Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Yet you admit you don't watch much UT football but you say Gideon is a 1st rounder. That was just a sample, he has about 3 years of that going on.

As far as Brown, I can safely say I watched him a lot more than you did. Guy gets beat far more than he needs to. I don't think he belongs in the category of a top prospect. If you do then that's okay too.

I just don't agree with your assessment of either player though.

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Prince, PP, Brandon Harris, Ras I, Jimmy Smith as the top 5 CBs

Ras I being a top 5 corner, come on man. Playing in 5 games and with a single pass break up and no picks. And that isn't a product of teams staying a way from him. He had major durability concerns coming into the year and this year made it even worse. Pre-season yes, now no chance in hell. He needs a strong senior bowl week.

I can listen to the others, I personally disagree, but to say Ras I, got to say something about that.

How I see it:
PP
Prince
Harris
Williams
Smith
Burton
ok so youre just going to discount 3 yrs of playing top notch football  cus he played 5 games... a  6'2 200 lb CB. who has great size speed ratio. 

thats pretty ridiculous that u just looked up his stats and then just threw out a blanket judgement

that isnt a product of teams not going away from him?   " Come on man "

Blake Gideon ....
eek.gif

KingJames23 wrote:

GUNNA GET IT wrote:

Prince, PP, Brandon Harris, Ras I, Jimmy Smith as the top 5 CBs

Ras I being a top 5 corner, come on man. Playing in 5 games and with a single pass break up and no picks. And that isn't a product of teams staying a way from him. He had major durability concerns coming into the year and this year made it even worse. Pre-season yes, now no chance in hell. He needs a strong senior bowl week.

I can listen to the others, I personally disagree, but to say Ras I, got to say something about that.

How I see it:
PP
Prince
Harris
Williams
Smith
Burton
ok so youre just going to discount 3 yrs of playing top notch football  cus he played 5 games... a  6'2 200 lb CB. who has great size speed ratio. 

thats pretty ridiculous that u just looked up his stats and then just threw out a blanket judgement

that isnt a product of teams not going away from him?   " Come on man "

Blake Gideon ....
eek.gif

Ras I had durability concerns coming into the year and he provided the wrong answer. He can't stay on the field. I was a huge Ras I fan coming into the year. I don't use stats to base my judgement, i used stats as back up to my judgement. I've went back and watched his first 3 games of the year. It's not like teams refused to throw at him.

If you really want it i could post my notes from what i watched

Ras is an everydown starting CB in the NFL

he has much more potential and tools than Janoris Jenkins, he's more physical & better tech. thats why he rates higher with nearly everyone.

If Janoris Jenkins had received word that he was a top 5 CB, he would not have come back to school.

5'9 Javier Arenas went 2nd round and had no coverage skills and ran a 4.5 something for scouts.

BSquared is 6ft and more than likely will post something around 4.4 or better

dont be surprised if and when it happens

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

^ I guess we can ignore the fact Earl Thomas took a TERRIBLE angle as well. What round did he go again??
Earl was also a play maker in coverage and he tackles well too...

Blake Gideon is an athlete playing safety.. I cannot tell you how many times I've seen in over-pursue the run or have a route run right in front of his face and he didn't react until the receiver was two steps by him.

Ras is an everydown starting CB in the NFL

he has much more potential and tools than Janoris Jenkins, he's more physical & better tech. thats why he rates higher with nearly everyone.

If Janoris Jenkins had received word that he was a top 5 CB, he would not have come back to school.

Because they NFL draft board is perfect, they told Devon Bess he was a 4/5 th round pick and he wen't undrafted
laugh.gif

And part of it was how well he would be able to prepare for workouts coming off of surgery,

Who is almost everyone? I'd like to know. Scott Wright has Dowling as a 3, CBS has him as a 2/3 (6 CB without Janoris), I hate Todd/Mel but they have Janoris ahead of Dowling, draft scout has Dowling as a 2/3, New Era has him as a 3, mocking has him has a late 2.

And it's debatable that he even stays at CB, he's more of a tweener. Based on the team he could easily end up at FS.

Originally Posted by IYE2

Being a return man in college is the great equalizer it seems
laugh.gif

laugh.gif
Devin Hester went Early round 2 solely based on return skills and ya man Teddy Ginn got Arab Money off it
laugh.gif

guy who can fill two positions with one Roster spot is very valuable.

Martez Wilson entering the draft.

30t6p3b.gif
Zook has at least 5 NFL players on that team and he still cant beat no one worth a damn.

laugh.gif
 I love Ted Ginn, Jr. but it's sad dude couldn't cut it at corner or receiver. At least he ran back two returns against the Jets and got his boy Troy Smith's back with Mike Singletary. 
Ras is good but I like Chase Minnifield better. Kid got that NFL pedigree in his blood. How would you guys rank Dowling, Minnifield, and Cook?

Gunna, you always been tough on Janoris though. I'll admit Haden surprised me with his rookie year. 

I got you, Dre. Based on what I saw from Gideon as a true freshman and sophomore, I felt he had a chance to be a late first or early second-rounder much like Eric Weddle. I'll admit again I didn't follow UT football this year as closely as I usually do but it seems their entire defensive unit had a letdown year overall, not just Blake Gideon. I'm going back to watch tape from this past season in particular to look for the flaws mentioned (poor tackling for example), but until I see something clear to change my mind I gotta stick with Gideon being a potential first-rounder in the 2012 Draft. Even if you look at this year's safety class (seniors), I think Gideon is comparable to Jeron Johnson and Deunta Williams. By the way, Dre, what's your opinion on Curtis Brown?

Nowitness, let me just clarify that everyone clearly knows Earl Thomas was the better prospect. He made a great open-field tackle on Reggie Bush on Wildcard Weekend. I've been tough on ET but dude had a solid rookie year. I still think Nate Allen was better value and could very well have the better career of the two players. I knew Taylor Mays would be a waste of a second-rounder. Allen will be the best safety in the class not named Eric Berry. 

Let me reiterate that I watched Gideon A LOT his first two years at UT and he definitely tackled well his sophomore year. Not to mention the 6 picks and PBU to go with it. So the kid definitely has the talent to cover and help in run support. I'm just not quite sure what you guys saw from him this season that changes that, but I'll be sure to look for it specifically on tape. I'll eat my words if Gideon ends up more like Jon McGraw than Weddle 
sick.gif

Seems as if Mike Floyd returning has turned into a legitimate option.

I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by dreClark

Looks like Latwaan is still gonna bolt from Miami
nerd.gif

He already bolted. He's just not coming back. He quit the football team back in October because of some issues he had with Randy.

Golden wanted him back but the AD shut that down because he quit school too.

Does anyone actually see anything in Prince that would make you rank him over Peterson?
On another note Jimmy Smith from Colorado could be a great value pick in rounds 2 or 3 (unlikely). He's a great press corner and extremely physical, excels at jamming receivers at the LOS. A defensive player any team could benefit from with big receivers like Calvin Johnson in the league. 

I didnt know the +#$+# had actually quit school.
eek.gif
what kinda dumb *@$ %#*% is that?

so this Negro is sittin on ZERO Credit hrs, and thinks he just gonna play DI football next season?

Dr Bob's writeup on the game tonight, interesting stuff,

Oregon 40 Auburn (-2.5) 36 (at National Championship)
05:30 PM Pacific, 10-Jan-11

The only reason Auburn is favored in this game is because they’re anSEC team and most people are under the impression that the SEC is thebest conference in the nation. Normally that is the case but thisseason the Pac-10’s average team rating was the highest in the nation.The SEC has the highest average margin of victory in non-conferencegames at +20.2 points, but the average opponent in those 57non-conference games (including Bowls) is 6.5 points worse than anaverage Division 1A team (so the SEC is 13.7 points better than averagein non-conference games). The Pac-10, meanwhile, had a scoring marginof +14.2 points in their 34 non-conference games, but the averageopponent is 0.9 points better than an average 1A team, so the Pac 10 is15.1 points better than average in those games. The Pac-10 started thisbowl season with a bad loss by Arizona against Oklahoma State, butWashington upset Nebraska 19-7 as a 14 point dog and Stanford beat thecrap out of a very good Virginia Tech team 40-12. The mighty SEC isjust 4-5 straight up in bowl games this season despite being favored in6 of those games and by an average of 2.8 points. The bowl gamescertainly don’t hurt my case that the Pac-10 is better than the SECthis season. Even the Pac-10 teams that didn’t qualify for a bowl gamerepresented themselves well this season, as Oregon State hung tough andcovered against both TCU and Boise State, UCLA beat up on Houston (withAll-American Case Keenum at quarterback) and won big at Texas, andArizona State lost by just 1 point (on a missed extra point) atWisconsin. Only Cal’s 21 point loss at Nevada and Washington’s 35 pointhome loss to Nebraska were bad losses by Pac-10 teams other thanWashington State - and Washington evened the score with Nebraska in theHoliday Bowl. The Pac-10 has been disrespected for more than a decadecome bowl season and Pac-10 underdogs are 20-6 ATS in bowl games since1997, including 16-2 ATS if the Pac-10 representative came into thegame at least 3 games over .500.

Despite playing in the nation’s toughest conference Oregon won all butone of their games by 17 points or more, including a 52-31 win over aStanford squad that may end the season as high as #2 in the finalrankings. Only Cal, with the nation’s 6th best defense (based on myratings) was able to stay close to the Ducks in a 15-13 game. Auburn,meanwhile, had 4 wins by 3 points or less and 6 wins by 8 points orfewer despite facing an easier schedule than Oregon played. Oregon onlyplayed 3 games all season (Arizona State, Washington State and Cal)that would have been losses had they played at the same level against ateam as good as Auburn. The Tigers, meanwhile, would have gone 6-7straight up given their performance in each game if they had facedOregon every game.

Oregon’s offense is fast paced (77.4 plays per game) and can beat youon the ground (296 yards at 6.4 yards per rushing play against Division1A competition) or through the air with the arm of Darron Thomas, whoaveraged 7.5 yards per pass play against teams that would combine toallow just 5.7 yppp to an average quarterback. Overall the Ducksaveraged 532 yards at 6.9 yppl and scored an average of 47.5 points pergame against 1A teams that would combine to allow just 5.2 yppl and24.3 points to an average attack. Auburn’s defense is only 0.4 ypplbetter than average (5.4 yppl allowed to teams that would average 5.8yppl against an average defense) and they will not be able to keep theDucks from scoring a ton of points. Oregon faced 5 teams that I rate asbetter defensively than Auburn is (Arizona State, Stanford, Cal,Arizona, and Oregon State) and the Ducks averaged 38.8 points in those5 games while scoring 37 or more in 4 of the 5. The only team allseason to hold Oregon to less than 37 points was California, who hasthe individual talent at all 3 levels of the defense to play the Ducksman to man and win those battles. Cal played the Ducks receivers one onone because they had the talent at cornerback to do so. Auburn’sdefensive backs are the weakness of their team and the Tigers will getexploited if they try to play the same type of defensive scheme thatworked for the Bears (I hope they do try that defense). Oregonperformed at the same level offensively against better than averagedefensive teams, as their compensated rushing numbers against good rundefenses was actually 0.3 yards per rushing play better while DarronThomas was 0.3 yards per pass play worse against good pass defenses.Auburn’ defense, meanwhile, gave up 6.3 yards per play or more on 5separate occasions this season and the best 3 offensive teams thatAuburn faced (Arkansas, Georgia, and Alabama) averaged 459 yards at 7.0yppl. Those 3 teams would combine to average 7.0 yppl against anaverage defensive team, so the Tigers were just average defensivelyagainst the 3 very good offensive teams that they faced. My math modelprojects 522 yards at 6.8 yppl and 39 points for the Ducks in this gameand that could be conservative given how mediocre Auburn’s defense wasagainst elite offensive teams.

Auburn’s offense is actually better than Oregon’s attack from acompensated yards per play perspective but not from a scoringperspective (because Oregon ran so many points plays than Auburn did).The Tigers averaged 7.2 yards per play and 41.1 points per game againstDivision 1A teams that would combine to allow 5.1 yppl and 23.3 pointsto an average team, so the Tigers are actually 0.4 yppl better onoffense than Oregon is. The Ducks’ defense, however, is an underratedunit that is 0.5 yppl better than the Auburn defense. Oregon yieldedjust 4.8 yppl to a schedule of 1A teams that would combine to average5.7 yppl against an average defensive team. Like Auburn’s defense, theDucks weren’t quite as good against the good offensive teams that theyfaced. In games against Arizona State, Stanford, USC, and Arizona, the4 best offensive teams that Oregon faced, the Ducks allowed 5.9 yppl,which is still 0.5 yppl better than average given that those teamswould combine to average 6.4 yppl against an average defensive team.That’s 0.4 yppl worse than the overall defensive rating for the Ducksbut Auburn’s defensive rating was also 0.4 yppl worse against thebetter offensive teams that they faced. Auburn’s offense performed atabout the same level against the good defensive teams that they faced,averaging 6.6 yppl against Mississippi State, Clemson, South Carolina(twice), LSU, and Alabama, who would combine to allow 4.6 yppl to anaverage team (that +2.0 yppl rating against good defensive teams isonly 0.1 yppl worse than their overall rating). My math model projects508 yards at 6.85 yppl for the Tigers in this game.

The projected yardage is pretty even in this game with Oregon expectedto gain 522 yards at 6.80 yppl and Auburn expected to compile 508 yardsat 6.85 yppl and the projected turnovers are even too. The differencecould be Oregon’s fantastic special teams play, as the Ducks returned 5punts for touchdowns and were +5 in special teams touchdowns. Auburnwas even in special teams TDs at 1 for them and 1 given up. The effectof Oregon’s great punt return will be minimized somewhat in this gamebecause neither team will punt too much but I still rate the Ducks atabout 2 points better in special teams for this game.

Overall the math favors Oregon by 2 ½ points and Pac-10 underdogs thatare 3 games or more above .500 are 16-2 ATS in bowl games, so there isno reason not to side with the Ducks here since the only reason thatAuburn is favored is because the SEC has won 5 consecutive BCS Titlegames. The SEC had the best conference in those 5 seasons but that isnot the case this year and the Pac-10 representative in this game islikely to prove it. Both teams are great offensively, but Oregon has abetter defense and better special teams, which gives them the edge inthis game. The edge is not huge, but it’s still an edge and I’m gettinga couple of points with the better team. I don’t have enough reason tomake this game a Best Bet but I’ll consider Oregon a Strong Opinion in this game and I’d take the Ducks in a 2-Star Best Bet at +3 or more. I’ll lean slightly over the 74 point total.

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Seems as if Mike Floyd returning has turned into a legitimate option.

I'm not holding my breath.
Damn, I want that guy in the draft.  He certainly looked ready to me New Years Eve. 
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Does anyone actually see anything in Prince that would make you rank him over Peterson?

There are those who believe that PP will end up playing safety and that is hips aren't fluid enough to be a CB. Scott Wright, and New Era are on that boat, personally I am not.

It would be wise of him to lose some weight though.

Back
Top Bottom