HOUSTON ROCKETS Thread '14/'15 - Offseason - Picks (+ Jason Terry)

It's inevitable. Zero chance we pay either of those guys 15 mill

Really? Do you even follow the Rockets or understand Asik's or Lin's contract? We won't owe 15 million but rather 8.33 million. If the Knicks/Bulls matched they would have owed 15 million in the last year.

Besides, at this point Lin has significant value to the Rockets IMO. Every team needs a solid 6th man and without him our bench is dismal. Plus he can come in to start in case of injuries (Harden, Beverley), play the SG with Beverley, play small ball, and meshes well with the culture of the team. I know he's not a perfect player and he could be more consistent (but really, no one besides Harden has been that consistent) and his TOs are an issue but he pushes the ball and is probably one of our better passers/playmakers.

Last edited:
My bad, you're right. We do only pay them each 8 million. I still think they both end up traded to make room to resign Parsons another piece. Parsons himself is probably going to get around 8-10 million

Wow, I thought this season would be Parsons' re-up season, didn't know it was next year

My bad, you're right. We do only pay them each 8 million. I still think they both end up traded to make room to resign Parsons another piece. Parsons himself is probably going to get around 8-10 million

We don't need to trade them to resign parsons. They'll all hit the market at the same time.

We don't need to trade them to resign parsons. They'll all hit the market at the same time.

The point would be to get something in return instead of just letting them walk. You really think Morey isn't going to cash in his chips?

I think we try to work something out with Chap this summer though instead of letting him become an unrestricted free agent the following summer. I doubt he'd be happy with the organization if they made him play another year for less than $1mil. That could end up hurting us in the long run.

We've been through a lot of scenarios, but personally, I think we have a good bunch of pieces at this point. We just need to trade Asik for cap space and give the money to Chap. Keep Lin and have him come off the bench, but he's got to play solidly more consistently. He'll be very overpaid next season, but we'll just have to suck it up.

It might just be wishful thinking, but I honestly think this team can put it all together...they just need more time and they need to play more consistently. We'll see how they perform during the playoffs though, because these long seasons lead to a lot of bs regular season games where there's not much focus.

Last edited:
The point would be to get something in return instead of just letting them walk. You really think Morey isn't going to cash in his chips?

I agree. Just stating that if there's no deal on the table that the Rockets like or if we have to take a longer contract back, we'll probably let Asik/Lin walk especially having to resign Parsons and T. Jones and not to mention looking for that third star and having to replace Lin's 6th man spot.

All in all, Rockets are in a good position IMO, not struggling with the cap as of now and they have chips/expiring contracts/and only the superstars on long term deals. Let's enjoy the next couple of years fellas.

And again, let's clear this misconception, Lin/Asik counts 8.33 million against the cap for the Rockets, same as the previous 2 years of their deals. NO poison pill for the Rockets, probably the biggest misunderstanding in the league when fans want to talk about contracts, even Rockets fans.

Last edited:
I would be very surprised if they didn't try and get a deal done with Parsons this year and risk him leaving next year in free agency.

Don't mean to derail the topic, but is there any update with Omer? Dude has been out for two months with a "bruised knee"…I'm definitely not underestimating the severity of the injury, but two months? No updates whatsoever from him? I think he just doesn't want to play for the rockets anymore, which is a shame because we really need a backup 5… Dmo is doing great, but he is not cut for that 5 position. He's a natural 4 (thank god Mchale figured this out 
laugh.gif
). 

Should be interesting to see what we offer Parsons. If we give him a decent contract that will basically prevent us from getting a 3rd max contract type player. Is DM gonna try to go the Miami route or to just build a solid team? I guess if you do sign Parson's, you could always move him in a deal for another max type player.  

I don't know what this means, but Joel Blank just said Lin has a top 5 penetration rate in the league...

In front of him is Rachel Starr, Jenna Jameson, Sasha Gray, and Stoya.

Why the Houston Rockets Shouldn't Deal Jeremy Lin at the NBA Trade Deadline

Injuries Have Kept the Rockets From Jelling All Season Long
By M. De Moor
3 hours ago

From top to bottom, Houston has been plagued by short-term injuries all season long. The Rockets entered the regular season healthy, but Patrick Beverley quickly found himself on the shelf, missing the team's second, third and fourth games.

