Feb 6 - School apologizes for black history lunch menu vol. Annual Black History Month Faux Pas

:lol:

It's funny to me how people get off defending racist stereotypes on a shoe forum of all places.

Maybe selective memory, but NT did not used to be like this.

It didn't, dudes too focused on "rustling jimmies" these days

And that's ruining the NT experience for me lately. Dudes had their "Amsterdam" with that unpopular opinions thread. Now thats gone they're back on general corners pushing that WMD.

I need to take a NT break 
mean.gif

Loads of CLOSET racism in this thread. Yet let me make a thread about how a school serves noodles and fried rice to celebrate Asian history... then its "wrong".

:stoneface:

Loads of CLOSET racism in this thread. Yet let me make a thread about how a school serves noodles and fried rice to celebrate Asian history... then its "wrong".

indifferent.gif
bad example, serving rice and noodles to celebrate something like chinese new year wouldnt be offensive at all.

well maybe to some people

I'm salty lol my grandparents stay with a fresh watermelon..thanksgiving, Christmas birthdays don't matter there's a watermelon there

Sad and pitiful so many are so blatantly ignorant and almost proud of it. Clear schools have failed a lot of yall education wise. Birth of A Nation should be recommended material for all social studies and history classes so young ppl can actually understand the lengths racism would go so they can realize how it's still prevalent today.

Meth, please answer me this. Why is it offensive to have food widely accepted by the black community for lunch on Black History moth? They aren't mentioning any other stereotypes, and they aren't serving the lunch in a disrespectful manner.

I believe I understand that the reason which black people gained fame for liking watermelon was because in the days of slavery, it was a food which contained a lot of liquid to hydrate.

I truly don't understand the reason for which you and others see this as racist, it certainly isn't hateful.

Please don't "Ether" me and insult my ignorance, instead enlighten me. I guess my question is, what is hurtful about fried chicken, watermelon, and cornbread?

Just watch the vid on the last page. If you don't see anything wrong with serving fried chicken and watermelon cuz it's BHM then that's your problem you need to solve. If you don't know about the stereotypes and centuries of racism when it comes to that, please educate yourself.

Meth, please answer me this. Why is it offensive to have food widely accepted by the black community for lunch on Black History moth? They aren't mentioning any other stereotypes, and they aren't serving the lunch in a disrespectful manner.

I believe I understand that the reason which black people gained fame for liking watermelon was because in the days of slavery, it was a food which contained a lot of liquid to hydrate.

I truly don't understand the reason for which you and others see this as racist, it certainly isn't hateful.

Please don't "Ether" me and insult my ignorance, instead enlighten me. I guess my question is, what is hurtful about fried chicken, watermelon, and cornbread?
there was a vid posted earlier in the thread explaining the origins of the stereotype, the KKK made an anti black movie where black people were shown eating fried chicken and watermelon in a way that made them look like savages. there are probably other examples as well but the reason for the black people like fried chicken/watermelon stereotype was from the KKK.

while for some people seeing the article will bring up memories of the KKK and the jim crow era, it seems like a vast majority of people today have no idea about the origins of this stereotype and why it's found offensive.

this causes people who do get offended to think that everyone is racist when most people just have no idea why what they're doing is offensive, and of course getting angry at people rather than taking the time to educate them only escalades the situation for both sides

this causes people who do get offended to think that everyone is racist when most people just have no idea why what they're doing is offensive, and of course getting angry at people rather than taking the time to educate them only escalades the situation for both sides

And driving on the other side of the street are those people telling others that they are too sensitive, even after watching that vid and claiming to comprehend why some are offended.

And driving on the other side of the street are those people telling others that they are too sensitive, even after watching that vid and claiming to comprehend why some are offended.
imo getting mad over a ignorant act that happened at a school in a different state than where you live (not talking about you specifically) impacting a bunch of people you dont know is being too sensitive. but thats just me, unless it has to do with someone directly related to me im not going to stress over something on the internet.

looking at that article and coming to the conclusion "all those people are closet racists" is being too sensitive. there is ignorance happening all over the world, theres really no point in getting worked up over something that doesnt effect you, and if you do feel strongly about it then work to fix the problem rather than assuming the worst in people

there was a vid posted earlier in the thread explaining the origins of the stereotype, the KKK made an anti black movie where black people were shown eating fried chicken and watermelon in a way that made them look like savages. there are probably other examples as well but the reason for the black people like fried chicken/watermelon stereotype was from the KKK.

while for some people seeing the article will bring up memories of the KKK and the jim crow era, it seems like a vast majority of people today have no idea about the origins of this stereotype and why it's found offensive.

ok, I apologize as I have just seen the video and now understand the ORIGINAL meaning of the stereotype. However, I have to ask. How many people, not just African Americans (Which I have no idea why they're still considered African American instead of American) understand this as being the background of the stereotype.

I personally don't understand why this would cause such a big controversy as I highly doubt somebody made the lunch menu with that intention. However, I feel more strongly about the fact that it was completely stupid for a PUBLIC school to fall into this.

