IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

I've never heard not being able to repeat ever used as a negative toward Tim Duncan in my life outside of this thread.

Its amazing Kobe is getting credit for repeating while playing with another dominant player but when he got beat it was because they were tired from making the Finals. :lol:

Well Tim Duncan was maybe a little tired from carrying single star teams to championships.

Call me when Kobe Bryant can anchor one the league's best defenses and be the primary offensive option.

2002-2003 season.

Stop it

stop what?

2002-2003 season.

In 2002-2003 in the LA Lakers were 23rd in the NBA in points allowed per game.

in opponents FG% they were 17th.

I said league's best.

Stop it.

Ok.  it's arguable if he was the primary offensive option but what about the year before that?

Dude stop it. You have exaggerated in this thread before and tried to backtrack, I'm not letting you do it this go around.

Yeahno. That's not how it happened. Read a book dude, that ain't how it played out.

Lol @ read a book. Smh don't need to. It's exactly what happened. Go read up on that AAU coach with the pull that conveyed bryant's whiny sentiments about not going to the hornets.

Like I said. I wonder how is ring count would look.

Call me when Kobe Bryant can anchor one the league's best defenses and be the primary offensive option.

2002-2003 season.

Stop it

stop what?

2002-2003 season.

In 2002-2003 in the LA Lakers were 23rd in the NBA in points allowed per game.

in opponents FG% they were 17th.

I said league's best.

Stop it.

Ok.  it's arguable if he was the primary offensive option but what about the year before that?
Dude stop it. You have exaggerated in this thread before and tried to backtrack, I'm not letting you do it this go around.
I don't exaggerate.

2002, kobe averaged 20 shots and 26 pts.  Shaq averaged 18 shots and 27 points.

So again, 2001-2002?

Yeahno. That's not how it happened. Read a book dude, that ain't how it played out.
Lol @ read a book. Smh don't need to. It's exactly what happened. Go read up on that AAU coach with the pull that conveyed bryant's whiny sentiments about not going to the hornets.

Like I said. I wonder how is ring count would look.
kobe was going to the nets. the hornets weren't going to take him until the lakers came to them about a draft day deal.

stop posting.

Last edited:
When I mean by great I mean a top 3-5 player in the NBA at the time

Hakeem was only a top 3 player in NBA pretty much from 1993-1995. Thats it. Granted those 3 years are some of the most brilliant 3 years any player has ever put together

Hakeem had a great career but he only had 2 top 3 finishes in the NBA MVP voting and those came in 1993 and 1994 seasons. Overall Hakeem had 6 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting.

Kobe has 4 top 3 finishes in the NBA MVP voting. Overall Kobe has 10 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting.

Duncan has 4 top 3 finishes in the NBA MVP voting and Duncan has 7 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting

Shaq had 5 top 3 finishes in the NBA MVP voting and Shaq has 8 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting

Like I said all those players had sustained greatness longer than Hakeem did

Talent disparity? It was Shaq + Kobe and some guys.
The Spurs were a 60 win team, with HC, Pop, with David and Sean Elliot early, Manu + Parker late.

You act like Fox, Horry, Fisher, Shaw were world beaters or somethin. They were ALL role guys, great ones at that, but role guys nonetheless.

Bottom line you pointed out ONE game, the elim game in 03. I countered Kobe's string of playoff games vs the Spurs. He owned those guys.

Actually I pointed out how Kobe damn near got the Lakers swept VS Detroit while Shaq averaged 26 and 10.

Also pointed out how Kobe has been on the business end of some biggest blowouts a defending championship ever has in NBA history at least 2 separate times.

Dude we are talking about the NBA one great player has a dramatic impact on the game.

Shaq plus Kobe and role players is>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tim Duncan and role players.

Shaq was swept in ORLD, in LA AND in Miami. Gonna mention those?
Duncan was swept, lost as a 1 seed to an 8, never won the West back to back years and won 20 straight last year then lost next 4. Mention those?

Kobe's team won his conference 7 times. More than Shaq, more than Dunc. More than Bird, Hakeem. But yes, he also had some bad losses. Magic lost 4 Finals. Everyone has them but Russ and Mike.

No

A team Kobe has been on has won 7 conference titles.

But Kobe's team has won 3

kobe was going to the nets. the hornets weren't going to take him until the lakers came to them about a draft day deal.

stop posting.

You do realize how silly you sound when u type "stop posting" over n over while you keep quoting me over n over, right? Oxymoronic kinda like how bryant shoots his team out of wins but expects to keep winning.

Bryant whined about not going to the hornets, period.

When I mean by great I mean a top 3-5 player in the NBA at the time

Hakeem was only a top 3 player in NBA pretty much from 1993-1995. Thats it. Granted those 3 years are some of the most brilliant 3 years any player has ever put together

Hakeem had a great career but he only had 2 top 3 finishes in the NBA MVP voting and those came in 1993 and 1994 seasons. Overall Hakeem had 6 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting.

Kobe has 4 top 3 finishes in the NBA MVP voting. Overall Kobe has 10 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting.

Duncan has 4 top 3 finishes in the NBA MVP voting and Duncan has 7 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting

Shaq had 5 top 3 finishes in the NBA MVP voting and Shaq has 8 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting

Like I said all those players had sustained greatness longer than Hakeem did

I agree with this.

Hakeem is my guy but he fell off a cliff after those rings.

I don't exaggerate.

So again, 2001-2002?

sneakerpro?

The reason I haven't responded to you is because you were blatantly wrong then you changed my question and second its ridiculous to contend that Kobe Bryant has ever anchored a defense in his life.

I don't exaggerate.

So again, 2001-2002?
sneakerpro?
The reason I haven't responded to you is because you were blatantly wrong then you changed my question and second its ridiculous to contend that Kobe Bryant has ever anchored a defense in his life.
i was wrong on 2002-2003.  off the top off my head i thought that 03 team was better defensively than they were.  i was wrong.

but in 02?  and kobe was 2nd team all defense that year.  he always guarded the other teams best player.

i'm not sure what you mean by i changed your question?
Bottom line, Kobe was an ELITE offensive and defensive player, top 3 player in the NBA from 2000 to now
?

Also how was Kobe Bryant the PRIMARY scoring option in 2001-2002?

And before you answer with shots attempted I want to you look at this year's Oklahoma City Thunder and ask yourself if Westbrook is the primary scoring option over Durant.

I don't exaggerate.

So again, 2001-2002?

sneakerpro?

i was wrong on 2002-2003.  off the top off my head i thought that 03 team was better defensively than they were.  i was wrong.

but in 02?  and kobe was 2nd team all defense that year.  he always guarded the other teams best player.

i'm not sure what you mean by i changed your question?

Bottom line, Kobe was an ELITE offensive and defensive player, top 3 player in the NBA from 2000 to now

?

Shawn Marion always guarded the other team's best player in for Dallas since he's been there.

But when a championship was won I don't think he was the anchor :wink:

Check these stats

Kobe has 10 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting

Jordan had 10

Kareem had 15

Wilt had 10

Bill had 11

Bird had 9

Magic had 9

Oscar had 9

Last edited:
Check these stats

Kobe has 10 top 5 finishes in the NBA MVP voting

Jordan had 10

Kareem had 15

Wilt had 10

Bill had 11

Bird had 9

Magic had 9

Oscar had 9

Dude Steve Nash has two MVPs.

Both sides need to stop bringing them up.

Finals MVPs though :nerd:

Last edited:
Kobe took the most shots on the team, played the most minutes, and averaged 1 point less than Shaq.  He was arguably the primary scoring option.  It was also the year that trouble started brewing because Shaq was upset about how many shots Kobe was getting.  in 2003, Kobe took over completely.

He was all defensive 2nd team.  He would have been first team but Kidd and Payton took that honor.  But Kobe was recognized as the best defensive two-guard in the league.  He was a lock down defender.  Especially that season.

On the team with the 3rd best "points allowed" and "opponents fg%" ranking in the NBA.

I don't even know what you're doing with that Nash comment.

You asked for an example and I gave you one.  Now all of a sudden it's not legitimate?  But all the awards and accolades people have been listing for other players in this thread so far are?

But Nash only has one other top 5 finish

Im talking about sustained greatness.

Kobe also has 10 All NBA first team selections and hes going to tie the all time record for most selections this year.

But hes not a all time great :lol:

Last edited:
Kobe took the most shots on the team, played the most minutes, and averaged 1 point less than Shaq.  He was arguably the primary scoring option.  It was also the year that trouble started brewing because Shaq was upset about how many shots Kobe was getting.  in 2003, Kobe took over completely.

He was all defensive 2nd team.  He would have been first team but Kidd and Payton took that honor.  But Kobe was recognized as the best defensive two-guard in the league.  He was a lock down defender.  Especially that season.

On the team with the 3rd best "points allowed" and "opponents fg%" ranking in the NBA.

I don't even know what you're doing with that Nash comment.

You asked for an example and I gave you one.  Now all of a sudden it's not legitimate?  But all the awards and accolades people have been listing for other players in this thread so far are?

Premise for your argument that Kobe anchored the defense is his all-defensive team award and him guarding the other team's best player, correct?

When I say anchor a defense I mean the team's defensive philosophy and strategy is built around said player's prowless.

By nature its pretty much impossible for a guard or a wing to anchor a defense unless you are Rodman when he was a 3 or AK-47.

Kobe Bryant was a good to great defensive player in 01 but he wasn't the anchor.

Westbrook plays the most minutes and takes the most shots on the Thunder, but he ain't the primary scoring option.

But Nash only has one other top 5 finish

Im talking about sustained greatness.

Kobe also has 10 All NBA first team selections and hes going to tie the all time record for most selections this year.

But hes not a all time great :lol:

Here we go with the hyperbole again, who has said Kobe Bryant isn't an all time great in this thread.

Also I agree the one thing you can never take from Kobe is maintaining a high level of play for a REALLY long time.

I don't know whose arguing that though.

\\

Exactly

Kobe finished 3rd in the NBA Defensive Player of the Year voting that year

Premise for your argument that Kobe anchored the defense is his all-defensive team award and him guarding the other team's best player, correct?

When I say anchor a defense I mean the team's defensive philosophy and strategy is built around said player's prowless.

By nature its pretty much impossible for a guard or a wing to anchor a defense unless you are Rodman when he was a 3 or AK-47.

Kobe Bryant was a good to great defensive player in 01 but he wasn't the anchor.

Westbrook plays the most minutes and takes the most shots on the Thunder, but he ain't the primary scoring option.
by primary scoring option do you mean most efficient scorer? or go to guy in the clutch? just wondering what your definition is since it can be argued that the PRIMARY option would be the most used one which would be the person who takes the most shots. not really talking about kobe here, just basketball in general

Dude, Jo Jo White, Cedric Maxwell and Chauncey Billups have Finals MVPs.

Oscar Robertson, Dr. J., Charles Barkley, Karl Malone, David Robinson, Kevin Garnett, Patrick Ewing, John Stockton and Scottie Pippen have none.

Back
Top Bottom