Feb 6 - School apologizes for black history lunch menu vol. Annual Black History Month Faux Pas

I NEVER had any idea that there was so much behind this stereotype (Which apparently isn't true) that you guys get so offended about. Why the hell would I go around searching up the history about it.
So what are you saying?

that I never knew there was a deeper meaning to the stereotype of black people and fried chicken. Now feel free to keep reading my posts and only acknowledging certain parts of it when it's convenient to you.

It's not my fault if I'm ignorant so I shouldn't have to do anything about it
not true.

and yes, I know you will attempt to turn this on me and state how that's what I'm saying, but it's not.
You were admittedly uninformed with respect to this stereotype, knowing only that it was offensive with little idea as to why.  At one point, you sought to correct that ignorance - but not enough to do anything whatsoever on your own, save for asking someone else to explain it to you.

Now you're basically just saying "it doesn't matter, pull yourself up by your bootstraps.  I was ignorant because I'm non-racist."  

So... what DO you see as your responsibility?  If it isn't offensive to YOU (or if you can find at least one person of color who isn't bothered by it) the offense it causes to others is therefore "imagined" or exaggerated?  A product of "over-sensitivity?"  That just adds insult to injury.  It means, in effect, that you get to define what someone else considers offensive.

Personally, I find the mock-colorblindness attitude rather unctuous.  It's often just a way of saying "I don't want to deal with the legacy of racism because it isn't my fault."  Well, everyone else has to deal with the legacy of racism and that isn't their fault.  

I don't get to call myself "gender-blind" just because I could argue that MY gender hasn't prevented ME from succeeding in life, and that I don't bear women any particular malice.  (Or because some of my best friends are women.)

To be colorblind, in this sense, is merely to be blind to the problems of color.   

It's a supreme privilege to be able to walk through this society and feel as though race doesn't matter.  "Shouldn't" and "doesn't" are two very different things.  As a matter of course, millions of parents have to teach their children about racism (and what IS) simply to brace them for survival in America.  As a parent, you have every right to be outraged when your children are subject to indignities great and small at the hands of a society that fancies itself enlightened.  We have the right to be outraged as citizens, period, whether a particular incident directly impacts us or not.  Acknowledging racism as an injustice isn't an "excuse."  If you think otherwise, you'd better revise your self-professed "non-racism." 

Let's not confuse "non-intereference with racism" as "non-racist."  

If you oppose racism in any meaningful way, shouldn't you at least take the initiative to learn about it?  

This was a great opportunity.  You saw a source of outrage you didn't understand.  You wondered why that was.  Fine so far - but then, instead of making an effort to understand, you wanted someone else to make the effort for you.  

And even when it was explained to you that there's a very good REASON why this is offensive, you still managed to say, in effect, "Oh, well none of that matters.  You should spend less time worrying about that and more time succeeding."  

To this, I'd ask you to define success.  I don't consider "success" to be exclusively individual.  I'd feel more successful if my existence didn't just mean that MY kids had a better life, but if it also meant that YOUR kids would have a better life.  You can be successful as a person AND fight for a more just and equitable society.  In fact, I'm not so sure you can be deemed successful if you DON'T.  

Meth, I think you're going a little too deep into this.

Educate ourselves? Hell, my school couldn't educate me on this. The few black people that I know personally sure as hell couldn't tell me about any of this information I've learned. The few supremacists and good 'ole boys I know couldn't tell me about this. You want me to educate myself on FRIED CHICKEN AND WATERMELON? Go educate yourself on Oatmeal. I NEVER had any idea that there was so much behind this stereotype (Which apparently isn't true) that you guys get so offended about. Why the hell would I go around searching up the history about it. In my non racist mind I believed it was just another stupid stereotype, just like the ones every other minority has.

No need for you to be looking down on us. I guarantee you half of the black community doesn't know the background behind this. And to those that do and don't get offended, my hats off to you. I believe that's the way it should be. Why are you going to allow some small, untrue stereotype to get to you.

and before I get banned for "supporting a racial slur/stereotype" or whatever you want to call it, it should be like that for every race. Beat your bad stereotypes and do something in life.

Look at you smh...How can you guarantee half the black community doesn't know the background behind this when there were plenty of ppl in this thread alone that informed you, myself included. Ignorance of the law doesn't get ppl off from jail, just like ignorance of stereotypes doesn't exclude you from being labeled prejudiced, especially with how insensitive and condescending your posts are coming off as.

Stop taking it at face value, like we are just disgusted by the Chicken and Watermelon itself, like we're tryna eliminate all Chicken and Watermelon from the Earth. It's the memories and history attached with it that we're disgusted by. Like Meth said, pick up a book, educate yourself. I'm sure you're educated in the background of the N word and I'm even more sure that you use it in the privacy of your home (seeing as how you're a Dom Kennedy fan), and they almost go hand in hand. A slur is a slur, might as well know the history of em all

plenty of good points to be made in here if they weren't delivered in such a condescending manner.
eyes.gif

as i have said there are lots of people who dont know why its racist and dont put the effort into educating themselves, yes you can see this as their faults and that they are contributing to racism and throw a tantrum, write essays online about how its their job to find information out on their own. but how does that help the problem? thats just you getting mad, calling someone a racist over something they dont fully understand which causes the "racists" to get defensive and nothing can get accomplished. 

people come from different cultures and backgrounds, there is no reason to expect everyone to understand and know the history of your culture just like i dont expect you to understand and know the history of my culture and when misunderstandings like this happen people say things that come off as ignorant and offensive. do i blame others for not knowing about the culture i come from and saying ignorant things to me because of it? why would i? they were never taught anything about my culture so it would be irrational and a huge waste of energy to throw a fit over something someone doesnt know.

be honest with yourself, do you really think most white kids care enough about the stereotype to go look it up online and find out the true meaning of it? just like how if a black person somehow offends an asian, in most cases he/she doesnt care enough to look that stereotype up and instead just keep it moving

if someone offends me unintentionally im going to try and explain to them why what they said was offensive and if i can tell that they dont care than i keep it moving. thats just how i do things, at least i tried to fix the problem even though its not my job to.

you can spend all day writing essays about why its not the job of the people in the know to inform those that are ignorant. you're right its not their job, but its the only way for forward progress that you yourself can cause. look at this thread, there are a bunch of guys myself included that didnt know about the origins of the stereotype and because of this thread we have a way better idea of where it came from and why its wrong and after finding out we changed our minds about the article.

that is how you beat ignorance. if you just throw a fit and call people racists without doing anything about it, well i find that pretty lazy.

Thanks for the info meth. I am subbed to the dude on YouTube and mostly everything he says is 100% accurate, it's not like I just Googled watermelon and fried chicken or something and posted it here.

I personally did not know the origin of the stereotype so I posted the vid to help people understand why it's offensive. Even if the film wasn't mainstream or directed by the cross-burning, lynching KKK, it still has Klansmen written all over it. The film was made to enforce or justify the Jim Crow laws and that alone tells us why the stereotype is offensive.

Yet again it's the same people telling others not to care about something they themselves cannot relate to. If someone makes a slick comment about your mothers and you took offense to it, how stupid would someone look if they said "It's not my mother so I'm not offended and you shouldn't either. Get over it and move on". Like Meth said, it screams of privilege. Like who the **** are you to tell me what I should be offended by when you can't relate.

Yet again it's the same people telling others not to care about something they themselves cannot relate to. If someone makes a slick comment about your mothers and you took offense to it, how stupid would someone look if they said "It's not my mother so I'm not offended and you shouldn't either. Get over it and move on". Like Meth said, it screams of privilege. Like who the **** are you to tell me what I should be offended by when you can't relate.
but who are you to say that someone cannot relate?

So big **** stereotype cool.

Watermelon stereotype bad?

You just can't pick and choose, you really think everyone else is doing a venn diagram, of what stereotype you might fit into, or not and what you are? No they're lumping you in to every single stereotype imaginable, hence why all stereotypes should be disregarded and looked down upon.

Meth, I think you're going a little too deep into this.

Educate ourselves? Hell, my school couldn't educate me on this. The few black people that I know personally sure as hell couldn't tell me about any of this information I've learned. The few supremacists and good 'ole boys I know couldn't tell me about this. You want me to educate myself on FRIED CHICKEN AND WATERMELON? Go educate yourself on Oatmeal. I NEVER had any idea that there was so much behind this stereotype (Which apparently isn't true) that you guys get so offended about. Why the hell would I go around searching up the history about it. In my non racist mind I believed it was just another stupid stereotype, just like the ones every other minority has.

No need for you to be looking down on us. I guarantee you half of the black community doesn't know the background behind this. And to those that do and don't get offended, my hats off to you. I believe that's the way it should be. Why are you going to allow some small, untrue stereotype to get to you.

and before I get banned for "supporting a racial slur/stereotype" or whatever you want to call it, it should be like that for every race. Beat your bad stereotypes and do something in life.

Look at you smh...How can you guarantee half the black community doesn't know the background behind this when there were plenty of ppl in this thread alone that informed you, myself included. Ignorance of the law doesn't get ppl off from jail, just like ignorance of stereotypes doesn't exclude you from being labeled prejudiced, especially with how insensitive and condescending your posts are coming off as.

