FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

What kind of sauce would you have used? Condiments are loads of salt/sugar unnecessary cals. lol.

Jesus. I didnt even think 32% of people used a thermo when grilling, let alone grilling a ****ing burger. For some meats/cuts a thermo is necessary but burgers is definitely not one. :lol:

That's a joke right? Unless you just ground down steak into burgers you're playing roulette with all the bacteria that can hide in the crazy surface area - or you're drying them out by "making sure". There's no inbetween. Eyeballing it isn't accurate to within 20 degrees.

what are the peppers on the left called? and where can i buy em? theyre kinda sweet but got a nice spice to em

thumb_600.JPG

That's a joke right? Unless you just ground down steak into burgers you're playing roulette with all the bacteria that can hide in the crazy surface area - or you're drying them out by "making sure". There's no inbetween. Eyeballing it isn't accurate to within 20 degrees.
So you are one of those burger thermometer folks?

The fallacy of, "You don't know what you are doing if you use a thermometer" is wild. If anything, proper food safety SHOULD be encouraged. Many folks have that mentality, read it here and throughout the BBQ Thread

I cook all my burgers well done, and i always make my patties very thin - so i can tell when they are done just by looking at them. Do i overshoot sometimes? sure, i guess, but i have never had any issues in the 20+ years ive been grilling burgers. :lol: Maybe if you are someone who makes 1"+ thick burgers then its necessary, but thats not me.

I use a thermapen mk4 for almost every protein i cook, besides for burgers and hot dogs.

The fallacy of, "You don't know what you are doing if you use a thermometer" is wild. If anything, proper food safety SHOULD be encouraged. Many folks have that mentality, read it here and throughout the BBQ Thread
It’s not that people who use meat thermometers don’t know what they’re doing, but there is a skill in being able to identify the “doneness” by feeling the meat.

I also wouldn’t bug out about food safety on a meat that’s commonly served tartare.

Reactions: God
I don't use thermometers, but it does sound silly. Like "you don't know what you're doing because you use the tools available to you".

I also wouldn’t bug out about food safety on a meat that’s commonly served tartare.

But like I said the issue is surface area. If you’re buying premade burgers or using ground beef to make them then that’s asking for trouble. The only safe way is to take fresh steak and grind it down before making it into a burger - then you can make them rare like a steak. Same with tartare - it needs to be fresh.

Been thinking a lot about burgers and layering flavors as of late. I like bacon on a burger, but it has to be just right for me. I often don't like super thick cut bacon because it doesn't provide the texture contrast that a thin, crispy bacon does, but I also dislike long, intact pieces of the latter due to the pull factor.

I'm thinking that I'm gonna get the thick cut tomorrow but dice it into small cubes and fry it so there's more surface area crisp and no pullage issues. Gonna throw some in between two smashburger patties with some American cheese to act as the glue.

Using my usual caramelized onions, pickles, special sauce recipe but I'm opting for Big Marty's seeded buns this time around. Sauce to be determined. Pics and feedback to come.

Every burger I had with bacon tasted so salty.

Back
Top Bottom