Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

its not even about the little money the cavs could offer lebron taht we can't. He would make triple that in a couple days with new advertisements.

It's more about capspace for other star talent. the cavs just really hurt themselves. it depends what we do with david lee though...

About how much money cwould we have left to spend on other players if we sign two players max contracts? Does Bosh deserve the max?

6 year $50 mil contract for AV?it boggles the mind...

i wonder how some GM's end up at their jobs,ferry and the grizz GM needs to be stoned to death by their fans.what a bunch of lames.

Does Bosh deserve the max?
I'm beginning to believe that the only 2010 FA that deserve the MAX are Bron and Wade. Both have been beasts and amongst the best players inthe entire NBA and have led their teams to success. IMO Bosh hasnt dont anything THAT good to earn him a max deal. A hefty contract no dobt but idk about themax that could turn out to be a mistake... same #%%+ for Amare especially cause that dude dont play a lick of D
smh.gif

Originally Posted by THE GR8

Does Bosh deserve the max?
I'm beginning to believe that the only 2010 FA that deserve the MAX are Bron and Wade. Both have been beasts and amongst the best players in the entire NBA and have led their teams to success. IMO Bosh hasnt dont anything THAT good to earn him a max deal. A hefty contract no dobt but idk about the max that could turn out to be a mistake... same #%%+ for Amare especially cause that dude dont play a lick of D
smh.gif

I think Bosh will beast this season to prove his worth. If he plays as he did last season, then yeah, no max contract but you know how guys playduring contract years. As far as Amar'e, HELLLLL NOOOO. I think he's the next 'poison' player. He complains enough as it is now, I don'twant him in a Knicks uni.

[h3]The 2010 Outlook[/h3]
lebron-james-0709-99.jpg

AP Photo

This is going to be a topic of conversation for another 365 days so let's get the facts straight here and use this as a foundation of all future discussions involving the Knicks salary cap situation for next summer.

[Bloghost note: A lot of these numbers are ballpark and I'm re-checking all aspects of the CBA to make sure we're excruciatingly accurate. I'll make corrections as they are discovered, so bear with me Already made a few tweaks that improves the picture a little].

The current contracts on the payroll for 2010-11:
Eddy Curry $11.2M
Jared Jeffries $6.8M
Danilo Gallinari $3.3M
Wilson Chandler $2.1M
Jordan Hill $2.2M
Toney Douglas $892,500K
Total: $26.4M

With only six players under contract, and no first round pick (Utah has the rights to it) that leaves five "cap hold" slots (one left empty for the player you're trying to sign) at $473,604 each and brings the total to $28.7M. Now, keep in mind, that is just in the current condition as we blog today. If the Knicks add any players -- such as Grant Hill, or sign David Lee to an extension -- the numbers obviously change. But we're working off the current state of the payroll right now. We'll use this as our base as the situation changes.

Also keep in mind that the Knicks would have to renounce the Bird Rights rights to the unrestricted free agents who expire after this coming season (Chris Duhon, Al Harrington, Darko Milicic, etc.) to clear their cap hold from the cap. I Lee and Robinson take their QOs this season and the Knicks retain ther Bird Rights, their "holds" would be ($8.7M for Nate, $8.1M for Lee - the CBA calls for three times the players previous salary if it is less than the league average). That's a big chunk, unless their rights are renounced, as well.

Now, if the early prognostications are accurate, the NBA salary cap could be as low as $50M in 2010-11. Let's use that as our doomsday formula here. Keep in mind the projections could be wrong and the cap number could be higher, which would change everything. But if we believe the doomsday prophecies, that would leave -- not counting Lee, Robinson or any other UFA's holds and Bird Rights -- just $21.3M in cap space for the Knicks to spend in free agency in the big summer of 2010. If you add just Lee, we're talking significantly less money to spend in free agency under the cap. Perhaps not even enough to offer a max contract to LeBron James.

Sounds devastating, I know. Before the economic downfall, the Knicks' original plan was to clear enough space to land TWO high-end free agents in 2010. But in the current state, and without retaining the rights to Lee, they may only have enough space to get one big time free agent and possibly add lesser-scale FA in the $6M range.

OK, then consider this:

The CBA gives power to the "home" team for free agents. They have the ability to sign their own player to a maximum of six years with 10.5 percent raises each year. All other teams can only go five years at length and 8 percent.

In LeBron's case -- and that of Dwyane Wade, Chris Bosh, Joe Johson, Amare Stoudemire, et al -- the plummeting NBA salary cap could actually result in taking a loss in the first season. Consider that LeBron's option year of 2010-11 pays him $17.1M. If he opts out and the cap drops to $50M, the max LeBron would make in 2010-11, the first year of any new deal with any team, including Cleveland, is $15M.

The Cavs can go six years at 10.5 percent raises, which would make their maximum deal total about $116.5M, with an average of roughly $19.4M per.

A team such as the Knicks can only do five years, with 8 percent raises, which would make their maximum offer total about $88M, and an average of $17.6M per. Now the Knicks could be creative and perhaps give LeBron an opt-out after the third year (2013), when he will be 28 years old and still very much in his prime. The NBA has to certainly hope they have, by then, to have a new CBA in place and, God willing, the economy could be in a recovery, which would send the salary cap limits upward. The Knicks would have James' Bird Rights and then could open the Cablevision vault.

Those are big ifs, of course.

But there are big ifs in Cleveland, too. Such as, how long can Dan Gilbert sustain such a high payroll while getting middle-market revenue? Can Danny Ferry continue to build a high-caliber team around James while also paying him a max salary? Will high-end free agents want to go to Cleveland to play second-fiddle in salary and in touches?

With New Yok comes so many other variables and other potential sweeteners, such as the impact that choosing New York would have on the new deal LeBron inks with Nike, which, coincidentally, also expires in 2010. If LeBron goes to New York, there's little doubt his marketing value skyrockets to even greater heights than it has already. Nike has never had a basketball megastar in New York. They already have Kobe Bryant in L.A.

OK, here goes the cold water again.

If LeBron signs an extension this summer (July 18th is the date he can) with the Cavs, with the salary cap set at $57.7M, by the max contract formula (30 percent) he would get $17.3M in the first year (slightly more than the option year on the current deal) and the total package to stay in Cleveland would bring him a six-year deal worth about $134.9M, with $22.4M per annum.

Biiiiiig difference.

So is it worth it to him to potentially leave $2.1M on the table to step into free agency one year before his deal officially expires? Or, considering the economic climate, does LeBron go for the money up front and perhaps work in an early termintion option midway through the deal to give himself some flexibility?

This is something all of the opt-out FAs in 2010 will need to consider. And it could result in the Knicks' rebuilding plan taking a little more time than originally thought. Of course the Knicks could always change the course and pursue high-end players via trades and sign-and-trade deals next summer. While every team in the NBA will feel the hit caused by the economy, the Knicks are one of the few teams that will maintain the resources to carry big contracts and willingly pay out luxury tax.

OK, Fixers, so there you have it. The situation in a nutshell, from as best as I can explain it after research, number crunching and some guidance from CBA expert Larry $#@#. (Please feel free to correct any arithmatic or factual errors that might have slipped by me here at 1:35 am.)

Again, this situation is expected to change over the course of the next 11 months. The Knicks could find a way to move the Curry or Jeffries contracts for expiring deals to clear more cap space in 2010, but, as we detailed above, the limitations on what they can offer LeBron as compared to the Cavs this summer make his decision in 2009 very curious.

If LeBron chooses not to sign an extension this summer to give up free agency in 2010, it's an obvious sign that his decision is clearly not about salary.

so if lebron doesn't sign an extension this summer with the cavs that would strongly suggest that he is coming to nyc? That is a hefty sum to leave on thetable.

cap going down 10 mil next year but one million this year still irks the crap out of me...

I still think the Knicks find a way to financially compensate 'bron.

Question, I have no clue about this so if someone could inform me, does the NBA have 'signing bonuses' like the NFL?

Originally Posted by viiheaven

I still think the Knicks find a way to financially compensate 'bron.

Question, I have no clue about this so if someone could inform me, does the NBA have 'signing bonuses' like the NFL?

No, but we have the Yankees.

Originally Posted by Supafly122

So can the Cavs still offer Bron more $ than we can now??

& if Iverson is serious about accepting a one-year, $5 million offer from Memphis, should we make an offer?

The difference between him going to Memphis for 1yr/5mil is that Memphis is under the cap. If NY gave him 1yr/5mil then they would basically be paying doublesince they're in the luxury tax. That's why Miami is only willing to offer him like 2mil instead of 5 because the amount will be doubled.

as long as we dont sign anyone this summer we are in good shape for next summer... but if we trade curry and/or jeffries that would be even better...

The cap is not guaranteed to go down 10 mill in the 2010-11 season it is being discussed. No way does the players association allow this to happen.. I couldsee it going down another 2 mill in 2010 but I highly doubt it will be 10 mill

Originally Posted by whyte1der05five

Originally Posted by Woodside718

I wouldn't take AI to the Knicks for free

Agreed.

This cap really *!@%+% up everything.

2a91y7t.jpg
thats the dumbest $$$!+@% picture ive ever seen. $tern would give his left nut to see Lebron in NY, just like he wanted Ewing in NY in 1985.

And great artice prophecy. We NEEEEEEED to find ANY way to get ridof Curry before the next offseason. We need to replace his $11 mil which is the biggest salary hit for us and replace it for Lee's $8 mil so Lee doesntreally hurt us or if we dont get Lee thats just $11 mil gone and we will probably use to resign a few players next summer/sign other Free Agents as well.Jeffries needs to get the stepping as well. Honestly getting rid of those dudes HAS to be #1 on donnie's list for this upcoming offseason/season because itwill be VERY tought to have enough space to offer a max contract with the lowered salary with EC eating up roster space (no pun intended
laugh.gif
)

but its not all bad. With the lowered cap # we may be one of the only teams outside of Cleveland able to throw a max contract Lebron's way. If we get riddof Curry/Jeffries

And VIIHeaven, its time to change that avy cause there aint a chance in hell we will be able to sign Bron/Bosh/Wade. We can have 0 salary next summer and STILLnot be able to sign them all.
laugh.gif

EDIT:
In an interview on the "Dan Patrick Show," Kidd said he thinks the Knicks will sign Hill, who is mulling the Knicks' twin offers, one-year, $5 million and 3 years, $10 million.
sick.gif
indifferent.gif
at both of those, and my reaction for the 3 year one to a 37 year old whohas played like hes 35 since hes been 30...

indifferent.gif

[h1]Kidd says Hill will sign with Knicks[/h1]
By MARC BERMAN

http://shots.snap.com/explore/99791...idd&src=&cp=&asp=Jason Kidd&dfs=10&tol=engage
Jason Kidd says he believes Grant Hill will sign with the Knicks this July but doubts LeBron James is coming to New York next July.

In an interview on the "Dan Patrick Show," Kidd said he thinks the Knicks will sign Hill, who is mulling the Knicks' twin offers, one-year, $5million and 3 years, $10 million.

The Suns have tried to retain Hill for one year at $2 million.

"I think so,'' Kidd said of Hill leaving for New York. "I think that would be a good fit. He played for Coach (D'ANtoni). They'll goout and run and have the Garden jumping.''

Kidd claimed James' status wasn't a factor in his decision to spurn the Knicks for a return to Dallas, and said he didn't feel James would be leaving Cleveland. Kidd was James' teammate on the gold-medal-winning U.S. Olympic team last summer.

"My decision had nothing to do with LeBron, if I was going to go to New York,'' Kidd said. "Because you just don't know. You see the market, salaries coming down, next year coming down farther.''

Asked if James will stay in Cleveland, Kidd said, "I would say yes right now. He'll stay in Cleveland.''

But Kidd added, "The Garden would be a great match, the Garden and LeBron, the excitement he would bring, like being in Chicago for Michael (Jordan).''

Kidd's remarks came two days after it was reported James told Trevor Ariza, while being wooed by the Cavs, he was definitely staying in Cleveland past 2010. James' reps denied the conversation. James can sign a contract extension with Cleveland July 18.

Kidd sounded incredulous when asked if he thought minority owner Jay-Z could sway James to his former club, New Jersey Nets .

"LeBron? To play in Jersey?'' Kidd said, his voice rising. Kidd added he didn't know if the Nets would make it to Brooklyn.

Asked if he didn't sign with the Knicks because of their losing status, Kidd said, "Donnie Walsh and Coach D'Antoni will have that team competitive. I want to win. Nobody talks about it, the streak they have, winning 50 games for the last nine seasons, It's a great challenge.

"To have the opportunity to play in New York, in the sense the Garden, I was very close. New York did everything right in the sense of the 3-year contract but (Mark) Cuban and the Mavs stepped up. I think we're pretty close to competing with the Lakers, so I thought it was best for me to stay.''

why are we going after grant hill so bad when we need to clear cap? a 3 year deal why?

Back
Top Bottom