IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

1 made shot more per game.

That like the Grand Canyon of differences .

Not good with math huh?
In fact, I am pretty good with math, knowing that in order for Kobe to reach fifty percent, he would have to double his current shot load over the course of the next season, and then make at least 85% of those shots.

Would you like to debate that?

I want to how many more shots Kobe missed per game

MJ was at 22.9 attempts per game with 11.4 makes = 11.5 misses a game
Kobe is at 19.6 attempts per game with 8.9 makes = 10.7 misses a game

So MJ took more shots, made more shots and missed more shots on a per game basis in his career.

He also averaged more points, blocks, steal, assists and rebounds than Kobe. More Championships, more championships as the #1 player, 3 times more finals MVPs, 5x more regular season MVPs etc. etc. etc. all in a shorter span of time.

Let's not even bring MJ into this comparison.

Just the fact that a decent amount of people think Kobe is better than or close to Jordan proves the validity of this thread.

The whole point of comparing MJ's attempts/makes/misses to Kobe's was to show how big (or small) of a difference there is in regards to their FGAs. One part of their game.

In other words, how little the missed FG record matters.

Not to try to compare Kobe's greatness to MJ's. Talk about jumping to conclusions :lol:

You guys always ***** and moan about Kobe stans jumping through hoops to defend him. Half the time you guys are just throwing words into guys' mouths so you have something to complain about.

Last edited:

So MJ took more shots, made more shots and missed more shots on a per game basis in his career.
He also averaged more points, blocks, steal, assists and rebounds than Kobe. More Championships, more championships as the #1 player, 3 times more finals MVPs, 5x more regular season MVPs etc. etc. etc. all in a shorter span of time.

Just the fact that a decent amount of people think Kobe is better than or close to Jordan proves the validity of this thread.
where is this "decent amount of people think kobe is better than jordan"?

if you keep imagining people that dont exist then i can understand why you think he's overrated 

In fact, I am pretty good with math, knowing that in order for Kobe to reach fifty percent, he would have to double his current shot load over the course of the next season, and then make at least 85% of those shots.

Would you like to debate that?

LMFAO so you mean what Kobe would have to do to reach 50% career FROM NOW ON?

You cannot be serious

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA

The whole point of comparing MJ's attempts/makes/misses to Kobe's was to show how big (or small) of a difference there is in regards to their FGAs. Because they play similar.

In other words, how little the missed FG record matters.

Not to try to compare Kobe's greatness to MJ's. Talk about jumping to conclusions :lol:

You guys always ***** and moan about Kobe stans jumping through hoops to defend him. Half the time you guys are just throwing words into guys' mouths so you have something to complain about.

View media item 540596

I think the way that people hail Kobe and downplay so many other greats, when he has a gaping flaw in his game, makes him overrated.

Actually, .497, but yeah, 50.

Dancing? You're the one that said, I quoted YOUR post, who the **** is dancing?

Ok? You choose Hakeem, k? You aren't making a point really. You have Hakeem higher, you say he's got a better all around game, but have Kobe at 12. That's fine. You have Hakeem inside 12, so?
I never said that Kobe doesn't have an "all around" game as you stated.

I said that other had a more balanced game than him, that others were more versatile and greater players.

The point is that many people have Kobe as a top 5/7 player all time and they refuse to acknowledge his flaws (like you) and for that reason he is overrated in the rankings of basketball greats.

It's a simple concept, one that is debated endlessly in sports circles.

Your bias just won't let you intelligently engage in a simple discussion.
usually when you say someone has a gaping flaw in his game it means he doesnt have an all around game 

Golden, lemme ask you, you keep bringing Iverson up, where do you want him slotted, all time?

You have Kobe at 12, where do you have/want Iverson?

LMFAO so you mean what Kobe would have to do to reach 50% career FROM NOW ON?

You cannot be serious

HAHAHAAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHA
You can laugh all you want, but his efficiency is what was in question. Yes, that is what he'd have to do, in order to be equal to that of Jordan in regard to shooting efficiency.

where is this "decent amount of people think kobe is better than jordan"?

if you keep imagining people that dont exist then i can understand why you think he's overrated 

Just type "Kobe better" in Google and it will finish the statement for you.

Numerous articles will pop up.

We've all heard it before. It has even been posted in here. Stop acting oblivious.

Last edited:
Just type "Kobe better" in Google and it will finish the statement for you.

Numerous articles will pop up.

We've all heard it before. It has even been posted in here.

you can do this with literally any top tier player

i type "lebron better" first suggestion: "lebron better than jordan stats"

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/118815-allen-iverson-lebron-james-the-answer-vs-the-king

i typed "iverson better" and found an article comparing allen iverson to lebron james

http://sidelinesapp.com/item/will-andrew-wiggins-be-better-than-lebron-james-and-mj/

heres an article i found on google talking about if wiggins will be better than lebron or mj

i type "grant hill better" and the first suggestion is "grant hill better than mj"

so by your criteria every nba player ever is overrated 

And...let's back to the facts instead of your emotional 30 for 30 narration and irrelevant pics of championship trophies.

