Jay Z says 'My presence is charity', compares self to Obama in response to Harry Belafonte's critici

I dont understand why anyone is expecting better out of a Ex Drug Dealer who has done next to no charity workThat hes made public  in the past.
Fixed. The best form of giving is anonymous to anonymous.
If he was never home to get the boombox that his mom bought him for this birthday or if they didnt have a wooden kitchen table none of this would have ever happened. Right place right time.
Bruh...
I dont get it

we
If Jay Z is your role model your life is trash to begin with

well that's a little extreme. parts of his life can serve as inspiration perhaps to some, but he should not be viewed as the end all be all. there's other accomplished african-american figures out there to look up to and admire if that's an issue

Last edited:
If Belafonte didn't call Jay out you think he and Beyonce would have appeared at the Martin rally? He stands for nothing and never has.

Why wouldn't they? I know Beyonce has supported that family since last year. You think Jay feel like he has something to prove to Belafonte?

But jayz has been this way since day one...
This dude has never been conscious or rhymed like Common Sense( he even told you guys this,lol)
Now do I wish two of the biggest African American entertainers in the world would take a stand and put their necks out there to truly talk about the plight of poor and disenfranchised people,that would be awesome...
But it's not going to happen and that's sad but on the other hand I am tired of people looking up to false idols for opinions....We(not only African Americans) but the people of the US really need to unplug from the Matrix and fight for what they believe and when we fight " stand our ground", dont just protest for a month then go back and eat chick fil a or if you truly feel a certain way about an artist( jayz, Yeezus,etc) boycott their products.. This generation suffers from ADHD and as long as it doesn't impede on their liberties, they could give two *****...

Meh, I rock with Jay and he's an inspiration to me.

I can see the positives that he's doing and how the same ones the built you up, call for your head when you get too successful.

Definitely a double edged sword and a reason to be isolated in your own belief system and protective self-confidence.

Many of us are not hating. I dont hate Jay-Z. I just dont think he is an inspiration for anyone or is a charitable person.
Here is someone  here to say that he is an inspiration for me. There are many others, from Malcom to Ghandi, form Martin to Lincoln, Socrates to Alexander, Aesop to Confucious. I have many influences, Jay-z is one, he is probably the biggest because he is from the same situation that I am from. So to not think he is an inspiration to anyone, here is someone he is. And as far as charity, it's a fact that he does a lot of charity, as much as any other celebrity. So you can either ignore those who draws inspiration from his life and ignore the fact that he does charity. There are things called "facts. That is why people call you a hater, not because he doesn't inspire  you or doesn't meet your definition of "charitable person" but he does inspire people and does do charity.

Here is someone  here to say that he is an inspiration for me. There are many others, from Malcom to Ghandi, form Martin to Lincoln, Socrates to Alexander, Aesop to Confucious. I have many influences, Jay-z is one, he is probably the biggest because he is from the same situation that I am from. So to not think he is an inspiration to anyone, here is someone he is. And as far as charity, it's a fact that he does a lot of charity, as much as any other celebrity. So you can either ignore those who draws inspiration from his life and ignore the fact that he does charity. There are things called "facts. That is why people call you a hater, not because he doesn't inspire  you or doesn't meet your definition of "charitable person" but he does inspire people and does do charity.
I don't think he can even compare with those guys...AT ALL. 

Seriously? 

No way. Especially Malcolm, Ghandi, and Martin.

But maybe you're not comparing Jay to those guys, and if so my b. Just looks like it after you mentioned their names and followed up with Jay Z. 

Last edited:
"If skills sold, truth be told, I'd probably be Lyrically Talib Kweli
Truthfully I wanna rhyme like Common Sense But I did 5 mill' - I ain't been rhyming like Common since"

If he was never home to get the boombox that his mom bought him for this birthday or if they didnt have a wooden kitchen table none of this would have ever happened. Right place right time.

Bruh...

Pretty sure that's an Outliers joke.

Also, y'all should read The Unwinding by George Packer. He breaks down the concept of the 21st century American, and does a really interesting profile on Jay Z.

Also, if y'all wanna look down on Jay Z, then look down on the Kennedys, the founding fathers, just about every important American whose had a real impact on our culture and way of life.

America is a nation built on criminals laundering their money.

:smh:

If they stakes were higher now, like they were in the 60's....y'all would have turned your backs on Jay and let him get murked just like Malcolm did when he had a change of ideology.

The masses are good for nothing but to be led.

Jay motivated me to get my entreprenegro on. :pimp:

The image of Jay rocking a suit & tie back in the day sparked so many young black dudes in high school.

Cam had grown dudes rocking pink tees, Wayne got the hood tatting they face and buying red bandannas from beauty salons.

Post 2003 Jay had dudes rocking button ups and suits, motivated black entrepreneurship and black success in the corporate world

So yea his "image" is a charity. His moves as a black man who we've seen come from the bottom to almost a billie provides "Hope" to the young black who actually wants similar success.

Last edited:
What if belafonte tried contacting jay-z behind the scenes but jay didn't give him the time of day.

That doesn't seem to far fetched considering Robert DeNiro was tight at jay for ignoring his calls last year, so maybe belafonte tried discussing this in private but was ignored.

Jay motivated me to get my entreprenegro on. :pimp:

The image of Jay rocking a suit & tie back in the day sparked so many young black dudes in high school.

Cam had grown dudes rocking pink tees, Wayne got the hood tatting they face and buying red bandannas from beauty salons.

Post 2003 Jay had dudes rocking button ups and suits, motivated black entrepreneurship and black success in the corporate world

So yea his "image" is a charity. His moves as a black man who we've seen come from the bottom to almost a billie provides "Hope" to the young black who actually wants similar success.

37381-Damn-good-stuff-sir-gif-smOr.gif

What if belafonte tried contacting jay-z behind the scenes but jay didn't give him the time of day.

That doesn't seem to far fetched considering Robert DeNiro was tight at jay for ignoring his calls last year, so maybe belafonte tried discussing this in private but was ignored.

That does seem far-fetched seeing that neither one of them mentioned it.

Lord forbid the man who has fought for justice and equality half his life using his money to back the civil rights movement and got Fidel Castro to approve of hip hop in Cuba wants a successor .This man whose best years are behind him and doesn't have that long to live wants a successor for his people's sake .The fact jay z called him a boy and insulted him shows what type of man he is .Jay was quicker to do an anti semitisim ad faster than he was to do any other outreach .Hov is a hyper capitalist he can talk all that anonymous charity crap but let's be real he is quick to champion the nets or a clothing brand yet he won't mention a charity by name .

"Really try to think about Jay's "my presence is charity" one-liner and those clunkyMCHG  verses for a moment. "My presence is charity" turns Jay Z into some Ayn Randian beyond-good-and-evil force who changes the world just by waking up in the morning. That he also compared his presence to Obama's is downright offensive, because it isn't just that Obama's existence as president makes him inspirational, it's that his role as president allows him to bring about change. The American presidency isn't a symbolic abstraction like the Queen of England or the King of New York Rap. Meanwhile, those lines from "Nickel and Dimes" suggest that any critique of his actions just can't be tolerated. Jay Z is a rapper, which means he's a rhetorician, which means he knows exactly what he's doing here. This isn't money-grubbing rap-dude cluelessness, or even delusion. It's a power move. He's ending a conversation that should be allowed to continue, because ending it works to his advantage."

BTW, Belafonte's argument is the same argument that I have brought up in the past. Like it or not, our celebrities have a responsibility to our youth.

Last edited:
:lol: @ these stories of dudes being inspired by Jay in this thread just to battle against the hate for him.

Yall dudes don't got nothing better to do.

To me, no mans presense is charity. Not Obama, not Jay-z, not anybody. That's not enough. Your **** stinks too. You are not god. By the sound of some of you, you would bow down to this man. Who much is given then much is required.

That's the only problem I have with the statement he made. I'm sure he donates a bunch of money but your presense is not charity.

To me, he is nothing but a successful musician and entrepreneur. Thats it. He is not a revolutionary like Bob Marley or Peter Tosh who used music as a way to fight for human rights. He has never been outspoken about any of those issues. That's not a knock to Jay but this why his presense is just not enough. Who the **** do you think you are? How can I take you seriously when most of your music is about materialism and how much weight you pushed? What is your cause other than making more money?

This is not say he isn't great at what he does but lets all remember, he is nothing but a successful musician and entrepreneur. He is not the first black president, MLK, or Malcom. To me, he cannot be mentioned amongst those men.

Now, I can understand how he can be someone to look up to but I would hope that he is not your only role model. I would hope your Parents have a bigger influence but I understand some aren't as fortunate to have great parents to look up to.

Last edited:
Last semester I saw a poster for the Shawn Carter Scholarship fund giving $2,500 Grants to anyone convicted of a drug crime and therefore ineligible for Federal/State Tuition assistance.

Is that considered charity, or nah?

:lol: @ these stories of dudes being inspired by Jay in this thread just to battle against the hate for him.

Yall dudes don't got nothing better to do.
To combat the hate? Nope, someone asked if anyone's actually been inspired by him and I responded.
Last semester I saw a poster for the Shawn Carter Scholarship fund giving $2,500 Grants to anyone convicted of a drug crime and therefore ineligible for Federal/State Tuition assistance.

Is that considered charity, or nah?
me it is. He's giving away money and to people who otherwise wouldn't get it.

Back
Top Bottom