Dressing better

Originally Posted by wuSHUMast3r

SperryTopSiderShoes-ESQ-JetSetter-fb-5460967.jpg

So I got a pair of these recently, but I'm having trouble finding the appropriate chinos/slacks/khakis to go with them. I need something slimmer in fit. Any suggestions?

6hix4g.jpg

but is it even possible to pull off Clarks Desert Boots with some sort of shorts for a summer type look? Or would it just look foolish

I do it all the time, looks good. I'll take pics next time I wear them...

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

Originally Posted by Div1LBC

Originally Posted by RFX45

^^^
Nope, the only jeans I wear are 514's.
It is the only pair of jeans that fit me perfectly.
I actually just bought 3 more pairs.
laugh.gif
Where did you cop the Levis' from? They don't have those colors at Macy's. I know the khaki colored ones is at Urban Outfitters.

info on those jackets?

nerd.gif

The first jacket is Shades of Greige:
http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=SHAD-MO138&c=Shades+of+Greige&d=b

The black leather jacket is Ben Sherman, it is on sale $160 from $400 at their US site.
When i bought it last weekend, they were running a 25% off so I got it for $125, which is a deal too hard to pass up.
http://www.benshermanusa.com/nshop/...=viewall&dept=mens&groupName=AllMens&sale=yes
bs_lea10.jpg

I could do without the stitching on the right shoulder but it fits me well so I can't complain.

^^^
laugh.gif
Where did you cop the Levis' from? They don't have those colors at Macy's. I know the khaki colored ones is at Urban Outfitters.

info on those jackets?

nerd.gif

http://www.revolveclothing.com/DisplayProduct.jsp?product=SHAD-MO138&c=Shades+of+Greige&d=b

The black leather jacket is Ben Sherman, it is on sale $160 from $400 at their US site.
When i bought it last weekend, they were running a 25% off so I got it for $125, which is a deal too hard to pass up.
http://www.benshermanusa.com/nshop/product.php?view=detail&productid=BE-LMW00019&startColor=&page=viewall&dept=mens&groupName=AllMens&sale=yes
bs_lea10.jpg

I could do without the stitching on the right shoulder but it fits me well so I can't complain.
which ya'll think is better? I was about to buy the LRG one below...but that Ben Sherman above has me thinkin about switching....someopinions would be nice...

14u89om.jpg

ah thanks for the second link, i needed a navy pair in my size and my pops gets a discount from shoe buy
can't help you out though. sorry man

The LRG jacket will fit like a Large even in size Small.
Quality-wise, ben Sherman might be a little higher but they'll be similar.
The biggest difference will be fit.

I just bought the JCrew Legacy sports coat in a size 42R (i usually wear a 40) but for some reason this fit. the only problem is i think theres too much spacein the back, but when i go a size down it feels really tight on the shoulders and chest when i button it. i dont know what to do, sacrifice the casual fit fora looser more comfortable one when buttoned, or a tighter more streamlined fit when unbottoned...

Originally Posted by Disfunctional

Since we're on the subject of Sperry's, www.shoebuy.com is having a "20$ off 50$+ purchases when using paypal" sale.Bout to cop white,navy and possibly brown a/o's for 45$ each.
good looks, just ordered classic brown. $45 shipped
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by Nako XL

I just bought the JCrew Legacy sports coat in a size 42R (i usually wear a 40) but for some reason this fit. the only problem is i think theres too much space in the back, but when i go a size down it feels really tight on the shoulders and chest when i button it. i dont know what to do, sacrifice the casual fit for a looser more comfortable one when buttoned, or a tighter more streamlined fit when unbottoned...
Why not get it altered to your body?

J. Crew's sports coats fit a bit more snug. My 38R is a bit like 36. I didn't even have it taken it, just did the sleeves.

Originally Posted by wj4

Originally Posted by Nako XL

I just bought the JCrew Legacy sports coat in a size 42R (i usually wear a 40) but for some reason this fit. the only problem is i think theres too much space in the back, but when i go a size down it feels really tight on the shoulders and chest when i button it. i dont know what to do, sacrifice the casual fit for a looser more comfortable one when buttoned, or a tighter more streamlined fit when unbottoned...
Why not get it altered to your body?

J. Crew's sports coats fit a bit more snug. My 38R is a bit like 36. I didn't even have it taken it, just did the sleeves.
well the thing is I'm not sure exactly how it's supposed to fit you know...

i have a tailored Boss suit and I had it taken in to fit tighter around my middle, and the length stops right at my pockets (the sleeves stop at my wrist) andI like that with my suit...

but I never really wore sportcoats with jeans before, it's a look I'm trying to get into, so i'm not 100% on HOW it's correctly supposed tofit. the manager at the store told me it fit perfectly, but my friends and I both commented on it being a bit spacious and possibly long and he told meit's SUPPOSED to be like that and if I go down a size or tailor it i might ruin the look. I wasn't sure if he knew what he was talking about or justtrying to rush me into a purchase so I bought it and decided I'd figure out what to do with it later.

sorry if I sounded like i was ranting/rambling there, I sort of just typed as I thought and didn't bother going back to edit it
laugh.gif

If you have pics, we might be able to help you out a bit more.
When it comes to casual sport coats, I prefer it to be shorter than usual, a la Tom Ford.
Not super short but short overall, especially if the pants are fitted.
By the way you described it, I would go with the tighter fit.
Chances are, you'd be moving around with the jacket unbuttoned most of the time and it probably would look better than the sack look of the bigger one.

