IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

The difficulty of comparing different positions and players. Some value certain stats more than others. Preference and bias always affect how we view and present stats, that was my point. You can yell 'facts' and 'no bias' but there is still a subjective element to statistics. Sometimes the easiest way to compare a career is to think of your favorite team and just ask the simple question of ''which player would I have rather had play their career out for my team'?

Between Kobe and TD, it is TD for me. And I can think of at least a few others in NBA history who I would've rather had. Again thiugh, some are acting like having Kobe a top ten all time is a slight towards him. Hardly

My stance exactly.

Last edited:

Yeah, I also have one on NFL QB's, the New England Patriots draft picks, NBA Salaries, the Cubs, the top Movie Box Office, Oscars, and about 25 other spreadsheets.

Would you like to view any of them? PM me your email address and I can send you a couple.
you sound like a real ladykiller

do you keep hardcopies with you as well?

no matter what spreadsheet you have Kobe is still known as a cancer and team killer that no one want to play with

you got a stat for that?
whats the point of trying to insult him because he puts effort and thought into being a fan?

acting like the guy in school who's only retort after being proven wrong is to call someone a nerd 
laugh.gif

Wait a ******* minute...........

Man.

You start a thread, asking if he is overrated, and then say you have him as 12th, ALL TIME?????????????????????????????????

You ***** about people saying he's top 10, but you have him 12th, and start an overrated thread?

I would like to press Niketalk charges. Someone take away his posting privileges for like an hour or something, take away 5 reps, something. :lol: :lol:

Top 12, but overrated. I can't...... :lol: :smh:

Depending on your definition of overrated the premise of the thread may not be that ludicrous. ceetsintky some outlandish things but all in all it could make sense. Heck Peyton had the same type of thread made for him
laugh.gif
This, just like Lebron is overrated, Tom Brady, Michael Jordan, Dirk etc etc every player is overrated to someone somehow 

Yeah, I also have one on NFL QB's, the New England Patriots draft picks, NBA Salaries, the Cubs, the top Movie Box Office, Oscars, and about 25 other spreadsheets.

Would you like to view any of them? PM me your email address and I can send you a couple.

you sound like a real ladykiller

do you keep hardcopies with you as well?

no matter what spreadsheet you have Kobe is still known as a cancer and team killer that no one want to play with

you got a stat for that?

Thank you. My wife and I have been together for 18 years (last week). Started dating when I was 16.

So I don't know if I'm a ladykiller persay, but my wife hasn't killed me, so I take that as a plus. :lol:

Spreadsheet I keep. Basically the top of the top. I don't have things like All Star, or seasons, but it's about as defined as you can get without adding a billion more numbers.

This is the company he keeps. Not sure how one of them is overrated, but the rest are just fine.
laugh.gif
Does this include advanced stats?

F nah.. Kobe has game.... Way more natural basketball skills then lj.....
so he's not overrated if anything hes underrated cuz hes hated so much....
hes washed now but Kobe in his prime. Nobody currently in the NBA is on dudes level.... 2nd best 2 guard alltime..eye test
beats popularity contest that is the NBA awards
... When Steve Nash won two MVP awards it just shows how meaningless awards are... Hell Kobe stopped playing good d years ago yet he was a 1st team all d for so many years off of reputation....

when lj can score 80 lmk ......

Last edited:
Wait a ******* minute...........

Man.

You start a thread, asking if he is overrated, and then say you have him as 12th, ALL TIME?????????????????????????????????

You ***** about people saying he's top 10, but you have him 12th, and start an overrated thread?

I would like to press Niketalk charges. Someone take away his posting privileges for like an hour or something, take away 5 reps, something. :lol: :lol:

Top 12, but overrated. I can't...... :lol: :smh:

That's hard for you to comprehend?

That I think he's top 12, other's swear he's top 2/3/5....leading to a discussion of his ranking being overrated?

Floyd Mayweather is my favorite athlete of all time and he is overrated by the majority of casual boxing fans, much the same way as Kobe is.

Relax your stanhood for a second and realize that there is substance to this discussion.

On a list of 15/20 people even being 3 rankings higher than you should can constitute someone being overrated, much less 7-10 slots higher.

Mature, unbiased, knowledgeable sports fans should be able to discuss that.

Last edited:
View media item 1266015

Spreadsheet I keep. Basically the top of the top. I don't have things like All Star, or seasons, but it's about as defined as you can get without adding a billion more numbers.

This is the company he keeps. Not sure how one of them is overrated, but the rest are just fine. :lol:
Does this include advanced stats?

Naw, just what you see in the pic. I never really thought about expanding it, but I suppose I could. Get blocks, steals, All Stars, stuff like that, but I figured this was a fair enough look at everyone.

I actually pulled the list of players from Simmons Book of Basketball, and then found all the info online and entered it all. Then I added guys like Durant, Dwight, etc, but they are still too early in their career's to move way up, but in time.......

just realized this thread is 133 pages 
laugh.gif

people care about talking about kobe more than 95% of team season threads 

i'm kinda laughing now considering i made a peyton manning is overrated thread,   had the majority of people disagree with me, which is totally fine.

but a kobe is overrated thread which comes across more of an, "i don't like kobe the person, so let me discredit him and say he's overrated" gets a bunch of cosigns.

i guess 
laugh.gif

That I think he's top 12, other's swear he's top 3

Dude, who gives a ****, it's NINE spots. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You started this dumb *** thread to argue over NINE spots, in your own personal viewpoint?

I thought you had him like 50th or some ****, 12th, arguing over 3rd? :lol: :rofl:

i'm kinda laughing now considering i made a peyton manning is overrated thread,   had the majority of people disagree with me, which is totally fine.

but a kobe is overrated thread which comes across more of an, "i don't like kobe the person, so let me discredit him and say he's overrated" gets a bunch of cosigns.

i guess 
laugh.gif
That's how I've always saw it. They would also be huge T-Mac or Vince Carter fans.

never mind.  just seen goldenchild put kobe at top 12.     i could respect that, i got him ranked higher but i could respect that type of ranking..   i take back saying he's posting the posting on some " i don't like kobe so let me discredit him" logic,    my mistake for that.  but alot of other members operate off that 1 track logic.   

Last edited:
That's hard for you to comprehend?

That I think he's top 12, other's swear he's top 2/3/5....leading to a discussion of his ranking being overrated?

Floyd Mayweather is my favorite athlete of all time and he is overrated by the majority of casual boxing fans, much the same way as Kobe is.

Relax your stanhood for a second and realize that there is substance to this discussion.

On a list of 15/20 people even being 3 rankings higher than you should can constitute someone being overrated, much less 7-10 slots higher.

You can't think someone is one of the 12 best people to ever do something and yet call him overrated because others have him ranked higher, you're just splitting hairs at that point

this is flatout childish

You started this dumb *** thread to argue over NINE spots, in your own personal viewpoint?

I thought you had him like 50th or some ****, 12th, arguing over 3rd? :lol: :rofl:

yea lets lock this up dude is trippin

You, seasoned vet, and doo's 397 accounts certainly qualify.

:lol:

I think my stanhood license ran out. I'll have to ask Laker fans if I still qualify. Pretty sure they kicked me out of Kobe stanhood. Maybe I can reapply in a year or so.

Your assumption was way off.

This was stated since the first couple of pages.

There are only 10/15 people being discussed, 9 spots is almost the entire list :lol:

That's how I've always saw it. They would also be huge T-Mac or Vince Carter fans.
thing is, with those type of dudes, if kobe had a personality they could relate to, or came across as likeable to them, they wouldn't be so blatant with the discrediting and downplaying. 

thing is, with those type of dudes, if kobe had a personality they could relate to, or came across as likeable to them, they wouldn't be so blatant with the discrediting and downplaying. 
I agree, but that's not a valid reason imo to dish out the amount of hate they have.

Your assumption was way off.

This was stated since the first couple of pages.

There are only 10/15 people being discussed, 9 spots is almost the entire list :lol:

It doesn't matter tho. I even posted a pic showing those 10-12 best of the best, and his name slots in there "somewhere" Be it 1, 5, or 12, it's in the club, place at the table, invited to the party, however you want to label it. He's there, somewhere.

Yet you start an overrated thread, bring out a ton of trolls, and then a bunch of Laker fans to argue over 9 spots, in your own list? :lol:

How many of us have said, he's in 7-10, and that's fair? A bunch of us. One guy said 5 other career's. Again, 7 off your own list.

Simmons LOATHES Kobe, he placed him at 8, in 2010. Kobe went on to have 3 more productive years closing his 17th year at 27/6/6 before destroying his leg. Again, Simmons hates the guy.

Ska isn't a fan of him. He probably has him somewhere in the top 10 range. Give or take a few slots.

JD and Osh don't like the guy, I bet they have him somewhere in the top 10 range.

I mean, what're we arguing here? :lol:

Has Kobe Bryant ever played with anyone he actually thought was a winner, or actually respected?

I mean that list is looooooooonng in regard to the beefs he has had with Hall of Fame players, and coaches, those that he has actually played with and for.

Nobody was ever good enough, and for a while, that even included Phil Jackson.

T-Mac and Kobe were pretty neck and neck when they were both 100% physically. A lot of people gave Tracy the slight nod because of his size.

I'm not a Bron, T-Mac or Vince Carter an just a fan of the game.

I think the way that people hail Kobe and downplay so many other greats, when he has a gaping flaw in his game, makes him overrated.

If you can't distinguish between the top 20 players in the game then this discussion isn't for you.

If MJ was outside the consensus Top 5, he would certainly be underrated. If Kobe is in the consensus top 5, then is is certainly overrated.

Simple as that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom