IS KOBE BRYANT...OVERRATED?

indifferent.gif
troll
after countless serious posts in this thread you choose to quote the ONE troll post i write and call me out on it.... okay 
eyes.gif

SneakerPro, man, come on, XL is NOT a Laker fan. The one talkin about Pippen GOAT SF is a Knicks man bro, stop calling him a Laker fan.
et tu, CP?!?!?!?!?!
laugh.gif

the Pippen talk was hyperbole to make my point.  Of course I know Bird is better than Pip. I wasn't even thinking about him when I typed that.

That said Pippen is still anywhere from #2-5 on the all time small forward list.

Last edited:
:lol: Naw man, I wasn't givin you grief, I was trying to point it out to him that you were a Knick fan, he (and everyone else) keeps identifying you as a Laker fan.

The Pip thing, I wouldn't be mad at all if we wanted to make a claim that he could ask for the top spot. I'd fight somebody. :lol:

Bron is certainly coming for the throne, but in terms of Larry V Scottie, I would listen to an argument. I mean, as good as Bird was offensively, wasn't Pip that defensively? :nerd: And Scotie was certainly more useful on offense, than Bird was on defense, no? Could a case not be built?

So then, Bird is labeled top 5 all time, could we not then argue that he may be......overrated? :lol:

I'm amazed I haven't made 16 overrated threads today. Cuz I want to. I want equal oppurtunity playgrounds for everybody. Everyone deserves an overrated thread, since this one is complete ********. :lol:

Objective poster is objective
Antawn Jamison says Kobe Bryant asks his teammates to yell at him when he sees ‘nothing but that basket.

In a remarkably short interview with ESPN’s Max and Marcellus Show on Wednesday, Los Angeles Lakers forward Antawn Jamison managed to cram about a lifetime’s worth of insight into the mind of one Kobe Bean Bryant. Insight into his sometimes-charming, often-infuriating, usually-game tilting tunnel vision when it comes to locking in on the rim, and ignoring the nine other players that happen to share the court with the future Hall of Famer.

Jamison, who has played a major part in Los Angeles’ recent 19-8 run toward respectability, pulled no punches in both praising Kobe’s abilities as a team leader, and instincts as one of the more fearsome gunners in NBA history. As transcribed by Dave McMenamin at ESPN Los Angeles:

[table][tr][td] [/td][td]
1.gif
[/td][td] [/td][td]
3.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td]"Kobe will tell you," Jamison said. "He's like, 'Look, you guys as my teammates, yell at me. Let me know that you're open because I'm so programmed,' and this guy has told me this, 'I see nothing but that basket. You could be open, there could be three guys on me, but the only thing I see is that basket so you have to tell me, Look, I was open. Or yell at me mid-play. That doesn't affect me at all and I respect that.' "[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]
6.gif
[/td][td] [/td][td]
8.gif
[/td][/tr][/table]
weebl.gif

Jamison said the veteran-laden roster has adapted to Bryant's style and the players have no problem with confronting the five-time champion.
1.gif
[/td][td] [/td][td]
3.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td]
"I think the thing we've seen in the past was most teammates might have been afraid to come to him or express, 'Kob' I was open,' or, 'That's not what we drew up,' " Jamison said. "The thing I like about this team, Steve Nash -- who is a Hall of Famer -- and Dwight [Howard] as well, Dwight and Kobe have gotten into shouting matches on the bench because Dwight will be like, 'Kob', that's your rotation. Get there.' And after the game he'll be like, 'Appreciate it, big fella. I needed that.' "[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]
6.gif
[/td][td] [/td][td]
8.gif
[/td][/tr][/table]
weebl.gif

Bryant, in spite of the presence of Steve Nash and Dwight Howard, is leading the NBA in shots per game attempts for the third straight season – and if the trend continues he will have topped the league in this particular stat in six out of the last eight years.

This is only a dis, though, when Bryant is taking bad shots. In 2011 and 2012, sure, Kobe seemed obsessed with pump fakes and long two-point jumpers, chucking away despite the presence of Andrew Bynum and Pau Gasol’s high-efficiency impact. This season? His shooting percentage has gone way up, despite a Laker offense that is still finding its way, and though his free throw attempts are at about the same rate Bryant is mixing in far more drives and less contested bombs. He’s also back to shooting around 34 percent from behind the three-point arc, a sub-average but still respectable mark.

Despite the ball-hog criticism, though, it’s important to remind fans that Bryant routinely leads all shooting guards in assists per game. It’s true that Kobe’s big per-game numbers are partly a function of him dominating the ball quite a bit, but he leads all off guards in assists per game this season (at 5.8 a game) by a wide margin over Dallas O.J. Mayo at second place, and that’s with a five-time assists per game leader in Steve Nash working alongside him. Nobody rips on Kobe more than me for not taking a page out of the Michael Jordan-playbook and submitting to work off the ball more, but these are numbers that cannot be ignored.

Jamison, in the interview, made a point to talk up Bryant’s obsession with getting basketball just right:

1.gif
[/td][td] [/td][td]
3.gif
[/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td] [/td][td]"It's great to be with him," Jamison said. "I love a guy who expects so much from his teammates. He pushes his teammates. After games, we're traveling, guys are on their laptops, their iPads, watching movies, listening to music, this guy is watching film. He's breaking down situations. I'll be watching a movie, he'll tap me like, 'Come here.' He'll dissect plays like, 'This is what we got to do, me and you got to get this going.' I mean, this guy eats, sleeps basketball and the only thing he wants to do is to win another championship and I've never seen anybody as focused, as dedicated as Kobe."[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td] [/td][td]
6.gif
[/td][td] [/td][td]
8.gif
[/td][/tr][/table]
weebl.gif

Jamison has enjoyed a needed resurgence, averaging double-figure points for the Lakers in February and March despite playing around 24 minutes a contest, making 48 percent of his shots and over 40 percent of his three-pointers. Antawn’s ability to finish broken plays is a needed asset for a Laker team that is working with a coach that didn’t have a training camp to work through, and a point guard coming off of (basically) a broken leg. His production has been incredibly important.

What’s driving the Lakers to the playoffs, though, is Bryant’s turnaround. And not those turnaround jumpers he used to make 38 percent of in 2011 and 2012. Through one of the wilder NBA seasons we’ve seen, Kobe Bryant’s production has remained steadfast; save for a few wintertime blips. The Lakers may not have the championship mixture in place until Howard gets healthy and Mike D’Antoni figures out just how to put this all together, but the biggest reason they’ll play past the second week of April is Kobe Bryant’s insistence on getting this right.

This year, at least, it has been worth the occasional programmed heave at the rim. Kobe Bryant is having a fantastic season, and all of basketball is better off for his obsession.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...ryant-asks-teammates-yell-173019125--nba.html
taken from another forum

Last edited:
In a thread questioning Kobe's greatness...

... someone comes in and offers multiple posts telling how they don't think Kobe is great.

... someone ELSE comes in and offers multiple post detailing that the first guy is a troll.

And it's the FIRST guy that's out of line? :nerd: the guy posting about the threads topic, he's the one trolling?

Yeahno. If all you have to offer is how you think this thread is stupid and who you think is trolling, just keep quiet. The thread isn't about you. And if you have already said everything you want to say about Kobe, then take notes from SneakerPro, who has yet to address ACBoyz saying Dirk is overrated. Four hours later, still nothing from Pro. :smokin

Can't believe y'all give Kobe props for running one of the greatest centers of all time out of town disgusting
i didn't know kobe owned the lakers. shaq wanted stupid money and buss wasn't giving it to him. that with the addition of the feud with kobe is what got shaq traded not kobe said jump and buss said how high.

i didn't know kobe owned the lakers. shaq wanted stupid money and buss wasn't giving it to him. that with the addition of the feud with kobe is what got shaq traded not kobe said jump and buss said how high.

Come on cuh

With 1 second left on a full court pass? Right.....

Don't jinx yourself for Monday night.

Lakers home game in Oracle :smokin

Nako, clearly if we were in the #1-2 seed right now, with a healthy cast, Kobe would be riding along with the best supporting cast ever.

The fact that Dwight, Nash, Pau etc were injured, and Kobe played one of his finest seasons ever, in year 17, simply means that now we had to rely on him, and he couldn't carrry us, thus, Jason Kidd would have been good enough to carry us, and make us the better basketball team.

You must see that Nako. It's clear as day. We rely on Kobe, THIS season, and he's failed us.
Just as we relied on him that other year, and we didn't make the playoffs then either.

All the other years, we didn't rely on him. Clearly you see that.

I do.

Kidd tho.
laugh.gif
The fact that you continually laugh at the notion that, given the same teams/coaches, Jason Kidd could have taken his teams further than Kobe Bryant... that tells us that you're simply a joke and shouldn't speak on NBA basketball.

Can't believe y'all give Kobe props for running one of the greatest centers of all time out of town disgusting

THIS! :smh:

Laker fans and bandwagon fans just deal with him because he gives buckets but deep down they can't stand the dude. :wink:

^ come on. It's not like shaq didn't have a hand in it also. It's both their faults that they couldn't get along. Not only that but shaq was antagonizing Jerry buss all the time during that time. Yelling "pay me" at him after a dunk smh. Of course shaq was the best player on the world at the time and deserved big bucks but be professional. I love shaq, still have the la times from 96 when he was signed and his replica ( :lol: ) jersey in my closet. But he had a bigger ego than Kobe. And he was more sensitive. So as a laker fan who saw it from LA, it's unfair to say Kobe singlehandedly drove shaq out. Yes their feud was a big part, probably a good chunk of it, but remember dr buss didn't want to give him that 2nd extension just 2 years into the first extension, plus the way shaq was acting I didn't blame him. So dr buss had to make a choice, and he kept the younger dynamic player. Put it this way, if Kobe was traded, would you all blame shaq for running a young prime dynamic shooting guard away?

As for the post above, I think he's great and love him as the top guy on the lakers, but every game there's a stretch or two where he starts throwing up terrible shots and I scream at the tv for him to pass/stop the nonsense. Thankfully that's been less lately, but it shows up. I don't think tonight was an example, it was late and they needed buckets so of course you turn to the top dog. The jumper that bounced out really hurt.

Last edited:
Exactly, Dirk has proven himself. As has Kobe, yet you have people in here going all in about how much "overrated" he is, but we're the ones with sand in our vags's.

Laker fans/Kobe fans are the ones that are at fault. We're why this joint is still open 100 pages deep. :lol:

Stop frontin like it wasn't YOU kobe fans bumping this thread. It was dead for a minute then Kobe and the Lakers went on their lil run and you kobe fans bumped it.

Exactly, Dirk has proven himself. As has Kobe, yet you have people in here going all in about how much "overrated" he is, but we're the ones with sand in our vags's.

Laker fans/Kobe fans are the ones that are at fault. We're why this joint is still open 100 pages deep. :lol:

Stop frontin like it wasn't YOU kobe fans bumping this thread. It was dead for a minute then Kobe and the Lakers went on their lil run and you kobe fans bumped it.

CP acting like he doesn't have a 140+ post in this thread :lol: :lol:

I avoided this place when it first opened. I figured it was dumb and would get locked up quick, no point fussin.

Eventually, I got roped in. :smh: :lol:

Now, I like it here, and will enjoy postin in here. Gonna be good times.

Tell Laker fans to stay outta here and this thread would faded into Bolivian a while ago.

Eh rather have all this here than in the laker thread or the season thread. If it was just the anti-Kobe or trolls here then they'd spread to the rest of the nba threads, like a virus :lol:

Also beyond the obvious ridiculous statements, there are good points made on both sides

Back
Top Bottom