Stop taking it at face value, like we are just disgusted by the Chicken and Watermelon itself, like we're tryna eliminate all Chicken and Watermelon from the Earth. It's the memories and history attached with it that we're disgusted by. Like Meth said, pick up a book, educate yourself. I'm sure you're educated in the background of the N word and I'm even more sure that you use it in the privacy of your home (seeing as how you're a Dom Kennedy fan), and they almost go hand in hand. A slur is a slur, might as well know the history of em all

I'm speaking from a personal standpoint when I say this, the black people I know can't tell me the history behind the fried chicken. They flat out just don't know the history of the stereotype.

This generation of blacks, hell of people don't have memories about slavery. Flat out, you haven't been a slave due to race in our generation. You can say us as PEOPLE are slaves because of the social pyramid and the distribution of wealth, but I highly doubt half of the black community (outside of NT) has seen "The Birth of a Nation."

As far as me being insensitive, it's an internet forum, I can't use body language or facial expressions on here. I UNDERSTAND why people see it as offensive, now I know the exact reason for it. However, I can't see why today's generation due to ignorance on the matter would be offended.

I do love Dom Kennedy's music, and no I don't use the N word. I used to use it frequently when I was younger. Now I just see it as an unnecessary part of my vocabulary that frankly, doesn't sound good coming out of my mouth in any way.

I do however support the black community in using the N word, ending with ga rather than er (in non proffesional instances). You guys have taken the power out of the word. It's the reason that I believe it doesn't have as much affect as ******* (which also doesn't make much sense) to Latin Americans.

If you're someone who derives unearned privilege from their skin color, who does not know what it's like to be on the other side of that equation, what is it, if NOT an assertion of this very privilege, to:

1)  Tell those who are offended - without ANY understanding at all - that they're being "oversensitive."

2)  To demand that those who are offended explain the historical context of the offense to you, even though you could easily research it yourself.

3)  To insist that they coddle you in the process.

And, if the latter two conditions aren't met, you can actually summon the gall to say, "well, I was mildly interested but you weren't helpful and nice enough.  I guess you don't really want to be treated with dignity and respect...  Sorry, I've lost interest.  Maybe if you're a bit more polite next time I could be convinced to reconsider."  

That whole attitude from start to finish reeks of privilege and willful ignorance.  If you're wondering how this sort of blatant racism flourishes in 2014.... that's  how. 

plenty of good points to be made in here if they weren't delivered in such a condescending manner.
eyes.gif
If it's a valid point, what's the difference? 

In the "jimmy rustling" thread, you said
:rolleyes dudes trying to justify laughing at a handicapped person.

whatever helps yall sleep at night doe.
And just look at your username and avatar.  

as i have said there are lots of people who dont know why its racist and dont put the effort into educating themselves, yes you can see this as their faults and that they are contributing to racism and throw a tantrum, write essays online about how its their job to find information out on their own. but how does that help the problem? thats just you getting mad, calling someone a racist over something they dont fully understand which causes the "racists" to get defensive and nothing can get accomplished. 

you can spend all day writing essays about why its not the job of the people in the know to inform those that are ignorant. you're right its not their job, but its the only way for forward progress that you yourself can cause. look at this thread, there are a bunch of guys myself included that didnt know about the origins of the stereotype and because of this thread we have a way better idea of where it came from and why its wrong and after finding out we changed our minds about the article.

that is how you beat ignorance. if you just throw a fit and call people racists without doing anything about it, well i find that pretty lazy.
I'm being lectured on laziness and "how to beat ignorance by someone" who replied to this thread 10 times but couldn't be bothered to attempt two minutes of research?  

Let that sink in for a minute.

By the way, way to ignore the fact that it's BECAUSE of the very same people you're griping about that you "have a way better idea of where [this stereotype] came from and why its [sic] wrong."  So, in addition to explaining THAT to you, the offensiveness of EXPECTING others to address your own ignorance has ALSO been explained to you.  It's a two-fer.  

So what are you really upset about?  That there wasn't enough of an effort to coddle you? 

Obviously you don't feel personally invested enough in racial inequality to make much of an effort.  That's pretty clear.  What's going to change that?  How can it be MADE PERSONAL to you?  

It certainly seems as though some people care far, far more about being considered ignorant or racist than they do about the racism and ignorance their fellow citizens are constantly subjected to.  Ironic, but that seems as good a starting point as any.

People don't like being called racist because it's isolating and distances them from other people.  Well... yeah, that's what racism was designed to accomplish.  It stratifies.  You can't passively reap the benefits of this stratification on one hand and still consider yourself uninvolved.  

