FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 in South Africa

Originally Posted by Dat Exclusive Cat

^ People are trying to take away credit from the US just because they have nothing to say. the best team won. They may be less talented but they played together especially the defense.

With that being said. Sunday will be a great game. We all know what happens in football when teams meet again
smile.gif
. With the exception of Portugal vs Greece in the euro cup SMH.
Sad im going to miss this game.

If you're talking about my comment, I am taking NOTHING away from the US. They best team DID NOT win. The best team THAT NIGHT one. Just like a commentatorsaid yesterday...

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE THE BEST TEAM IN THE STADIUM.

last night... the better team was Spain. the Winners were the US.

PS... once again, I am a VERY, VERY big USMNT support!
pimp.gif

If you're talking about my comment, I am taking NOTHING away from the US. They best team DID NOT win. The best team THAT NIGHT one. Just like a commentator said yesterday...

YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE THE BEST TEAM IN THE WORLD. YOU JUST HAVE TO BE THE BEST TEAM IN THE STADIUM.

pimp.gif

I wasnt talking about your comment. the better team DID win last nite im sorry to tell ya bud. This is coming from someone who doesnt even care about USsoccer. if spain was the better team they wouldnt of given up such TERRIBLE GOALS. there is no way alitodore shouldve been so free and a swinging leg kickshould be the only defense before the shot. As far as sergio ramos, like i said before, he should get an assist. So i dont understand how you can say spain wasthe better team when their defense was lacking. Now if you get 29 shots and dont score 1, your offense is lacking as well. Which is credit to the US defense.
Its just like when teams complain cuz they lose because of a PK or FK. If you were that much better it wouldnt have to come down to that. Just like the gametoday. RSA threw everything at brazil and brazil held ground. Better TEAM won.

If you're talking about my comment, I am taking NOTHING away from the US. They best team DID NOT win. The best team THAT NIGHT one. Just like a commentator said yesterday...

pimp.gif

I wasnt talking about your comment. the better team DID win last nite im sorry to tell ya bud. This is coming from someone who doesnt even care about US soccer. if spain was the better team they wouldnt of given up such TERRIBLE GOALS. there is no way alitodore shouldve been so free and a swinging leg kick should be the only defense before the shot. As far as sergio ramos, like i said before, he should get an assist. So i dont understand how you can say spain was the better team when their defense was lacking. Now if you get 29 shots and dont score 1, your offense is lacking as well. Which is credit to the US defense.
Its just like when teams complain cuz they lose because of a PK or FK. If you were that much better it wouldnt have to come down to that. Just like the game today. RSA threw everything at brazil and brazil held ground. Better TEAM won.

your WHOLE paragraph talked about 1-2 mins of the 90 min game. I DO care about US soccer and I know they're not up to the level Spain is playing.You're arguing in circles. If a team is outshot 3-1, they probably didnt' have a better team. If a team defends for 40 of the 45 mins in the 2nd half,they probably weren't the better team.

anyway, you're entitled to your opinion "bud," just like I am. It was the same argument I had with the Madrid fan during the Chelsea/Barca semifinal. Anyone that read that thread knows what I'm talking about.

tongue.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Originally Posted by PrurientSole

Originally Posted by Craftsy21

USA was definitely the better side yesterday... they don't have more talent, and probably don't beat Spain more than 1 in 5 tries.. but it doesn't matter, they were better yesterday and deserved the win.

Really proud of our guys... we looked like a legitimate squad in two straight games now, not having to rely on PK's to score our goals and playing really inspired ball out there. Loved it..
pimp.gif
I watched the replay at 11:00 last night, and I can't say that I agree with you or anyone else who's saying that the US played a great match, were the better team, etc.

They capitalized on their few chances. Period. If that makes them better or more deserving in some eyes, then so be it.

They played a very good first half, probably just about as good as they're capable of playing. But the second half was absolutely abysmal.

They were pinned back in their own half of the pitch for the vast majority of the second 45. They were lunging and diving and sliding and chasing almost every ball because they were constantly behind the play or leaving men unmarked. It was typical to see 8 or 9 US players in the box, getting pelted with shots or attempting to clear amidst chaos. What exacerbated their defensive struggles was the fact that they couldn't possess the ball for more than 30 seconds once they got it back. There was no control, no build-up, no discipline. It was either full-speed ahead or knock an awful through ball, and then Spain was back on the attack 10 seconds later.

The US won, and good for them. They deserved it in the first half. I think they got pretty lucky in the second.

Anyone that can look at the stats from that game and claim that the US was the better team is delusional. Spain was bombarding their goal for 70 minutes out of 90. The US had a game plan and they executed it to perfection, with a few lucky bounces involved, but they were not close to outplaying Spain. They were in fact dominated throughout the match.
WHy would anyone look just at the stats to decide how a game was played?

The US was never going to control posession in the game, and never going to out shoot Spain... so when they got a lead, they sat back in a very defensiveformation like most intelligent teams would do... of course Spain is going to be able to throw shots at them all 2nd period, they were going balls out tryingto tie it... we don't have the counter attackers to really burn a team that does that, and so yeah - we were stuck playing emergency style defense thewhole time.

Just because we didn't win the way Spain or Brazil normally does, doesn't mean we didn't put out a quality effort... we will almost NEVER winlooking the way spain or brazil do, especially not on the stat sheet.

Get over it.

I'm as negative towards my own teams as anybody.. i'd be the last person to give team USA credit for a good game.. or at least, until i read your guyscomments I thought I was. There really is no pleasing some people i guess.

. You're arguing in circles. If a team is outshot 3-1, they probably didnt' have a better team. If a team defends for 40 of the 45 mins in the 2nd half, they probably weren't the better team.

This makes no sense... there's no need for a team leading a game to be taking a lot of shots, especially if the other team is high capable of making acomeback. So many times in a close game, the losing side will end up with more shots taken... and again, you can't justify saying a team played poorlybased on the stat sheet.. you play your opponent, not a piece of paper.

^ People are trying to take away credit from the US just because they have nothing to say. the best team won. They may be less talented but they played together especially the defense.
The best team did NOT win. Two teams - Spain & USA. USA is the best team? No, they were the better team in that game.

And better not by much since both goals were kind of a fluke anyway (Casillas was lazy on the first and the Spanish defense slept on the second). They wereopportunist goals rather than skillful goals or superior coaching. It's not about being salty as some of you NTers say or about taking anything away fromthe USA. That's just the honest truth.

USA won, but I don't know how this win, from one day to the next, is supposed to eclipse the long history of underachievement by the team or give everyonesome kind of high hopes for the coming World Cup, especially given the first two losses from the USA in this tournament.

eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
@ All the hating on the US. Get over it people. Great gameplan by ROBOBOB. Defense was solid. I think in the second half we were a little lucky, but you have to give it to the defense for solid effort they put in.Howard is one of the top goalkeppers in the world and Demerit spot in the back should be lock.
sick.gif
@ Ramos making that bone head play even though dude is one of the top 5 defendersin the world. 15 games win streak, 35 games unbeaten since 2006??? and you dudes saying it aint a big deal because of the tournament??? This could be the BETTYCROOKER CUP and it still would be a big deal because of everything Spain had riding on this game.

MARION, SOCALLUIS, AMARUGEAR, CRAFSY21, I HOPE YOU SAVOR THIS VICTORY JUST LIKE I DID. Its been a long time coming
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Let beat BRAZIL on Sunday.

GO USA!!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by IRIUS LEE HANDSOME

The best team did NOT win. Two teams - Spain & USA. USA is the best team? No, they were the better team in that game.

And better not by much since both goals were kind of a fluke anyway (Casillas was lazy on the first and the Spanish defense slept on the second). They were opportunist goals rather than skillful goals or superior coaching. It's not about being salty as some of you NTers say or about taking anything away from the USA. That's just the honest truth.

USA won, but I don't know how this win, from one day to the next, is supposed to eclipse the long history of underachievement by the team or give everyone some kind of high hopes for the coming World Cup, especially given the first two losses from the USA in this tournament.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW MANY WORLD CUPS DOES SPAIN HAVE?????? THE SAME AS THE USA 0
roll.gif

indifferent.gif
at delusional USNT fans coming out of the woodworks once again. No one is trying to discredit the win, people are simply stating the fact that the US was ontheir heels for basically 75% of the game and scored two goals that should have been saved/cleared. If you think this was a convincing victory you need to turnin your soccer fan card.

