Goodbye, 2010 COLLEGE FOOTBALL SEASON - twas a great year,

Originally Posted by BostonThreeParty

Originally Posted by dreClark

There isn't much big time talent in CT and you're gonna be hard pressed to have them go to UCONN over offers from bigger schools. Even if he is on them before the other schools come looking, once they come sniffing around he's more than likely going to be out of look. Edsall is doing the best that he can w/ the cards that he has been dealt. The kids he is getting from Fla are > a lot of the talent in his regional recruiting base. UCONN is a basketball school so it's gonna be very hard to get high level kids to go there.
completely agree with that. 
of course almost all players offered to go to Florida like one OT from CT this year did will happen more frequently but out of every one that is at least ranked or given a star from CT on maxpreps and other services, you get 2? its just a shame. 

I'd say that they've got to keep on winning for more and more years before he can start to take the back yard talent that springs up every once and a while, Which they've got in a QB named Casey Cochran, would be an upgrade as a freshman than Zach Frazer. 

He just hasn't made UConn a household name, even it the home state, even with the success he's had in 10 years in D-1 

But then again, i could be just setting high standards for a clear basketball school.
Believe it or not Connecticut is a football state and produces decent amount of D1 talent every year. Like most of you mentioned however they can't keep homegrown talent in the state.

Tommy Jordan, OT from Ridgefield went to Florida.
Aaron Hernandez starting TE from New England went to Florida.
Connor Hannarty, OT from New Canaan is going to Notre Dame.
Jordon Reed was a QB from New London, he's at Florida.
Mike Golic's son from West Hartford, he's gone to Notre Dame.
The two FCIAC kids from Stamford are at Penn State

And that's just a few. I was watching the Wisconsin game the other night, they almost always seem like they have one or two roster spots filled with someone from Connecticut same with Maryland. 

The Casey Cochran kid has already got an offer from BC as a sophmore and has had interest from schools such as Oregon, Stanford among others. UConn has showed interest, but from what I understand this kid is the biggest QB prospect to come out of CT in a long, long time. To go to UConn he is going to need a cast to rely on and UConn is having trouble doing that.

Connecticut obvisouly has trouble recruiting because of tradition, it's been a D-1 program for 10 years, before that they were playing in a stadium on campus that looked like it should  belong at your local small liberal arts private school.   In it's 10 years however it's played in and won several bowl games and now had an opportunity to play in the BCS Fiesta Bowl. That's not bad considering the history of their program. However, when you look at top recruits in no way are they going to want to go play for a team "that got blown out on national TV and shouldn't even have been there in the first place".

So with that in mind Connecticut has to build around it's own state. CT has great high school football and they do have talent but the talent leaves. Connecticut is like every other large public school in the nation, most kids from home don't like to stay there because everyone else goes there. They want to experience something new and I don't blame them. CT also has to recruit heavy from NJ. NJ also has great high scool football and it's a lot closer for some then say a Big Ten or Big 12 school.

UConn also has the donors and the fanbase to support the team. UConn has excellent state of the art, brand new facilliaties. The money was donated by a wealthy Greenwich businessman who attended UConn. The money in CT can go along way to support and sustain a great D1 program.

Also, you have to remember I think UConn would have been in a much better position if the New England Patriots mess didn't go down the way it did. Actually, we owe the NE Patriots credit for building UConn football. For those of you who don't know, Bob Kraft was inches away from moving the NE Patriots out of Foxboro, Massachusetts down to  East Hartford, Connecticut to what is now Rentschler Stadium. That sight/stadium was originally designed for the Patriots but Kraft was just bluffing for a new stadium to get built up in Massachusetts. With New England no longer moving, UConn had no choice but to take over.

Granted had that stadium not been built UConn still might be a small program, but it also may have led to UConn having a football stadium on campus which I think does a hell of alot more for recruiting. UConn has tons of land around it, so much so you would think you were in Iowa if you step foot there and didn't know anything else about the state. Perfect area to build a stadium.

Oh well.

RR seperating from his core guys might be a real good thing for him. I think he is a good coach but he needed a reality check and he sure got it. Dave Brandon didn't let him call every shot and let him know who was in charge off the field. RR got real defensive (with some cause) early on and made it an us vs them type staff. Getting him away from Magee Smith Gibson will be good. Too much of a wolfpack for him to be successful somewhere away from home. Best of luck to him if he truly is fired. I am getting ahead of myself because it is sounding a lot like the Miles chatter from three years ago.

