FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 in South Africa

Props to the US.. I thought Gooch was going to get worked but he held his own. Either way, Spain has to be disappointed in their effort today, they finish anyof their chances. Howard played well too. We'll see how they do in the final.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

3-0 Spain
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Menacin Methods

Originally Posted by RetroBaller

Originally Posted by Menacin Methods

Originally Posted by Fuser86

It is a great joy to have the U.S. advance to the finals. This is a great feeling. Easily comparable to a Lakers championship win.
OKAY!
You know soccer is a pretty big sport. US doing anything worldwide>anything the lakers could do in the NBA
I do know soccer is a big sport. Ive been following soccer since 96 (AC Milan)
But you can't compare a NBA Championship to a game in the Confederations Cup.........it doesn't make sense.
Who the hell is gonna remember US winning this game if they don't beat Brazil/South Africa ??

I'm a huge Lakers fan but winning against this team means the world right now. It ranks with beating Mexico, and Portugal in the 2002 wc.

Feeling great right now, as good as when the Dodgers won a playoff series last year.
pimp.gif

Err this game really doesn't mean that much. Confederations cup isn't really respected, it's not like it's the World Cup or European Cup. Ifthe USA had won the final then yeah it would be remembered for a while, but it's only a semi.

Everyone knows Greece won the Euro cup in 2004, and for Greeks they won't forget it, but most people when think about this then think how they'reterrible at the moment. You're only as good as your last game.

Originally Posted by Backirvine

Err this game really doesn't mean that much. Confederations cup isn't really respected, it's not like it's the World Cup or European Cup. If the USA had won the final then yeah it would be remembered for a while, but it's only a semi.

If the USA win the final then yes it will be remembered a bit, but not that much. I mean everyone knows Greece won the Euro cup in 2004 but they remember more how they're terrible at the moment. You're only as good as your last game.

but we beat the best team in the world.

Originally Posted by socluis90

Originally Posted by AirJordanSeattle23

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Originally Posted by AirJordanSeattle23

glad to see the usa won. didn't think they would. going to be honest/realistic though when i say it was prob luck. not hating

luck? did you see how stellar our defense played? and not just through the air but also on the ground.

who was saying that Gooch was going to get worked?

MOTHA #!%* THE HATERS..

ill will surely post my thoughts in a bit after I calm down a bit and after i get back from my uncles job wearing my U.S. jersey, diddy boppin through the warehouse while also stuntin on all the mexicans.
dude i stated i wasn't hating but being realistic.
goood..great,....fantastic win for usa. all i was saying was that it was a lucky win...as in if usa played that team 10 times they wqould prob lose 7 or 8 times. im not a hater. i love my country. just being level headed. you prob dont watch much football/sopccer if you believe otherwise.

no offense but you hardcore usa supporters get emo way to easy. take a chill pill. this is a discussion board afterall. people will give their oppinions.

Let us enjoy our win and come back tomorrow with this realistic talk. Not cool
im not breaking up your good mood. as said im glad usa won as well. i just still think it was a lucky win. as in you probably caught spain on abad day. lets be honest usa doesn't get a ton of wins against top european sides. that friendly against germany prior to the 06 wc comes to mind..

I'll state it AGAIN for those that dont get it. im GLAD usa won. im just being somewhat realistic here. i sincerely hope usa has a similiar showing againstbrazil/south africa. sorry if i hit a nerve.

Two points:

-As much as I've hated on USNT before, if someone calls this win lucky they should also call every game Italy has ever won lucky. USNT played their #*%#@off on defense, and capitalized on a couple of counters. That was their strategy, as it should have been against a clearly superior team, and it worked.

-People are getting overly-excited about this. The Confederations Cup is something like an exhibition tournament in world soccer. It's not totallyirrelevant, but it's really not something that soccer fans worldwide are checking for. USNT wins over Mexico, Portugal, and Columbia in the WC are MUCHbigger than this.

For you guys saying that Confed Cup isn't that big, yeah I totally agree but the result is one of the biggest in US history so let the fans celebrate. Idon't see a bunch of US fans proclaiming the US as 2010 world cup champions or even saying that the US will win this tournament. That I would consideroverreacting.

Originally Posted by marionthebarberian

Backirvine said:
Err this game really doesn't mean that much. Confederations cup isn't really respected, it's not like it's the World Cup or European Cup. If the USA had won the final then yeah it would be remembered for a while, but it's only a semi.

If the USA win the final then yes it will be remembered a bit, but not that much. I mean everyone knows Greece won the Euro cup in 2004 but they remember more how they're terrible at the moment. You're only as good as your last game.

but we beat the best team in the world.

This is what I dont get? All these accolades and props Spain was receiving and now it's being downplayed as not meaning much for the US.
The win is great, Spain is a great team, it advances us to the final. All that is good if you're a US fan. Whats great however, is seeing these guyscompete and step up..showing the passion that they clearly didnt have in the first two matches. Its helping their confidence tremendously.
lets be honest usa doesn't get a ton of wins against top european sides.

Exactly. So to say we caught Spain on a bad day.....Aint nobody trying to hear that. We all know this. We'll take the win. *cue the theme song: Cant tellme nothing.

Originally Posted by Backirvine

Everyone knows Greece won the Euro cup in 2004, and for Greeks they won't forget it, but most people when think about this then think how they're terrible at the moment. You're only as good as your last game.
Yep

Originally Posted by rothypejc

For you guys saying that Confed Cup isn't that big, yeah I totally agree but the result is one of the biggest in US history so let the fans celebrate. I don't see a bunch of US fans proclaiming the US as 2010 world cup champions or even saying that the US will win this tournament.

I think USNT fans should absolutely celebrate, but talks of this game "shocking the world" and whatnot are way too much IMO. I think most fansworldwide will assume that Spain didn't care too much about this game, whether or not that's fair.

smh.gif
at that red card Bradley got. !%* was that.
but Onyewu and the rest of the D was money today in the second half.
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

Two points:

-As much as I've hated on USNT before, if someone calls this win lucky they should also call every game Italy has ever won lucky. USNT played their #*%#@ off on defense, and capitalized on a couple of counters. That was their strategy, as it should have been against a clearly superior team, and it worked.

-People are getting overly-excited about this. The Confederations Cup is something like an exhibition tournament in world soccer. It's not totally irrelevant, but it's really not something that soccer fans worldwide are checking for. USNT wins over Mexico, Portugal, and Columbia in the WC are MUCH bigger than this.
i hate the azurri as much as the next guy. i would say some of their key wins in the last 4 years were lucky. australia, france, etc. they havehad alot of big legit wins in the past though. they DESTROYED west germany in the 82' wc final.

For you guys saying that Confed Cup isn't that big, yeah I totally agree but the result is one of the biggest in US history so let the fans celebrate. I don't see a bunch of US fans proclaiming the US as 2010 world cup champions or even saying that the US will win this tournament.

I think USNT fans should absolutely celebrate, but talks of this game "shocking the world" and whatnot are way too much IMO. I think most fans worldwide will assume that Spain didn't care too much about this game, whether or not that's fair.

They took their A team and seemed to really care about not losing their unbeaten streak. Sorry not buying it.

I think USNT fans should absolutely celebrate, but talks of this game "shocking the world" and whatnot are way too much IMO. I think most fans worldwide will assume that Spain didn't care too much about this game, whether or not that's fair.
I just went through the last couple pages and the comments seem level-headed to me.

yeah i hate u.s. soccer, but its a huge win...you guys need to be excited about it. you took out the defending euro champs that are playing in their best formever.

pretty sure i called the clint dempsey goal like 5 pages before it happend lol.

indifferent.gif
To all the butt hurt spain fans on this forum saying thisdidn't mean anything. Spain had their best players playing and had 30 shots, they USMNT hussled and made sure they got infront of every one. Spainexpectations where to win this thing easy, and the united states weren't even mentioned in the same breathe as Spain. The US came out against ALL odds andgave a great effort, Spain did too, they just made a couple mental mistakes that turned into US goals, other than that they were attacking most of the game.USMNT DID shock the world today, nobody gave them a shot to win and they did, it's that simple. This win gives a glimmer of hope to all the USMNT fans thatthey can do something in 2010. I root for USMNT and Brazil and will be torn if they play in the final. Nobody gave them hope and they did it. Im proud of theUSMNT
pimp.gif

indifferent.gif
This probably won't even lead Sports Center tomorrow. Insteadit will be Brett Favre.
eyes.gif

Originally Posted by Otis Dont Play That

indifferent.gif
To all the butt hurt spain fans on this forum saying this didn't mean anything. Spain had their best players playing and had 30 shots, they USMNT hussled and made sure they got infront of every one. Spain expectations where to win this thing easy, and the united states weren't even mentioned in the same breathe as Spain. The US came out against ALL odds and gave a great effort, Spain did too, they just made a couple mental mistakes that turned into US goals, other than that they were attacking most of the game. USMNT DID shock the world today, nobody gave them a shot to win and they did, it's that simple. This win gives a glimmer of hope to all the USMNT fans that they can do something in 2010. I root for USMNT and Brazil and will be torn if they play in the final. Nobody gave them hope and they did it. Im proud of the USMNT
pimp.gif

indifferent.gif
This probably won't even lead Sports Center tomorrow. Instead it will be Brett Favre.
eyes.gif
Im sorry dude.... Team Barca FTW but I cant agree with these 2 parts.

Let me rephrase that......Spain didn't execute and their coach didn't play the right players. Subing Cesc
indifferent.gif
not putting in Silva
indifferent.gif

Team Barca FTW!!!!!

can anyone confirm that they discussed the game on 106 and park?? lol wth??

" Ayo this is Terrence, The USMNT beat Spain today in the World c.....Confe what? Well this is your number 10 Video"

Back
Top Bottom