Feb 6 - School apologizes for black history lunch menu vol. Annual Black History Month Faux Pas

:lol:

It's funny to me how people get off defending racist stereotypes on a shoe forum of all places.

Maybe selective memory, but NT did not used to be like this.

Last edited:
For what it's worth Carondelet is a "premier" catholic all-girls high school. If you've heard of De La Salle High School in Concord, the two are affiliated and share parts of what is basically one campus. You'd like to think an institution that claims to hold itself to a higher standard would be above this type of ****. Thanks for sharing that vid. 
  • HTownShoeFiend  Too bad none of the ignorant ***** defending this crap are gonna press play.

Last edited:

when there are events overseas celebrating america (july 4th) its mostly just hotdogs, burgers and bbq chicken/ribs
What's your point?
not all americans only eat hotdogs and burgers

stop being so sensitive 
This has to be a joke
mean.gif
.  Historically, hotdogs, hamburgers, and barbecue chicken/ribs have been widely accepted as a part of American culture by Americans, so much so that it's almost considered Un-American not to have them on the 4th of July.  Until you find me the part of African and/or African American history that points to fried chicken, corn bread, and watermelon being a part of it then it's just perpetuating a stereotype and deservedly, will be deemed racist.

If you consider it your kneejerk response to defend anything that's considered "racist," maybe you ought to ask yourself why that is.  

"You can't say anything without it being called racist nowadays."  No.  You can't say anything racist without it being called racist these days.  It has nothing to do with "sensitivity."  It's about respect

You do not perpetuate ignorant, hateful, centuries-old minstrel stereotypes and get away with it - LEAST of all in a public school under the guise of "Black History Month."  

If you don't understand why the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype is hurtful, that speaks to YOUR ignorance, not to anyone else's "sensitivity."  Read a book. 
Couldn't have said it better
pimp.gif

I do have to give credit to the parents for voicing their displeasure with the menu, gives me a bit of hope for humanity.

^^good vid
my only question would be how the gov would compile data on who (racially) eats what food???
seriously, that seems ******* stupid to even suggest. just nitpicking though. the rest of the vid taught me about where the stereotypes came from- i had no idea

i just wanna know
what would be a good alternative meal to celebrate black history month?

Last edited:
If you don't like chicken or watermelon, something is wrong with YOU!

Where are all the people who don't like chicken or watermelon??

*chapelle voice*

You know, I honestly never ate them together... am I missing out?

I was hearing hype about "Chicken and Waffles"... so I went to this local soul food place, ordered the chicken and waffles, and wasn't a fan.

It does NOT go together in my opinion.

Last edited:
Still don't see anything wrong with the menu other then the watermelon. The students at the school probably don't eat anything close to this on a regular basis. With the amount money being paid for tuition. Shoot some of students could have been excited to have change on the menu for a change then their normal lunch days.

I thought it was a understanding already that the reason fried chicken and cornbread was considered black food because it was cheap to provide food for the family at the time.

@AEA18 No troll here son. I watched the vid. It was informative and I never heard where the fried chicken stereotype originated, so I learned something new which is always appreciated.

Inb4 a majority of cats come in here acting like they been knew where that stereotype originated.

Lol at dude quoting government statistics though.

:smh:

Do people really think that black people eat watermelon with fried chicken?

As a black man I have never eaten watermelon and fried chicken at the same time.

I don't even like watermelons...

Lol

@AEA18 No troll here son. I watched the vid. It was informative and I never heard where the fried chicken stereotype originated, so I learned something new which is always appreciated.

Inb4 a majority of cats come in here acting like they been knew where that stereotype originated.

Lol at dude quoting government statistics though.

The video didn't say anything that hadn't been posted in this thread already, so obviously a majority of cats did know where the stereotypes come from, y'all dudes just happened to repeatedly brush it off as "sensitive". It didn't sound good until it came out of another white persons mouth...I think you know what we call that

Am I the only one that thinks fried chicken doesn't mix with certains things. I've never understood chicken and waffles. :x People pouring syrup on the chicken and the waffles. :x

Roscoe and Gladys Knight would like to have a word with you

The video didn't say anything that hadn't been posted in this thread already, so obviously a majority of cats did know where the stereotypes come from, y'all dudes just happened to repeatedly brush it off as "sensitive". It didn't sound good until it came out of another white persons mouth...I think you know what we call that
 Man S T F U. No one in this thread said where the stereotype came from. Cats were just talking about, "I know what they tried to do there...etc, etc, etc." I specifically asked people to explain what was negative about the stereotype and NO ONE DID. 

Man S T F U. No one in this thread said where the stereotype came from. Cats were just talking about, "I know what they tried to do there...etc, etc, etc." I specifically asked people to explain what was negative about the stereotype and NO ONE DID. 

Someone did post a wiki link to the watermelon stereotype earlier in this thread

Like I said, that video said nothing new that wasn't said already in this thread by either myself or someone else. You're ignorant and I tried to school you and you blew it off until that video, now everything is crystal clear...

Like I said, that video said nothing new that wasn't said already in this thread by either myself or someone else. You're ignorant and I tried to school you and you blew it off until that video, now everything is crystal clear...
Wrong. That video stated the origin of the fried chicken stereotype. You posted a link to the watermelon thing (I believe, I didn't click that link), which I never defended, and I actually said was ignorant on the part of the school. I was indeed ignorant to the origin of the fried chicken stereotype, which I freely admitted in my post above. Again - I specially called people out asking that they advise what was negative with fried chicken stereotype, and until that video, no one did. Once posted, I watched it and learned something new... which as I said, is always appreciated. 

P.S. Aint nobody clicking on links on here. You want people to read your link, post the article in a spoiler. 

Last edited:
I'm sure they were actually teaching it in the classroom, not just serving the meal. Why cant they do both?

I don't know if they are or aren't, but I highly doubt it because any school ignorant enough to serve this menu for "black history" would be getting too much credit to assume they kept it real in the classroom.
I'm sure they were actually teaching it in the classroom, not just serving the meal. Why cant they do both?

Out of order but you get the point

use this as a way to teach black history, if people complained and found it offensive then there will be a bunch of kids and adults that have no idea why it's offensive. rather than throwing a fit and calling everyone racist, teach them the history of the stereotype and why its wrong. most racism is caused by ignorance and not hatred there is no reason to get upset at people for things no one ever told them, if you think this is a big deal then find ways to educate people on why its a big deal and most will stop doing it

when in doubt, accuse them of trolling.

great way to get some quality opinions and information out of this thread bruh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom