ELECTION DAY 2008:........... Barack Obama, the next President of the United States of America

blaxoid wrote:
As a person outside the US looking in, I hope you guys get Obama into office. Nothings gonna get better in the states with the old man
laugh.gif
Old age is McCains most defining feature, which makes this awful VP woman even worse.

I mean doesn't it annoy people who are on the fence when they see that she's only there to get a certain group of votes and that she could potentially be president since McCain is so old?

I don't want China taking over the world
laugh.gif

Some people would rather turn the other cheek.

I don't wanna see her interviewed again...She obviously doesn't know her stuff.

She needs to be prepped/coached etc. to even be asked questions by the media.

Let's get to the debates already.

Originally Posted by TBONE95860

SunDOOBIE wrote:
TBONE95860 wrote:
Watch Sarah Palin on Fox News' 'Hannity & Colmes' Tonight at 9 p.m. ET

Part 1 tonight
Part 2 tomorrow night

50 to 60 minutes of video footage (in contrast Obama on O'Reilly was only 30 minute)

I'm sure lots of you will tune in since it's Fox News....
wink.gif

[h3]Exclusive: Sarah Palin[/h3]
Sean Hannity sits down with the GOP vice presidential nominee, Wednesday night at 9 p.m. ET. Watch a preview
Is it just me or did she lose her spotlight real fast? I bet the ratings tonight will be minimal at best.
I mean just look at McCain on Monday in Jacksonville without Palin. Dude could barely get 3,000 people in the arena that sits 16,000.
The ratings will be good. Plenty of people still want to learn about her & Fox News always dominates ratings. Therefore the ratings should be good.
For the first 2 weeks of September for the 3 prime time hours of cable news (8 to 9, 9 to 10, 10 to 11 eastern)....
Fox News beat CNN & MSNBC combined & beat MSNBC head to head by 3 times as much.

Yesterday for example....

CABLE NEWS RACE TOP 10, TUESDAY, SEPT 16th
1. HANNITY/COLMES 3,136,000 [fox news]
2. O'REILLY 3,060,000 [fox news]
3. GRETA 2,908,000 [fox news]
4. HUME 1,977,000 [fox news]
5. COOPER 1,828,000 [cnn]
6. RACHEL MADDOW 1,801,000 [msnbc]
7. SHEP SMITH 1,724,000 [fox news]
8. KING 1,710,000 [cnn]
9. OLBERMANN 1,635,000 [msnbc]
10. GRACE 1,166,000 [cnn headline]

Within TOP 10....
Fox News = 12,805,000
CNN/CNNH = 4,704,000
MSNBC = 3,436,000

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by behemothcoa

WILLINC wrote:
Fede DPT wrote:
laugh.gif

I listen to Limbaugh, he tore Obama apart.
FAIL

I don't even wanna see this lady and her scripted questions and answers tonight. It's gonna be all bull anyway.
I'm done with this crap until the debates come.
And I'm also waiting on the result of that Trooper investigation.
laugh.gif

same with me. i wish they would do more investigation into the troopergate scandal. i cant wait for the debates

They're not going to find anything, so I'll be happy to see the result too so people will stop talking about it and focus on more important things.

if that is true then why are republicans and the GOP doing everything they can to halt the investigation.

nice ratings on that palin interview... it just showed the country how underqualified palin is.

t-bone is a lot slower to update the title of the thread on days like this... most recent RCP polls:

[table][tr][th=""]Poll[/th] [th=""]Date[/th] [th=""]Sample[/th] [th=""]McCain (R)[/th] [th=""]Obama (D)[/th] [th=""]Spread[/th] [/tr][tr][td]RCP Average[/td] [td]09/10 - 09/17[/td] [td]--[/td] [td]45.3[/td] [td]47.0[/td] [td]Obama +1.7[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Rasmussen Tracking[/td] [td]09/15 - 09/17[/td] [td]3000 LV[/td] [td]48[/td] [td]48[/td] [td]Tie[/td] [/tr][tr][td]CBS News/NY Times[/td] [td]09/12 - 09/16[/td] [td]LV[/td] [td]44[/td] [td]49[/td] [td]Obama +5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Quinnipiac[/td] [td]09/11 - 09/16[/td] [td]987 LV[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]49[/td] [td]Obama +4[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Battleground[/td] [td]09/10 - 09/17[/td] [td]1000 LV[/td] [td]47[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]McCain +2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Gallup Tracking[/td] [td]09/14 - 09/16[/td] [td]2787 RV[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]47[/td] [td]Obama +2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Hotline/FD Tracking[/td] [td]09/14 - 09/16[/td] [td]909 RV[/td] [td]42[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]Obama +3[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Reuters/Zogby[/td] [td]09/11 - 09/13[/td] [td]1008 LV[/td] [td]45[/td] [td]47[/td] [td]Obama +2[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Newsweek[/td] [td]09/10 - 09/11[/td] [td]1038 RV[/td] [td]46[/td] [td]46[/td] [td]Tie[/td] [/tr][/table]
after obama and biden murk mccain and palin in the debates.. expect the lead to expand a little bit.

