IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

Guess who lost to Kobe 4 of 5 playoff series?

01, 02, 04, 08.

Duncan won in 03 with LA coming off back to back to back Finals runs deep into June, or an extra 60ish playoff games.

And before you even try to mention Shaq, please look at the work Kobe gave them in those series, he abused those guys each series.

As for what you said above, I hear ya on the 2nd or 3rd stuff. My overall point has been regardless of where, even if he's 10, he's in the mix with Magic, Bird, Wilt, Kareem etc. He's invited to the party, he's at the countryclub.

The guys in here want him to party with Pierce, Kidd, AI, JR Smith, Vince etc because they think you can just imaginarily switch them and get the same result.But mention the other players having HOF teammates/coaches and could have swapped so and so and that is disregarded, it only applies to Kobe. :lol:

Bottom line, Kobe was an ELITE offensive and defensive player, top 3 player in the NBA from 2000 to now, stepped up on the biggest stage at 20 and at 30, amassed totals that only 2-3 others have EVER and will be widely recognized by the basketball community as a top 10 all time player. Where in that top 10 won't matter, even if a debate rages on. Top 10 is top 10, 2 thru 10 doesn't really matter.

Call me when Kobe Bryant can anchor one the league's best defenses and be the primary offensive option.

Considering the talent disparity between those Spurs and Laker teams he should have beat them every time.

It was Tim Duncan and some guys.

Last edited:
Shaq averaged more points and rebounds during those playoff matchups than ANY two Spurs combined not named Tim Duncan.

But yeah Kobe sent him home :lol:

Last edited:
Talent disparity? It was Shaq + Kobe and some guys.
The Spurs were a 60 win team, with HC, Pop, with David and Sean Elliot early, Manu + Parker late.

You act like Fox, Horry, Fisher, Shaw were world beaters or somethin. They were ALL role guys, great ones at that, but role guys nonetheless.

Bottom line you pointed out ONE game, the elim game in 03. I countered Kobe's string of playoff games vs the Spurs. He owned those guys.

Tim Duncan has more finals mvp and mvps than Kobe, anyone ever talk about him the way they talk about Kobe?

Duncan with a prime Shaq and Phil coaching him would easily have 5-6 rings too.....

Yes, Kobe is overrated....

Last edited:
The Spurs were a 60 win team, with HC, Pop, with David and Sean Elliot early, Manu + Parker late.

You act like Fox, Horry, Fisher, Shaw were world beaters or somethin. They were ALL role guys, great ones at that, but role guys nonetheless.

Bottom line you pointed out ONE game, the elim game in 03. I countered Kobe's string of playoff games vs the Spurs. He owned those guys.

Actually I pointed out how Kobe damn near got the Lakers swept VS Detroit while Shaq averaged 26 and 10.

Also pointed out how Kobe has been on the business end of some biggest blowouts a defending championship ever has in NBA history at least 2 separate times.

Dude we are talking about the NBA one great player has a dramatic impact on the game.

Shaq plus Kobe and role players is>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tim Duncan and role players.

I feel like you guys are underrating Parker, Manu, AND Pop to prove your points (word to DBD)

Of course Duncan is a great player, an all-timer, but to say that it was just him is ridiculous the same way people say Kobe won 5 rings by himself or rode shaq and Pau's coattails to luck into 5 rings

The only person Kobe MAYBE nudges off the list is Oscar, but even still probably not.

I was going to say that too...maybe

Most Field Goal Attempts per year

Season Lg Player FGA Tm
2012-13 NBA Kobe Bryant 1451 LAL
2011-12 NBA Kobe Bryant 1336 LAL (Kevin Durant)
2010-11 NBA Kobe Bryant 1639 LAL
(Kevin Durant)
2009-10 NBA Kevin Durant 1668 OKC Scoring Title
2008-09 NBA Dwyane Wade 1739 MIA Scoring Title
2007-08 NBA Kobe Bryant 1690 LAL (LeBron James)
2006-07 NBA Kobe Bryant 1757 LAL Scoring Title
2005-06 NBA Kobe Bryant 2173 LAL Scoring Title

2004-05 NBA Allen Iverson 1818 PHI Scoring Title
2003-04 NBA Kevin Garnett 1611 MIN (Tracy McGrady)
2002-03 NBA Allen Iverson 1940 PHI (Tracy McGrady)
2001-02 NBA Antoine Walker 1689 BOS (Allen Iverson)
2000-01 NBA Jerry Stackhouse 1927 DET (Allen Iverson)
1999-00 NBA Allen Iverson 1733 PHI (Shaquille O'Neal)
1998-99 NBA Allen Iverson 1056 PHI Scoring Title
[COLOR=#red]1997-98 NBA Michael Jordan* 1893 CHI Scoring Title
1996-97 NBA Michael Jordan* 1892 CHI Scoring Title
1995-96 NBA Michael Jordan* 1850 CHI Scoring Title[/COLOR]
1994-95 NBA Shaquille O'Neal 1594 ORL Scoring Title
1993-94 NBA Hakeem Olajuwon* 1694 HOU (David Robinson)
[COLOR=#red]1992-93 NBA Michael Jordan* 2003 CHI Scoring Title
1991-92 NBA Michael Jordan* 1818 CHI Scoring Title
1990-91 NBA Michael Jordan* 1837 CHI Scoring Title
1989-90 NBA Michael Jordan* 1964 CHI Scoring Title[/COLOR]
1988-89 NBA Alex English* 1881 DEN [COLOR=#red](Michael Jordan)[/COLOR]
[COLOR=#red]1987-88 NBA Michael Jordan* 1998 CHI Scoring Title
1986-87 NBA Michael Jordan* 2279 CHI Scoring Title[/COLOR]
1985-86 NBA Dominique Wilkins* 1897 ATL Scoring Title
1984-85 NBA Dominique Wilkins* 1891 ATL (Bernard King)

Kobe has lead the league in chucking 4 out of the last 6 years with no scoring titles in that time span.

That's ridiculous!

Why everyone examine Kobe's career detail by detail to discredit him, but put ZERO effort into other players?

THIS is why:

Tim Duncan has more finals mvp and mvps than Kobe, anyone ever talk about him the way they talk about Kobe?

Nobody talks about these other guys the way you Kobe fans talk about Kobe because obviously Duncan/Kareem/Hakeem, etc doesn't have this cult following.

I feel like you guys are underrating Parker, Manu, AND Pop to prove your points (word to DBD)

Of course Duncan is a great player, an all-timer, but to say that it was just him is ridiculous the same way people say Kobe won 5 rings by himself or rode shaq and Pau's coattails to luck into 5 rings

Manu Ginobli averaged 7 points a game in 03 and Tony Parker averaged 15.

If you watch the Spurs the whole foundation of their team is based on Tim Duncan. Throw it to Tim have him command the double team which starts the break down of the defense. Tim may not have got the assist but his presense is what created the intial breakdown. On defense everything was built around funneling everything to Tim.

Look at who the Spurs had when the they won championships, really look at those rosters. It wasn't until Tony Parker hit his prime in 2007 that I would say Tim had a top flight running mate.

Hell in 03 Tony Parker was getting pulled down the stretch of playoff games.

2002-2003 season.
No WONDER they didn't win that year.
laugh.gif
Mm-hmm.  And Kobe arguably should have been the MVP that season too.

I'm still tripping off the person who said the Dream was only good for 3 years max! Wow! Quite alarming I must say.

Still wonder what all bryant would have done by now (if he didn't quit already) if he went to Charlotte like he was suppose to, lol but I guess that's another thread...

Why everyone examine Kobe's career detail by detail to discredit him, but put ZERO effort into other players?

THIS is why:

Nobody talks about these other guys the way you Kobe fans talk about Kobe because obviously Duncan/Kareem/Hakeem, etc doesn't have this cult following.

Ummmm........Duncan, Kareem, Hakeem ALL have been mentioned as top 10 all time repeatedly by us Laker/Kobe fans.

My point was just as they are top 10, as Kobe is, EACH, has a negative mark, or an argument against them in some capacity. Doesn't mean they aren't still top 10, just means they all have similar marks against. Duncan never repeat, Kareem winning with Magic, Kobe/Shaq, Dream only having the 2 elite runs with no MJ in the league. Bird, never repeat. Magic played with Kareem, Shaq swept like 6 times etc.

Actually I pointed out how Kobe damn near got the Lakers swept VS Detroit while Shaq averaged 26 and 10.

Also pointed out how Kobe has been on the business end of some biggest blowouts a defending championship ever has in NBA history at least 2 separate times.

Dude we are talking about the NBA one great player has a dramatic impact on the game.

Shaq plus Kobe and role players is>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Tim Duncan and role players.

Shaq was swept in ORLD, in LA AND in Miami. Gonna mention those?
Duncan was swept, lost as a 1 seed to an 8, never won the West back to back years and won 20 straight last year then lost next 4. Mention those?

Kobe's team won his conference 7 times. More than Shaq, more than Dunc. More than Bird, Hakeem. But yes, he also had some bad losses. Magic lost 4 Finals. Everyone has them but Russ and Mike.

Call me when Kobe Bryant can anchor one the league's best defenses and be the primary offensive option.

2002-2003 season.

Stop it
stop what?

2002-2003 season.
In 2002-2003 in the LA Lakers were 23rd in the NBA in points allowed per game.

in opponents FG% they were 17th.

I said league's best.

Stop it.
Ok.  it's arguable if he was the primary offensive option but what about the year before that?

Back
Top Bottom