IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

T-Mac and Kobe were pretty neck and neck when they were both 100% physically. A lot of people gave Tracy the slight nod because of his size.

I'm not a Bron, T-Mac or Vince Carter an just a fan of the game.

I think the way that people hail Kobe and downplay so many other greats, when he has a gaping flaw in his game, makes him overrated.

If you can't distinguish between the top 20 players in the game then this discussion isn't for you.

If MJ was outside the consensus Top 5, he would certainly be underrated. If Kobe is in the consensus top , then is is certainly overrated.

Simple as that.
what is this gaping flaw in his game? 

kobe has flaws just like every other all time great but i dont see any gaping flaw in his game 

Has Kobe Bryant ever played with anyone he actually thought was a winner, or actually respected?

I mean that list is looooooooonng in regard to the beefs he has had with Hall of Fame players, and coaches, those that he has actually played with and for.

Nobody was ever good enough, and for a while, that even included Phil Jackson.
shaq, pau gasol,   they were past their prime but malone and payton off of track record and accomplishments.

regarding the beefs and issues he's had in regards to teammates.   i won't blindly defend him but i will say that he gets an excessive bad rap for them, and people like to paint him out as the sole reason of blame in those situations.

thing with him and shaq, both have gone and record and stated they wished they handled it differently.    shaq has burned his fair share of bridges and clashed with high profile coaches as well (pat riley) and has left a few different organizations on unideal terms.    He's a more likeable personality though, so in my opinion that gets swept under the rug more. 

Dudes just start talking about anything when trying to discredit kobe like michael jordan wasn't an ******* too

shaq, pau gasol,   they were past their prime but malone and payton off of track record and accomplishments.

regarding the beefs and issues he's had in regards to teammates.   i won't blindly defend him but i will say that he gets an excessive bad rap for them, and people like to paint him out as the sole reason of blame in those situations.

thing with him and shaq, both have gone and record and stated they wished they handled it differently.    shaq has burned his fair share of bridges and clashed with high profile coaches as well (pat riley) and has left a few different organizations on unideal terms.    He's a more likeable personality though, so in my opinion that gets swept under the rug more. 

you sir are making way too much sense

winning 5 championships while being a bad teammate that no one likes or wants to play with is pretty impressive 
No it isn't, because nobody went to play with that guy who supposedly won five this past off season.

The one guy who tried to stick it out, is now in Chitown.

This, back when I used to dislike Kobe any bad news that came out? Kobes fault

K^^ kobe was always better then Tracy...... I remember all that talk that Tracy was better back when we had Malone and gp for a year.... Mcgrady had scored a ish load in the first half.... 2nd half Kobe completely shuts him down.....
It was at that moment Tracy knew he wasn't on kobes level..

Do you know what else Kobe is the best at?

Having his supporter never, ever, accept any blame for his current situation in LA, which is largely social. 

It wasn't his fault that people didn't like him, they should have understood.

It is not his fault that many do not like him now, it is the Laker front office.

Keep shooting, Kobe. 

Beat Jordan, no matter how many shots it takes.

Last edited:
Who are all these many players the lakers missed out on? I must have missed something

The only big name who actually changed teams is Bron and he was never going to la anywayy

winning 5 championships while being a bad teammate that no one likes or wants to play with is pretty impressive 
No it isn't, because nobody went to play with that guy who supposedly won five this past off season.

i heard kevin durant is a bad teammate, since no one went to OKC.

same with anthony davis. no one wants to ride his coattails to a championship either.

all of them, terrible teammates.

His shot selection and leadership as demonstrated time and time again throughout his career is clearly a flaw in his game.

Bron doesn't have that knock against him, Hakeem and Duncan did EVERYTHING on the floor and were 7 footers, Big O averaged a triple double, Wilt was invincible (outside of one player). Bill Russel is the benchmark for NBA greatness, Do you see Larry Bird's numbers?, MJ's legacy is getting better as time goes on....

I mean all of these great players and people swear up and down that Kobe the undisputed GOAT, top 2/3/5 easily etc.

As a fan of the game, that rubs me the wrong way and puts him in the category of overrated imo.

Do you know what else Kobe is the best at?

Having his supporter never, ever, accept any blame for is current situation in LA, which is largely social. 

It wasn't his fault that people didn't like him, they should have understood.

It is not his fault that many do not like him now, it is the Laker front office.

Keep shooting, Kobe. 

Beat Jordan, no matter how many shots it takes.
All fans do that, Lebron, Manning, Kobe, MJ.

You got alot people saying Jordan is the perfect NBA player, If you mention someone else as the GOAT they flip ****.

And not that I agree with him but to be fair non of those teams have cap space like the Lakers did

what are people expecting in 2014 out of a player that was drafted in 1996?
When he was drafted has nothing to do with how he plays, which is what people have always criticized him for.

"Oh, c'mon, he was drafted in 96."

And?

He was chucking in 97. Chucking in 05. Chucking in 14. If he plays next year, he'll be chucking then, too, and people will knock him for it, and fans will ask "What do you expect? Drafted in 96."

Criticism isn't an expectation of something. I don't criticize him in order for him to change; he doesn't know me. How can I reasonably expect him to change what I'm criticizing him for?

I don't.

It's not about what people expect; we don't know him and he doesn't know us.

same with anthony davis. no one wants to ride his coattails to a championship either.

Until stories like those about Bryant begin to surface with Durant, I think that we all know that LA sells itself. The legacy, Hollywood, fan support, money, access to all the spoils any professional athlete can dream of, yet they didn't come.

Why is that?

Because there is one overrated player there hogging the ball, who will blame you, the free agent, if they do not win.

OKC is a nice place to visit, but it isn't Los Angeles. 

You are lying when you say you heard that.

If you're not lying, then who did you hear it from?

"I heard..." is different than "I conclude..."

People aren't saying Kobe's a bad teammate JUST because so few top players have signed with us over the years; they're saying it because of that fact, AND the people who haven't joined us, AND the criticisms of teammates who have left.

3 things, not just 1.

And coaches.

So 4.

what are people expecting in 2014 out of a player that was drafted in 1996?
When he was drafted has nothing to do with how he plays, which is what people have always criticized him for.

"Oh, c'mon, he was drafted in 96."

And?

He was chucking in 97. Chucking in 05. Chucking in 14. If he plays next year, he'll be chucking then, too, and people will knock him for it, and fans will ask "What do you expect? Drafted in 96."

Criticism isn't an expectation of something. I don't criticize him in order for him to change; he doesn't know me. How can I reasonably expect him to change what I'm criticizing him for?

I don't.

It's not about what people expect; we don't know him and he doesn't know us.

Basically.

He has missed the most shots in NBA history people.

He's on track to miss the most shots per game in NBA history this season.

Since Kobe Bryant entered the NBA in 1996, there have been 8 instances of a player attempting 24 FG in any half. Bryant has 6 of them.

Lets be real here, that's a huge knock against him. Take the blinders off for a second.

Other greats had more balanced all around games than him.

He is and has always been a chuck.

Last edited:
How did the Wizards not win a championship with all those great players lining up to play with Jordan?
Players were willing to come out of retirement to play with Jordan his first year back, and vets were willing to take on salary cuts in order to play with him. However, due to cap room, much of it wasn't possible. 

Jordan's interest with the Wizards was about business, he wanted to own that team, not win a chip with it.

Back
Top Bottom