Formula 1 2008 Post

damn... 10 laps mins of TERROR... lewis needs to hold on!

lets hope sutil can put up a good fight with kimi...

EDIT - KIMI OVERSHOOTS IT!!! OH NO SUTIL! tough break,..
tired.gif

kimi wow. I feel sooooooo bad for Sutil and VJ. Sutil was having the race of his career. Shame.

curt - I've been wondering... have you done open-wheel racing and if so, what type of transmission did it have?

EDIT - they said it... a bit of luck, lots of skill...yay Lewis!
pimp.gif

Did I just see Diddy get that Tony Yayo treatment from Lewis? Dude was left hangin
laugh.gif

^ yep that was Diddy... and a PussyCat Doll as well...

Lewis has his priorities... Nick and Dad first...

Edit - Results

[table][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]2:00:42.742[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]3.064[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]4.811[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]19.295[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]24.657[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]28.408[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]30.180[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]33.191[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]33.792[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]*at 1 lap[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]*at 4 laps[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]David Coulthard[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][/table]

Great race. Its my favorite for a reason, you never know what will happen.

Too bad for Sutil. Had a great race and for it to end like that is just really sad.

Lewis :pimp:

Diddy is such a hypebeast :smh:

The princess :smile:

Originally Posted by BEATSLIM

Diddy is such a hypebeast
smh.gif

Hypebeast?
laugh.gif
Perhaps... according to Formula1.com
Another pit lane regular is P Diddy. Previously always a guest of Flavio Briatore, he changed camp this time to support Lewis Hamilton. "I have followed Lewis' career ever since he came into Formula One. Man, he is cool! He's a real inspiration for his generation. What I like about F1? It's a mixture of concept, strategy, timing and luck - and all that at 200mph. That's unbeatable. And if it hasn't got around by now: the Monaco race weekend as an absolute 'must', come rain, come shine!"

cef25d5e3c67ee937b320878d88e3505592cd1a.pjpg

30 years of the Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal

Montreal staged its first Canadian Grand Prix back in October 1978 and this weekend's race will mark the 30th anniversary of the race coming to theFrench-Canadian city. In honour of this special occasion, we delved into the archives to bring you a few highlights from the last three decades…

- Prior to 1978 the home of Formula One racing in Canada had principally been Mosport Park (although Mont-Tremblant hosted two events). However, the Torontotrack had gradually fallen out of favour and when it was eventually deemed outdated the sport switched its attentions to Montreal, where it has remained eversince.

- Motivated by the success of up-and-coming local hero Gilles Villeneuve, but somewhat short on time, Montreal decided to combine public streets withpurpose-built sections for their new circuit. Taking the Ile Notre-Dame as their starting point, officials spent $2 million connecting all the island'sroads to make a track that could satisfy Formula One racing's exacting standards.

- They succeeded. With a mixture of long straights and tight chicanes, it quickly became one of the most popular tracks on the calendar - a claim it can stillmake today. Although a stone's throw from the bustle of downtown Montreal, the circuit's location on the man-made island in the St Lawrence seaway isrelatively tranquil, with slippery conditions on the opening day (due to the track's infrequent use) and rogue groundhogs among the regular hazards fordrivers.

- The first race held in Montreal took place on October 8, 1978 and the 72,000 Canadian fans that packed into the grandstands were gifted with a dream resultwhen French-Canadian star Villeneuve, in his first season with Ferrari, took a memorable maiden victory.

- Villeneuve almost won again in 1979, but after a close tussle it was Williams' Alan Jones who claimed victory (a feat the Australian would repeat againin 1980). In 1981 it looked like Villeneuve would get another chance to score the top step of the podium, but a collision between his Ferrari and Arnoux'sRenault during the rain-hit event meant he could only manage third. The race was eventually won by Jacques Laffite for Ligier.

- In 1982 Formula One racing was rocked by the Villeneuve's death during practice for the Belgian Grand Prix and in his honour the Montreal track wasrenamed the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. However, that year's race did not escape tragedy either, when Riccardo Paletti drove into the back of the stalledFerrari of Didier Pironi and was killed. Nelson Piquet won for Brabham.

- The following year the name Villeneuve returned to the Montreal entry list with the younger brother of Gilles, Jacques, attempting - and unfortunatelyfailing - to qualify in a Ram March. Rene Arnoux was more successful, winning for Ferrari. A season later Piquet and Brabham were again victorious, beforeFerrari returned to winning form in 1985 with Michele Alboreto leading team mate Stefan Johansson home.

Coming soon in Part Two - the circuit's history from 1986 to the present day

[h2]The Canadian Grand Prix Preview - hunting the hat trick[/h2]
Back in the lead of the world championship after his victory in Monaco, McLaren's Lewis Hamilton is determined to become 2008's first three-timewinner on the circuit at which he took his maiden Grand Prix triumph last season, as the Formula One circus moves to Canada.

Ferrari's Kimi Raikkonen and Felipe Massa are similarly searching for their third victory of the season and after the Italian team's disappointingMonte Carlo result, both will be out to make amends at the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve.

"Winning at Monaco is the highlight of my career, it was a very emotional victory for me as it is something I have dreamed of since I was a kid,"says Hamilton. "I will never forget the moment, but now my only focus is Canada. We have good momentum right now and we are pushing to keep that going andto keep developing.

"The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve is one of my favourite tracks and following last year it is a very special place for me. I hope that we will be quick thereagain this year. It is renowned for its difficult track surfaces, particularly with tyre graining, and the walls. Despite being very fast, it can feel like astreet circuit with the barriers very close, but it is good fun to drive."

Twelve months on from his first pole position and victory, Hamilton reflected recently on how his career has developed.

"Last year in Canada was one of the biggest accomplishments of my life, to take my maiden pole and victory in Formula One was incredible. Since then Ithink I've matured a lot. I have grown stronger as a driver and have become closer to the team."

Similar things might be said of Massa, who is beginning to emerge as a real force at Ferrari. "I think we have gone very well in the recent test at PaulRicard, with the car set-up for Canada," the Brazilian says. "I think we will be a lot better there than we were last year, and I think we can fightfor the win."

Team mate Kimi Raikkonen, who won in Montreal for McLaren in 2005, needs a strong result after Monaco. He is convinced the F2008 will work better than lastyear around the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve, when Ferrari had a relatively poor Canadian Grand Prix, with the Finn taking fifth place and Massa beingdisqualified for a pit lane infringement.

"Traditionally Canada is a good race for Ferrari," says Raikkonen, "so let's hope that we can continue this tradition. It's possible tohave strange races there, too, because it's very possible that the safety car will be employed, but we're ready for every kind of situation."

Meanwhile, the BMW Sauber pairing of Robert Kubica and Nick Heidfeld (a podium finisher here in 2007), are also hungry, the German-Swiss team currently just apoint shy of second-placed McLaren in the constructor standings.

"Last year's race was very special for me," Heidfeld says. "We put in a very strong showing in 2007. I came third in qualifying and finishedsecond in the race on my own merit. Initially that result was obviously overshadowed by Robert's accident. Only when we knew he was okay were we able tocelebrate."

The Pole says that he has no qualms about the place despite the massive accident that befell him here in 2007.

"I don't think there will be any emotions for me," he says. "Like always at every Grand Prix I will try to do my best. And after theaccident of last year there was no effect - there was no effect until now so I don't expect anything."

The teams always run low downforce here because of the long straights, so mechanical grip becomes even more important. Brake performance and durability is alsocritical, as this is the toughest circuit of the season in that respect.

"It is very heavy on the brakes and we have to pay special attention to make sure they last the race," says Heikki Kovalainen, who will be lookingfor his first victory with McLaren. "It is also definitely key to a good lap at this track to be able to ride the kerbs well; basically you are trying tostraight-line them so you can go faster through the corner. The most important thing is being able to take those bumps and the hits well and for it not todisrupt the car too much. So in general the car needs to be quite soft."

The track has been modified at the point on the back straight where Kubica crashed. The wall that he hit on the outside has been moved closer to the track toreduce the angle of impact if a car goes off there in a similar accident. Improved debris fencing has also been added to reduce the possibility of debris beingthrown across the wall into the path of cars exiting the hairpin.

The Circuit Gilles Villeneuve gets little use during the year so the surface tends to be very slippery until it cleans up with use and 'rubbers in'.Thereafter, the grip level increases significantly.

Bridgestone will have their soft and super-soft tyres again, as in Monaco, but the indications from the weather forecasts are that they may well need theirwet-weather rubber instead. A chance of thunderstorms is predicted for all three racing days.

Tchau.

[table][tr][th="col"]P.[/th] [th="col"]Driver[/th] [th="col"]Team[/th] [th="col"]Time[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]1:17.553[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:00.256[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]0:00.580[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:00.629[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]0:00.739[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]0:00.750[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:01.159[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]David Coulthard[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:01.256[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:01.418[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:01.452[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:01.540[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:01.675[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:01.793[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:02.015[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:02.262[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:02.335[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:02.538[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:02.620[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:02.688[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:03.989[/td] [/tr][/table]* Wet track...

[table][tr][th="col"]P.[/th] [th="col"]Driver[/th] [th="col"]Team[/th] [th="col"]Time[/th] [/tr][tr][td]1[/td] [th="row"]Lewis Hamilton[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]1:17.886[/td] [/tr][tr][td]2[/td] [th="row"]Robert Kubica[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:00.612[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3[/td] [th="row"]Kimi Räikkönen[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]0:00.849[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4[/td] [th="row"]Fernando Alonso[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:01.085[/td] [/tr][tr][td]5[/td] [th="row"]Nico Rosberg[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:01.138[/td] [/tr][tr][td]6[/td] [th="row"]Felipe Massa[/th] [td]Ferrari[/td] [td]0:01.162[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7[/td] [th="row"]Heikki Kovalainen[/th] [td]McLaren[/td] [td]0:01.203[/td] [/tr][tr][td]8[/td] [th="row"]Nick Heidfeld[/th] [td]BMW[/td] [td]0:01.747[/td] [/tr][tr][td]9[/td] [th="row"]Rubens Barrichello[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:02.362[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10[/td] [th="row"]Mark Webber[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]*out[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11[/td] [th="row"]Timo Glock[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:00.145[/td] [/tr][tr][td]12[/td] [th="row"]Kazuki Nakajima[/th] [td]Williams[/td] [td]0:00.176[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13[/td] [th="row"]David Coulthard[/th] [td]Red Bull[/td] [td]0:00.352[/td] [/tr][tr][td]14[/td] [th="row"]Jarno Trulli[/th] [td]Toyota[/td] [td]0:00.441[/td] [/tr][tr][td]15[/td] [th="row"]Nelsinho Piquet Jr[/th] [td]Renault[/td] [td]0:00.507[/td] [/tr][tr][td]16[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Bourdais[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [td]0:01.030[/td] [/tr][tr][td]17[/td] [th="row"]Adrian Sutil[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:01.222[/td] [/tr][tr][td]18[/td] [th="row"]Giancarlo Fisichella[/th] [td]Force India[/td] [td]0:01.279[/td] [/tr][tr][td]19[/td] [th="row"]Jenson Button[/th] [td]Honda[/td] [td]0:05.679[/td] [/tr][tr][td]20[/td] [th="row"]Sebastien Vettel[/th] [td]Toro Rosso[/td] [/tr][/table]
Lewis took pole by six-tenths... surely he running super-light... 12 laps maybe?

wow, lewis is lucky he did that to the ice man. If that had been schumi, he'd have lewis in a choke hold right now. Kubica's first victory, anyone?

seems that way... alonso could also have a shot... money's on Kubica now...

smh.gif
@ Lewis missing the light...

smh.gif
at Hamilton; and this is not the first time hismind was else where down the pit lane...wasn't there another incident where he admitted he wasn't really paying attention? I say he deserves a 10-spotpenalty.

edit- 10-spot it is...just wondeirng how fast can a modern F-1 car go from 60 back down to 0? Personally, I kinda like Lewis Hamilton but some of the stuff hesays just does NOT make sense.

I'm a Lewis fan, but he just needs to raise his hand and admit that it was his fault... even Ron Dennis said that his team had reminded him to keep an eyeon the light... his pit-stop wasn't too good, which resulted in Kubica and Kimi overtaking him in the pits, so maybe he was too focused on getting back outas soon as possible, but still its not an excuse...

10-place penalty... harsh but deserved... overtaking isn't easy at Magny-Cours, so he's pretty much screwed...

incidentally, James Allen of ITV in the UK (who's understandably very biased towards Lewis), had this to say...
smh.gif

This is interesting in light of Raikkonen's collision with Adrian Sutil in Monaco, which cost the German five points, but did not attract a 10-place grid drop for Kimi here in Canada… Figure that one out.

Kimi's accident was clearly a racing incident... fool
smh.gif

He is at fault. Let's not forget though, it's only his 2nd year in F1. He will make mistakes, heck he made a couple at Monaco and still won.

He'll bounce back.

Drivers championship is now very interesting...

Tchau.

how fast can a modern F-1 car go from 60 back down to 0?
In just about one and a half seconds
wink.gif

edit: totally missed this:
curt - I've been wondering... have you done open-wheel racing and if so, what type of transmission did it have?
semi auto. but also a lot of karting/superkarting with 6 speed sequentials. Last time I drove a formula car though was a Benatton at the Ascaritrack/resort in spain

With the French GP this weekend, I thought I'd bump this...
Originally Posted by curt2121

semi auto. but also a lot of karting/superkarting with 6 speed sequentials. Last time I drove a formula car though was a Benatton at the Ascari track/resort in spain

wow, you've been to/driven at the Ascari Resort? musta been an amazing experience... and how did you get your hands on a Benetton!? how do thesequentials on these cars work when it comes to downshifting? does it blip the throttle for you? I've seen JGTC (which uses xTrac ******'s) raceswhere the driver heel-&-toe's when they downshifted on a sequential, which made me wonder if it was necessary...

Nice race for Ferrari but why does something ALWAYS happen to Kimi and the exhaust pipe was just the latest thing.....I swear dude will be able to assemble afully functional F1 car with all the parts that had been falling off his ride by the time he retires (if they fixed them).

At least Kimi managed to hang on to 2nd..but anybody know if Kimi's engine was on the first or second race??

Back
Top Bottom