Dude, not the trophy, look at his fingers man. The point I was making about his shooting hand, look at his fingers. :lol:

Its an 82 game season banging with some of the most physical imposing human beings on the planet. Then the playoff turn it up another notch.

Injuries happen man.

A torn tendon on the non-shooting hand of a shooter can be as distracting as an injury to their shooting hand.

View media item 1266273
Bron's leg cramps in multiple Finals series?

All players have to deal with injuries.

What are you saying?

Last edited:
How many of those articles come from somewhere that really matters?

The most "legit" looking thing I can see is a Bleacher Report article from 2010, and it's a slideshow :lol:

I'm sure there's a lot of people that will try to have that argument. Doesn't mean you have to assume every Kobe/Laker fan thinks the same as Drake Oz (who?), or Nick Young and Brandon Jennings, or Stephen A Smith.

Nobody's oblivious to the fact that there are idiots who scream stuff like this... it's just not really an issue.

Last edited:
90% of drake oz's articles are about WWE summerslam and people are getting mad at his opinion on kobe and mj as if he's some legitimate basketball journalist 
laugh.gif

Top 10 scorers in NBA history: FGA career

1. KAJ- 17.7
2. Malone- 17.8
3. MJ- 22.9
4. Kobe-19.6
5. Wilt- 22.5
6. Shaq- 16.7
7. Moses- 14.5
8. Elvin- 18.6
9. Dirk- 16.6
10. Hakeem- 17.0
11. Big O- 16.1
12. Nique- 20.1
13. Havlicek- 18.1
14. KG- 15.0
15. English-17.6

Other notables, Logo- 18.7, AI- 21.8, Bron- 18.1, Melo- 19.7, KD-19.2, Miller - 12.6

With the exception of Reggie Miller and maybe the Big O, every wing player listed would be considered a volume shooter, you don't become a great scorer/scoring champion without shooting the ball and in the top 10 right now, only MJ and Kobe are guards.

People have different definitions of chucker, but to me if you're taking more than a 1/4 of your teams shots, you should fall into that category. Kobe, MJ, Melo, AI, Bron, KD, and nearly every wing in the top scoring list fall into that category because inherently it's more difficult for them to score relative to the big guys. The degrees of efficiency to which these players do this has been documented, but they all shoot a lot of shots, some it takes more to get the same number of points, some less. In reality though these players are a lot more worried about their percentages than the previous generation, hell they'll intentionally not take shots at the end of halves/qtrs cause it seems like they're worried about their stats.

Top 10 scorers in NBA history: FGA career

1. KAJ- 17.7
2. Malone- 17.8
3. MJ- 22.9
4. Kobe-19.6
5. Wilt- 22.5
6. Shaq- 16.7
7. Moses- 14.5
8. Elvin- 18.6
9. Dirk- 16.6
10. Hakeem- 17.0
11. Big O- 16.1
12. Nique- 20.1
13. Havlicek- 18.1
14. KG- 15.0
15. English-17.6

Other notables, Logo- 18.7, AI- 21.8, Bron- 18.1, Melo- 19.7, KD-19.2, Miller - 12.6

With the exception of Reggie Miller and maybe the Big O, every wing player listed would be considered a volume shooter, you don't become a great scorer/scoring champion without shooting the ball and in the top 10 right now, only MJ and Kobe are guards.

People have different definitions of chucker, but to me if you're taking more than a 1/4 of your teams shots, you should fall into that category. Kobe, MJ, Melo, AI, Bron, KD, and nearly every wing in the top scoring list fall into that category because inherently it's more difficult for them to score relative to the big guys. The degrees of efficiency to which these players do this has been documented, but they all shoot a lot of shots, some it takes more to get the same number of points, some less. In reality though these players are a lot more worried about their percentages than the previous generation, hell they'll intentionally not take shots at the end of halves/qtrs cause it seems like they're worried about their stats.
The thing about math, it's pretty much proven in regard to numbers and what they mean. One plus one equals two.  However, in discussions such as this, numbers can be used to promote a false equivalence, such as what Kobe Bryant does, versus what everyone else has done before him.

Misleading isn't strong enough of a term to describe what is being done in the above post.

Here is a fact, Kobe Bryant has missed more shots than anyone else, period.

Kobe's current team while besting this record, is currently ONE AND NINE.

The Lakers could not sign one top level free agent this past year, even though they had money, Hollywood and a legacy to offer.

[img]http://www.brothersonsports.co...7509800306438_228975142650928595_n1.jpg[/img]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom