Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

Originally Posted by xblker47

Sources: LeBron denies Ariza's story
Comment Email Print Share
By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
Archive
LeBron James did not tell Trevor Ariza he would stay in Cleveland past 2010, according to sources close to the Cavaliers' superstar -- contradicting what a person close to Ariza said Monday night.

That source said that James told Ariza he planned to remain with the Cavaliers past next summer, when he can become a free agent. James could not be reached for comment Monday night, but on Tuesday, sources who spoke to James said the story told by the person close to Ariza was wrong.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Big J 33

[h1]Knicks Make An Offer To Hill[/h1]

[h3]
[/h3]

Jul 07, 2009 4:06 PM EST

Hill_Grant_phx.jpg
The Knicks spent nearly all day and night with Grant Hill on Monday, ending it with a contract offer.

The New York Post is reporting that the offer is for one-year and is worth a portion of the club's mid-level exception.

"We think we have a chance, but you never know," a team source said of landing the free-agent forward.

Hill has been linked to the Suns and Celtics as well.

"You want to have players who've had a lot of success before so they can show the other players how to do it," Knicks president Donnie Walsh told The Post. "That's the kind of player we want to bring in."
I'm all for veteran leadership helping out our younger guys, but he's just going to take minutes from Gallinari and Chandler.

QFT to all of that as well as using part of our MLE that should be spent to wayy better use at a position of need. I mean giving Hill a portion ofour MLE may get in the way of signing a guy like Sessions or any PG to the full MLE. Im just not understanding this desire for Hill.

Yeah good point with the MLE, this team needs players who will contribute to the future of the franchise, not one year vets.

[h1]Knicks Could Get PG In Sign-And-Trade For Lee[/h1]
Jul 07, 2009 4:23 PM EST

Lee_David_nyk.jpg
The Knicks could look to get a pointguard out of a sign-and-trade for forward David Lee.

Lee is a restricted free agent and only the Trail Blazers can afford to sign him outright. However, Portland doesn't appear willing to give him $10million to serve as LaMarcus Aldridge's backup.

The Blazers also believe that the Knicks would match a lower offer.

Portland is interested in a sign-and-trade and has discussed scenarios with agent Mark Bartelstein. The proposed deals have included Steve Blake and TravisOutlaw.

[h1]Mo Says LeBron Has Told Teammates He's Staying[/h1]
Jul 07, 2009 4:24 PM EST

James_LeBron_cle.jpg
In response to an ESPN story, laterdenied by sources close to LeBron James, that James told free-agent Trevor Ariza that he was committed to the Cavs past 2010, Mo Williams revealed that Jameshas been offering similar assurances to his Cavs' teammates.

"espn says lebron told ariza that hes here to stay in cleveland past 2010 its about time, hes been telling the team this for the longest!"Williams wrote on his Twitter page. "now yall know, its out in the air finally ok!"

And this has something to do with us...

Originally Posted by Al3xis

I like getting Hill.

I'd say another domino will fall if we do
I dont like it. And i HATE it if its more than one year. Than not only will we waste away the MLE on a 37 year old, who will take minutes fromguys who are considered our future at the one position i would say we absolutely do not need, but he will also be part of our 2010 salary.
smh.gif

Originally Posted by StylishStef89

He isn't the only free agent that could help turn this squad around. I'd actually like to see this team make that big improvement without LeBron in all honesty.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Seeing him get babied by refs and pitch hissy fits in these Playoffs made me sort of hate him. It's notfun for me to watch a superstar that gets to do whatever he wants on the court. I know he's the best player in the NBA right now, but $%$$ him. LeBronJames really isn't what the Knicks are all about. A free agent frenzy of buying overpaid babies is pretty much the antithesis of my '99 Knicks. I knowyou're all going to disagree with me, but I won't be that sad to see LeBron rot in Ohio.

on pti they just talked about the possibility of wade and Lebron meeting up on the same team in 2010
laugh.gif

nerd.gif
possible both these guys in a NY uniform for the 2010-2011season
nerd.gif

I wanna see Nate Boogie on the Lakers... That would be Hot. He tossing alleys to Kobe, Bynum, Gasol, Odom!!! Dang!! Do it L.A!

Get Nate Boogie!!

Originally Posted by NYelectric

Originally Posted by StylishStef89

He isn't the only free agent that could help turn this squad around. I'd actually like to see this team make that big improvement without LeBron in all honesty.
Yeah, I'm thinking the same thing. Seeing him get babied by refs and pitch hissy fits in these Playoffs made me sort of hate him. It's not fun for me to watch a superstar that gets to do whatever he wants on the court. I know he's the best player in the NBA right now, but $%$$ him. LeBron James really isn't what the Knicks are all about. A free agent frenzy of buying overpaid babies is pretty much the antithesis of my '99 Knicks. I know you're all going to disagree with me, but I won't be that sad to see LeBron rot in Ohio.
you need a superstar to win championships in this league. 99 was a fluke. An awesome, incredible, amazing fluke.

what team in the last ten years won without a superstar? only the Detroit pistons ONCE. We need bron or wade, period. It's just funny to me that if lebronended up on any other team besides his hometown team then it would be guaranteed that his lust for nyc wuld bring him over. He wants to be able to go back tohis hometown though so I kinda can't blame him if he stays in that ****hole.

A free agent frenzy of buying overpaid babies is pretty much the antithesis of my '99 Knicks.
I agree with you on your point about Lebron, but nowadays its different. I dont want these babies anymore than you and i dont personally likeLebron one bit, but he will be the best player in the world for many years to come and you need superstars to win, but the only difference is nowadays allsuperstars are %$%%#@@ babies. So it is kind of bittersweet because all thse top FAs (Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Amare, etc.) ALL have some very soft/babyishqualities imo but at the end of the day if we copped a Lebron the pros GREATLY outweight all of that +$#%. This is not 1995, as much as i hate to say it wecant win in that same fashion we HAVE to adapt to todays game and that is EXACTLY why Walsh brought in D'Antoni although he didnt seem to fit the kind ofplayers we had at the time. Walsh knew exactly what he was doing he got D'Antoni to fit not the players he had but the players he was trying to get. Butyou ALWAYS have had to get cap room and sign Free Agents to win championships, i mean how do you think we got Allan Houston and Chris Childs that summer? Andthey were both vitale parts of that 99 run.

[h1]Knicks Look to Hill for Stability[/h1]

By HOWARD BECK

Published: July 8, 2009

Jason Kidd said no, Grant Hill said maybe, and David Lee and Nate Robinson said thanks, but we'll get back to you. Seven days into July, the Knicks are waiting for answers and searching for roster clarity.
http://
Perhaps a dozen players could sign contracts Wednesday, following the midnight expiration of the N.B.A.'s annual moratorium. Ron Artest will be moving from Houston to Los Angeles (and the Lakers), Ben Gordon from Chicago to Detroit and Rasheed Wallace from Detroit to Boston. Mike Bibby will re-sign with Atlanta, and Zach Randolph will land in Memphis in a trade.

And Kidd is staying in Dallas, despite a brief flirtation with the Knicks, who remain determined to import a steady leader.

Hill, 36, now represents their best hope. He was courted at length Monday by Donnie Walsh, the team president, and Coach Mike D'Antoni, and apparently left town feeling intrigued.

"I think we tried to impress him and to show him what we had," Walsh said. "I think we accomplished that."

Hill, who spent the last two seasons in Phoenix, is also considering invitations from the Suns and the Celtics. The Knicks and the Suns can offer the most money and a full-time starting job. Boston can offer the best shot at a title but only a spot as a backup to Paul Pierce and Ray Allen, which could prove to be a deal-breaker.

Hill has a comfort level with the Suns' roster and with Coach Alvin Gentry. But he also grew close to D'Antoni during their one season together in Phoenix. No other teams are believed to be in the hunt, and Hill could make a decision by the end of the week.

It could take much longer to determine the fates of Lee and Robinson. They are restricted free agents, making them a gamble for rival teams.Lee's asking price may also be a big obstacle. His agent, Mark Bartelstein, is seeking $12 million per season, according to an executive whose team is pursuing Lee.

Given the depressed market, that figure may be out of reach. The three teams that still have substantial cap space - Memphis, Portland and Oklahoma City - are not believed to be pursuing Lee. Most other teams have only the midlevel exception, or $5.85 million, to spend. The Knicks have not made a formal offer but are hoping to keep Lee for about $7 million to $8 million per season.

Bartelstein would not comment on his asking price, saying, "So many people are throwing so much stuff out there, it's not something I would ever talk about publicly."

But Bartelstein made a strong argument that Lee is a unique and valuable player. He led the league in double-doubles last season, his fourth in the N.B.A., averaging 16 points and 11.7 rebounds, and shot 54.9 percent from the field. He is just 26 and still improving as a shooter and passer.

But at 6 feet 9 inches, Lee is also undersized for a power forward and center, and he does not block many shots or provide stiff interior defense. He scores in bunches, but he cannot create his own shot. Lee could make an All-Star team but he is not viewed as a franchise player, which is why the Knicks want to keep his salary in the single-digit millions.

It will take a major offer by a rival team to force the Knicks' hand, but most franchises are spending conservatively, in deference to the recession. Teams are also wary of Lee's restricted free-agent status, which allows the Knicks to match any offer within seven days. During that period, the team that signed Lee would have its salary cap space tied up.

Bartelstein sounded frustrated at the lack of a deal.

"It's a shame David's not done yet," Bartelstein said. "The Knicks have the ability to get him signed. The other teams don't, because they don't know if the Knicks will match or not, or go through a sign-and-trade."

Bartelstein said he was "working through a number of different scenarios," but he would not say how long it might take to get Lee signed. He could try to arrange a sign-and-trade deal, but the Knicks would probably balk unless they got a high-level player in return.

The market appears to favor the Knicks, but Walsh disagreed.

"Because a team can make a trade that impacts their cap, and they could get room," he said. "I don't think it's over till it's over. And I don't think the players do either."

Walsh is also balancing Lee's value against his primary goal of preserving cap space for 2010, when the Knicks hope to pursue LeBron James and Dwyane Wade.

Signing Hill, a widely respected former All-Star, could help stabilize the Knicks' lineup and make them more attractive to young superstars. Hill is still a solid defender, scorer and playmaker who can play at small forward, shooting guard and, in a pinch, at point guard.

"He's the kind of guy we want," Walsh said.

It is unclear where the Knicks will turn if Hill declines their offer. There are several intriguing players still on the market, but perhaps only a few who would - like Kidd or Hill - prompt the Knicks to make a heavy investment that could affect their plans for next year.

"This is just the beginning of the summer," Walsh said. "I'm trying to do this in a way that protects next summer, but I'm trying to make it better now at the same time."

This whole David Lee contract situation is like a bad Entourage episode.

$12 Mill???

Who does Lee think he is, mothaf___ing AQUAMAN???

with cap room dropping, no way in hell he gets that 12mil.
and duba, i mean, i just want an improvement without lebron. can you imagine all those haters saying we wouldnt be anywhere without lebron, kind of like whatsome of us (yes me included
laugh.gif
) are doing to the cavs?
i want us to prove that we're an good team, and that we DESERVE other team's respect, and that we can make an good run at the playoffs just to provethat.

Let's say we sign two FA for max contracts, how much money do we have left available for other players? I'm not good with how the cap works

Back
Top Bottom