I have heard that Dave Brandon had been doing quite a bit .ore to find different ways to get money outside of just basic fundraising. Pretty smatt guy. Also heard these ways should help out paying top notch coordinators.

He realizes the football program is a cash cow for his university and wants to get the school back to where he wants it. Michigan is down the list on the national list of how much they devote to football. That is going to change.

Originally Posted by Bigmike23

so butch davis is keeping his job?

laugh.gif
where u been ... once Blake stepped down, Butch was in the clear.

The Vol contingent love where they stand with him, esp since him and Coach Hinshaw are close... same High school

a Gator guy told me last nite he called the Durk to set up a UF visit

He might be one of those kids that needs a hard line coach to get him in line

Timmy Jernigan is dominating the AAA practices early on. If he goes to LSU, that is a sick group of DTs. Timmy, Johnson, Down and Davenport??? Chancey, Bark and Montgomery off the edge is disgusting too.

watching college football live and

ACC is 1-7 in orange bowl games

ACC is 2-10 in BCS games

Vtech is 0-22 VS top 5 teams away from home

roll.gif

Originally Posted by PoloLax

There isn't much big time talent in CT and you're gonna be hard pressed to have them go to UCONN over offers from bigger schools. Even if he is on them before the other schools come looking, once they come sniffing around he's more than likely going to be out of look. Edsall is doing the best that he can w/ the cards that he has been dealt. The kids he is getting from Fla are > a lot of the talent in his regional recruiting base. UCONN is a basketball school so it's gonna be very hard to get high level kids to go there.
of course almost all players offered to go to Florida like one OT from CT this year did will happen more frequently but out of every one that is at least ranked or given a star from CT on maxpreps and other services, you get 2? its just a shame. 

I'd say that they've got to keep on winning for more and more years before he can start to take the back yard talent that springs up every once and a while, Which they've got in a QB named Casey Cochran, would be an upgrade as a freshman than Zach Frazer. 

He just hasn't made UConn a household name, even it the home state, even with the success he's had in 10 years in D-1 

But then again, i could be just setting high standards for a clear basketball school.
Believe it or not Connecticut is a football state and produces decent amount of D1 talent every year. Like most of you mentioned however they can't keep homegrown talent in the state.

And that's just a few. I was watching the Wisconsin game the other night, they almost always seem like they have one or two roster spots filled with someone from Connecticut same with Maryland. 

The Casey Cochran kid has already got an offer from BC as a sophmore and has had interest from schools such as Oregon, Stanford among others. UConn has showed interest, but from what I understand this kid is the biggest QB prospect to come out of CT in a long, long time. To go to UConn he is going to need a cast to rely on and UConn is having trouble doing that.

Connecticut obvisouly has trouble recruiting because of tradition, it's been a D-1 program for 10 years, before that they were playing in a stadium on campus that looked like it should  belong at your local small liberal arts private school.   In it's 10 years however it's played in and won several bowl games and now had an opportunity to play in the BCS Fiesta Bowl. That's not bad considering the history of their program. However, when you look at top recruits in no way are they going to want to go play for a team "that got blown out on national TV and shouldn't even have been there in the first place".

So with that in mind Connecticut has to build around it's own state. CT has great high school football and they do have talent but the talent leaves. Connecticut is like every other large public school in the nation, most kids from home don't like to stay there because everyone else goes there. They want to experience something new and I don't blame them. CT also has to recruit heavy from NJ. NJ also has great high scool football and it's a lot closer for some then say a Big Ten or Big 12 school.

UConn also has the donors and the fanbase to support the team. UConn has excellent state of the art, brand new facilliaties. The money was donated by a wealthy Greenwich businessman who attended UConn. The money in CT can go along way to support and sustain a great D1 program.

Also, you have to remember I think UConn would have been in a much better position if the New England Patriots mess didn't go down the way it did. Actually, we owe the NE Patriots credit for building UConn football. For those of you who don't know, Bob Kraft was inches away from moving the NE Patriots out of Foxboro, Massachusetts down to  East Hartford, Connecticut to what is now Rentschler Stadium. That sight/stadium was originally designed for the Patriots but Kraft was just bluffing for a new stadium to get built up in Massachusetts. With New England no longer moving, UConn had no choice but to take over.

