Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

fugazi
laugh.gif

[h1]Pay cut for Lee wouldn't help Knicks' cap much[/h1]BY ALAN HAHN |[email protected] 10:53 PM EDT, July 16, 2009David Lee is willing to take a lower salary during the 2010-11 season to save the Knicks precious salary-capspace to make a run at high-end free agents next summer. But the issue for the Knicks is that based on Lee's overall asking price, even a slight reductionmight not make a difference in the critical bottom line.

Lee's agent, Mark Bartelstein, declined to comment on specifics about his discussions with Donnie Walsh, but he did acknowledge he has presented conceptsthat involve a backloaded contract that includes a lower salary in 2010-11.

The remainder of such a contract would have incremental increases. Although Bartelstein would not confirm it, the sticking point for the Knicks is believed tobe that Lee still would want to average about $10 million to $12 million over the length of the contract. That appears to be well out of the range of whatWalsh is willing to pay his popular restricted free agent. (The Knicks are owned by Cablevision, which also owns Newsday.)

Walsh this week said he has a salary number in mind for Lee, but "with David," he added, "it's always been higher up than I was." Walshand Bartelstein have kept up a dialogue and neither is ready to declare an impasse.

What could change things in a hurry is if the Trail Blazers now set their sights on Lee after the Jazz matches the four-year, $32-million offer sheet made torestricted free agent Paul Millsap. The Blazers could give that deal to Lee, though it averages $8 million, which is less than what Bartelstein sees asLee's comparable market value. The Knicks almost certainly would match.

The Millsap offer was craftily designed to impact the cost-conscious Jazz, with a reported $10.3-million upfront payment that includes a $5.6-million signingbonus and $4.7 million of his $6.3-million first-year salary. That's a lot of cash to pay out up front, which wouldn't be a problem for the Knicks. Butwhat is an issue is that bonuses do not count against the cap in the year they are paid; they are spread out over the life of a contract. That would makeLee's annual cap hit higher than his actual salary.

It is expected that the Jazz will explore all options to trade All-Star Carlos Boozer, who has one year and $12.6 million left on his contract. The Heat andBulls reportedly are the front-runners to acquire Boozer. Before Utah decided to match the Millsap offer, a source said it was presented with a scenarioinvolving a sign-and-trade with Lee for Boozer. That is not likely to happen with Millsap already in the fold.

Bartelstein wouldn't comment on any specific sign-and-trade opportunities he has discussed with teams but said "we're looking at a lot ofpossibilities."

The main goal for Lee, who yesterday worked a basketball camp in Sleepy Hollow, N.Y., without wearing a shred of Knicks gear, is to remain in New York. Thefeeling is mutual for the Knicks, but Bartelstein reiterated that Lee wouldn't play for his one-year qualifying offer of $2.7 million. Walsh also said hisintention is not to force Lee into taking his qualifying offer. Even if he did, Lee's "cap hold" for the 2010 payroll would be $8 million unlessthe Knicks renounce his Larry Bird rights.

Until he signs, Lee is taking every precaution, which includes sitting out the USA Basketball minicamp in Las Vegas next week.

[h1]SOURCE: NATE, LEE FEEL 'DISRESPECTED'[/h1]By MARC BERMAN

Restricted free agents David Lee and Nate Robinson have spoken to each other during the July free-agency period and feel "disrespected" by theKnicks' lack of urgency in retaining their services, according to a source.

Perhaps Donnie Walsh can do something about it as he bolted the Las Vegas summer league for New York yesterday to hone in on his next moves, with the CarlosBoozer sweepstakes, Tim Thomas' free-agency, the Andre Miller situation and Lee/Robinson on his agenda.

The Knicks would love to arrange a three-team deal for Boozer, who has one year left on his pact, with Lee a pawn. Utah plans to match Portland's offersheet for Paul Millsap, which would leave the Trail Blazers cap room to snag Lee in a three-team deal. Utah is bent on unloading Boozer's contract.

Agent Arn Tellem said yesterday he is talking to several teams about Tim Thomas, including the Knicks. The signing would make most sense if Lee is notretained.

Walsh's biggest regret last season was trading Thomas for Larry Hughes at the trading deadline and he could be had for the $1.9 million veteran'sminimum. Walsh is also exploring whether to offer Miller a one-year, $5.8 million mid-level offer.

As first reported by the Post, Lee's unresolved contract situation will keep him on the sideline during next week's USA Basketball minicamp in LasVegas. Lee will travel to Las Vegas but will not take part in competition.

Lee is NOT getting 10-12 mil in this economic climate for any team, what the hell doesn't his agent understand about that?

Here's the thing that Nate has to understand.

Players his size are a dime a dozen.

Earl Boykins couldn't even sniff the League last year and he was actually a solid pro.

Players like Nate and Earl are expendable. And Nate's gotta recognize that.

Originally Posted by DubA169

Lee is NOT getting 10-12 mil in this economic climate for any team, what the hell doesn't his agent understand about that?

his name is bartelstein...the rest is easy to figure out

Originally Posted by TypeRPinoY

Not really getting that unless you were getting at the fact that his agent was Jewish

roll.gif
roll.gif
sick.gif

someone qu the "Thats Racist" pic
laugh.gif

Clearly u were ultra butthurt by my statement. Why so serious? It's rainy and Friday.
Was dude the rabbi at ur briss or bar mitzvah or something?
You asked a question and I replied with what I thought.
You really have to try harder to offend me with that pic. It's actually pretty sad and reminds me that I need to send money.

Upon further inspection, the title of that pic has "Jakarta" in it. Now go pick up a map and realize that jakarta is the capital of Indonesia
please try again

Clearly u were ultra butthurt by my statement. Why so serious? It's rainy and Friday.
Was dude the rabbi at ur briss or bar mitzvah or something?
You asked a question and I replied with what I thought.
You really have to try harder to offend me with that pic. It's actually pretty sad and reminds me that I need to send money.
Not butt hurt at all, just throwing some some love your way. Trust I'm used to Jewish jokes, just think the one you made was kind of lame.

And my best friend is Filipino so it's all love. Couldn't even imagine what it would be like to have to live in such poverty
smh.gif

yeah I just flipped on msg and 30 seconds later almond just yammed it. that was nasty. Any info on him?

yeah I just flipped on msg and 30 seconds later almond just yammed it. that was nasty. Any info on him?
he'll probably be this year's roberson..just better

Back
Top Bottom