^^^ If you want to talk about underachievement SPAIN in the biggest choker in Soccer history. I think you understand men now.

indifferent.gif
at delusional USNT fans coming out of the woodworks once again. No one is trying to discredit the win, people are simply stating the fact that the US was on their heels for basically 75% of the game and scored two goals that should have been saved/cleared. If you think this was a convincing victory you need to turn in your soccer fan card.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
YOU posting your hate on the national team again??? No one is saying thatit was a convincing win. People are saying that they played hard, capitalized on their oppotunities and won. That it.

The USMNT gets more hate on these boards than KOBE or Lebron
roll.gif
roll.gif

Originally Posted by KRISPACINLA

indifferent.gif
at delusional USNT fans coming out of the woodworks once again. No one is trying to discredit the win, people are simply stating the fact that the US was on their heels for basically 75% of the game and scored two goals that should have been saved/cleared. If you think this was a convincing victory you need to turn in your soccer fan card.

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
YOU posting your hate on the national team again??? No one is saying that it was a convincing win. People are saying that they played hard, capitalized on their oppotunities and won. That it.

roll.gif
roll.gif

No, that's exactly what people are saying. Did you even read the posts above you before you posted, with people saying the US was the better team andoutplayed Spain? The hate for USNT is more about the fans. No one talks about USNT on here, and then when they upset a team once every 3 years all the fanscome out and talk about how the USNT destroyed the other team and whatnot. That's where the hate comes from. If USNT fans didn't get carried away realsoccer fans wouldn't have to put them in their place.

^^^ If you want to talk about underachievement SPAIN in the biggest choker in Soccer history. I think you understand men now.
I still don't see what point you're trying to make.

As if what you wrote somehow evens the playing field between Spain's football history and the US' soccer history.

Really, you're being nonsensical now. There's no further point for me to argue with you about this.

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
YOU posting your hate on the national team again??? No one is saying that it was a convincing win. People are saying that they played hard, capitalized on their oppotunities and won. That it.

roll.gif
roll.gif

No, that's exactly what people are saying. Did you even read the posts above you before you posted, with people saying the US was the better team and outplayed Spain? The hate for USNT is more about the fans. No one talks about USNT on here, and then when they upset a team once every 3 years all the fans come out and talk about how the USNT destroyed the other team and whatnot. That's where the hate comes from. If USNT fans didn't get carried away real soccer fans wouldn't have to put them in their place.

Seriously Stop it bro. You making yourself look like a tool. All the post I read keep saying the same thing. THE US played hard(harder then Spain??? Even thecoach said it afterward, we capitalized on the opportunities that were given by the mighty Spain and won. No one talks about the USMNT here???? If you visitthe S&T forum recently but we have a thread running on CONCACAF qualification for the WC where we TALK a lot about the USMNT. Listen man, I been followingthe national team since I was 12. When we lose, I dont sugarcoated, I get mad upset and rip into them. Go the beginning of thread and see a couple posts whereI rip on the team and ROBOBOB(coach) earlier in the tournament.

DC1323 wrote:
Dat Exclusive Cat wrote:

pimp.gif

I wasnt talking about your comment. the better team DID win last nite im sorry to tell ya bud. This is coming from someone who doesnt even care about US soccer. if spain was the better team they wouldnt of given up such TERRIBLE GOALS. there is no way alitodore shouldve been so free and a swinging leg kick should be the only defense before the shot. As far as sergio ramos, like i said before, he should get an assist. So i dont understand how you can say spain was the better team when their defense was lacking. Now if you get 29 shots and dont score 1, your offense is lacking as well. Which is credit to the US defense.
Its just like when teams complain cuz they lose because of a PK or FK. If you were that much better it wouldnt have to come down to that. Just like the game today. RSA threw everything at brazil and brazil held ground. Better TEAM won.

your WHOLE paragraph talked about 1-2 mins of the 90 min game. I DO care about US soccer and I know they're not up to the level Spain is playing. You're arguing in circles. If a team is outshot 3-1, they probably didnt' have a better team. If a team defends for 40 of the 45 mins in the 2nd half, they probably weren't the better team.

anyway, you're entitled to your opinion "bud," just like I am. It was the same argument I had with the Madrid fan during the Chelsea/Barca semi final. Anyone that read that thread knows what I'm talking about.

tongue.gif

I see whats youre saying DC. The better team did NOT win on that night. Like Casiallas said 9 out 10 times you play the way Spain played that night you win...yesterday it was just one of those nights they didn't. The US played a very defensive minded and counter attacking game, and tactically was just the betterteam. Im not taking anything away from that win by any means. With that said Spain are where the US want to be. Good win for the American futbol.

For losing in the Confed Cup?
laugh.gif

indifferent.gif

indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif

roll.gif
roll.gif

No, that's exactly what people are saying. Did you even read the posts above you before you posted, with people saying the US was the better team and outplayed Spain? The hate for USNT is more about the fans. No one talks about USNT on here, and then when they upset a team once every 3 years all the fans come out and talk about how the USNT destroyed the other team and whatnot. That's where the hate comes from. If USNT fans didn't get carried away real soccer fans wouldn't have to put them in their place.
Nobody is saying we destroyed them.. we capitalized on what was given to us, Spain didn't... doesn't that make us the better side thatnight?
grin.gif

What's funny is that if all the stats were switched around, nobody would be saying US was superior.. they'd be crediting Spain for protecting theirlead after scoring on a few chances given by the US.

The US would be criticized and poked fun at no matter what they did in that game - if Spain wins a game the same way we did, it's just a great team takingadvantage of opportunities and playing great defense.. when the US does it, it's lucky.

I think I'll take the few delusional US fans over the constant haters like yourself.

^^^^No. For never winning a WC in their so called rich soccer history ahahah!
Spain has never been to a WC final.... this is their first run as number 1 ranked in the world... I dont see where they have chocked in historybecause they have never really been considered a favorite to win anything except late in the Euro 08 (which they won), and this Confed Cup. I you want to talkabout chokers look at how many times Germany has lost the WC final.
Spain does have a strong and rich soccer history nationally with Barca and Real always contending and winning in EU.

again with the elitist soccer nonsense on this board..."real soccer fans?" to think that if one follows the USNT they could never fullyappreciate the beautiful game....no one ever said the US was better than Spain, no one ever said they destroyed anyone...its just whenever somebody hassomething good to say about the USNT, its some people that always have to come in downplay what happened..the United States just beat a team that hadnt lost in35 matches...maybe the US doesnt even get a result if they played 10 more against them, but thats not what we're talking about...they for one game, wentout and executed their strategy to perfection...yeah they were outplayed for most of the match, Spain was always going to have the greater possession...thatsthe case for 95% of teams they're going to play, even against teams much better than the US...so they outshot us29 to 9, at the end of the day there's only one statistic that matters, and the US came out on top...it was not pretty, it was not a particularly a greatbrand of soccer but it was beautiful all the while...i could care less if their perfomance doesn't please soccer purists, i will take the heart and passionthey played with anyday, regardless of the outcome

Originally Posted by elevenairs

again with the elitist soccer nonsense on this board..."real soccer fans?" to think that if one follows the USNT they could never fully appreciate the beautiful game....no one ever said the US was better than Spain, no one ever said they destroyed anyone...its just whenever somebody has something good to say about the USNT, its some people that always have to come in downplay what happened..the United States just beat a team that hadnt lost in 35 matches...maybe the US doesnt even get a result if they played 10 more against them, but thats not what we're talking about...they for one game, went out and executed their strategy to perfection...yeah they were outplayed for most of the match, Spain was always going to have the greater possession...thats the case for 95% of teams they're going to play, even against teams much better than the US...so they outshot us 29 to 9, at the end of the day there's only one statistic that matters, and the US came out on top...it was not pretty, it was not a particularly a great brand of soccer but it was beautiful all the while...i could care less if their perfomance doesn't please soccer purists, i will take the heart and passion they played with anyday, regardless of the outcome

well said...

I don't understand the hate from some posters here. I don't think any of the US supporters have been over the top with this victory. The quotes thatposters keep quoting for example " The US shocked the world", are from 3rd party posters who don't support the US.

The us won because of there hustle and persistence, that goes along way.

I agree with the poster that said, "Demirit has locked a spot."

Spain has a rich soccer history because of the Liga, but as far as there national teams have never full filled its expectations. Except EURO 2008.

I really want to win to the confederations cup. In hopes of better seeding for next years tourney, and to add a non-concacaf trophy in ourmantel.

Back
Top Bottom