FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

From the vid - which is where my initial comment stemmed from:

9zvejm.png

not my pic, but from a restaurant that I personally think has the best tacos/Mexican food in the DMV

iemb9d.png

You tell me....

Is called presentation.

Just how you go to McDonald's and see this
On the menu board.
6F61811A-ECC5-488E-9B88-5063D7F097E7.jpeg

But end up getting this in reality
1F4D880B-847A-467B-9938-2DCF45B17CA7.jpeg

How is an "authentic" American burger suppose to look like?

It's not hard to make a good taco imo.
If you have good cooked quality meat the rest is pretty easy.

Is called presentation.

Just how you go to McDonald's and see this
On the menu board.
6F61811A-ECC5-488E-9B88-5063D7F097E7.jpeg

But end up getting this in reality
1F4D880B-847A-467B-9938-2DCF45B17CA7.jpeg

How is an "authentic" American burger suppose to look like?

No need to be condescending.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue here.

Your telling me the ingredients not how it should look like.

Where you quoted me, there's a pic of an authentic Mexican taco.

My bad Joe Johnson

La Mexicana Bakery and Taqueria in Alexandria

It's in a dump of a strip mall...the restaurant itself is nothing fancy, but it's got the best Mexican food I've had that's not home cooked by my boy's mom. Probably 10 min outside of Old Town. If you try it, let me know what u think. Burritos are the size of a newborn baby.

Those are literally the tacos I used to make when I was a kid before I started really cooking. Ground beef, sour cream, lettuce, hot sauce, flour tortillas or Ortega/Old El Paso corn shells.

After I learned how to make different salsas, authentic shells made from masa corn flour, roasting/slow cooking meats, etc. I stopped eating that

It's literally "at home" taco Bell

Even when my little one asks for tacos she wants the authentic versions with cilantro, onions, Pico de Gallo, and grilled chicken

Those are literally the tacos I used to make when I was a kid before I started really cooking. Ground beef, sour cream, lettuce, hot sauce, flour tortillas or Ortega/Old El Paso corn shells.

What you described is a caucasian taco aka Taco Bell. :lol:

None of that described is how we get down. Those premade hard taco things :smh:

Nothing better than a true authentic taco like you described but I wish somebody would find a way to put some flavor in tortillas. Them joints are mad flavorless especially if they skimp on the meat.

Last edited:
Taco Bell actually created the hard shell taco.

More specifically they were one of the first in their area to use it but they are the ones who popularized it.

No need to be condescending.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to argue here.

I'm just poking fun at your statement that's all.

I'm pretty sure they can make it look authentic as you desire but they won't be able to "differentiate" themselves from the 1,000 mexican food stands they proably compete with. If they took the approach of "looking authentic or even tasting the same"

I wouldn't even bother myself to go to mels taco if he's doing the same "authentic" Mexican food.

It's all love man. It's just food, eat up.

There's this taco spot in LA called Tacos El Venado. I've caught myself watching their IG stories or videos of them cooking and carving up their al pastor.

I'm really about to drive up just to get some lol

What you described is a caucasian taco aka Taco Bell. :lol:

None of that described is how we get down. Those premade hard taco things :smh:

upload_2018-8-1_14-51-12.jpeg

What I described is basic "box tacos" that are predominantly made in homes regardless of culture.

I know white, black, and hispanic families who eat that constantly.

People who are ignorant to what the authentic taco is, how to prepare it, or just don't feel like going thru the motions generally gravitate towards the "box tacos"

"Taco Tuesday" type of situation when they want to prepare a quick dinner in the beginning of the week.

Watching that video for the most part that's what it looks like a few of the people with stands/trucks were serving.

What I described is basic "box tacos" that are predominantly made in homes regardless of culture.

I know white, black, and hispanic families who eat that constantly.

People who are ignorant to what the authentic taco is, how to prepare it, or just don't feel like going thru the motions generally gravitate towards the "box tacos"

"Taco Tuesday" type of situation when they want to prepare a quick dinner in the beginning of the week.

Watching that video for the most part that's what it looks like a few of the people with stands/trucks were serving.

I didn't grow up with authentic style, but I always thought those shells were trash :lol: .

And nah that's not what they were serving. Especially from Taco mel. The trucks and what they dish out is what at least how we make our tacos out here. I guess I can only speak for most of Cali folks because those are it. I would go because I havent been in a minute but I had tacos yesterday:lol:

There's this taco spot in LA called Tacos El Venado. I've caught myself watching their IG stories or videos of them cooking and carving up their al pastor.

Tacos el unico and Tacos el Gavilan are cool spots as well

Tacos el unico and Tacos el Gavilan are cool spots as well
Thanks, man. I'll add those places to my list.

There isn't really a good taco spot here in the OC...Unless I'm just missing spots lol

I took my wife to Gordon Ramseys Steak restaurant at the Paris in Vegas for her birthday last week. I had a ceasar salad, a ballast point grapefruit IPA, the beef Wellington and the sticky toffee pudding for dessert. The food and service was excellent. The 280$ bill on the other hand had me ready to jack knife powerbomb old ramsey into the basement from the top of the fake eiffel tower.
With those kind of prices they may as well replace balrog with ramsey in the next streetfighter game.

Pullin up at Leo's truck at 3AM after the club >

Their al pastor will have you considering leaving your car parked there and taking an uber home.

No dish is worth ME paying close to $300.

I might do it if it is a super special occasion but no matter what
A. It wouldn't be for Me
B. I wouldn't be happy about dropping that for a singld meal

I know, it is the experience

Not that I have it too often, but I think I'm officially over chipotle... had it today & it was very very meh... Don't think I'll ever go back again, at least for a long while.

Back
Top Bottom