was out hoopin'
Them ****** wasn't ballin' but yet they was foul shootin'
So meet the newest role model who don't know how to fake this **** Never sold a rock and look I made it *****"
However just your presence is charity.....NAH BRUH!

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol: Belanfonte is a ho but Jay dissed him on media that white men made platinum. The lack of respect is crazy and the generational gap is apparent. If Belafonte didn't call Jay out you think he and Beyonce would have appeared at the Martin rally? He stands for nothing and never has.

Back
Top Bottom