Florida School Shooting, Over 20 Casualties

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2017/10/04/opinion/thoughts-prayers-nra-funding-senators.html

Are Republicans the only ones that are in the bed with NRA?
By DAVID LEONHARDT, IAN PRASAD PHILBRICK and STUART A. THOMPSONOCT. 4, 2017

Most Americans support stronger gun laws — laws that would reduce deaths. But Republicans in Congress stand in the way. They fear alienating their primary voters and the National Rifle Association.

Below are the top 10 career recipients of N.R.A. funding – through donations or spending to benefit the candidate – among both current House and Senate members, along with their statements about the Las Vegas massacre. These representatives have a lot to say about it. All the while, they refuse to do anything to avoid the next massacre.

Senate
john-mccain-100.png
John McCain
Ariz.
“Cindy & I are praying for the victims of the terrible #LasVegasShooting & their families.”
$7,740,521
FROM THE N.R.A.
richard-m-burr-100.png
Richard Burr
N.C.
“My heart is with the people of Las Vegas and their first responders today. This morning’s tragic violence has absolutely no place here in America.”
$6,986,620
FROM THE N.R.A.
roy-blunt-100.png
Roy Blunt
Mo.
“Saddened by the tragic loss of life in #LasVegas. My thoughts are with all of the families affected by this horrific attack.”
$4,551,146
FROM THE N.R.A.
thom-tillis-100.png
Thom Tillis
N.C.
“Susan and I send our deepest condolences and prayers to the families of the victims of this horrific and senseless tragedy in Las Vegas.”
$4,418,012
FROM THE N.R.A.
cory-gardner-100.png
Cory Gardner
Co.
“My family and I are praying for the families of those injured and killed in Las Vegas last night.”
$3,879,064
FROM THE N.R.A.
marco-rubio-100.png
Marco Rubio
Fla.
“I’m praying for all the victims, their families, and our first responders in the #LasVegas #MandalayBay shooting.”
$3,303,355
FROM THE N.R.A.
joni-ernst-100.png
Joni Ernst
Iowa
“My prayers are with all of the victims in Las Vegas, and their loved ones affected by this senseless act of violence.”
$3,124,273
FROM THE N.R.A.
rob-portman-100.png
Rob Portman
Ohio
“Jane & I mourn the loss of innocent lives in this horrific attack in Las Vegas last night. We are praying for those taken from us, their families & all those injured in this attack.”
$3,061,941
FROM THE N.R.A.
todd-young-100.png
Todd Young
Ind.
“We must offer our full support to the victims and their families as our nation mourns.”
$2,896,732
FROM THE N.R.A.
bill-cassidy-100.png
Bill Cassidy
La.
“Following closely the horrendous act of violence in Las Vegas. Our prayers are with those who were injured, killed and their families.”
$2,861,047
FROM THE N.R.A.
House
french-hill1.png
French Hill
Ark.
“Martha and I are praying for the families and victims of this senseless act of evil. […] We must continue to work together to stop this kind of terror.”
$1,089,477
FROM THE N.R.A.
ken-buck1.png
Ken Buck
Co.
“I'm praying for all of those impacted by the evil events in Las Vegas last night. Our country must stand together in support of the families of the victims and the community.”
$800,544
FROM THE N.R.A.
david-young1.png
David Young
Iowa
“My thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families and friends of the horrific and evil tragedy in Las Vegas.”
$707,662
FROM THE N.R.A.
mike-simpson1.png
Mike Simpson
Idaho
“Though no words can heal our hurt, and no explanation will ever feel sufficient, I pray that all involved may find comfort as we process this devastating tragedy.”
$385,731
FROM THE N.R.A.
greg-gianforte1.png
Greg Gianforte
Mont.
No statement released.
$344,630
FROM THE N.R.A.
don-young1.png
Don Young
Alaska
“Anne and I are praying for all those involved or impacted by this heinous act of violence.”
$245,720
FROM THE N.R.A.
lloyd-smucker1.png
Lloyd Smucker
Pa.
“Horrific act of violence in Las Vegas. Cindy and I pray for the victims, their families, and the first responders.”
$221,736
FROM THE N.R.A.
bruce-poliquin1.png
Bruce Poliquin
Maine
“My thoughts are with all those effected in the horrifying attacks in Las Vegas. The nation is with you.”
$201,398
FROM THE N.R.A.
pete-sessions1.png
Pete Sessions
Tex.
“My deepest sympathies are with all who were harmed by this horrific tragedy.”
$158,111
FROM THE N.R.A.
barbara-comstock1.png
Barbara Comstock
Va.
“I am heartbroken by the mass murder that took place last night in Las Vegas and I am praying for the victims, families, and first responders.”
$137,232
FROM THE N.R.A.
All of these representatives are Republican. The highest rankedDemocrat in the House is Sanford Bishop, who ranks 41st in career donations from the N.R.A. Among the top 100 House recipients, 95 are Republican. In the Senate, the top two Democrats are Joe Manchin of West Virginia and Patrick Leahy of Vermont, who rank 52nd and 53rd — behind every Republican but Dan Sullivan of Alaska.

Finally, why are our numbers different from those in Bret Stephens's column on the Second Amendment? Because ours include money the N.R.A. spends on behalf of candidates, in addition to money it gives directly to candidates.

I didn't get this either.

I keep my rifle cable locked, pistol locked away, ammo locked somewhere separately. Everything out of sight.

That protection angle is important though, shotguns and low cal pistols are way more efficient in home defense. You def don't need a long rifle for protection.

Very very sad.

As a society, we ALL have to stop being so ****ing stubborn. It's literally costing lives while we debate whether or not killing 19 elderly people is the same as 20 school children.:smh:

well im the one on the side of the school children

i didnt bring up elderly ppl

i also dont think theres any reason those kids had to die

in other words i didnt turn this into a debate

And news is saying police were called out on him a couple times

But you know, he’s just a troubled white teen

The poor troubled white people, kill ******* 17 people gets taken away in cuffs

1 black child playing at a park with a toy gets ******* shot up by the cops

You have a federal government that has in the past, and currently commits mass violence within its own territories, and around the world to solve its problems, real or manufactured.

You have state/local law enforcement whose first response is to commit violence, mostly against non-whites. Especially a history of committing violence against black people.

That violence is the solution to a problem (real or manufactured) is a precedent set by the state. The state (who has a monopoly on violence) says, arm yourselves and solve your problems using violence, with the tool we allow you to have (guns).

- If you are being bullied, arm yourself and solve your problem using violence (guns).
- If you believe your numbers are dwindling because of diversity, arm yourself and solve your problem using violence (guns).*
- If you believe Sharia Law/Muslims/"terrorists"/black lives matter/immigrants are threatening or displacing you, arm yourself and prepare to solve this problem using violence (guns).*
* these two need to be foot stomped, because the more whites that believe that they are being displaced, the more violent they are going to get
- If you believe we (the state) is oppressing you and will come and take your guns, arm yourself and solve your problem using violence (guns).

Guns will not be banned, ever, because some individual (probably white), will have one of these built-in reasons for needing to own one. In fact, the NRA sloot made a video advocating for gun sales using the bottom 3 reasons. Politicians (mostly white republicans) will continue to do nothing since they're getting paid by the gun lobby run by 14-word reciting white supremacists. Democrats and Hollywood liberals will tweet and make videos for a few days then forget about it. Us normal people will all go to work, school, movies, concerts, mall, train ride, airport, hoping we don’t have a front row seat at the next shooting.

well im the one on the side of the school children

i didnt bring up elderly ppl

i also dont think theres any reason those kids had to die

in other words i didnt turn this into a debate
To be clear, I agree with you. It was a false equivalency that was thrown out to give less credence to the argument that we need to look closely at gun control.

It's the same stray man argument we hear every time this happens: 'If a person wants to kill a large number of people, they'll find a way.'

I say this every time, but it's a cheap and easy argument that hold's little to no water and serves only to muddle the debate and get us off topic.

So not a shot at you per se. I'm just sick of this being the case where every time this happens, someone jumps in and tells us that any plan that anyone could have wouldn't curtail all mass violence, so it'd be better to just not do anything at all. Some of y'all (not you hand2handking hand2handking ) gotta start using your critical thinking skills or begin to work on them, because the core problem that this country is having right now is a mixture of ignorance and pretension.

Last edited:
FBI agents were warned about Nikolas Cruz’s plans to become a “professional school shooter” months ago, according to a YouTube vlogger who noticed a sick comment on one of his videos.

Ben Bennight, a bail bondsman in Mississippi who goes by the name Ben the Bondsman, said that he received a terrifying comment from a user called Nikolas Cruz under a video in September.

“This comment said ‘I’m going to be a professional school shooter” and I knew that I couldn’t just ignore that,” he said.

Bennight said that he flagged the comment to YouTube and also sent a screenshot to the FBI, who visited him briefly in September and asked him whether he knew the poster.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nat...school-shooter-plans-months-article-1.3822163

Threats like this should be taken seriously!

FBI & Youtube dropped the ball big time.

All the warning signs were there.

A lawyer for the family Cruz was staying with after the death of his adoptive mother said that he had purchased his gun legally, despite worries about his mental health, a social media obsession with weapons and posts about killing animals.

I'm not even entertaining the mental health argument. It's just a deflection to keep from discussing banning guns. People molest children, no one talks about mental health. It's just, "that scum needs to die", ECT.

if guns were nukes, and anyone had the ability to george bush the button at any time

would anyone be arguing we need guns?

Might as well stop looking for a cure for AIDS, people are just gonna get cancer anyways.

To be clear, I agree with you. It was a false equivalency that was thrown out to give less credence to the argument that we need to look closely at gun control.

It's the same stray man argument we hear every time this happens: 'If a person wants to kill a large number of people, they'll find a way.'

I say this every time, but it's a cheap and easy argument that hold's little to no water and serves only to muddle the debate and get us off topic.

So not a shot at you per se. I'm just sick of this being the case where every time this happens, someone jumps in and tells us that any plan that anyone could have wouldn't curtail all mass violence, so it'd be better to just not do anything at all. Some of y'all (not you specifically hand2handking hand2handking ) gotta start using your critical thinking skills or begin to work on them, because the core problem that this country is having right now is a mixture of ignorance and pretension.

I think it is possible to believe

A. We need to make it more difficult for people to legally acquire guns

While also believing

B. If someone wants to go Rambo, they will do so

I would like to think that proper engagement with any individual is not a fruitless effort. If talking to an individual and knowing that deep down, we all have the same motives, then maybe an understanding can be reached. If that's not the case, then there is no hope for this country at all.

man save that **** you dudes get a kick out the feeling of superiority you get from "debating" an obvious numbskull there's nothing to be gained or learned from an interaction with dude and everyone knows that.

Couple takeaways from all this,

1. The argument of “let’s not come up with solutions because nothing will 100% completely solve the problem over night “ is the dumbest **** I’ve heard in a while and the people using it does not surprise me.

2. If you feel the need to own a gun for protection odds are you’re a *****. That’s not debatable

3. Black people get shot over broken headlights yet this guy gently is cuffed. Wow. The police could of redeemed themselves for an hour but no.

4. Old whites only care about old whites. You guys go back and forth over who cares about what, check the facts. One way or another these old whites agree that they need to get paid. Only thing they disagree about is who should get more at a given time. Why people place faith that these old whites, the same people that wanted women to stay home and not vote, and the same people that thought blacks going to the same schools as their kids was crazy, do NOT care about anyone but old whites

5. White christian Americans are the most dangerous group of people in America.

Might as well stop looking for a cure for AIDS, people are just gonna get cancer anyways.

Reminds me of the idiot in the Las Vegas shooting thread that told me that "People die of old age and heart disease every day; where's your concern for that?" There's no getting through to these gun loving freaks

Don't believe this video. Why the **** this ***** smilling the while video?

Also

How they take him alive?
Dylan roof shot up a church and they got this dude burger king on the way home.
Not trying to make a race thing... But it plays a major part in this country.

I have a question for people who are for banning assault weapons for civilian use. I actually agree with it and am for banning certain mods and certain capacity magazines. Also I'll preface by saying assault rifles are higher cal with select fire (auto, burst, single).

Are these the only kind you want banned? Do you feel lower cal (.22, 9mm) semi auto rifles are okay for personal use, collections etc? They're essentially long powerful pistols. It can be argued that they can be converted but the cost basically outweighs the benefits so it's not practical.

Also keep in mind AR or AR-15 style does not mean automatic rifle or "assault rifle".

Back
Top Bottom