Shortly thereafter, it was James Harden missing four out of eight games with a bum ankle. Then, it was Jeremy Lin missing 10 out of 12 games with a knee injury and back spasms. After Lin finally returned, Beverley once again hit the shelf, this time with a broken hand.

Beverley came back after 14 games, but returned to a team that was minus Terrence Jones for a couple of games. When Jones returned to the starting lineup, Harden missed a pair of games (both wins).

Finally, on February 1, Harden returned to a healthy core of Dwight Howard (who hasn't missed a game all year), Parsons (who has missed five games), Beverley, Lin, Jones and Donatas Motiejunas.

Yes, Omer Asik and Francisco Garcia are both out indefinitely (with Garcia's injury definitely legitimate and Asik's injury legitimately questionable), and Greg Smith has been battling a knee injury for most of the year (he's appeared in only 11 contests after playing 70 games last season).

However, as it stands right now, the young, talented core of the Rockets is at full strength, which is a great sign for the boys in red.

The core of Harden, Howard, Lin, Parsons, Jones and Beverley have only been in uniform together 12 times this season, and just four times since November 21.

Depth is a legitimate concern for Houston, which has only Lin, Motiejunas and Omri Casspi coming off the bench and firmly in the rotation. But, as it stands right now, that eight-man rotation is good enough to win games, and if Rockets general manager Daryl Morey wants to make a move at the trade deadline (something he has shown the propensity to do), the focus should be on improving the team's depth (especially in the frontcourt).

There were whispers of Houston shopping Lin earlier in the season, and, personally, I was in favor of the move, citing Lin's chemistry issues with Harden, Houston's point-guard depth (Aaron Brooks is a solid backup point guard), and its need for help in the frontcourt as reasons to do so. However, since this team has had so much trouble staying consistent this season, the Rockets shouldn't trade the man who spawned "Linsanity" just two years ago.

On February 1, Lin led Houston to a convincing victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers, posting a triple-double with 15 points, 11 rebounds and 10 assists. Not only did Lin perform well, but Beverley (10 rebounds, eight assists, five steals) and Harden (28 points on 10-17 shooting, four assists) were also productive, and it's been a rare sight for all three guards to post solid numbers in the same game this season.

One game in the middle of an 82-game schedule doesn't mean all that much (especially when it's against a defensively inept team like the Cavs), but Houston's collective performance, especially from its backcourt, against the Cavaliers shows how high the ceiling is for this young squad.

Whether it's this summer or next summer, the Rockets are going to have to sign Parsons to a lucrative, long-term deal, so the luxury of having two starting-caliber point guards might not be possible in the coming years. With the San Antonio Spurs falling apart with injuries, Russell Westbrook's flaky knee, the Golden State Warriors' polarizing play, the Los Angeles Clippers looking beatable, and the Portland Trail Blazers unlikely (in my opinion) to contend with their lack of depth, the Western Conference is winnable for the Rockets this season.

Chemistry is not something you can forge, and for such a young and talented team like the Rockets, experience is all they need. Quietly, Houston has found a solution to its frontcourt problems with the emergence of Jones as a future All-Star at the 4 and the quiet but pleasant emergence of D-Mo as a third big man.

If Lin can keep his confidence up, Beverley can stay healthy, and Harden can continue to show the same kind of defensive intensity he has shown in the past month, the Rockets have a shot at taking the Western Conference -- an outside shot, but a shot nonetheless.

Morey is as creative as it gets when it comes to personnel decisions, and if he can pull off a deal for a guy like Kenneth Faried without moving anyone in the current rotation, the Rockets will be a tough out in the Western Conference.

After three days off, Houston squares off against the Phoenix Suns on Wednesday night at the Toyota Center.

LOL @ "Omer Asik is getting closer and closer to coming back". What does that even mean???? Garcia is supposed to be back tonight though

Keep this winning streak alive until the AS break :pimp:

Amazing how easy the game becomes when we feed Dwight.

Back
Top Bottom