it's game time.

They're not going to find anything, so I'll be happy to see the result too so people will stop talking about it and focus on more important things.
are you seriously talking about focusing on more important things? after your party has been dodging theissues and focusing on lipstick on pigs.. hypocritical just like the candidate you support.

Obama needs to capitalize on this economic downturn.... establish that the financial sector is becoming a crisis but also provide some insight on findingsolution so that it will help build confidence and reassure voters. This election is won if he successfully tackles this economic issue. McCain already is inthe hole for declaring that the fundamentals of our economy are strong then trying to clarify [save face] after the DOW fell significantly. I hate to agreewith Karl Rove but he is right in that WSJ piece in suggesting that Obama needs to show leadership and not spend most of the time attacking McCain, attackingwon't show strength. This situation is guaranteed to be the #1 issue until Nov 4th so Obama just needs to play his cards right.

Whats ironic about the whole situation though is that many felt that Obama should have selected Hillary but now it seems McCain should have went with Romneyinstead of an empty suit in Palin... she brings no strength to the ticket whereas Romney right now would bring economic expertise and years of experience andif McCain was able to win on the economic issue this Election would be a wrap.

Notice when the issues are now at the forefront of the presidential race, the republican candidate dips in the polls. Too long republicans have been riding thewave of irrelevant matters like "Lipstick on a pig" "Lapel pins"

The bubble has burst for McCain now after the Palin announcement/Republican convention.

Once the debates roll around, in addition to the focus being on the economy, Obama should start pulling away. The ball has just started to roll.

Obama has a lot more pathways to 270 than McCain, and at the end of the day, I'll call it now. It won't end up being as close as everybody thinks.

McCain has really flip flopped on "regulation" in terms of Wall Street, and now he's calling that SEC Chairman Christopher Cox should be fired.

SunDOOBIE wrote:

TBONE95860 wrote:

Watch Sarah Palin on Fox News' 'Hannity & Colmes' Tonight at 9 p.m. ET

Part 1 tonight

Part 2 tomorrow night

50 to 60 minutes of video footage (in contrast Obama on O'Reilly was only 30 minute)

I'm sure lots of you will tune in since it's Fox News....
wink.gif

[h3]Exclusive: Sarah Palin[/h3]

Sean Hannity sits down with the GOP vice presidential nominee, Wednesday night at 9 p.m. ET. Watch a preview
Is it just me or did she lose her spotlight real fast? I bet the ratings tonight will be minimal at best.

I mean just look at McCain on Monday in Jacksonville without Palin. Dude could barely get 3,000 people in the arena that sits 16,000.

The ratings will be good. Plenty of people still want to learn about her & Fox News always dominates ratings. Therefore the
ratings should be good.

For the first 2 weeks of September for the 3 prime time hours of cable news (8 to 9, 9 to 10, 10 to 11 eastern)....

Fox News beat CNN & MSNBC combined & beat MSNBC head to head by 3 times as much.

Yesterday for example....

CABLE NEWS RACE TOP 10, TUESDAY, SEPT 16th

1. HANNITY/COLMES 3,136,000 [fox news]

2. O'REILLY 3,060,000 [fox news]

3. GRETA 2,908,000 [fox news]

4. HUME 1,977,000 [fox news]

5. COOPER 1,828,000 [cnn]

6. RACHEL MADDOW 1,801,000 [msnbc]

7. SHEP SMITH 1,724,000 [fox news]

8. KING 1,710,000 [cnn]

9. OLBERMANN 1,635,000 [msnbc]

10. GRACE 1,166,000 [cnn headline]

Within TOP 10....
Fox News = 12,805,000
CNN/CNNH = 4,704,000
MSNBC = 3,436,000

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by behemothcoa

WILLINC wrote:

Fede DPT wrote:

laugh.gif

I listen to Limbaugh, he tore Obama apart.
FAIL

I don't even wanna see this lady and her scripted questions and answers tonight. It's gonna be all bull anyway.

I'm done with this crap until the debates come.

And I'm also waiting on the result of that Trooper investigation.
laugh.gif

same with me. i wish they would do more investigation into the troopergate scandal. i cant wait for the debates

Palin will not be convicted of anything, regardless of guilt. She'll be automatically exonerated. Guaranteed.

[h1]
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Palin excitement levels off as Democrats regain lead[/h1]
  • Story Highlights
  • Sarah Palin's favorable rating drops, unfavorable rating rises
  • Barack Obama regains lead in national polls
  • Obama has been aggressively attacking John McCain's economic policies
  • Neither candidate has shown expertise on economy, David Gergen says

1x1pixel.gif

corner_dg_TL.gif

(CNN) -- Is America's honeymoon with Sarah Palin over? Polls suggest that might be so.

art.m.p.gi.jpg

Sarah Palin and John McCain dropped behind the Democratic ticket in the polls Wednesday.

Palin appears to be losing some of her initial appeal as Democrats make gains in the polls.

The Alaska governor came out swinging at the Republican National Convention, energizing her party's base and shifting the momentum to John McCain's favor.

At rallies in the week following the convention, the McCain-Palin duo saw their best attendance and a newfound zeal, and the Republican ticket took the lead in national polls for the first time.

But polls show the momentum has shifted once again.

Palin's favorable rating is at 40 percent, according to a CBS News/New York Times poll. That's down 4 points from last week. Her unfavorable rating is at 30 percent, rising eight points in a week.

The poll was conducted September 12-16 and has a sampling error of plus or minus three percentage points.

Former Bush adviser Karl Rove predicted Wednesday that Palin's star power would wear off.

"Nothing lasts for 60-some-odd days," Rove told The Associated Press. "Will she be the center of attention in the remaining 48 days? No, but she came on in a very powerful way and has given a sense of urgency to the McCain campaign that's pretty remarkable."

But this week, the Democrats recaptured the headlines and Obama regained his lead in the national polls.

CNN's latest poll of polls, out Thursday afternoon, shows him ahead of McCain by two points, 47-44 percent.

The poll of polls consists of six recent surveys: CBS/NYT (September 12-16), Quinnipiac (September 11-16), IPSOS-McClatchy (September 11-15), Gallup (September 15-17), Diageo/Hotline (September 14-16) and American Research Group (September 13-15). It does not have a sampling error.

After a week in which McCain put Obama on the defensive over allegations of playing the gender card, the economic crisis has given Obama an opportunity to go on the offense. Most Americans see Obama as more capable than John McCain when it comes to handling the economy, polls show.

The Illinois senator has been aggressively attacking what he sees as shortcomings in McCain's economic plans.

Also this week, McCain handed Obama ammunition for what has turned out to be a weeklong attack.

Despite the shake up on Wall Street, McCain said Monday that "the fundamentals of the American economy are strong."

The Obama campaign jumped on those remarks, replaying them in a campaign ad, even after McCain clarified his comments. He said what he meant was that American workers are the fundamental strength of the economy and that the country will rebound with their help.

Obama continued to criticize the remark Wednesday at an event in Elko, Nevada: "His campaign must have realized that probably wasn't a smart thing to say on the day of a financial meltdown, so they sent him back out a few hours later to clean up his remarks."

Obama has filled this week's campaign speeches with a focused view of his economic agenda and sound-bite friendly slams to bruise McCain's image.

"This is somebody who has been in Congress for 26 years, who put seven of the most powerful Washington lobbyists in charge of his campaign. And now he tells us that he is the one who is going to take on the old boys' network. The old boys network, in the McCain campaign, that's called a staff meeting," he said Wednesday.

David Gergen, a senior political analyst for CNN and former presidential adviser, said neither candidate has shown expertise on the economic situation, but Obama has gained more from it than McCain.

"The momentum for John McCain and Sarah Palin has stalled out. There is a little momentum on Barack Obama's part. But he hasn't yet fully seized it and it is still very close," he said, adding that McCain could still recapture it.

But the Democratic ticket has shown a weakness in regards to the government takeover of insurance giant AIG.

A day after saying the federal government should not come to the rescue of AIG, Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden shifted his position Wednesday, saying he needs to get more details on the terms of the $85 billion takeover.

"The truth is I don't know what the bailout is yet," Biden said Wednesday afternoon in Maysfield, Ohio.

Obama was slow to respond when asked about the AIG deal. A statement issued from his campaign did not clarify whether he supports or opposes it.

McCain said he didn't want the government to have to take over the company, but it was necessary.

"When AIG was bailed out, I didn't like it, but I understood it needed to be done to protect hard working Americans with insurance policies and annuities. Sen. Obama didn't take a position. On the biggest issue of the day, he didn't know what to think. He may not realize it, but you don't get to vote present as president of the United States," he said Thursday in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

He also accused Obama of seeing the economic crisis as a "political opportunity."

Obama's campaign responded by accusing McCain of flip-flopping on the issue because he said he opposed the bailout earlier this week.

"Barack Obama does not second guess the Fed's decision to take unprecedented action to prevent the failure of one of the largest insurance companies in the world from creating an even larger crisis, and he believes it must protect families who count on insurance," said campaign spokesman Bill Burton.

As the McCain campaign tries to regain its footing, they're hitting hard with a new ad accusing Obama of wasting taxpayers money.

The ad says Obama's economic policies would severely worsen the country's economic woes.

"When our economy's in crisis, a big government casts a big shadow on us all," the ad's narrator states. "Obama and his liberal Congressional allies want a massive government, billions in spending increases, wasteful pork. And, we would pay -- painful income taxes, skyrocketing taxes on life savings, electricity and home heating oil." "

Obama has repeatedly said the notion he will raise taxes on middle-class Americans is untrue.

advertisement.gif

According to a CNN fact check, Obama's tax plan would increase taxes in 2009 on the wealthiest 20 percent of households, while offering tax cuts for the other 80 percent. The largest increases would be on the top 1 percent of earners, according to analysis by the Tax Policy Center, a nonpartisan research group whose staff of experts includes former economic advisers to the White House and Congress under both Republicans and Democrats.

By comparison, the Tax Policy Center analysis says McCain would offer tax cuts across the board. Those at the top end of the scale would get the biggest percentage cuts under McCain, while households with the lowest incomes would receive the largest percentage cuts under Obama's plan.

[h1]
[/h1]
Palin excitement levels off as Democrats regain lead
That is what I was saying. A pretty face can only go so far especially with all the financial crisis going around. After the convention, afterthe tabloid stories on her pregnant daughter, after her made for TV story, after her poor answers to Charles Gibson's questions, what else is there toSarah Palin?

I think Americans in general want someone that is more knowledgeable than just a hot looking hockey mom. After the debates, it should be a clear indicationwhich party will win. Like Bill Clinton said...

"I predict that Sen. Obama will win and win handily,"

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2008/09/18/1415527.aspxhttp://firstread.msnbc.ms...e/2008/09/18/1415527.aspx

http://blogs.reuters.com/trail08/2008/09/18/hagel-questions-palin-experience/http://blogs.reuters.com/...estions-palin-experience/

From NBC's Mark Murray
[table][tr][td]
ba8658fa-088a-425c-a723-536ae27c8d4f.standard.jpg
[/td] [/tr][tr][td][/td] [/tr][/table]
In an interview with the Omaha World-Herald, Nebraska Sen.Chuck Hagel (R) suggested that Palin doesn't have the foreign-policy experience to be president. "'Shedoesn't have any foreign policy credentials,' Hagel said in an interview. 'You get a passport for the first time in your life last year? I mean, Idon't know what you can say. You can't say anything.'"

Check out this other Hagel line: "'I think they ought to be just honest about it and stop the nonsense about, "I look out my window and I seeRussia and so therefore I know something about Russia,"' he said. 'That kind of thing is insulting to the American people.'"
And this one: "'I think it's a stretch to, in any way, to say that she's got the experience to be president of theUnited States,' Hagel said."

[h1]Gallup Daily: Obama 48%, McCain 44%[/h1][h2]Marks Obama's first statistically significant lead in two weeks[/h2]
PRINCETON, NJ -- The Sept. 15-17 Gallup Poll Daily tracking update shows Barack Obama with a 48% to 44% lead over John McCain among registered voters, marking the first time that Obama has held a statistically significant lead in two weeks.

im a little disappointed with all the attention payed to the national polls. It seems that little of NT truly understand the political process. THE NATIONALPOLLS MEAN NOTHING.... THE STATE TO STATE POLLS MEAN EVERYTHING.

As much as i disagree with you TBONE and as much of a troller you are, you are paying attention to the electoral projections and that is what is important.Enough of all you cats gettin excited because you see Obama up +2 or +1.. that doesnt matter. state to state it does matter... nationally it doesnt

But i do agree the palin steam is wearing off, but this election is far from over, trick plays always come out in the 4th quarter

Well looks like the RNC accomplished nothing. Polls are back to normal and I expect the gap to increase after the debates.

Anyone who thinks McCain has any chance against Obama or that Palin will not like a dunce debating Biden is fooling themselves.

GWB was very unpopular going into his run for his 2nd term in 2004 and got the win. this race will be even closer after the debates.

^^ obama's lead will spread out even more.

during the debates, mccain won't be able to distract the audience from the issues by talkign about lipstick on a pig or sex ed for kindergarteners...

he'll be compelled to talk about the issues -- why he supports deregulation when we clearly need it right now? he will have to explain how he plans oncontinuing the war in iraq while at the same time putting forth across-the-board tax cuts that favor mostly the wealthy. he's gonna have to talk about howhis healthcare and education plans are better than obama's, which they clearly aren't.

i think this race will be more of a blowout than many think.

in the latest polls, obama has a lead in OH, has a slight lead in VA, and has tied up FLA. if we can get all 2 out of 3 of those states.. it's game over.

^^ obama's lead will spread out even more.

during the debates, mccain won't be able to distract the audience from the issues by talkign about lipstick on a pig or sex ed for kindergarteners...

he'll be compelled to talk about the issues -- why he supports deregulation when we clearly need it right now? he will have to explain how he plans oncontinuing the war in iraq while at the same time putting forth across-the-board tax cuts that favor mostly the wealthy. he's gonna have to talk about howhis healthcare and education plans are better than obama's, which they clearly aren't.

i think this race will be more of a blowout than many think.

in the latest polls, obama has a lead in OH, has a slight lead in VA, and has tied up FLA. if we can get all 2 out of 3 of those states.. it's game over.

[h3]Colorado Rates as MostImportant State[/h3]
Today's polling update will likely show Obama moving back into the lead in the Electoral College, although not yet the popular vote. In advance of that, let's take a look at where the model has key states projected relative to the national trend. These figures include a number of polls from today that don't yet appear on the site.

First, the states where Obama is playing offense:

Code:
Obama Offense StatesIowa           +5.8New Mexico     +5.4Colorado       +0.8Ohio           -0.9Virginia       -0.9Nevada         -1.6Florida        -2.9Indiana        -4.9Missouri       -5.0
These are all the Bush ('04) states where our projections presently have Obama finishing within at least 5 points of his nationalpopular vote total. The margin indicated in each state is the difference between the projected finish in that state and the national popular voteprojection.

Iowa and New Mexico still appear to be outside the range where they can really be considered to be swing states (although the new Big Ten poll shows a tie in the former). Obama could still lose one or both of these states -- but he is unlikely to lose the election because of them. Those states alone, however, are not enough to get Obama to 270 (or 269) Electoral Votes. He needs at least one more state, even if he holds all the Kerry states.

Colorado remains the best bet; it's projecting eight-tenths of a point better than Obama's national numbers. What that means is that, theoretically at least, Obama would still be expected to have a winning elecotral map if he lost the popular vote by 0.8 points. That is why Colorado is so essential; it is the state most likely to be involved in a split result between the popular vote and the Electoral College.

Ohio and Virginia constitute the next tier, but both are projected slightly behind Obama's national numbers. After that are Nevada and Florida, which are a bit further behind. Then the long-shots: Indiana, Missouri and -- just missing this list -- West Virginia and perhaps Montana.

Now, performing the same exercise for McCain:
Code:
McCain Offense StatesNew Hampshire  -1.6Michigan       -3.1Pennsylvania   -3.5Wisconsin      -4.5Minnesota      -4.9
Although Obama's lead has bent in a couple of these states -- particularly Pennsylvania and New Hampshire -- it has not really broken,as all Kerry states are polling at least 1.6 points ahead of Obama's national average. However, we may be on the verge of seeing Michigan and Pennsylvaniaflip places, as Obama's polling has generally held up pretty well in Michigan while faltering in Pennsylvania. Wisconsin and Minnesota have also drawncloser, but with 4-5 points of difference still separating them from the national numbers, it is not clear that they are that are likely to form the tippingpoint in the election.

Back
Top Bottom