Meth, I retract my statement although your views are always welcomed and entertained.

Last edited:

ok, I apologize as I have just seen the video and now understand the ORIGINAL meaning of the stereotype. However, I have to ask. How many people, not just African Americans (Which I have no idea why they're still considered African American instead of American) understand this as being the background of the stereotype.

I personally don't understand why this would cause such a big controversy as I highly doubt somebody made the lunch menu with that intention. However, I feel more strongly about the fact that it was completely stupid for a PUBLIC school to fall into this.

Meth, I retract my statement although your views are always welcomed and entertained.
im pretty sure it was a private all girls school, not that that changes anything.

most people, myself included, knew that it was a negative stereotype but didnt really know about the origins which causes the confusion and the "not a big deal" im guessing the school administration didnt either but they still should have known the possibility for controversy even though they dont know the exact origins.

america as a whole always makes too big of a deal over race related topics, from this to the zimmerman case to the richard sherman postgame interview. just like this case should have been handled in their community rather than making national news, sherman's post game interview should have stayed in the sports world rather than get blown up into a nationwide race issue.

its hard to fix as america is a very racially polarized nation but with better education of relevant cultures it should slowly get better

imo getting mad over a ignorant act that happened at a school in a different state than where you live (not talking about you specifically) impacting a bunch of people you dont know is being too sensitive. but thats just me, unless it has to do with someone directly related to me im not going to stress over something on the internet.

looking at that article and coming to the conclusion "all those people are closet racists" is being too sensitive. there is ignorance happening all over the world, theres really no point in getting worked up over something that doesnt effect you, and if you do feel strongly about it then work to fix the problem rather than assuming the worst in people

And reading that article and just assuming that the people didn't do this intentionally is quite naive. Those stereotypes are well known in American history. Assuming that everyone involved just didn't know or expect this reaction is giving one hell of a benefit of a doubt.

And how can you say this doesn't effect us NTers? In our country, there are people who don't find anything wrong with this and deem those offended by it to be too sensitive. That affects our entire society.

And reading that article and just assuming that the people didn't do this intentionally is quite naive. Those stereotypes are well known in American history. Assuming that everyone involved just didn't know or expect this reaction is giving one hell of a benefit of a doubt.

And how can you say this doesn't effect us NTers? In our country, there are people who don't find anything wrong with this and deem those offended by it to be too sensitive. That affects our entire society.

Those stereotypes are well known in American culture, not American history. I'm willing to bet that most of the US doesn't know the origins of the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype.

Ok, but they know its a stereotype and they know stereotypes can be offensive.

there was not a single person in here before the vid was posted that could educate the rest of us of the origins of the stereotype. 

not sure if true but this quote was posted in the thread: "students who were members of the Black Student Union club at neighboring De La Salle High School planned a special lunch to celebrate the month. The menu included fried chicken, corn bread and watermelon."

i highly doubt a black student union club would organize a lunch like this to be intentionally racist, it seems way more likely that they just didnt know any better. 

already a bunch of people in this thread who were saying "its not that bad" watched an educational video detailing the history of the subject and changed their minds. you dont think the same thing can happen to most of these kids and even the schools faculty? 

as i said, yes i would think most people knew of the negative stereotype that links black people to the foods served, but from what i have read and seen there are very few people that know the exact origins and many of the people who previously did not know of the exact origins later changed their minds after learning.

when you call someone a racist it pushes them away and in most cases only reinforces their ignorant views. of course there are people out there that just flat out hate black people, but most people that are ignorant simply dont know any better and giving them knowledge rather than casting them off as racists is the only way to change that.

i have gotten all kinds of racism/ignorance thrown at me when telling americans that i grew up in china, it would be really easy to get mad at how stupid and ignorant these people sound but most of the time i take the time to explain to them why they are wrong.

Sup man, I'm Filipino and knew of the origins form which the watermelon and fried chicken stereotype came from because my major is ethnic studies.
I think that not a lot of people before they graduate high-school will really have a deep grasp of the racism that that still plagues marginalized communities to this day. There is **** ton of history that a person can go over, which leads me to believe that the admins of Carondelet might not have known too much about what the foods they were trying to serve means.

Which leads us to an interesting thing, intent. You're right fam. I feel that the school had zero intention to cause harm and promote racism. However, it does not excuse them from their actions. There is just too much hate sewed within the foods they were trying to serve. It is the same thing when people put on blackface for halloween. Sure they did not intend anything hateful upon it, they just didn't know. The only difference is that more people know about the history behind blackface which is why it is easier to claim racism.

Glad you're coming at this with an open mind. For me, the hardest part about informing people is that they feel uncomfortable about the issues of race, inequality, etc that they just cover their ears when I try and explain. A good first step is to just bring race into the issue, because it is relevant today. It is not the racism that we know from the 20th century, but it still persists. The crappy part is that we're on a internet forum so it's hard to get genuine messages across, with the trolling and stuff :lol:

EDIT: Seamanup bruh idk what happened but I know you didn't write that but Zapatohead :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom