Historically underrated NBA players.

Originally Posted by p0tat0 5alad

glen-rice.jpg

One of my all-time favorite players  
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by jcbacall

andre_miller-arton21093-240x240.jpg

this dude is a proven winner. too bad his lack of athleticism has allowed himself to be overshadowed

always thought this...

he puts up great numbers.... used to stay around the top ten in field goal percentage and assists...

what aabout chris mullen??

mullin3.jpg

Originally Posted by jcbacall

andre_miller-arton21093-240x240.jpg

this dude is a proven winner. too bad his lack of athleticism has allowed himself to be overshadowed

always thought this...

he puts up great numbers.... used to stay around the top ten in field goal percentage and assists...

what aabout chris mullen??

mullin3.jpg

Originally Posted by amel223

Originally Posted by DCAllAmerican

But I don't expect you to provide any solid evidence so just forget this thread exists.

I'm not going to let you go on that 'people hate on Dirk cuz he's white' steez. 

Fine, maybe he isn't soft. 

You don't think maybe people hate on him cuz they think he's soft not because they think of his color? 

Just where did you get that idea? 

Entire reason why I got in this thread to begin with. 

But I actually think race makes it much easier to hate on him and Nash. I am not understanding why you are dismissing people not liking certain players because they are white. People hated Bird because he wasn't black. ANd I do feel people hate Dirk and Nash for that very reason alone as well. And a LOT of people where I am from just hate white players just cause. It exists man. Players were hated for their skin color in 1960, what do you think the human emotion/mind has advanced that much where they don't do that anymore?
Originally Posted by Statis22

Rodman.

From a aspect that IMO he was the 2nd repeat Bulls most important player. They don't win in 96, 97, or 98 without him.

Also one for the road, James Posey. If its clutch time, he ain't missing. Think the Celtics didn't miss him in the Finals last year? With him that series doesn't go back to LA.
Actually Jordan was the most important player.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Originally Posted by 10027

Dirk is easily one of the top 10 players of the post-jordan era.
Not sure if serious. Dirk is soft I can't remember the last time I saw him block a shot attempt.
Is that all you can come up with for why you don't think he is a Top 10 player since Jordan left? You don't know the last time you saw him block a shot? Really? Ok if Dirk is not on your list, please let me see your list.

Originally Posted by amel223

But I don't expect you to provide any solid evidence so just forget this thread exists.

I'm not going to let you go on that 'people hate on Dirk cuz he's white' steez. 

Fine, maybe he isn't soft. 

You don't think maybe people hate on him cuz they think he's soft not because they think of his color? 

Just where did you get that idea? 

Entire reason why I got in this thread to begin with. 

But I actually think race makes it much easier to hate on him and Nash. I am not understanding why you are dismissing people not liking certain players because they are white. People hated Bird because he wasn't black. ANd I do feel people hate Dirk and Nash for that very reason alone as well. And a LOT of people where I am from just hate white players just cause. It exists man. Players were hated for their skin color in 1960, what do you think the human emotion/mind has advanced that much where they don't do that anymore?
Originally Posted by Statis22

Rodman.

From a aspect that IMO he was the 2nd repeat Bulls most important player. They don't win in 96, 97, or 98 without him.

Also one for the road, James Posey. If its clutch time, he ain't missing. Think the Celtics didn't miss him in the Finals last year? With him that series doesn't go back to LA.
Actually Jordan was the most important player.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Originally Posted by 10027

Dirk is easily one of the top 10 players of the post-jordan era.
Not sure if serious. Dirk is soft I can't remember the last time I saw him block a shot attempt.
Is that all you can come up with for why you don't think he is a Top 10 player since Jordan left? You don't know the last time you saw him block a shot? Really? Ok if Dirk is not on your list, please let me see your list.

Andre Miller is definitely underrated...hell even half my city hates the guy. Great IQ, plays his position and role extremely well and just shows up to work. No flash, no cockiness just pure determination and grit.

Andre Miller is definitely underrated...hell even half my city hates the guy. Great IQ, plays his position and role extremely well and just shows up to work. No flash, no cockiness just pure determination and grit.

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Which is tougher: shooting a jumpshot or fighting for a rebound?

AH-AH-AH... I didn't ask which was more difficult, so save the answers about practice and footwork and moving without the ball and all that jazz.

TOUGHER

Which is TOUGHER?

How about helping lock the paint down? Tougher than a jumpshot?

Yes, you could be a 6'8"+ dude who avoids the 'soft' label... so long as you also get down and do work under the rim, grab some boards (not the ones that just bounced your way, but those 'Go get the damn ball' rebounds), be a big presence to potential slashers.

But most finesse players are reluctant to bang bodies underneath.

Because they're soft.
Bosh is a very good rebounder, Dirk is a solid rebounder.

Brandon Bass is not good at rebounding and is considered tough as hell, In Dirk's his whitness has alot more to with his"softness" then anything else.

Plus I think being unathletic as Dirk is prevents you from being able to grab boards, I don't think it has anything with "softness"

Originally Posted by 23ska909red02

Which is tougher: shooting a jumpshot or fighting for a rebound?

AH-AH-AH... I didn't ask which was more difficult, so save the answers about practice and footwork and moving without the ball and all that jazz.

TOUGHER

Which is TOUGHER?

How about helping lock the paint down? Tougher than a jumpshot?

