Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

Donnie during the game said he wants to keep nate and lee but for a price . . i don't know what that price is . . but if that doesn't work out whoknows what will happen.

do you think he meant a cheap price? What other price would he be talking about? I didn;t catch the game did cheeseburger eddy bring his sneakers?

nate should stay in the League, dude just averaged 17-18 points a game, won the slam dunk contest, but to turn down 5 mill a year non tax, plus they pay foryour house/car/food/agent fees/ would be a tough situation, dont really see a team hurryin to pick up him , but he brings heart to this knick team

Originally Posted by BangDak

douglas is way better then stuckey. stuckey will never be more then a bench player forced to be a starter, while douglas can turn out to be an great role player.
i hope your not saying that because of his summer league play, most of these players cant sniff the league,, about 2-4 players on each team is annba player

[h1]Greek team Olympiakos interested in Knicks David Lee, Nate Robinson[/h1]

BY Frank Isola
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Thursday, July 16th 2009, 4:00 AM

alg_knicks.jpg
Sipkin/News
David Lee could be flying across the pond if the Olympiakos make him an offer he can't refuse.

Maybe Olympiakos should be changing its name to the Greece Knicks.

The Greek club is not only pursuing Knicks guard Nate Robinson, but according to a source, it has also contacted his teammate, forward David Lee. It is unclear if Lee has received an offer or if he has interest in playing overseas. Lee's agent, Mark Bartelstein, would not confirm whether he had spoken to Olympiakos but Bartelstein said last night that he is confident that his client will play in the NBA next season.

"I've had a lot of dealings with Olympiakos over the years," said Bartelstein, whose client, Jannero Pargo, played for the Greek team last year. "I'll never say never, but that's not where we're looking right now."

Bartelstein is still hopeful he can work out a deal for Lee, either with the Knicks or with another team through a sign-and-trade. Lee is looking for a deal that will pay him at least $10million annually. Bartelstein believes that is a fair asking price for a player who led the league in double-doubles.

Luol Deng of the Bulls and Andrew Bogut of the Bucks both have contracts that pay them $12 million annually. Toronto's Andrea Bargnani recently signed a contract that averages $10 million per season. For Lee to even consider leaving for Europe, he would have to get a contract that would pay him $10 million to $12 million annually.

Robinson, however, would seriously consider such a move since the reported two-year, $10 million offer he has received from Olympiakos is believed to be more lucrative than what he would get from an NBA team.

Robinson has the option to sign the Knicks' one-year, $2.9 million qualifying offer. Lee's one-year qualifying offer is for $2.7 million. If the Knicks were to lose one or both of their restricted free agents to a European club, it wouldn't be a total loss since the Knicks would still own their rights if they decided to return to the NBA.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh has made it clear that he wants to re-sign both players. If Robinson or Lee receives a contract offer from an NBA team, the Knicks would have seven days to match. But with few teams willing to spend money and even fewer under the salary cap, Robinson and Lee have yet to cash in on the free agent market.

Plus, with the Knicks committed to the 2010 free-agent market, it would benefit the club to get its two restricted free agents to sign one-year contracts.

When asked about Robinson yesterday, Walsh said the Knicks "have no way of knowing" if he has received an offer from Olympiakos and added that "there's nothing we can do about it" if he did.

"The rules are different over there," Walsh said.

There's also no way of knowing if Robinson and Lee are using Olympiakos to put pressure on the Knicks to get deals done. Olympiakos did entice Atlanta's restricted free agent, Josh Childress, to sign with the club last year.

Walsh, however, is still holding all the chips because the Knicks own the rights to both players. Plus, since Lee and Robinson entered the NBA in 2005, the Knicks haven't won more than 33 games in a season. That's another reason why Walsh has been reluctant to make an offer to Lee that approaches $10 million annually.

I wouldn't be too sad if Nate leaves. That KryptoNate stuff, and his overall act got tired real quick. This dude actually though it was him versus KobeBryant and Dwyane Wade, when the Knicks played the Lakers and Heat.

i think the knicks wouldnt be opposed to let them play in greece next season , and still retain there rights, but i dont care what anyone says playing in thenba is the ultimate , but the money for there future might be too good to pass up

Originally Posted by mrtramericanjr

i think the knicks wouldnt be opposed to let them play in greece next season , and still retain there rights, but i dont care what anyone says playing in the nba is the ultimate , but the money for there future might be too good to pass up

Not according to Josh Childress.

Originally Posted by Fede DPT

i think the knicks wouldnt be opposed to let them play in greece next season , and still retain there rights, but i dont care what anyone says playing in the nba is the ultimate , but the money for there future might be too good to pass up

Not according to Josh Childress.
nate and lee are bigger stars than childress

his decision was based on getting paid more, and that no team really wanted him for the money he thought he should get, imagine an arena football teamoffering more money to a player, he wouldnt play for them, same as in baseball if arod was getting 300 mill from a japanesse team he wouldnt take it

[h1]TIM THOMAS COULD JOIN KNICKS FOR 3RD TIME[/h1]By MARC BERMAN

LAS VEGAS -- A third Knicks' stint for Tim Thomas? It couldhappen.

Team president Donnie Walsh is investigating the possibility ofsigning the 6-foot-10 Thomas, likely for the veteran's minimum ($1.9 million), after he was released yesterday by the Bulls.

"We have interest," Walsh told The Post. "I'm looking into it. He played well for us [last year]. He's a pro."

In fact, after watching yesterday's second straight summer-league loss, a horrible 96-73 defeat to the Pistons, Walsh is bolting Las Vegas today withtoo much on his plate, including the Carlos Boozer and Andre Millersweepstakes. Walsh said he will not be able to get enough done in Vegas and wants to be in his Manhattan offices.

