Dressing better

Originally Posted by nawlinsjunkie

Originally Posted by wj4

PS how do you guys feel about blazers being a bit too short? I tried on a blazer that looks cool, but the length doesn't entire cover my butt so I'm kinda 50/50 on it.
depends on your height. I'm short (5 '8 ) so when I have clothes covering most of my back pocket area I feel like I look even shorter, so I usually get jackets that are smaller.
I wear a 38R and in most brands..the length fits nicely (covers my butt), but this one has a Euro cut to it..so it's shorter.  I've always been told that a good way to determine if the length of a blazer is proper is that if it barely just covers your rear.

I haven't posted in awhile, but here are some updates for you guys:

BrooksBrothers: got a dark navy suit there last week for $270. Yes, $270. It was already on sale and an additional 30% came off of that. Check your local BrooksBrothers outlet. For those that don't know, BrooksBrothers sells wonderfully crafted suits. You may have to be a bit firm with their salespeople though on how you want the suit to fit: had the guy had his way, I would've walked out with a suit that screamed %+@% Tracy. Now if I can find a vest to make it a 3-piece...

JCrew: picked up a merino wool v-neck sweater and the CLASSIC white oxford dress shirt for a slamming total of: $52. The items were on sale, plus another 30% off for their final sale.

Enjoy, everybody.

I see a lot of the designers are going with a low wasted pant that tapers at the bottom.
Dries Van Noten
dries-van-noten-2010-fall-winter-2.jpg

Y-3
y3-2010-fall-winter-lookbook-12.jpg

^Those just look like sweat pants with bigger stretchable cuffs at the leg openings.
laugh.gif

Do you mean the drop crotch style, skunk?

I just could never, ever get down with that look. I'm not cool enough or odd enough.

Originally Posted by Super Producer J

Do you mean the drop crotch style, skunk?

I just could never, ever get down with that look. I'm not cool enough or odd enough.
I don't think the majority of people would wear that.  I'm with you on that.  The most I'll go is roll up my pants for a highwater look.

I'm with you as well on the highwater look. I picture one of those hot NYC summer days, company picnic or a bbq, would be most fitting. I'd wear boat shoes with them, I suppose.

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by magikmike

would LOVE to get some info on this blazer.  if not this one, any ideas where to get this style with the elbow patches?
nerd.gif

IMG_5699ps.jpg

i dont know who makes that exact one, but Polo carried a similar model couple years ago. i have one with brown patches instead of grey that i got from Polo. Ticket pocket, working cuffs and purple velvet underneath the color.

I see some popping up on the bay everynow and then ... you can create a search and check regularly to see if one pops up.   
My first thought when i saw that jacket was Thick As Thieves custom...looks very TAT, i think.
thickasthieves.com
Originally Posted by wj4

PS howdo you guys feel about blazers being a bit too short? I tried on ablazer that looks cool, but the length doesn't entire cover my butt soI'm kinda 50/50 on it.

I'd prefer that than the opposite. I have a suit, with perfect pants, the blazer fits nice, but just seems a tad too long. Covers damn near my whole butt. I could pull it off, my girl thought so, but to me I cant get over it...so yeah imo, it shouldnt cover ur ENTIRE butt. Then again, i have a big butt
embarassed.gif
(uhh, no H?)
laugh.gif
, i wanted to post a pic to get a 2nd opinion, but I'd feel too much like a female asking "how her butt looks in____"
grin.gif

Can suit tails be shortened by a tailor?? feel like id ask em, get a stoneface, then an expensive price for the work...

Originally Posted by CheGTR

Originally Posted by niidawg3

Originally Posted by magikmike

would LOVE to get some info on this blazer.  if not this one, any ideas where to get this style with the elbow patches?
nerd.gif

IMG_5699ps.jpg

i dont know who makes that exact one, but Polo carried a similar model couple years ago. i have one with brown patches instead of grey that i got from Polo. Ticket pocket, working cuffs and purple velvet underneath the color.

I see some popping up on the bay everynow and then ... you can create a search and check regularly to see if one pops up.   
My first thought when i saw that jacket was Thick As Thieves custom...looks very TAT, i think.
thickasthieves.com
Originally Posted by wj4

PS howdo you guys feel about blazers being a bit too short? I tried on ablazer that looks cool, but the length doesn't entire cover my butt soI'm kinda 50/50 on it.

I'd prefer that than the opposite. I have a suit, with perfect pants, the blazer fits nice, but just seems a tad too long. Covers damn near my whole butt. I could pull it off, my girl thought so, but to me I cant get over it...so yeah imo, it shouldnt cover ur ENTIRE butt. Then again, i have a big butt
embarassed.gif
(uhh, no H?)
laugh.gif
, i wanted to post a pic to get a 2nd opinion, but I'd feel too much like a female asking "how her butt looks in____"
grin.gif

Can suit tails be shortened by a tailor?? feel like id ask em, get a stoneface, then an expensive price for the work...

Yes, Thick as Thieves can make those for you. I was actually talking to Jason of TaT and was about to order a tweed jacket until I found the Burberry one that fit me almost perfectly. I still plan to order from him sometime this year, I'm thinking maybe a khaki suit for the spring/summer. My friend is getting married in June and depending where it will be held, I'd like to use it as an excuse to get a custom suit. 
happy.gif

As for the suit being shortened, it is definitely possible. As usual, I wouldn't get it shortened to the extreme, maybe an inch or two is max. I don't think it'll be too expensive either, it is jus tlike shortening the sleeves but in a bigger dimension. It's funny because at Nordstrom, I asked how much some of their tailoring were and they quoted me $15 to shorten the sleevs but only $12 to taper the torso on a blazer. I was surprised as my tailor usually charges $20-$25 for waist/torso suppression. Hemming the pants were $10 though so it is expensive but not out of the stretch since my tailor charges $7.

I actually prefer my blazer/sport coat not to cover my entire butt, maybe halfway or a 3rd being covered is ideal for me. Thom Brown started the short suit fad a few years ago but I think the look has stayed and adapted a bit on the current style. 

Originally Posted by Vancity74

Those Aldens are nice but the laces are wack.

Who makes a decent loafer? Is Cole Haan any good?
I've got some Cole Haan loafers and am very happy with them. Unless you want to go up to the Gucci/high-end price range I think Cole Haan might be your best bet. Banana Republic has some nice ones too usually but I'd rather buy from shoe people than clothing people. 

Cole Haan is decent when on sale. Check out the outlets or NM Last Call or Saks 5th OFF Ave and you will find nicely discounted loafers.
I often find John Varvatos and Ferragamo loafers/shoes on sale at those department store outlets.

Some nice spring/summer suits to be used as reference.

filippaklookbook14.jpg

filippaklookbook8.jpg

I'm going to need a white pair of pants this year...

filippaklookbook4.jpg

More clean and simple looks for the warmer times.

filippaklookbook18.jpg

filippaklookbook17.jpg

filippaklookbook11.jpg

filippaklookbook9.jpg

filippaklookbook2.jpg

filippaklookbook1.jpg

filippaklookbook19.jpg

First pic post in this thread, I've been building my wardrobe for about a year, year and half now and will try to add to the thread regularly.
From the past three days.

30wm87o.jpg

erilqf.jpg

2u4kol1.jpg

2yl2xx4.jpg

zjfkhz.jpg

5pr32q.jpg

I need help fellas. I have to dress business casual at my job. I can only wear polos on Fridays.

For the most part I have the same template. SLacks + Dress shirt. Most of the time it is black slacks. I wear a tie if I feel like it. I just need a new template. I don't really feel like wearing a dress blazer. I don't know, I need to start from the ground up.

I see some of you wearing something that is like an Old Navy Fleece but it is a sweater. 1/4 zipper.

I don't know what I am really asking for put if I can get some ideas I would appreciate it

Back
Top Bottom