Ice hockey 2010 Winter Olympics (CANADA VS. USA GOLD MEDAL 3:15PM EST SUNDAY)

That first Finnish goalwas garbo. G IIHF rules...

Canada looked great against Russia. Not much else I can say. Where is Mike Green? The Canadian D looked pretty impressive tonight...

2 Slovakia- 2 Sweden at 2nd intermission currently.

Unreal game by the Canadians, completely dominated the Russians......came out and played hard and buried their chances. Knew if they could put the body on the Russians and contain their energy/emotions they'd be alright.

We'll see what happens in the Semi's.......hope that the Canadians didn't use all their energy tonight. Luongo needs to continue his strong play if we want to get to the Gold Medal game.

As for Boyle taking out Semin, he (Boyle) deserved a penalty, and yes it was a stupid move.....but if you saw the replay you see Semin right up in Boyle's face talking smack
smh.gif
. Semin is a little female dog and shouldn't be talking smack when you're getting smoked 7-3 (or whatever the score was at that point). Hit was clean and was NOT a high hit, no point in trying to rub it in when you're team is down and out of the tournament.

Didn't bother going back and quoting......but did I see someone say Russians dominate hockey?
indifferent.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif

It may not have shown in the US, but here in Toronto the TV station showed a slow-mo replay of the incident and you see Semin's head turned toward the right side of Boyles head and you see Semin's lips moving. They are touching shoulders and that's when Boyle takes out Semin. It was clear Semin was talking %!#* and that's why Boyle took him out. I'll try and find it on Youtube.

After I obliterate a dude and all of a sudden he's next to me, upset about a legal hit, I'd definitely say something (talk smack).

I don't know much about Semin's game and I won't pretend to, but I personally don't see a single thing he did wrong. Said smack talking included.

Didn't bother going back and quoting......but did I see someone say Russians dominate hockey?
indifferent.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif

I do agree with you though about Canadians thinking they areentitled to gold. I hear it too much here..."This is OUR game"..."Wehave the best team in the world"...blah blah...the fact is, Canada (norany other team) has been dominant in men's hockey in the last 2decades. If anything, Russia have been the most dominant hockey countryin the last 50 years winning a bunch of Olympic gold medals from the60's to early 90s. Canada has just 1 Olympic gold medal in the last 60years.

If you take a look at the annual World Championships,Russia have been far more impressive than any other country. Canada won80% of its World Championships prior to the 1960s. No team has won moreWC's than Russia since the 1960s.

So yes, Canada has some of thebest players in the world but the arrogance amongst Canadian hockeyfans does not seem to make much sense when you look at the country'sresults over the past 50-years or so. Just 5 WC's in the last 50 years(it's an annual event) and just 1 Olympic Gold in the last 15 winterOlympics
smh.gif
sick.gif

Just stating facts.

Russia with 7 Olympic Gold medals since 1960. Canada with 1.

Russia with 23 World Championships since 1960. Canada with 5.

So you tell me who's been more dominant.

Wow, those numbers are impressive.

I'm interested in how well Russia has done after the break up of the Soviet Union, though.

^Funny, it wasn't you I was thinking of though.
ohwell.gif

I wouldn't say Russians dominate hockey.......I really don't know how I'll explain this
laugh.gif
, maybe when I think of the NHL or hockey in general, I don't think of the Russians?
ohwell.gif
. Obviously as you have shown Russia has won all the world events etc......but when I think of the best players that have played our game, and the # of Canadians on each Stanley Cup winning team throughout the years, it doesn't seem to show the Russians are the majority of players. Sounds stupid I know......I'll have to try and think of a better way to explain my side.

Originally Posted by Never Seen B4

Originally Posted by What up

Never Seen B4 wrote:

What up wrote:

The Russians are SOFT.

Everyone besides Ovechkin is charmin.

indifferent.gif

laugh.gif
 You were saying?  I can't believe people were actually thinking the Russians would do anything. 

This game is far from over. Do you need to be reminded that we dominate "your game".
^That is the quote I was referring to. As you can tell, it's a Russian saying this (He has stated he is Russian) and getting mad because his team got dismantled. The typical cocky attitude of a Russian hockey fan is shown here.

Originally Posted by What up

After I obliterate a dude and all of a sudden he's next to me, upset about a legal hit, I'd definitely say something (talk smack).

I don't know much about Semin's game and I won't pretend to, but I personally don't see a single thing he did wrong. Said smack talking included.
You'd have to see the replay.......they were skating up ice and Semin had absolutely no reason to be side by side with Boyle. I don't think Boyle skated up to him, it was more so Semin making sure Boyle felt that hit. Maybe I'm totally wrong and Boyle went up to Semin to get revenge for the hit......if that is the case, then Semin did no wrong. However, if Semin made HIS way to Boyle to rub the hit in his face....then he got what he deserved.

Someone please tell me they have a recording or Jeremy Roenick wrapping up the game and that dude standing behind him in the shot.....lol

Sucks that 2 of the top 4 teams are out now, Russia has a bad pull against canada, you are looking at probably the best 2 teams and they have to play each other first round....

I thought Sweden was going to win for sure......I am missing calls all over the place.......

Originally Posted by cquan05

ohwell.gif

I wouldn't say Russians dominate hockey.......I really don't know how I'll explain this
laugh.gif
, maybe when I think of the NHL or hockey in general, I don't think of the Russians?
ohwell.gif
. Obviously as you have shown Russia has won all the world events etc......but when I think of the best players that have played our game, and the # of Canadians on each Stanley Cup winning team throughout the years, it doesn't seem to show the Russians are the majority of players. Sounds stupid I know......I'll have to try and think of a better way to explain my side.
Yeah but you have to remember that the NHL was dominated by Canadians/Americans until just recently (last 20 years). Sure, there were some Euros playing in the NHL in the 70s and 80s but the league was like 98% North American. So of course there have been far more Canadian Stanley Cup winners than Russians.

I think that while Canada have probably produced more quality players than Russia, it has not translated to as much international success as the Russians have experienced. My problem is with Canadians thinking that having the best players makes your team the best and that Canada are the best hockey country ever when this couldn't be further from the truth.

In the history of hockey, Canada and Russia have been pretty close in Olympic gold/world championships won. In the last 50 years, it has been mostly Russian domination. The last 10 years or so has seen a surge in Canadian international hockey success. Canada won a Gold in the 02 Olympics and have a chance to win another one on Sunday while Russia have not won an Olympic gold since 1992. Canada have also recently won more WCs than Russia.

Anyways, this increased competition is great for the game of hockey. We have 7 really good teams (Czechs, Slovaks, Swedes, Finns, US, Canada, Russia) and Switzerland aren't bad as well. It's a shame this tournament isnt in a more neutral venue as I think it'd make this tournament more wide open. It being in Canada gives the Americans a 'home ice' feel and playing at home gives an already good Canada team an added advantage.

just to throw a fact out there.....this is the first time canada has beaten russia in the olympics in 50 years.........

its funny how you can see the different styles of hockey watching the olympics.........America and Canada play old school hard nose hockey, while the euros seem to play it more like soccer and want to wait on the good shots and use more match up based advantages......Watching the olympics is like watching All Star hockey but with defense and it actually means something......

I cant really find it anywhere but how many perinneal NHL All Stars does the USA hockey team have?

I dont follow Hockey hardcore so I only know 5 guys of their players that are really great players.

Originally Posted by Carlos Tevez

Originally Posted by cquan05

ohwell.gif

laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
Yeah but you have to remember that the NHL was dominated by Canadians/Americans until just recently (last 20 years). Sure, there were some Euros playing in the NHL in the 70s and 80s but the league was like 98% North American. So of course there have been far more Canadian Stanley Cup winners than Russians.

I think that while Canada have probably produced more quality players than Russia, it has not translated to as much international success as the Russians have experienced. My problem is with Canadians thinking that having the best players makes your team the best and that Canada are the best hockey country ever when this couldn't be further from the truth.

In the history of hockey, Canada and Russia have been pretty close in Olympic gold/world championships won. In the last 50 years, it has been mostly Russian domination. The last 10 years or so has seen a surge in Canadian international hockey success. Canada won a Gold in the 02 Olympics and have a chance to win another one on Sunday while Russia have not won an Olympic gold since 1992. Canada have also recently won more WCs than Russia.

Anyways, this increased competition is great for the game of hockey. We have 7 really good teams (Czechs, Slovaks, Swedes, Finns, US, Canada, Russia) and Switzerland aren't bad as well. It's a shame this tournament isnt in a more neutral venue as I think it'd make this tournament more wide open. It being in Canada gives the Americans a 'home ice' feel and playing at home gives an already good Canada team an added advantage.

But the olympics were restricted to amateur players until 1998, since Canada, the Chezch, and Sweden all have won gold, and the World Championships coincede with the Stanley Cup playoffs every year so alot of top Canadians (and now Russians too) are still playing for their respective NHL teams. The Canada Cup/World Cup of Hockey which has been taking place since 1976 and allows professionals to participate - of the 7 tournaments Canada's won 5, Russia's won 1, and the US has won 1. Both Russia and Canada have had decades where the dominated the World Junior tournament - so I think it's fair to say both contries are dominant in their own right on the international stage recently. 

Originally Posted by Mister Friendly

I cant really find it anywhere but how many perinneal NHL All Stars does the USA hockey team have?

I dont follow Hockey hardcore so I only know 5 guys of their players that are really great players.

I just looked it up Team USA has 6 NHL All Star appearances while Team Canada has 48 NHL all star appearances.
eek.gif

I know more than superstars make up a team for international play but Damn!
eek.gif

Virtually none....in the past it was different...

Al Mcinnis
Mike Modano
Brett Hull
Jeremy Roenick
Brian Leetch
plus who ever was on fire that season....

now you might see Rafalski,
Parise,  and Patrick Kane for sure
Tim Thomas and Miller you will see shortly
Komisarek, Stastny are good, but not all starts....
Langenbrunner is also good......

you have to remember hockey is hard to get in to....its expensive as hell, equipment and ice time cost....I dont know how my parents did it......and only the northern states really play hockey (Minn, MI, Dakotas, Wisc, NY, and the NE)...basically meaning we dont have enough people playing to compete with the best in the world.....

its just cause the usa team is young and canada has a bunch of old geezers veterans

brodeur prolly has more all-star appearances than the entire usa team put together
laugh.gif

slovakia
pimp.gif

finally im just baffled that neither the swedes nor the russians will medal

I just looked it up Team USA has 6 NHL All Star appearances while Team Canada has 48 NHL all star appearances.
eek.gif

I know more than superstars make up a team for international play but Damn!
eek.gif

I just choked on my water a little bit.

Back
Top Bottom