I find this fit to be just right:
00002f.jpg

There's a little pull but not so much that it looks liek you are wearing a little kids blazer but fits nicely overall.

how a suit should fit:

- biggest mistake most guys make is going big. they feel restricted and uncomfortable in a suit because they are used to wearing t-shirts and jeans. theproblem is a suit is meant to fit, if you buy it too big you will actually be making yourself uncomfortable, you'll feel bad and look worse. the arm holesfor example are meant to hug your shoulder, if it's too big your arms will be restricted.

- most importantly is the shoulders, they must align perfectly with your shoulders. the shoulders can be taken in by an expert tailor but it's usually notworth the trouble and cost.

- width, button the jacket, put a couple fingers inside where the buttons are and sort of pop it forward, on you so that you can see how much excess there is.it shouldn't come out more than like an inch max. this is a pretty easy fix by a tailor they can take the sides in (taper the suit)

- sleeve length. first you need a properly fitting shirt. once you have that make sure the jacket sleeve falls where you can show about a quarter inch of shirtcuff. one test you can do to make sure your shirt and suit sleeves are long enough. stretch your hand forward and bend your elbow so that your hand is at yourchest as if you're about to do a nazi salute, see how your sleeves ride up. it should come up a bit but you should be able to do that comfortably.

- jacket length. shorter is in but not too short either. it's really easier if you have a butt, just make sure the jacket is long enough to cover it. ifyou had proper fitting jeans the jacket would basically go to the bottom of the jean pocket.

- pants, you should know how a waist fits, be able to stick your finger in there. pants should be able to stay on fine without a belt, but shouldnt be tootight either. good quality pants come with extra fabric so they can be let out. same goes for the seat (butt area). the pants should follow your silhouette butthere shouldn't be any pulling, it should be nice and smooth.

- pant length, a little subjective here, some people like it wide and long with a lot of break others like it short and narrow (which is more in fashion).either way just make sure your pants are flapping around (too short) or bunched up (too long) when you are standing still there should be one slight tomoderate break at the shoe. forget that nonsense about the back of the pant reaching the floor or even the heel of the shoe, mine are about 2 cm away fromshowing sock (but they are also well tapered).

style:

what's in style now, but also timelessly classic is as follows:

2 button, with a moderately high stance (the buttons are higher up on the jacket than before) but not too high
notch lapel for business (as opposed to peak which is very hip/fashion forward, also used on tuxes and double breasted)

pants plain front (no pleats) with a 2" cuff, or no cuff if you really don't like it. if you are stuck on pleats for some reason your pants must havea cuff, 1 and 3/4" the minimum, 2" preferred.

construction:

fused- cheapest, the jacket is glued together like your nike shoes. your suit will look good the day you bought it and then get progressively worse. when youdry clean it the ironing may cause the glue to bubble and cause noticeable wrinkling. your typical Banana Republic suit, Hugo Boss and even some $2000 Armanisuits are fused. if you buy one of these it better be because you will wear it twice a year for emergencies or because it's a suit that will go out offashion by next year (which is what happens with most Hugo Boss/Armani suits).

semi-canvas- some parts are fused to save money but the important parts and usual trouble spots are sewed with a canvas piece.

full canvas- no glue at all. the jacket is sewn together with a full canvas piece. your suit looks great the first day and holds up over time, you can giveheavy wear to the suit for 10 years and the fabric will break down before the suit does. Full canvas suits start at maybe 700$ if you're lucky but average1000$. well worth the investment.

what am I forgetting?

this will give you a good idea:

Everyone has their own preference and the young is usually different than the old. When I went to the Boss store today to get the suit altered, the guy askedme if I wanted my sleeves down a bit (since it showed the sleeves of my button down shirt a little)..he said it's popular among the older crowd. ObviouslyI said no. I prefer a more modern fit. As far as the length goes..as long as the coat is long enough to cover your butt, you're good. Otherwise it lookstoo short IMO.

^^^
laugh.gif

info on those jackets?

nerd.gif

http://www.benshermanusa.com/nshop/product.php?view=detail&productid=BE-LMW00019&startColor=&page=viewall&dept=mens&groupName=AllMens&sale=yes
bs_lea10.jpg

Did you cop online or did you goto one of the stores?

Did you just use the sizing chart?

I can't stand using sizing charts and copping online...especially a jacket....

TOBI

GETOUT40 for 40% off, except these restricted brands:
Anthony Logistics for Men, A.P.C., Comme des Garcons, Hudson Jeans, Nixon, Robin's Jeans, T by Alexander Wang

even on common projects!

USE JUNE09 for 15% off storewide, INCLUDING the restricted brands.

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

^^^
laugh.gif

info on those jackets?

nerd.gif

Did you cop online or did you goto one of the stores?

Did you just use the sizing chart?

I can't stand using sizing charts and copping online...especially a jacket....

I purchased it online but that is because I am already familiar with Ben Sherman's sizing.
I already know what size fits me in each style so it was easy for me.
My suggestion is to visit a Macy's and try on a jacket and that should give you an idea of how it would fit and just get the same size.
Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom