IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

Where did I say Kobe is THE best of the 2000s? Show me, I said one of the best.

Where did I say I agreed with the article? Show me.

My original statement still remains true

Duncan > Kobe

Lebron didn't even get drafted until 03...

Duncan > Kobe

CP posted that article to show that the author doesn't have much credibility because he in the same year calls Kobe the most overrated player in the NBA and the best player of the 2000s.

You in response to CP's posts say "you can be one of the best of the 2000s and still one of the most overrated of all time."  Again, this was in response to CP.

The article that CP posted didn't say "one of the best of the 2000s" it said "THE best."  You were responding to CP's mocking the author.  The author called Kobe the best.

No one said you can't be one of the best in a decade but overrated.  The author called Kobe THE best of that decade as well as the most overrated player (in that same year).

You were responding to CP's assertion that the author had no credibility with "Guess what, you can be one of the best players of the 2000s, and still be one of the most overrated players of ALL TIME."  But again, the author called Kobe "THE best."  No one claimed you said anything.  You replied to a discussion on going.

I'm tired of you guys responding directly to something and impliedly cosigning it to further your argument then turning around and yelling "I never said that! You're putting words in my mouth!" 

If you weren't responding to CP and the article then what is the point of what you posted?  Where did anyone say you couldn't be one of the best of a decade and overrated?  No one ever said otherwise.  Are you just arguing with yourself?

Last edited:
I'm genuinely annoyed too
laugh.gif

There's some solid arguments on both sides but I will say that its hard to take someone with an avatar if jermey lins head on Chris child's body punching kobe as being partial and unbiased work his opinions on this topic.

With the context it was created in the John Wall is Terrible thread is my favorite hater thread :lol:

Last edited:
With the context it was created in the John Wall is Terrible thread is my favorite hater thread
laugh.gif
I haven't clicked on it, what was the context?  I've actually gone back and forth over whether or not he sucks or is just the victim of circumstance.

People are gonna be furious when he gets that max contract at the end of this one.

Oh and just because

Last edited:

Duncan > Kobe

CP posted that article to show that the author doesn't have much credibility because he in the same year calls Kobe the most overrated player in the NBA and the best player of the 2000s.

You in response to CP's posts say "you can be one of the best of the 2000s and still one of the most overrated of all time."  Again, this was in response to CP.

The article that CP posted didn't say "one of the best of the 2000s" it said "THE best."  You were responding to CP's mocking the author.  The author called Kobe the best.

No one said you can't be one of the best in a decade but overrated.  The author called Kobe THE best of that decade as well as the most overrated player (in that same year).

You were responding to CP's assertion that the author had no credibility with "Guess what, you can be one of the best players of the 2000s, and still be one of the most overrated players of ALL TIME."  But again, the author called Kobe "THE best."  No one claimed you said anything.  You replied to a discussion on going.

I'm tired of you guys responding directly to something and impliedly cosigning it to further your argument then turning around and yelling "I never said that! You're putting words in my mouth!" 

If you weren't responding to CP and the article then what is the point of what you posted?  Where did anyone say you couldn't be one of the best of a decade and overrated?  No one ever said otherwise.  Are you just arguing with yourself?

It wasn't in response to the article, didn't even read it to be honest. So I wasn't agreeing with it. It was more so in response to CP's opinion on how both statements can't be true.

Why are you pointing out what I said about Duncan? My opinion is irrelivant to the context of being able to be the most overrated of all-time while being able to be one of the best of the 2000s

Even if you are THE best of the 2000s you can indeed still be one of the most overrated players of all time. Even if the the same person said both things, I don't see how they discredit eachother.

Is it impossible for both statements to be true?

^ Yes, it is.

"Kobe is the greatest of the 2000s" does not at all conflict with "Kobe is one of the most overrated ever."

As Kobe retires in a few yrs, basketball fans should just enjoy his game and appreciate the level of dedication he has put into his craft...
kobe will be missed when he retires....