Yes, you could be a 6'8"+ dude who avoids the 'soft' label... so long as you also get down and do work under the rim, grab some boards (not the ones that just bounced your way, but those 'Go get the damn ball' rebounds), be a big presence to potential slashers.

But most finesse players are reluctant to bang bodies underneath.

Because they're soft.
Bosh is a very good rebounder, Dirk is a solid rebounder.

Brandon Bass is not good at rebounding and is considered tough as hell, In Dirk's his whitness has alot more to with his"softness" then anything else.

Plus I think being unathletic as Dirk is prevents you from being able to grab boards, I don't think it has anything with "softness"

T. Brandon.
Rodman.
Scottie Pippen.
Dale Ellis.
GP.
Detlef schrempf.
Hersey Hawkins. Lol.
Hornacek.
Sabonis.
Kevin Willis.
Chris Mullin.
Mitch Richmond (sac x's)!!!
Thunder Dan.
K Johnson
Allan Houston.

T. Brandon.
Rodman.
Scottie Pippen.
Dale Ellis.
GP.
Detlef schrempf.
Hersey Hawkins. Lol.
Hornacek.
Sabonis.
Kevin Willis.
Chris Mullin.
Mitch Richmond (sac x's)!!!
Thunder Dan.
K Johnson
Allan Houston.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Rebounding is all about anticipation and geometry. As they love to say, most rebounds happen way below the rim. Athleticism can't be used as a reason for not rebounding. Not speaking about Dirk, just anyone that is blessed in the height department.

Like this man below

kevin-love.jpg

Rebounding is all about anticipation and geometry. As they love to say, most rebounds happen way below the rim. Athleticism can't be used as a reason for not rebounding. Not speaking about Dirk, just anyone that is blessed in the height department.

Like this man below

kevin-love.jpg

Man, I mentioned Rod Strickland in a thread a few months ago about underrated players, and I got laughed out the thread.

I agree, though; dude is crazy underrated. Talk about some of the greatest players of the 90s and watch how long it takes his name to come up... IF it comes up.

And back to Dirk: if you're 6'8"+ and you're not consistently grabbing boards, it's not because you're unathletic. It's because you're soft. That tall, and averaging 7 or 8 boards? Inexcusable, especially since at least a couple of those just bounced to your tall self.

Jason Kidd has always been considered one of the best rebounding PGs in the game. Does he strike you as terribly athletic? Not me, and he's been my favorite player in the league for about 10 years. But he's not athletic. He's smart, and not afraid of contact, and that's why he's getting nearly 5 boards a game at roughly a hundred years old (ok, 37
laugh.gif
).

Man, I mentioned Rod Strickland in a thread a few months ago about underrated players, and I got laughed out the thread.

I agree, though; dude is crazy underrated. Talk about some of the greatest players of the 90s and watch how long it takes his name to come up... IF it comes up.

And back to Dirk: if you're 6'8"+ and you're not consistently grabbing boards, it's not because you're unathletic. It's because you're soft. That tall, and averaging 7 or 8 boards? Inexcusable, especially since at least a couple of those just bounced to your tall self.

Jason Kidd has always been considered one of the best rebounding PGs in the game. Does he strike you as terribly athletic? Not me, and he's been my favorite player in the league for about 10 years. But he's not athletic. He's smart, and not afraid of contact, and that's why he's getting nearly 5 boards a game at roughly a hundred years old (ok, 37
laugh.gif
).

Like this man below

kevin-love.jpg
FYI: 35.5 inch combine vertical according to draftxpress, which is very high for a PF. Kevin Love style of play make shim seem less athletic than he actually is, he's not fast quick, and can't move laterally but he can jump when he has too.

IMO rebounding is a skill, combination of athleticism, strength, quickness and anticipation. Height helps but to be a high level rebounder you need those skills.  Dirk is slow, average strength, can't jump at all and shoots threes taking him farther away from the basket taking away chances for offensive rebounds.

Again I present to you Brandon Bass

Act_brandon_bass.jpg

6'8, solid athleticism, strong as an ox 12% career rebound rate, dark skinned black dude.
Nobody calls BB soft, never heard him chastised for his poor rebounding, But Dirk, who is less athletic, plays farther away from the basket as a 13% rebound rate.

If Brandon last name was Bassavich I  don't think he would get that benefit of the doubt.

Like this man below

kevin-love.jpg
FYI: 35.5 inch combine vertical according to draftxpress, which is very high for a PF. Kevin Love style of play make shim seem less athletic than he actually is, he's not fast quick, and can't move laterally but he can jump when he has too.

IMO rebounding is a skill, combination of athleticism, strength, quickness and anticipation. Height helps but to be a high level rebounder you need those skills.  Dirk is slow, average strength, can't jump at all and shoots threes taking him farther away from the basket taking away chances for offensive rebounds.

Again I present to you Brandon Bass

Act_brandon_bass.jpg

6'8, solid athleticism, strong as an ox 12% career rebound rate, dark skinned black dude.
Nobody calls BB soft, never heard him chastised for his poor rebounding, But Dirk, who is less athletic, plays farther away from the basket as a 13% rebound rate.

If Brandon last name was Bassavich I  don't think he would get that benefit of the doubt.

Nobody talks about Brandon Bass being soft...

... because nobody talks about Brandon Bass.

Dirk is an MVP candidate every year.

Nobody talks about Brandon Bass being soft...

... because nobody talks about Brandon Bass.

Dirk is an MVP candidate every year.

Back
Top Bottom