Go to the official '09-'10 New York Knicks season thread, this thread will be locked soon

Hill & Ewing go way back
July 6, 2009

Grant Hill nearly became a Knick nine years ago but he turned down a sign-and-trade with New York because it would have meant one of his childhood idols,Patrick Ewing, being traded to Detroit.

"That was the problem," Hill said early Monday. "They wanted to trade me for Pat Ewing."

Hill eventually went to Orlando in a sign-and-trade that included Chucky Atkins and a relative unknown, Ben Wallace, going to the Pistons. The deal,orchestrated by Pistons GM Joe Dumars and assistant GM Brendan Suhr, paid huge dividends as Wallace was key member of a team that won an NBA championship andtook San Antonio to Game 7 the following year.

This time around Hill is deciding between re-signing with Phoenix, joining the Celtics or signing with the Knicks. The one edge the Knicks may have is thatthey could offer Hill part of their mid-level exception now that Jason Kidd has decided to return to Dallas.

Boston can't give Hill the money the Knicks can but the Celtics are offering a chance to be part of a contender. Plus, Boston helped itself immeasurably bysigning Rasheed Wallace.

If Hill were to sign in New York he won't get to wear his familiar No. 33. That of course, hangs in the rafters. On Monday, Hill said that his parents hadseason tickets to Georgetown home games so Hill got a chance to see Ewing up close.

One of Ewing's former teammates, Michael Jackson, who attended the same Virginia high school as Hill, once invited Hill to Ewing's home when Ewing wasin his third year in the NBA. The story goes that Ewing ordered pizza but when the delivery man arrived Ewing claimed he didn't have any money.

"I ended up paying for the pizza," Hill said, laughing. "Later on when I played with Patrick in Orlando I learned that was normal for him. Atthe time I was 12 or 13. It was a highlight. I told people that I paid for Pat Ewing's pizza."

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/knicks/2009/07/hill-ewing-go-way-back.html#ixzz0KW2oXK9p&D

Originally Posted by pr0phecy718

"That was the problem," Hill said early Monday. "They wanted to trade me for Pat Ewing."
"I ended up paying for the pizza," Hill said, laughing. "Later on when I played with Patrick in Orlando I learned that was normal for him. At the time I was 12 or 13. It was a highlight. I told people that I paid for Pat Ewing's pizza."
still dont want Hill but...

pimp.gif
at both of those

Originally Posted by Supafly122

Originally Posted by Woodside718

Originally Posted by Ballinsam23

Originally Posted by KingFoamNYC

this offseason is a wash
smh.gif

[h3]I doubt any of this happens, but
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

[/h3] [h3]
[/h3] [h3]Very busy week ahead for The Knicks....[/h3]
by Hoops4Life06 on Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:34 pm

Lot's of surprises are in store for NY fans this week. Things will finally fall into place. Once Kidd makes his official announcement NY will make decisions on Lee, Nate and EDDY CURRY.

Grant Hill will be offered a 1 year deal with a player option for year 2, look for him to take that deal. Quiet as it's kept, Ricky Rubio is still very much in play for NY and this week something will happen to prove that out.

Brandon Bass will take a deal with Orlando. So that's just one more landing spot off the table for David Lee.

Kidd's decision which will be official tomorrow. That will set the wheels in motion for a week of activity that will surprise NY fans a little. Eddy and Nate will be on the move. Being able to find a trading partner for Eddy will shock alot of people. New Orleans is a strong possibility. Dont snicker at Eddy in NO, playing in the pick and roll with CP3, Eddy will feast (that includes on that gumbo too)

Nate & Mobley dealt, Nate signed and traded to Minnesota. Mobley to Portland, Rudy Fernandez, Blake plus cash to Minnesota, Rubio to NY and Portland will sign Andre Miller.

But the Lee issue will be resolved by week's end. He will be a Knick. Donnie played this just right!

Of course reaction will be VERY mixed. BUT by the time NY starts the summer league, Nate, Mobley and BIG EDDY will be gone. BUT, NY will have David Lee will be back along with Ricky Rubio and Grant Hill on the roster.
If 50% of that is true I would be good
So we're giving up Nate, Mobley, Eddy......and we're getting Hill, Rubio, Rudy...and we keep Lee.. Yea Right..... But i am waiting..
nerd.gif
the report actually has rudy going to the wolves.we get rubio in the deal.
wink.gif
i'm optimistic but that deal seems too good to be true.

about grant-he still has game and can certainly help any team.but if we sign him that would most likely eat into chandler,galinari,and not to mentionharrington's PT.if anything,we need a SG and maybe a point.hill to boston makes too much sense.

Hill probably wouldn't of been injured if he was traded 9 yrs ago.. (wrong place, wrong time)

but anyway.. is that article just a speculation?

Anyone think Morris Almond can make the team? I remember hearing about him in the draft a couple years back and some Allan Houston comparisons (knicks coulduse a SG shooter/scorer)...

(From wiki)...
He led the D-League in scoring during the season, averaging 25.6 points per game.[3] In just his fifth game with the team on December 21, 2007, he tied aleague record with 51 points in a 118-116 victory over the Austin Toros.[4] Later in the season, he broke the record with a 53-point performance against theBakersfield Jam in a 102-87 win.[5] Almond is currently competing for a roster spot with the New York Knicks. He will play for the Knicks' Las Vegas SummerLeague team.

[h1]Grant Hill 'Very Serious' About Joining Knicks[/h1]
Jul 06, 2009 10:39 PM EST

Hill_Grant_phx.jpg
Grant Hill spent the day with theKnicks and said he is "very serious" about the possibility of signing with the team.

"I've always been a fan of the Knicks and the city," Hill said. "Obviously, they've gone through a lot the last few years, butI'm a big fan of Donnie Walsh and Mike D'Antoni, so I'm definitely interested. I'm just taking it all in."

D'Antoni spoke about what Hill may be able to bring to the Knicks.

"Yes, he's going to be 37 and you don't know when he's going to hit the wall, but he hasn't hit the wall yet," D'Antoni said."If he was 25, we couldn't get him anyway."

Source: LeBron James Tells Recruit He'll Stay With Cavaliers

Jul 07, 2009 2:24 AM EST

The Cleveland Cavaliers made a last ditch effort to recruit Trevor Ariza away from the Houston Rockets on Sunday, but they may have got some good news fortheir failure.

According to Chris Broussard from ESPN The Magazine, LeBron James told Ariza he would remain with the Cavaliers past 2010.

Even that wasn't enough to get Ariza, who verbally committed to join the Rockets last Thursday, to change his mind and go to Cleveland.

"Trevor asked LeBron if he would be in Cleveland after next season," the source said. "And LeBron said, 'I'll be there. Of course,I'll be there.'"

Originally Posted by Supafly122

Source: LeBron James Tells Recruit He'll Stay With Cavaliers

Jul 07, 2009 2:24 AM EST

The Cleveland Cavaliers made a last ditch effort to recruit Trevor Ariza away from the Houston Rockets on Sunday, but they may have got some good news for their failure.

According to Chris Broussard from ESPN The Magazine, LeBron James told Ariza he would remain with the Cavaliers past 2010.

Even that wasn't enough to get Ariza, who verbally committed to join the Rockets last Thursday, to change his mind and go to Cleveland.

"Trevor asked LeBron if he would be in Cleveland after next season," the source said. "And LeBron said, 'I'll be there. Of course, I'll be there.'"
i have a feeling that if Treva did go to the cavs and even if they did not win the championship, bron would've stayed in cleavland, butbecause ariza ditched him, things are in the air now.

that article means nothing. Lebron just realized that he messed up and noone will play with him until he signs an extension.

Damn, Mike Sweetney is still alive?
eek.gif

And, I don't know how I feel about signing Grant Hill. What's the point? He's old as hell, and will only take minutes away from Wilson andGallinari.

I understand they're trying to win this year, because Utah has our pick, but will Grant Hill make that much of a difference?

And how much steam do the Rubio to NY rumors have? Is there anything still lingering, or is that completely dead?
nerd.gif

I mean, he wasn't mighty to begin with. But damn, smh @ how he blew up (no pun). So is PE jr really on the summer team? Hopefully he doesn'tget shafted this time around.

Sources: LeBron denies Ariza's story
Comment Email Print Share
By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
Archive
LeBron James did not tell Trevor Ariza he would stay in Cleveland past 2010, according to sources close to the Cavaliers' superstar -- contradicting what aperson close to Ariza said Monday night.

That source said that James told Ariza he planned to remain with the Cavaliers past next summer, when he can become a free agent. James could not be reachedfor comment Monday night, but on Tuesday, sources who spoke to James said the story told by the person close to Ariza was wrong.

eek.gif
at Sweetney I wouldnt mind seein rubio on the knicks, i dont care what anyone says, minni took all those PGs are trade bait damm well knowing
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by xblker47

Sources: LeBron denies Ariza's story
Comment Email Print Share
By Chris Broussard
ESPN The Magazine
Archive
LeBron James did not tell Trevor Ariza he would stay in Cleveland past 2010, according to sources close to the Cavaliers' superstar -- contradicting what a person close to Ariza said Monday night.

That source said that James told Ariza he planned to remain with the Cavaliers past next summer, when he can become a free agent. James could not be reached for comment Monday night, but on Tuesday, sources who spoke to James said the story told by the person close to Ariza was wrong.
happy.gif

eek.gif
Damn Sweetney gained a lot of weight. I had hope for him when he wasplaying in NY, I thought he'd be a solid contributor.

We still got another year to see what LeBron is gonna do...I'm not all focused on the LeBron to NY plan. He isn't the only free agent that could helpturn this squad around. I'd actually like to see this team make that big improvement without LeBron in all honesty.

[h1]Knicks Make An Offer To Hill[/h1]

[h3]
[/h3]

Jul 07, 2009 4:06 PM EST

Hill_Grant_phx.jpg
The Knicks spent nearly all day and night with Grant Hill on Monday, ending it with a contract offer.

The New York Post is reporting that the offer is for one-year and is worth a portion of the club's mid-level exception.

"We think we have a chance, but you never know," a team source said of landing the free-agent forward.

Hill has been linked to the Suns and Celtics as well.

"You want to have players who've had a lot of success before so they can show the other players how to do it," Knicks president Donnie Walsh told The Post. "That's the kind of player we want to bring in."

I'm all for veteran leadership helping out our younger guys, but he's just going to take minutes from Gallinari and Chandler.

Back
Top Bottom