IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

Last edited:
Why doesn't Kobe seem to be able to get his teammates to play in a more cohesive fashion, spreading the ball around, moving without the ball, communicating, then looking like a tight, finely tuned unit?

Why does it seem that without Phil Jackson as coach, and without Fisher on the team, that the Lakers seem to be a ship without a rudder?

Anybody know?

I mean, they do have an all time, potential top five player on that team, right?

Shouldn't people be enthused to play with, and then for this guy?
:lol: I applaud your effort man

I mean, dang! We are talking about Kobe freakin' Bryant here! The Black Mamba! 

Don't those guys know that he carried Shaq to a chip? Made Phil Jackson look like a genius? I mean come on guys, don't they know that it's a privilege to play on KOBE'S team? 

member with that ETHER

repped x 10000000000000.

im no kobe d rider, either.......... once hes out the L, it's happy days again. never have to see him again/think about him again.

he'll never be a world phenom/likable dude like MJ therefore, for that reason alone, he's never sniffin the throne.  now add in mjs player efficiency/defensive skillset.....did kome ever get DPOY?  doubt it......

so, overrated? yes, there are plenty of people (team players with a great skillset) id take before ratty.

DUMBEST THING I"VE HEARD ALL DAY

A lot of misfortune poor folk in here. Jealousy and envy.

:rofl: :rofl: nobody is jealous of your Kobe Fandom

Why doesn't Kobe seem to be able to get his teammates to play in a more cohesive fashion, spreading the ball around, moving without the ball, communicating, then looking like a tight, finely tuned unit?

Why does it seem that without Phil Jackson as coach, and without Fisher on the team, that the Lakers seem to be a ship without a rudder?

Anybody know?

I mean, they do have an all time, potential  top five player on that team, right?

Shouldn't people be enthused to play with, and then for this guy?
kobe is a sg not pg. bball 101. although he is involved to an extent in regards to this that is not his true position.

You're lying. Flat out, bold faced lying.
Jason Kidd, in a BILLION years is or never was as good as Kobe at the game of basketball.
The guy was a great floor general, and he plays the gam differently than a lot of guys, but he was similar to Magic in that at 6-4, he was unique for a PG. That unique PG also shot seasons like this
Those are SHOOTING PERCENTAGES. Those are real life, REAL, shooting percentages, and you guys want to discredit Kobe's shooting?
roll.gif

Those are JUST the seasons below 40%. I didn't even include the 40's, the 41's, etc. Why bother?
So what, he makes it up with rebounding, or, 1 more rebound a game than Kobe. Wow.
Or assists, or in other words, his 8.9 a game, to Kobe's 4.7, huge disparity, for such a talented PG that does nothing but distribute, or so the story gets told.
Kobe, the ULTIMATE ball hog, is 4 less assists a game than Kidd, the floor general, the great passer, the elite PG, the player that is, *
laugh.gif
* better than Kobe.
Lemme guess, he is defensively way over Kobe's head. Where everyone now sees Kobe is not the defensive player he once was, for well over a dozen years Kobe was just as nasty on D as Kidd was.
Kobe's speed was just as fast as Kidd's was, Kobe had far more range than Kidd, jumped higher, had more bounce when going up, landing and going back up, not Matrix like like Shawn Marion, but certainly quicker than Kidd.
Kobe's ball handling was always very good, just as Kidd's was.
So, going "deeper" in here is nothing more than the trolls of the S&T department of Niketalk are just shoveling ******** and digging everyone deeper and deeper and deeper indeed. Kidd is NOWHERE near the player Kobe is, or ever was. Kidd was great, is a sure fire HOFer, and still not in the same realm of what Kobe did on the court.
We've gotten to pure ******g ridiculousness that names like Pierce, Kidd, Carmelo can just be thrown out, and haters eat it up and are like yeah, I could see that. Pretty soon we'll be rehashing Vince, AI, TMac, Grant Hill, Gilbert Arenas, Mugsy Bogues, and all sorts of other names that are "just as good as Kobe, they just didn't play with Shaq" And then watch NTer after NTer cosign it over and over and over as gospel.
But hey, I have Lakers in my sig, everything I just said bout Kobe and Kidd ain't true, I made it all up. Thas how it goes.
You just don't get it.

