Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Marquise Wright and Sam Smiley have said to be silent commits to UNC after their OVs this weekend.

Many UNC insiders think we've got a great shot at Curtis Grant as well (top 2). I love the fact that we've got his last OV too. I think we end up with a top 10 recruiting class when it's all said and done. February 2 can't come quick enough.

What do y'all think is going to happen tomorrow night? I want Oregon to win, but I think AU is going to win a tight game. Something like 41-38..

I think everyone expects a highscoring game so I predict the defenses outplay the offenses.

I'm glad DoubleJs is shedding some light on Mikel Leshoure. He runs hard and is a legitimate first-round pick in my opinion. I'm not sure I would necessarily take Leshoure over Mark Ingram, but either way the kid from Illinois could be a second-round steal for a team in need of a starting RB.
What about Curtis Brown, Gunna? 

Prince, PP, Brandon Harris, Ras I, Jimmy Smith as the top 5 CBs

Curtis Brown sucks
laugh.gif

denzelandarrington.png

pimp.gif

Spoiler [+]
Denzel Perryman  (#2) is gonna be a hell of a player for UM. Dude is short tho
laugh.gif
)

Gets beat on the short throws.
Gets beat on the long throws.
Footwork is ok.
Not much of a hitter.
Can't catch.
Above average coverage skills.

Other than that, he's a helluva prospect.

Originally Posted by Statis22

Footwork is ok.
Not much of a hitter.
Can't catch.

Other than that, he's a helluva prospect.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Prince, PP, Brandon Harris, Ras I, Jimmy Smith as the top 5 CBs

Ras I being a top 5 corner, come on man. Playing in 5 games and with a single pass break up and no picks. And that isn't a product of teams staying a way from him. He had major durability concerns coming into the year and this year made it even worse. Pre-season yes, now no chance in hell. He needs a strong senior bowl week.

I can listen to the others, I personally disagree, but to say Ras I, got to say something about that.

How I see it:
PP
Prince
Harris
Williams
Smith
Burton

Florida offered A&M commit Shaun Ward... Muschamp told them they're going 3-4 and is trying to sell him on playing early.

Obvious exaggeration, what cornerback doesn't get beat on occasion. If you're saying Curtis Brown consistently gets toasted then how does he have "above average coverage skills"? 

It's well-known that Brown isn't a particularly comfortable tackler and his ball skills are average so I'll give you that, but the coverage technique and footwork are there. Plus he's got good size and speed, should be a solid corner in the league. 

I'm not even a UT guy but I like Aaron Williams and Blake Gideon (Eric Weddle 2.0) too, especially Gideon who will most likely end up a first-rounder. 

Footwork is ok.
Not much of a hitter.
Can't catch.

Originally Posted by Nowitness41Dirk

Florida offered A&M commit Shaun Ward... Muschamp told them they're going 3-4 and is trying to sell him on playing early.

We'll play some 3-4 but we aren't going to be a base 3-4 team. Muschamp has been a base 4-3 at Texas and at Auburn. He makes a big point about being "multiple" on D. I'd guess that there will be plenty of 3-4 played (personally our personnel fits a 3-4 extremely well) but it's not a "switch". So I would hope that is not a direct quote.

^ Nowitness, I'll be honest I didn't follow the Longhorns as much as I usually do this year. Did he have a bad season? Because I've always felt Gideon's skill set warrants first or second-round potential. Feel free to enlighten me.
As for Statis, there's no sense in only responding to the Gideon comment when the main discussion was about Curtis Brown's coverage skills. Like I said earlier how does he get beat on all throws but still have "above average cover skills"?

Just seems like he's always a step behind a play to me... And, from what I remember, he didn't tackle particularly well this year either...

Feels like an athlete playing safety... I just don't think he reads and reacts well at this point.

I didn't say he gets beat all the time but he gets beat more than you think he does if you regard him as high as you do. Im not being overly hard on him, I think Aaron Williams is overrated too. Hell he couldn't even start, how can he a top CB prospect.

He's just an average corner that played in a great scheme like a lot of UTs guys did.

Fair enough. Glad this conversation came up because I'm going back to watch tape on Blake Gideon from this past season. He's been an intriguing prospect since a true freshman. I've always liked his versatility and ability to play multiple positions in the secondary, much like Weddle. And I know Gideon showed out his sophomore year, I remember solid coverage skills and playmaking ability all year. The NC against Bama was a good showcase if I recall correct. I'm thinking Earl Thomas was the one who couldn't tackle Ingram or Richardson. I'm going to keep an eye out for the poor tackling and weak reaction time/instincts you're mentioning. On a side note, didn't the entire UT defensive unit under-perform this year? 
Bottom line I still think Gideon will be a first to second-round pick in the 2012 Draft until I see something that changes my mind. Look at this year's senior class, you can't tell me Gideon isn't comparable to Johnson, Williams, or McDaniel. 

Originally Posted by Statis22

He's just an average corner that played in a great scheme like a lot of UTs guys did.

He has great height at 6' 1", needs to put on a bit of weight though
Good speed
He is very smooth in his backpedal and has good technique, can flip his hips, and run with WRs
Plays well in man to man
Good form tackler, willing to come up in run support

He needs to come down with more INTs however.

I mean, since you asked for it. 
wink.gif

Yeah, that's the1st rounder with the over persuit but to be fair about 5 or 6 guys didn't look too hot here either.
grin.gif

^ I guess we can ignore the fact Earl Thomas took a TERRIBLE angle as well. What round did he go again??
And since we're nitpicking, you DID say Curtis Brown gets beat all the time. "Gets beat on the short throws" and "gets beat on the long throws". What other throws/passes are there 
laugh.gif
 Then you finish by saying he's got above average coverage skills. Make up your mind, man.

To solidify my points, KingJames basically just agreed with me word for word on his analysis of Brown. Not for nothing but I think you'll find the consensus believes Brown has good size, speed, technique, and footwork (like I said from the beginning). He's not without flaws though, I've already admitted Brown could improve his ball skills and tackling. Doesn't mean he's not a potential top 5 corner in this class. 

Back
Top Bottom