Granted had that stadium not been built UConn still might be a small program, but it also may have led to UConn having a football stadium on campus which I think does a hell of alot more for recruiting. UConn has tons of land around it, so much so you would think you were in Iowa if you step foot there and didn't know anything else about the state. Perfect area to build a stadium.

Oh well.
Considering your one of the few UConn football or big east football fans here, just wondering what you think about the rumors of Mangini becoming the replacement for Edsall. 

everyone is selling rumor, him and Dooley are good frioends since HS BUT...

apparently there had been come conflicts earlier in the yr between Chuck & Wilcox

so I wouldnt kill the rumors til I hear Chuck say not true. right now only his ppl are sayin its not true

I'm about to ride out to the Orange Bowl I came up on a free ticket. My boy's girl's mom got 10 tickets for free it should be a great game. I haven't been to a college football game since McGahee was here minus one trip to FSU 2-3 years ago I can't wait to see Luck and Taylor go at it.

Oh well.
Considering your one of the few UConn football or big east football fans here, just wondering what you think about the rumors of Mangini becoming the replacement for Edsall. 

I haven't heard anything on Mangini coming to UConn, but let me tell you this, Mangini is a local guy. Born and raised in Hartford. If you anything about people from Connecticut, especially the cities they take a lot of pride in where they come from. 

I'm a big Jets fan and I liked what he did there, I think the fans and the organization expected alot more from him, but let's be honest thats New York. They expect championship every year even if they were to field a pop warner team against the rest of the NFL. He got the axe too quickly in my mind.

The Browns are the Browns, they showed some great signs this season and he had a good amount to do with those little bursts of success.

I like his coaching style and I can see him being very successful in college football and of course I love the idea of getting a home grown product.

Only if this were a few weeks earlier Steve Addazio from Florida would have been perfect for the UConn job. He had much success at Florida and if you know anything about him he is also a CT guy. Coached Cheshire High School for a long time when Cheshire was ranked in the top 25 nationally by USA Today year in year out. 

If Addazio were available I'd love to see what he could do with the program, I honestly think he would much rather have the UConn job over the Temple job. But since he's gone I wouldn't mind seeing Mangini come back to Connecticut. 

I haven't heard anything on Mangini coming to UConn, but let me tell you this, Mangini is a local guy. Born and raised in Hartford. If you anything about people from Connecticut, especially the cities they take a lot of pride in where they come from. 

I'm a big Jets fan and I liked what he did there, I think the fans and the organization expected alot more from him, but let's be honest thats New York. They expect championship every year even if they were to field a pop warner team against the rest of the NFL. He got the axe too quickly in my mind.

The Browns are the Browns, they showed some great signs this season and he had a good amount to do with those little bursts of success.

I like his coaching style and I can see him being very successful in college football and of course I love the idea of getting a home grown product.

Only if this were a few weeks earlier Steve Addazio from Florida would have been perfect for the UConn job. He had much success at Florida and if you know anything about him he is also a CT guy. Coached Cheshire High School for a long time when Cheshire was ranked in the top 25 nationally by USA Today year in year out. 

If Addazio were available I'd love to see what he could do with the program, I honestly think he would much rather have the UConn job over the Temple job. But since he's gone I wouldn't mind seeing Mangini come back to Connecticut. 

I have heard about Chesire and that State Title Streak that they did in the Early 90's I believe, I just wish they could of had Addazio, as a Offensive minded guy, he could breathe life into that dead offense they had in the last few games of the year. 
I think as long as Mangini wants the Job, its His, I would love to See Leach go to Storrs but with all the baggage he carries, it unrealistic. 

Can you enlighten me on Leech's baggage aside from the incident with the players at Tech? Is there anymore to the story? I've kind of forgotten about it, haha.

Also in terms of offense we know UConn was pitiful this season and in years past. Addazio seems like a coach who can build around what he has where Leech is spread offense to the max. With UConn's recruiting and it's lack of wide out options I don't think he would be able to do all that much for a long, long time, in Storrs atleast.  

Back
Top Bottom