First of all, Kobe is a 45% career shooter. Jason Kidd is 40%.

You can sit there and criticize Kidd's shooting ability. Fine. 40% is poor. 45% is average.

BUT... a 45% shooter taking 19.5 shots per game in his career is not better than a 40% shooter taking 11.5 shots per game. They're pretty even if you ask me. You could say that both players shot more than their (lack of) efficiency should allow them to.

Then you want to quantify Kidd's assists average and say "he only averages 4 assists more per game than Kobe." Are you serious? You just don't have the mental capacity to grasp how drastic 4 assists/game is. It's nearly DOUBLE what Kobe has averaged throughout his career.

I mean, dang! We are talking about Kobe freakin' Bryant here! The Black Mamba! 

Don't those guys know that he carried Shaq to a chip? Made Phil Jackson look like a genius? I mean come on guys, don't they know that it's a privilege to play on KOBE'S team? 
But why do you have to exaggerate points to support your claims. NOBODY in here said any of that dude.

LOL @ comparing Kidd's shooting percentages with Kobe's. You seriously think that shooting 38-40% on 13 shots per game is as cancerous for a team as shooting 43-45% on 23 shots per game? Essentially comparing a player who can only dominate a game through scoring with a player who dominates the game through anything but scoring. Scoring is the dead LAST way Jason Kidd impacts the game. He even dominated a game more with his rebounding than scoring, even though he's a point guard.

Kobe's suprised me with his shooting efficiency this season. I certainly wouldn't have thought that he would be shooting 49% after 20 games. But of course he has to balance it out with a **** load of turnovers and atrocious defense. I'm sure he'll be all-D 1st team at the end of the season though.

kobe is a sg not pg. bball 101. although he is involved to an extent in regards to this that is not his true position.
Bill Russell wasn't a point man.

Doc wasn't a point man.

Wilt wasn't a point man.

Bird wasn't a point man.

Kareem, wasn't a point man.

Jordan wasn't a point guard.

bball 101

Team cohesion while on court, single purpose, come together and WIN.

Doc wasn't a point man.
Wilt wasn't a point man.
Bird wasn't a point man.

bball 101

yet all those player you just named also had good teammates. but i doubt they had to make up for the top three offensive players on the team all at once.

when nash is out, gasol is out, and howard is struggling from the line, who scores the points? metta? duhon? ebanks? kobe took more shots and shot over 50% to score 42. he is not a point guard and you dont get assists if your teammates dont score points. howard might be a force inside, but if he gets fouled every time he touches the ball, he goes to the line. what is he 45% this season from the stripe? so that is almost the same as throwing the ball away. wouldnt you shoot the ball if you made over 50% of your shots compared to the guy that cant even hit a freethrow?
sure kobe should pass the ball more to get others involved in the offense, but if he's making shots, he believes it is better to put up the points than give it to players who cant even make a shot or get open.

bill russell had bob cousy, john havlicek, bill sharman, frank ramsey (all HOF)
wilt had jerry west, gail goodrich
bird had mchale, parish, dennis johnson, danny ainge
kareem had oscar robertson, magic, worthy, cooper, wilkes
jordan had pippen, grant, rodman, harper, armstrong etc.

Doc wasn't a point man.
Wilt wasn't a point man.
Bird wasn't a point man.

bball 101

yet all those player you just named also had good teammates. but i doubt they had to make up for the top three offensive players on the team all at once.

when nash is out, gasol is out, and howard is struggling from the line, who scores the points? metta? duhon? ebanks? kobe took more shots and shot over 50% to score 42. he is not a point guard and you dont get assists if your teammates dont score points. howard might be a force inside, but if he gets fouled every time he touches the ball, he goes to the line. what is he 45% this season from the stripe? so that is almost the same as throwing the ball away. wouldnt you shoot the ball if you made over 50% of your shots compared to the guy that cant even hit a freethrow?
sure kobe should pass the ball more to get others involved in the offense, but if he's making shots, he believes it is better to put up the points than give it to players who cant even make a shot or get open.

bill russell had bob cousy, john havlicek, bill sharman, frank ramsey (all HOF)
wilt had jerry west, gail goodrich
bird had mchale, parish, dennis johnson, danny ainge
kareem had oscar robertson, magic, worthy, cooper, wilkes
jordan had pippen, grant, rodman, harper, armstrong etc.

Nah son, logic doesnt work in these type of threads. Just pure emotion.

You're lying. Flat out, bold faced lying.

Jason Kidd, in a BILLION years is or never was as good as Kobe at the game of basketball.

The guy was a great floor general, and he plays the gam differently than a lot of guys, but he was similar to Magic in that at 6-4, he was unique for a PG. That unique PG also shot seasons like this

Those are SHOOTING PERCENTAGES. Those are real life, REAL, shooting percentages, and you guys want to discredit Kobe's shooting? :rofl:

Those are JUST the seasons below 40%. I didn't even include the 40's, the 41's, etc. Why bother?

So what, he makes it up with rebounding, or, 1 more rebound a game than Kobe. Wow.

Or assists, or in other words, his 8.9 a game, to Kobe's 4.7, huge disparity, for such a talented PG that does nothing but distribute, or so the story gets told.
Kobe, the ULTIMATE ball hog, is 4 less assists a game than Kidd, the floor general, the great passer, the elite PG, the player that is, * :lol: * better than Kobe.

Lemme guess, he is defensively way over Kobe's head. Where everyone now sees Kobe is not the defensive player he once was, for well over a dozen years Kobe was just as nasty on D as Kidd was.

Kobe's speed was just as fast as Kidd's was, Kobe had far more range than Kidd, jumped higher, had more bounce when going up, landing and going back up, not Matrix like like Shawn Marion, but certainly quicker than Kidd.

Kobe's ball handling was always very good, just as Kidd's was.

So, going "deeper" in here is nothing more than the trolls of the S

You just don't get it.

First of all, Kobe is a 45% career shooter. Jason Kidd is 40%.

You can sit there and criticize Kidd's shooting ability. Fine. 40% is poor. 45% is average.

BUT... a 45% shooter taking 19.5 shots per game in his career is not better than a 40% shooter taking 11.5 shots per game. They're pretty even if you ask me. You could say that both players shot more than their (lack of) efficiency should allow them to.

Then you want to quantify Kidd's assists average and say "he only averages 4 assists more per game than Kobe." Are you serious? You just don't have the mental capacity to grasp how drastic 4 assists/game is. It's nearly DOUBLE what Kobe has averaged throughout his career.

Ok, I'll say this as nicely as I can..........WHAT? :lol:

Walk me thru this, so, Kidd, shooting WORSE, on FEWER shots, is pretty much even, to a guy who shoots BETTER, on MORE shots?

That makes sense to you?

So, if Kidd took 8 more shots, his average would, improve? :lol:

And lastly, a PG, gets 4 more assists than a SHOOTING guard? Word?

Well hell, Kobe must really be slackin, cuz Wilt got tons more rebounds than Kobe ever did, so Kobe must be overrated, he don't get boards.

Am I doin this right? :nerd:

All, up and down thru here you guys have knocked Kobe for missing shots, THEN, you tell me Kidd is better than Kobe, and ignore that he can't make a single solitary shot, unless he's spotting up. Kidd is a catch and shoot only scorer his career. That's what he can do. (and layups, of course)

Kobe meanwhile can get any shot on the floor, either side, either hand, angles, glass, post, create from the dribble, pull ups, fading, whatever. He can get a look. And he can hit, at 45%, not great, but not horrible.

Kidd can catch and shoot, thas it. And misses worse than Kobe does.

But he's better, cuz as a PG, he gets 4 more assists, that mean so much to his team. :lol:

Christ.

Back
Top Bottom