F1 Official Thread - Grand Prix of Britain

Bahahaha...

Commentary is straight from Sky F1! Crofy, Brundle, etc!

I think Paula and Alex Yoong will be doing the Pre-post race shows, while that Indian dude is Sanjeev something... he usually does the racing programs.  The gal is Kelly Latimer... I think she hosts the show GAME, but I never watch it. 

Steve Slater is OUT!

Last edited:
Hmm, interesting they took Steve Slater out. Might try to check out the replay of qualifying then stick to Sky on Race Day. :lol:

I think I saw a Slater Tweet where he said he was notified at the last minute (or perhaps via an announcement by Fox Sports) that he wasn't renewed... or something like that.  Basically he only just found out. 
mean.gif
 @ the way it was handled then.

Anyway, what's new for Star this season is that they're airing all the free-practices and that they'll be using the commentary from Sky.  All good things.  Before, I used to download the FP's after each session and try to cram them in before the quali and race, but now I can just watch it live like everyone else.  As for the race, I used to watch the Star broadcast live, then download the Sky and rewatch that with the Crofty/Brundle commentary in HD.  I'll probably still rewatch the pre-show/quali/race simply for the HD, but at least I won't have to deal with the Slater-commentary. 

Anyway...

McLaren are struggling... 
tired.gif

Australian+F1+Grand+Prix+Practice+TP7FyHIjrXTx.jpg

Australian+F1+Grand+Prix+Practice+baQDrllk-IDx.jpg

Australian+F1+Grand+Prix+Practice+sq5W98OuGZ5x.jpg

Australian+F1+Grand+Prix+Practice+CjIM0fDszftx.jpg

Australian+F1+Grand+Prix+Practice+u3V7jNWZYayx.jpg

This was pretty cool. 

red-bull-stratos-felix-baumgartner-helmet.jpg

d13aus1680.jpg

s1_1.jpg

Last edited:
Unfortunately, I didn't start following until AFTER Senna died... for me, it was about this era...
9tf.jpg

that... and the whole "Silver Arrows" aspect of McLaren as well as the McLaren F1 did it for me.  It didn't help that Schumi took out Villeneuve at the end of the '97 season. 
mad.gif

So I guess you can imagine my devastation when Kimi switched to, of all teams, Ferrari! 
mad.gif

Similar situation right now, though I don't hate Mercedes... they (esp Lewis) do look very strong.  
sad.gif

I actually started watching F1 that very same year, when Schumacher took out Villenueve. I got more into F1 because of a random video game on N64 called F1 World Grand Prix. I thought the concept of using tyre/aero and team strategy, in addition to all the crazy tech they have in F1 was cool and I became a big fan of Hakkinen/Mclaren. I don't know how to feel about this upcoming year, though. I think im just going to pull for both AMG and Mclaren

too bad for Steve :smh: actually i kinda like him, have to give props to him tho. he eats, sleeps and breath racing and def know his F1 stuff. he put the credibility in their coverage with STAR. they had a lot of people on the commentary before that barely knows F1 or just starting to know the sport just because their part of Star anchors :lol:

even up until now, Paula, Steve D and Sanjiv says generic stuff, same exact stuff that you see online. they just go on air and say things like caual viewer :smh:

too bad for Steve
mean.gif
actually i kinda like him, have to give props to him tho. he eats, sleeps and breath racing and def know his F1 stuff. he put the credibility in their coverage with STAR. they had a lot of people on the commentary before that barely knows F1 or just starting to know the sport just because their part of Star anchors
laugh.gif

even up until now, Paula, Steve D and Sanjiv says generic stuff, same exact stuff that you see online. they just go on air and say things like caual viewer
mean.gif
I never liked Slater cuz I felt he, at times, got some of his commentary wrong... I've heard him say stuff that make certain situations sound worse than it really was... for example, if a car slowed down during quali, he'd be quick to say something like "Oh no, has he got a problem!?", but in reality, if you paid a bit more attention, you would have noticed that the driver was probably giving himself a bigger gap to the car in front so he could start his flying lap.  I've also heard him say "when is this car going to have his pit-stop?", when in reality, the driver made his stop 5 laps ago. All in the details.  The guy knows his racing history no doubt, so maybe that's more his area?  

Paula, Dawson and Sanjeev are all presenters/producers, so I sorta expect that standard stuff from them.  It's kinda like Simon or Georgie on Sky, if you've seen their coverage... or Jake on the BBC.  Granted, they're more informed, but ultimately are there to present.  

I actually started watching F1 that very same year, when Schumacher took out Villenueve. I got more into F1 because of a random video game on N64 called F1 World Grand Prix. I thought the concept of using tyre/aero and team strategy, in addition to all the crazy tech they have in F1 was cool and I became a big fan of Hakkinen/Mclaren. I don't know how to feel about this upcoming year, though. I think im just going to pull for both AMG and Mclaren
:wow:
you just brought back some memories!! I also had that same game for my N64 :pimp:

Vettel :smh: :smh: :smh:

So it's suppose to be a rainy race? :nerd:

^ I remember one of the games that got me into F1 was F1 or F1 97 I think. Gerhard Berger was still in the driver lineup :lol: games have definitely come a long way since then. Only realism needs to catch up, due to hardware limitations of consoles. The next generation consoles should be decent.

Well, as for Steve, yeah, he can be a little overdramatic at times. Only thing that bugs me with the Star Sports coverage is they don't go with the flow of how things unfold during the course of the weekend. Especially delaying some of the press conferences to the next day, a few minutes after it was finished, etc. :smh: they don't have people on the paddock, save for the Singapore GP, so you might as well head on to Twitter for more in-depth coverage. I was blown away with how the BBC and Sky Sports (on their first year!) had their presentation. :wow: :smokin

I remember back in the day when Star Sports' coverage of the race weekend was covered by some old fat Chinese dude in Chinese. Very enthusiastic character. :lol:

^ That Chinese dude with the pony-tail and the beard? LOL

Yup! He does the pre-race and then Steve Slater and Chris Goodwin do the race commentary. Those were the days. One was a McLaren homer (now Chief Test Driver for McLaren Automotive, I think) and the other a Ferrari one. :lol: :smokin Always at each other, too. I remember the Chinese guy freaking out driving a Formula Renault at Dijon Prenois during one segment. :lol:

Last edited:
Interesting bit of info for this weekend's grand prix. Mice chewed up Charlie Whiting's wires. :lol: :tongue: :smokin I wonder who's going to cheat with the DRS tomorrow. :nerd:

FIA acts as mice cause problems in Melbourne
16/03/2013
Mat Coch writes:

It appears that mice - similar to the one pictured - have got in to the Race Control systems in Albert Park and nibbled at some of the wires.

FIA race director Charlie Whiting has therefore sent a note to teams stating that a number of the standard features and alerts usually under race controls finger are not working.

The full statement reads:

"Due to reliability problems with the telemetry link between race control and the cars we will be disabling this with immediate effect. The consequences for the race will be as follows;

1: None of the red, yellow or blue cockpit lights will work.

2: At the start of the race DRS will be automatically enabled once each car as crossed the Line to complete two laps.

3: There will be no automatic blue flag messages on the Official Messaging System. We will do our best to give as much information from race control as we can, however, it will be even more important that teams do what they can to ensure their drivers respect blue flags.

4: If the safety car is deployed Safety Car Model will have to be selected manually by the driver immediately after he sees either the SC light panels or SC boards being held out by marshals.

5: If the safety car is deployed a message saying "DRS DISABLED" will be displayed, we will however be unable to actually disable it. Therefore, from this point, drivers must not use DRS until the message "DRS ENABLED" is shown two laps after the safety car returns to the pits (due to the layout of the track the "DRS ENABLED" message will be sent when every car has reached the end of the second activation zone before turn 3).

6: If yellow flags or lights are displayed in a DRS activation zone "DRS DISABLED" will be displayed, from this point drivers must not use DRS in the yellow zone until the message "DRS ENABLED" appears.

7: In conditions of poor visibility a message saying "DRS DISABLED" may be displayed, we will however be unable to actually disable it. Therefore, from this point, drivers must not use DRS until the message "DRS ENABLED" is shown.

In order to allow your drivers to get a chance to acquaint themselves with some of these features we will be running a further test after P3 in exactly the same way as we did after P1 and P2.

Too bad I have work today. Might get to catch a replay if there is one. I really prefer the races that get broadcast live in the evening over here in Asia, very convenient time and a good way to cap off the evening. :smokin

Last edited:
yeah i felt Steve has a few lapses these past seasons. Karun has to correct him from time to time specially with the technical stuff. one thing i didn't like with Steve, he's hella biased with Ferrari thats why he and Goodwin were going at it but Steve won :lol: :smokin i think the Murray Walker syndrome and the age caught up with Steve :smh:

for me, just take out the pre/post shows and the on poddock crew because thats a big budget production but simple difference with the Sky or BBC crew is they're more oriented in F1 and they sound and feel like they know what are they talkin. while Star is more of a sponsored features. you see Paula doin her Tennis show and Dawson doin their football show they're more enthusiastic and their more in to IT than with F1. you rarely see them having at least a lil bit of argument or debate on certain things like how Slater and Goodwin were. now, its like you say your comment i say mine then move to another topic, its like the whole thing is scripted :lol:

Robin Kung is that Chines dude! i remember him riding in a Mclaren two seater with the sz 3xl mclaren suit :lol: AFAIK Goodwin is workin very closely with Senna. i think he said that before he quit Star when Senna is about to get his F1 seat. he said he's been workin with the kid since jr formula. btw, Star aired P3 with Sky feed! feels like OG Star coverage with Murray and Martin on the commentary :smokin :smokin

Back
Top Bottom