FIFA Confederations Cup 2009 in South Africa

*insert foot in mouth*

man I thought we were a bunch of bums,
smh.gif
I guess I was wrong... crazy win for US... I didn't see the whole game though, only saw 20 minutes of it durringmy lunch break, second goal and the bogus red card...
smh.gif

Originally Posted by GTownBaller23

Originally Posted by Otis Dont Play That

indifferent.gif
This probably won't even lead Sports Center tomorrow. Instead it will be Brett Favre.
eyes.gif

Yeah, probably not.
ohwell.gif
They led off with it on Sportscenter, which was good, but the first thing on "The Lead" on the bottom line was Sharapova being bouncedform Wimbledon
smh.gif
smh.gif
smh.gif

Originally Posted by Otis Dont Play That

Let me rephrase that......Spain didn't execute and their coach didn't play the right players. Subing Cesc
indifferent.gif
not putting in Silva
indifferent.gif

Team Barca FTW!!!!!
Basically..... I would have loved to see a healthy Iniesta (Xavi 2.0) and Marcos Senna (the facilitator).

just saw the first goal... good move but altidore got lucky with his shot..... but what ever, it counted...

This game meant very much for Spain.
It was a tournament knockout game and holds more value than group play or a friendly,
also a win would give them the longest unbeaten streak.

Spain wanted to win and thought it would come easy.
US came to play and took advantage of their opportunities while Spain did not.

My short game breakdown

First, US was clearly the better team the first 10 minutes as they came out strong and seemed to catch Spain off-guard.
At that time, I thought they needed to take advantage of one of those chances if they were going to win.

After the Altidore goal, Spain dominated but the US defense was able to hold out and seemed content to preserve the lead heading into the half.

Spain came out in the second half pressing hard looking for the equalizer, but the US defense atlhough appearing to be gassed, somehow kept holding Spain offthe board.
It looked like a matter of minutes before Spain would break through.

Feilhaber came in for Davies and shortly after sparks the offense with his penetration and Dempsey takes advantage of the poor Spain Defense.
This goal was huge for the US and it seemed to give the US defense their second wind.

Spain continued what they had done the whole match and the US defense did the same.

As for the US, they beat the number one ranked team with the longest winning and unbeaten streak in a (knockout) tournament setting.
It would be a huge win if they had beaten them in a group play situation but a knockout stage win is on a whole different level.

It was not a win at home where they always play pretty well against top teams.
Although it was not a road game, it is still very big progress for them to get such a result on a neutral site.

They still have a long way to go as they have been very inconsistent.
US still needs to learn how to beat lesser teams on the road and hopefully this game helps them.

Spain should be fine when they get back Iniesta. He would have really helped the spanish side today.
It is better for them to get the kick in the face now rather than at the World Cup.

Brave performance by USMNT. They played the best and beat the best, you can finally say.

I hope the offers from European clubs start pouring in now. That's the best thing about this tournament and matches such as this. I remember Salcido from Mexico had that incredible run and goal versus Argentina in the last Confed Cup and PSV signed him later that summer. Maybe someone like Feilhaber can get another crack at a top flight club.

Mexico beat Brazil in the 05 confederations, and won it in 99 by beating Brazil. Can the US do it this time?

pimp.gif

Wow...

My heart is still very full right now.

I cannot stop smiling!!!!

THIS is why soccer is amazing. 1 more match to go!!

I missed the whole tournament including this game but at least I know this team showed resiliency. Hopefully Brazil wins so we can face another top opponent.

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

Mexico beat Brazil in the 05 confederations, and won it in 99 by beating Brazil. Can the US do it this time?
laugh.gif
You are one bitter @%# kid.
I support the Mexican team 100% , but today was an absolute masterpiece by the U.S. The played their hearts out.

Originally Posted by rockforlight

Originally Posted by NikeTalker23

laugh.gif
You are one bitter @%# kid.
I support the Mexican team 100% , but today was an absolute masterpiece by the U.S. The played their hearts out.

A "masterpiece" it was not. Spain beat themselves more than the US won. They capitalized on Spain's mistakes but were easily outplayed. Spainjust couldn't capitalize.

^ it was not a masterpiece although it was a great game for any US soccer fan! Altidore is nice and only going to get better.

Instant Classic! Replay is almost over right now.

As far as the Confederations cup, I can recall that game in which Mexico beat Brazil in the Final at Azteca 4-3. What a great game that was.

I was pissed though when Brazil won in 2005 because Argentina had been in top form and clear best team of the tourney but Brazil showed up and demolishedArgentina 4-1. Pablo Aimar header...lol...what happen to him, same with el conejito Saviola.

I like our chances in the final though. Congrats to US soccer, hopefully this gets soccer on the map in this country.

Originally Posted by Fuser86

hopefully this gets soccer on the map in this country.
2002 called... not gonna happen, they said.

Btw... does anyone follow the WPS? That's my ****!

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Originally Posted by PersiaFly

I think most fans worldwide will assume that Spain didn't care too much about this game, whether or not that's fair.

gifbinhatersgonnahate.gif

indifferent.gif
If you think the world is looking at this game as a huge statement from the USNT you're delusional. They beat Spain in a warm-up cup. For the USNT, thisis a huge accomplishment and deserves celebration, especially after their displays against Italy and Brasil. But in the big picture, this doesn't createtoo many ripples in the soccer world.

Originally Posted by ERASCISM

Originally Posted by Fuser86

hopefully this gets soccer on the map in this country.
2002 called... not gonna happen, they said.

Btw... does anyone follow the WPS? That's my ****!

I actually watched a WPS game and it was decent.

Back
Top Bottom