Thomas, from northern Jersey, was obtained last November in the Zach Randolph deal and averaged nine points on 46 percent shooting in 21 minutes. At thetrade deadline, Walsh shipped Thomas to Chicago for Larry Hughes and regretted it, as Thomas was missed on both ends. After seeing the rawness of first-roundpick Jordan Hill, Thomas may have become more appealing.

Walsh said he still is trying to be a player in the Boozer sweepstakes -- with the inclusion of David Lee in a sign-and-trade a key to any deal. Walsh realizes a problem is Lee being a base-compensation player, which complicates anysign-and-trade deal with Utah.

According to a league source, New York is one of Boozer's preferred destinations. Utah is trying to save money and offering up Cuttino Mobley'sexpiring contract with insurance covering a portion of it is a possibility.

Walsh also appears close to making Sixers point guard Andre Miller a formal offer for the one-year, $5.8 million midlevel exception, feeling there is achance of stealing him. The Sixers will not offer Miller more than a one-year deal.

Miller will be 34 next season and the Sixers are going with youth. A Sixers source said Philadelphia general manager Ed Stefanski is talking to severalteams about sign-and-trades but has yet to hear from the Knicks. The source said it is doubtful the Sixers and Knicks could reach a sign-and-trade deal. Milleris not the player he once was, doesn't play high-tempo, but is an upgrade over Chris Duhon.

More than two weeks into July's free agency, Walsh hasn't signed anyone or retained his own two free agents, Lee and Nate Robinson. Lee had been seeking more than $10 million a year, but that'sabove current market value. Agent Mark Bartelstein has talked to the Jazz about Lee, but the miserly ownership may not want to go as high as $10 millioneither.

The gap between the Knicks and Lee appears significant. Earlier this week, Walsh said if he couldn't get a deal done with Lee or Robinson by week'send, he never will.

But Walsh said he's not pulling any offers off the table.

"I'm not at that point," Walsh said. "Not yet. At some point if we can't get it done, where do we go?"

Walsh did not sound too displeased if Robinson took off to Greece for a season because the Knicks retain his rights. Agent Eric Goodwin said Robinson has achance to play for Olympiakos with a salary believed to be $5 million per season.

"Players can always go to Europe if they want to," Walsh said. "If they want to come back to the NBA, they can come back to the team withtheir rights. I have not been encouraging it. If he goes, it's his preference."

The Knicks seem suspicious at the figure because Goodwin has not mentioned the Greek offer to Walsh in negotiations.

The Knicks fell to 0-2 as their defense and shooting stunk. Hill shot the ball better from the outside (6 of 14, 14 points, five rebounds) but defensivelylooked lost. Rookie DaJuan Summers scored 26.

Point guard Toney Douglas racked up 10 assists but shot just 1 of 6 for five points. Douglas is 3 of 19 in two games. Morris Almond scored 11 (4 of 11) asthe team shot 33 percent.

"Defensively we weren't on our A game," Hill said. "I definitely shot the ball better. First game I had to get it all out."

thomas did well in our system. ill def. enjoy him back again.
my put on nate/lee going overseas: lee most likely will go, since he wants big bucks, and they have an record of overpaying over there. nate loves it here, andi think he wants to stay. hell, ill give him 4mil and call it a night, and hope he accepts. if not, i guess he can take that 5mil overseas and come back oncethat contract ends.

TT
roll.gif
, my dude was doin beast under Dantoni. He would be another shooter that we need. He also unlike Harrington is a willing passer and would pass to awide open Rooster lol. Who remembers that game he had vs Portland? Him and nate were beasting from downtown that game

I just saw the title and it reminded me of the outro on 50 Cent's War Angel LP. Like how is 50 gonna name all these big time NBA players and then say TimThomas
laugh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by JohnnyRedStorm

I just saw the title and it reminded me of the outro on 50 Cent's War Angel LP. Like how is 50 gonna name all these big time NBA players and then say Tim Thomas
laugh.gif
smh.gif
laugh.gif
roll.gif

Nate would be the best player to probably EVER play in Europe if he went to Olympiakos. i mean dude was averaging 19 a game at a point in the NBA, and therewas that strectch around the all-star break where he was playing like one of the best in the NBA straight up. BEASTING it night in and night out 30-40 pints 5+boards and assists.
sick.gif

If a player like that, one that good and with that kind of marketability that Nate has went to Europe. That would be a HUGE deal in terms of stars possiblysigning with European teams for more $... Im still hoping we find a way to retain him though.

6ac25e6ed4a39c601ce580e91f9e81542248e5f.jpg

If he did all THAT in the NBA even only for like a month and averaged 17 a season like he did he would absolutely BEAST in Europe.
sick.gif

Fugazi... I like the sound of that for the vets minimum... he really grew on me solid role player for this system
pimp.gif

I think we need a quality vet or two - this team has no leader.

Boozer ain't it, but dre sure would be.

If we can swap duhon and a piece for miller, we'd be straaaight.

And at the end of the day, I think dlee is staying put, he gonna realize how dry the market is, tell his agent to ##*# n ****, and take 8.

the european game is differnt

teams score about 70-80 points a game in europe,,, trust his stats wont be that great
aint nobody in Europe would be able to keep up with Nate on D. Sure the game is a bit different, but he would dominate

Originally Posted by BangDak

thomas did well in our system. ill def. enjoy him back again.
my put on nate/lee going overseas: lee most likely will go, since he wants big bucks, and they have an record of overpaying over there. nate loves it here, and i think he wants to stay. hell, ill give him 4mil and call it a night, and hope he accepts. if not, i guess he can take that 5mil overseas and come back once that contract ends.
i think you have it completely backwards. nate is much more likely to bolt to greece than lee and it's not even close

Back
Top Bottom