Why do people deserve to be let off the hook after making NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER?  
So big **** stereotype cool.
Who said that?  Hyper-sexualization serves much the same purpose.  It's bestial and dehumanizing. 
This generation of blacks, hell of people don't have memories about slavery. Flat out, you haven't been a slave due to race in our generation. You can say us as PEOPLE are slaves because of the social pyramid and the distribution of wealth, but I highly doubt half of the black community (outside of NT) has seen "The Birth of a Nation."

As far as me being insensitive, it's an internet forum, I can't use body language or facial expressions on here. I UNDERSTAND why people see it as offensive, now I know the exact reason for it. However, I can't see why today's generation due to ignorance on the matter would be offended.
How do you not understand why it's still offensive?  It's still in use.  

This is why I have issues with the whole "the KKK did it" explanation.  It's not accurate and it marginalizes the issue.  This is an unbroken chain.  It's a stereotype that's been used to dehumanize and ridicule Black Americans since slavery - and it persists to this day.  Those ASU fratboys aren't KKK members.  Unless they attended History 101, they've never seen "Birth of a Nation," either - but they knew to drink booze out of watermelon cups on Dr. King's holiday. 

To hear some tell it, those ASU frat boys weren't to blame.  It's not their fault that a magical Black friend didn't sit them down and patiently explain to them - with the greatest of care - that it's hurtful.  If only someone took the time to beg and plead with them and promise to make them super-down BFFs with full n-bomb privileges if they'd just be heroic and awesome enough to exercise an ounce of respect, none of that would've happened! 

And then, to grind salt in the wound, we all rushed to judge these poor innocent frat boys and called them the worst slur imaginable:  "racist."  
eyes.gif

Really, is a little accountability too much to ask? 

If you're someone who derives unearned privilege from their skin color, who does not know what it's like to be on the other side of that equation, what is it, if NOT an assertion of this very privilege, to:

1)  Tell those who are offended - without ANY understanding at all - that they're being "oversensitive."

2)  To demand that those who are offended explain the historical context of the offense to you, even though you could easily research it yourself.

And, if the latter two conditions aren't met, you can actually summon the gall to say, "well, I was mildly interested but you weren't helpful and nice enough.  I guess you don't really want to be treated with dignity and respect...  Sorry, I've lost interest.  Maybe if you're a bit more polite next time I could be convinced to reconsider."  

That whole attitude from start to finish reeks of privilege and willful ignorance.  If you're wondering how this sort of blatant racism flourishes in 2014.... that's  how. 

how does my user name and avy have anything to do with this? your avy is a character from an 80s cartoon. but i digress.

& valid point or not, the difference is that one is disrespectful and reeks of a superiority complex. that effects the tone of the discussion for the worse.

as far as unearned privilege, both blacks and whites have unearned privileges.

your long winded responses contain valuable information yes, but are riddled with condescending quips. i would assume that someone in your position would be less abrasive with your delivery, as it encourages more abrasive dialogue. its bad for everyone.

Yeah I wasn't surprised when I saw ppl (and at who was saying it) coming through with "you should be nicer when telling me why something I don't understand to better help everybody" as if you can't look something up on your own on your own time.

So on top of being insulted by your ignorance I am now tasked with teaching you to know better.

FOH

Last edited:

That whole attitude from start to finish reeks of privilege and willful ignorance.  If you're wondering how this sort of blatant racism flourishes in 2014.... that's how. 

how does my user name and avy have anything to do with this? your avy is a character from an 80s cartoon. but i digress.

& valid point or not, the difference is that one is disrespectful and reeks of a superiority complex. that effects the tone of the discussion for the worse.

as far as unearned privilege, both blacks and whites have unearned privileges.

your long winded responses contain valuable information yes, but are riddled with condescending quips. i would assume that someone in your position would be less abrasive with your delivery, as it encourages more abrasive dialogue. its bad for everyone.

"Derp" is also a phrase used to make fun of the mentally challenged.

-And I what unearned privileges does the black community enjoy? Because of a black man myself, I can't think of any at the top of my head.

Last edited:
johnnyderp johnnyderp
What kind of unearned privileges that the black community has are we talking about here? I couldn't think of any.

1. Having people be afraid to say any of the catch words in front of an African American.
- If I say, "I like cornbread." Whoops, you're racist.
2. Special treatment and pity from other people, including job providers.
3. Ability to put an African American in the oval office.
4. American troops to Sudan.
5. Money given to Haiti.

Last edited:
johnnyderp johnnyderp
What kind of unearned privileges that the black community has are we talking about here? I couldn't think of any.

1. Having people be afraid to say any of the catch words in front of an African American.
- If I say, "I like cornbread." Whoops, you're racist.
2. Special treatment and pity from other people, including job providers.
3. Ability to put an African American in the oval office.
4. American troops to Sudan.
5. Money given to Haiti.

This a joke post right? Please tell me you're joking and your delivery was off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom