laugh.gif
indifferent.gif
indifferent.gif
at spain tho. If Brasil lose
frown.gif
frown.gif

First off, props to the U.S. 2 shots on target and both of them went in
eek.gif
It'll be hard to find as good of a team defensive performance as the U.S. displayed today. Dudes were blocking shots as if it was the Stanley Cupplayoffs
laugh.gif
Tim Howard is a very good keeper, he's always been goodand he was the Man of the Match today.

As for Spain, it was a very tough loss. They dominated the match but the U.S. defence was superb. The US gave Spain both wings but clogged up the middle of thebox giving Spain very little room to take good shots on net. The first U.S. goal was an unlucky bounce that came to Jozy who just overpowered his defender andgot off a strong shot on net...Casillas should've stopped it though. The 2nd goal illustrates how ******ed Sergio Ramos can be on the defensive end, he putthat ball on a silver platter for Demspey. They teach 5-year-old kids to kick the freakin ball out when then it is in their defensive end, I have no idea whatRamos was thinking.

I dont think Spain needed to make any changes when they were down 1-0, they were playing great and just needed one opening to equalize. I dont understand whyCazorla was put on, dude has been crap all tourny while Fabregas was helping Spain maintain possession. Riera also played well but for some reason Del Bosquedecided to take him out. If its any consolation for Spain fans, Del Bosque's coaching decisions had little impact on this match.

Oh yeah, one thing Spain did that drove me crazy was taking soooooooooo many short corner-kicks. Wouldn't they have better odds of scoring by launching itinto the middle and hoping for a header or lucky deflection into the U.S. goal than just trying to walk it into the net? Spain wasted so many opportunities topressure the U.S. by trying to improvise on corners.

Oh yeah, one thing Spain did that drove me crazy was taking soooooooooo many short corner-kicks. Wouldn't they have better odds of scoring by launching it into the middle and hoping for a header or lucky deflection into the U.S. goal than just trying to walk it into the net? Spain wasted so many opportunities to pressure the U.S. by trying to improvise on corners.

I think this is related to your earlier point, that the US was clogging the middle and giving Spain the wings. They did this because Spain has an aerialweakness at the front. Torres can't really muscle anyone away for a header, and David Villa is much more of a ground player. Their entire front line ispretty limited in the air. Especially with Onyewu in there on corners, I think they felt that their best bet was to use their technical skill and passing toscore through their ground game. This failed because of their inaccuracy in shooting and a couple of good saves from Howard. Villa failed to put a 100% onframe, Torres should've done better when he beat Bocanegra and shot low on Howard. Howard's best save was on Villa's outswinger that was headed forthe post.

Where is that even from?

It wouldn't have been 36-0 even in the case of a win, it would have been 36 undefeated games which included several draws. So whoever drew that up deservesa big
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Where is that even from?

It wouldn't have been 36-0 even in the case of a win, it would have been 36 undefeated games which included several draws. So whoever drew that up deserves a big
indifferent.gif

Relax man, It's a parody of the Patriots 19-0 book.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Originally Posted by rockforlight

NikeTalker23 wrote:

Mexico beat Brazil in the 05 confederations, and won it in 99 by beating Brazil. Can the US do it this time?
laugh.gif
You are one bitter @%# kid.

I support the Mexican team 100% , but today was an absolute masterpiece by the U.S. The played their hearts out.

A "masterpiece" it was not. Spain beat themselves more than the US won. They capitalized on Spain's mistakes but were easily outplayed. Spain just couldn't capitalize.

how did spain beat themselves? the U.S. defense was stellar, they were getting a foot in or blocking most of the shots spain took and the ones that did get byTim Howard stopped them, and through the air it was the same thing, every U.S. player was going for the ball and clearing it out...

Originally Posted by deepinthajeep

Originally Posted by JaFlash

ERASCISM wrote:

Fuser86 wrote:

hopefully this gets soccer on the map in this country.
2002 called... not gonna happen, they said.

Btw... does anyone follow the WPS? That's my ****!

I actually watched a WPS game and it was decent.
me too!!

i just watch it if Solo, Mitts, Lloyd, or Amy Rodriguez are playing...but martha is a *$!#%!# beast.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by rockforlight

NikeTalker23 wrote:

Mexico beat Brazil in the 05 confederations, and won it in 99 by beating Brazil. Can the US do it this time?
laugh.gif

I support the Mexican team 100% , but today was an absolute masterpiece by the U.S. The played their hearts out.

A "masterpiece" it was not. Spain beat themselves more than the US won. They capitalized on Spain's mistakes but were easily outplayed. Spain just couldn't capitalize.

how did spain beat themselves? the U.S. defense was stellar, they were getting a foot in or blocking most of the shots spain took and the ones that did get by Tim Howard stopped them, and through the air it was the same thing, every U.S. player was going for the ball and clearing it out...
By making two amateurish mistakes. The first goal was not a good shot. Casillas should have had that but he messed up. The 2nd goal was anotherrec league mistake.

marionthebarberian wrote:

NikeTalker23 wrote:

rockforlight wrote:

NikeTalker23 wrote:

laugh.gif

how did spain beat themselves? the U.S. defense was stellar, they were getting a foot in or blocking most of the shots spain took and the ones that did get by Tim Howard stopped them, and through the air it was the same thing, every U.S. player was going for the ball and clearing it out...
By making two amateurish mistakes. The first goal was not a good shot. Casillas should have had that but he messed up. The 2nd goal was another rec league mistake.

Chill with the cynical banter. Altidore beat his defender and almost beat Casillas, who still managed to put a hand on the ball, not enough of a touch sincethe ball still ended up in the goal. Ramos isn't as stellar on defense as he is on offense, he made a blunder and Dempsey capitalized. Had Spector donewhat Ramos did, it would be "stupid US defender gives Spain goal."

A lot of people keep saying, it's not a major tourney, that it's just a warm up. Yes I think they USNT fans who are well versed in soccer understandthis but these teams still brought over their A-list squads(sparing a few players here and there) and these guys will still play for pride. And the US did beatthe number one team in the world. US soccer isn't looked at as the standard of world class soccer but this is still a major win for them and their fans. Sofans and followers of better soccer team nations, give us a break.

how come when the US loses its always because the other team was so superior to them but whenever they win its like "well the other team made mistakes,the US were still outplayed, the US got lucky"..like the fate of the match was in no way determined by the US team even being on the pitch

that $#!% is irritating

is it that hard to believe the US was simply the better team on that given day

no matter how good they play, and they played excellent defensively yesterday, it always get downplayed and chalked up to a bad performance by the other team

dont get me wrong, i follow more than enough world football to know where the US stands, but this is getting ridiculous

Chill with the cynical banter. Altidore beat his defender and almost beat Casillas, who still managed to put a hand on the ball, not enough of a touch since the ball still ended up in the goal.

Noone is saying anything against his move against the defender. That was awesome. The shot however was weak.. Not weak in that sense, it was powerful, but itwas right at Casillas. That was a goalkeeping blunder, no doubt about it. Had it been just a foot more to the side, Casillas could've been excused, but itwas right at him.

Ramos isn't as stellar on defense as he is on offense, he made a blunder and Dempsey capitalized. Had Spector done what Ramos did, it would be "stupid US defender gives Spain goal."

But of course he would.
laugh.gif
You're just saying the obvious now. It doesn't matter who did what Ramos did, he should still be called stupid for givinga goal like that. Had it been a prime Beckenbauer who did that instead of Ramos, it would still be "stupid prime Beckenbauer gives U.S. goal."

Not taking anything away from the U.S., both goals were 100% legit, but you're kidding yourself if you think both goals could've easily been avoided ifCasillas and Ramos didn't screw up.

Originally Posted by KingJames23

I think most fans worldwide will assume that Spain didn't care too much about this game, whether or not that's fair.

gifbinhatersgonnahate.gif

indifferent.gif
If you think the world is looking at this game as a huge statement from the USNT you're delusional. They beat Spain in a warm-up cup. For the USNT, this is a huge accomplishment and deserves celebration, especially after their displays against Italy and Brasil. But in the big picture, this doesn't create too many ripples in the soccer world.
You're saying people will think Spain didn't care but that simply isn't the case. They'll just say that to not give the UScredit. Spain played their top side, going for an all-time record. They had something to play for. Is this going to change the landscape of world soccer? Absolutely not but it is a sign of intent and the US isn't as far behind the world's elite as many of the haters want people to believe.

There is a difference between pimping this win as the greatest in soccer history and saying that the US should be given credit for beating the #1 team in theworld who were indeed playing for something versus writing it off as a disinterested Spain team giving the US the win.

Maybe Altidore got the goalie leaning and finished like he should of. oh wait no spain let him have that goal, nevermind

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Maybe Altidore got the goalie leaning and finished like he should of. oh wait no spain let him have that goal, nevermind
laugh.gif

i love it. we got embarrassed by italy when we lost the game only after going down a man...but we beat spain and shut them out and it's no big deal becausespain "gave" us the game

DUDE the 99 Confederations cup was mediocre at best. Brazil took their D squad to that tournament. Everybody knows the Confederations Cup before the World Cup is the best...all the others are a waste of time. Plus the Confed Cup that year was in Mexico. The Confed Cup this year is in S. Africa not in Columbus Ohio

I just want to say %+*$ you to all the haters. Everyone from Spain has given us credit for our stellar defense and for taking advantage of the 2 biggestchances we had. If Jozy wouldn't have scored that then we would have scored some other way yesterday. Mexico NT supporters are just jealous cause our teamplayed with balls and heart while their stupid %*% players continue to be a bunch of divas and THINK they are still superior. Even the Mexican press says wedeserve the win. GTFOWTBS haters, the US was the better team yesterday.

I thought both US goals were deserved.

The first goal was set up perfectly by Altidore and although the finish was not world class, he put himself in a situation where he was alone at the top of thebox.

It is not like he was shooting from a bad angle. He could shoot left or right.

Casillas thought he was going to his left and was caught leaning.

As for the second goal, sure the bad touch by Ramos let Dempsey score but why was the ball in the box in the first place.

Spain was pressing because they were down a goal, and Benny Feilhaber started cutting up their D before passing to a wide open Landon Donovan on the wing.

Landon sent a low cross around the 6yd box which was deflected by Pique before the bad touch by Ramos.

Give credit to the US counter for putting the pressure on Spain to make a play.

Spain put Pressure on the US Defense damn near the entire game and the US D didn't budge.

The US put pressure on the Spain Defense and they cracked.

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

laugh.gif

i love it. we got embarrassed by italy when we lost the game only after going down a man...but we beat spain and shut them out and it's no big deal because spain "gave" us the game

Typical... you know how people are, they never want to give credit to something they didn't believe in or predict.

USA was definitely the better side yesterday... they don't have more talent, and probably don't beat Spain more than 1 in 5 tries.. but it doesn'tmatter, they were better yesterday and deserved the win.

Really proud of our guys... we looked like a legitimate squad in two straight games now, not having to rely on PK's to score our goals and playing reallyinspired ball out there. Loved it..
pimp.gif

^ word craftsy.

and i know people hate on gooch for not having skill and just being big and good in the air. but yesterday, he made some great clears/blocks. he didn'talways clear it where you'd like...but he got the ball out of harms way...unlike numero quince on the spanish side (won't name him cause im actually afan of him
laugh.gif
)

and overall i loved how our guys were working to block so many shots. always a good thing to have.

Originally Posted by elevenairs

how come when the US loses its always because the other team was so superior to them but whenever they win its like "well the other team made mistakes, the US were still outplayed, the US got lucky"..like the fate of the match was in no way determined by the US team even being on the pitch

that $#!% is irritating

is it that hard to believe the US was simply the better team on that given day

no matter how good they play, and they played excellent defensively yesterday, it always get downplayed and chalked up to a bad performance by the other team

dont get me wrong, i follow more than enough world football to know where the US stands, but this is getting ridiculous

EXACTLY! The USMNT is slowly getting to where they need to be. As soon as the MLS gets a little more established as one of the better leagues in the world,everything will start falling into place.

Like I said before, Spain was the better team that night, but US finished their chances. For that reason, US will be playing this weekend. Simple as that.

USA! USA! USA!
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom