FOOD THREAD VOL. GRUB LIFE

Official #PYM Thread
unnamed.jpg

Reppin' it.
What is that? Looks interesting...

What is that? Looks interesting...
Kewpie. It's a Japanese mayo made exclusively with egg yolks and uses rice vinegar instead of white vinegar. It needs to be continuously refrigerated (even before opening/using) and can be found at just about any Oriental grocery store. Taste is slightly more creamy/tangy than the mayo that most are used to.

Kewpie. It's a Japanese mayo made exclusively with egg yolks and uses rice vinegar instead of white vinegar. It needs to be continuously refrigerated (even before opening/using) and can be found at just about any Oriental grocery store. Taste is slightly more creamy/tangy than the mayo that most are used to.
Is it the kind used in the Banh Mi sandwiches?

Is it the kind used in the Banh Mi sandwiches?
To be honest I've never had a Banh Mi with mayo. I'm used to my Bahn Mi being some sort of protein, quick-pickled vegetables (carrots, cabbage, jalapeno,etc.), a smear of pate, cilantro, and Vietnamese-style dressing on Baguette.

Good timing to bring this up because I never made the connection between Vietnamese and French cuisine until today when I watched the video of Anthony Bourdain getting a Bahn Mi. Looked a little deeper into it and learned about the historical context.

I might work in healthcare now, but I really miss the humanities and culinary arts. :ohwell:

To be honest I've never had a Banh Mi with mayo. I'm used to my Bahn Mi being some sort of protein, quick-pickled vegetables (carrots, cabbage, jalapeno,etc.), a smear of pate, cilantro, and Vietnamese-style dressing on Baguette.

Good timing to bring this up because I never made the connection between Vietnamese and French cuisine until today when I watched the video of Anthony Bourdain getting a Bahn Mi. Looked a little deeper into it and learned about the historical context.

I might work in healthcare now, but I really miss the humanities and culinary arts. :ohwell:
If the kind you shared a picture of is expensive then it probably is not what I am thinking of because Banh Mi is not very pricey.

I’m Filipino too and thought the same when the plate came to my table.

Food was bomb tho.

Gotta get it with the mayo ...

You'll like this watch.

If the kind you shared a picture of is expensive then it probably is not what I am thinking of because Banh Mi is not very pricey.

Spot in Westminster, 3 for $6 and B1G1 thai tea, open 24/7. I miss it :frown:

Last edited:
I wouldn't trust any alleged Caribbean food on the west coast.

Usually rice portions are much larger too. But it looks like dude opted for way more protein than grain for that plate.

Nah. We have a great amount of Caribbean folks on this side of the coast. In my city alone, within a 2 mile radius, I know of like 5 jamaican spots. That spot prolly wasnt a hood spot. Rice and Peas are always the most plentiful portion

See I wouldn't even know for a fact. Of all the ethnicities that get championed and mostly repped on the west, Caribbean aint one of them.

Back
Top Bottom