Speak for yourself. I won't miss him one bit! Very serious. Doubt some of his teammates will either. They'll probably flourish.

Wait

When did they start giving awards to top 5 in mvp race?

Were gonna start giving kobe credit for awards he didnt win?

Doing that would make it sound like Kobe is on the same level as jordan

It shows that they were considered a great player for the season to continue votes for the MVP award.

The guys who win the MVP awards aren't always the absolute best player that season. Jordan was the hands down the best player in the NBA from 1988-98 but he only has 5 MVPs.
Peyton Manning and Brett Favre have most MVPs by a NFL quarterback but nobody is calling them the GOAT. Alot things factor into who wins the MVP award in any sport.

I showed facts to back up my claims

Speak for yourself. I won't miss him one bit! Very serious. Doubt some of his teammates will either. They'll probably flourish.

Hater.

Also Ive seen in alot different publications where tKobe is rated the number 1 player of the 2000s. I know he was the ESPN number for sure. Also the Sporting News too.

Last edited:
With the context it was created in the John Wall is Terrible thread is my favorite hater thread :lol:

I haven't clicked on it, what was the context?  I've actually gone back and forth over whether or not he sucks or is just the victim of circumstance.

People are gonna be furious when he gets that max contract at the end of this one.

Oh and just because

Repped this **** has me crying

^ Yes, it is.

"Kobe is the greatest of the 2000s" does not at all conflict with "Kobe is one of the most overrated ever."

Wow.

Wow.

:smh:
:lol:

Wow.

Nako, these guys are agreeing with a writer that says both "he's overrated" and 10 months later says he "might be the best ever.

Same guy.

Nothing wrong with that. Entirely plausible.

:lol:

Wow.

Go back thru the history of the game. You can look and view the champs every single year, almost all of them, all the ones we are talkin about in here have gone back to back, or at the very worst, were able to reach back to back finals to defend their titles. Bird never won back to back, but he went to FOUR straight Finals at least!!!!! (which is yet another point about making "too many" runs in a row.

Teams RARELY make 4 straight Finals. It's GRUELING. The Celts made it in 84-85-86 and 87. In 87, they were breaking down, they never got back.

LA made it in 82, 83, 84, and 85 and then suddenly got bumped early as hell in 86, they were outta gas. They came back in 87, 88, and in 89 what happened? They went 11-0 to start the playoffs, and then half their starting lineup was done early in the Finals. Both Scott and Magic were knocked out with injury. Those runs take tolls.

MJ made the 3 peat, and took 2 years off to get back and get another 3 peat. Surely you've heard people say they "would have" won 8 straight if he didn't retire. No way. He may have gotten the 4th in 94, but at some point, they would have broken down. It's not like the 60's Celtics where you play one round, then Finals. You have to play 4 rounds every year. That's 16 Playoff series in 4 seasons to make a run at a 4 peat. So when Dunc won in 03, that was LA's 14th playoff series, they were 2-2 and Horry shot a 3 at the buzzer to win game 5 and it rimmed out. If that shot goes in, who knows what happens. But the bottom line was that season, they were on fumes, plain and simple.

Know what 2011 was? LA's 14th playoff series, Kobe, Pau, etc were all on fumes and got drilled by a team you know quite well. I know that you want to simply dismiss what I am saying, but the fact is it was indeed their 14th series, BOTH times. 03 and 2011. As I said, goin to 4 straight Finals is an incredibly difficult task, and if Miami makes the Finals this year, I am positive they won't make it next year, they'll simply need a break to re-charge. It's how the NBA is now.

As for Dunc not repeating, it's just true. He never even made back to back Finals. Bron has, Kobe has, Shaq did, MJ, Hakeem, Bird, Magic, Kareem, Russell* (much diff era back then) even Isiah Thomas made it to back to back Finals. Hell, Jason Kidd made it back to back. The Billups Pistons team made it to back to back Finals. All those players, all those teams, Duncan never did. Don't mean he isn't still great, and a top 10 All Time NBA player, but it's something he never accomplished that many others have. That's all I'm sayin. And like I said, Bird never won back to back either, but he did at least make back to back Finals to try and defend his titles. And making it 4 years straight (as difficult as that is) is a pretty big accomplishment.
Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?

On the decline? Yes. Overrated? Kill yourself. Top 2 offensive players to ever walk the planet. He and mj are interchangeable due to mikes credentials.

i
Go back thru the history of the game. You can look and view the champs every single year, almost all of them, all the ones we are talkin about in here have gone back to back, or at the very worst, were able to reach back to back finals to defend their titles. Bird never won back to back, but he went to FOUR straight Finals at least!!!!! (which is yet another point about making "too many" runs in a row.

Teams RARELY make 4 straight Finals. It's GRUELING. The Celts made it in 84-85-86 and 87. In 87, they were breaking down, they never got back.

LA made it in 82, 83, 84, and 85 and then suddenly got bumped early as hell in 86, they were outta gas. They came back in 87, 88, and in 89 what happened? They went 11-0 to start the playoffs, and then half their starting lineup was done early in the Finals. Both Scott and Magic were knocked out with injury. Those runs take tolls.

MJ made the 3 peat, and took 2 years off to get back and get another 3 peat. Surely you've heard people say they "would have" won 8 straight if he didn't retire. No way. He may have gotten the 4th in 94, but at some point, they would have broken down. It's not like the 60's Celtics where you play one round, then Finals. You have to play 4 rounds every year. That's 16 Playoff series in 4 seasons to make a run at a 4 peat. So when Dunc won in 03, that was LA's 14th playoff series, they were 2-2 and Horry shot a 3 at the buzzer to win game 5 and it rimmed out. If that shot goes in, who knows what happens. But the bottom line was that season, they were on fumes, plain and simple.

Know what 2011 was? LA's 14th playoff series, Kobe, Pau, etc were all on fumes and got drilled by a team you know quite well. I know that you want to simply dismiss what I am saying, but the fact is it was indeed their 14th series, BOTH times. 03 and 2011. As I said, goin to 4 straight Finals is an incredibly difficult task, and if Miami makes the Finals this year, I am positive they won't make it next year, they'll simply need a break to re-charge. It's how the NBA is now.

As for Dunc not repeating, it's just true. He never even made back to back Finals. Bron has, Kobe has, Shaq did, MJ, Hakeem, Bird, Magic, Kareem, Russell* (much diff era back then) even Isiah Thomas made it to back to back Finals. Hell, Jason Kidd made it back to back. The Billups Pistons team made it to back to back Finals. All those players, all those teams, Duncan never did. Don't mean he isn't still great, and a top 10 All Time NBA player, but it's something he never accomplished that many others have. That's all I'm sayin. And like I said, Bird never won back to back either, but he did at least make back to back Finals to try and defend his titles. And making it 4 years straight (as difficult as that is) is a pretty big accomplishment.

Are you willing to put your money where your mouth is?

Sure, I got a dollar in my wallet, 14 months from now if the Heat make it to the Finals (and make it this season as well) I'll mail it to you.

On the decline? Yes. Overrated? Kill yourself. Top 2 offensive players to ever walk the planet. He and mj are interchangeable due to mikes credentials.

"Interchangeable" bro? SMH!

Yes. I'm not an mj meat rider like many people are. Kobe has more offensive skills (ball handling especially) but mj undoubtedly did more with what he had so I can understand why he is considered #1 by many.

This is not up for debate in my book.

Last edited:
Yes. I'm not an mj meat rider like many people are. Kobe has more offensive skills (ball handling especially) but mj undoubtedly did more with what he had so I can understand why he is considered #1 by many.

This is not up for debate in my book.

My guy said more "ball handling" and "skills" haahahaa man good night you trippin n just for that imma tally up all the turnovers this guy has tmrrw night!

FYI, "ball handling" is not just when you cross n dribble through your legs. Out!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom