Dressing better

Originally Posted by RFX45

Disfunctional wrote:

I need a suit a.s.a.p but i'm really broke...Thought about going to a thrift store to get a suit then get it altered.Has anyone else done this in the past?

That is not easy at all and if oyu do not find the right size, you'll end up spending a lot more to get it tailored.
Like I have suggested, it has to fit right ont he shoulders on the get go as that is the most expensive part to be altered.
Chances of finding one that fits right will not be easy.

I suggest going to H&M, you could probably find a decent suit for less than $150.
You can't really beat that price since it will probably save you from the majority of altering cost.

Damn, I'm working with like 50$ tops fam
tired.gif

Does it really cost that much to get a suit tailored?

Originally Posted by Disfunctional

Disfunctional wrote:

I need a suit a.s.a.p but i'm really broke...Thought about going to a thrift store to get a suit then get it altered.Has anyone else done this in the past?

That is not easy at all and if oyu do not find the right size, you'll end up spending a lot more to get it tailored.
Like I have suggested, it has to fit right ont he shoulders on the get go as that is the most expensive part to be altered.

I suggest going to H&M, you could probably find a decent suit for less than $150.
You can't really beat that price since it will probably save you from the majority of altering cost.

tired.gif

Getting sleeves shortened could run $15-$20, the waist supressing could go for $30-$40 and shoulder adjustment could go for $75-$200.
Not to mention how much work will have ot be done to the pants.
You really are better off with a new suit unless you can find a suit at the thrift store that fit your really well.

Originally Posted by Dunkaroos

Recommend me a quality slim-fit oxford (solid color black)

Thanks guys.

TBH, i can't say that i've seen a slim fit Black Oxford. i've seen black oxfords from RL but nothing slim. are you specifically looking for anOxford or just a black slim button up? if price isn't an issue, i'd recommend Hugo Boss 2-Ply's, RL Black/Purp label, Barney's CO-OP or ThomasPink. If it's too high, H&M has some great 2-Plys as well for around $45 (if your H&M carries the full suit collection you can find them) or hit upZara.

tired.gif

what is the suit for? depending on the occasion, you can possibly build something else for $50 that will satisfy the needs of the occasion & utilize itemsyou may already own. maybe a vest, tie, shirt & slack option or blazer & slack option.

Originally Posted by TD The God

Originally Posted by wj4

Anyone know of a designer that makes a nice white suit?
It depends on your budget and your body. I've seen CK, Kenneth Cole, Banana Republic with white suits. Didn't pay ATTN to the prices though. If you really want a nice suit and is willing to shell out more than a grand..you can go look at brands like Prada, Burberry, etc.
KC, B. Republic might be in my price range....it's a white suit, so it will not get much wear.....I have an athletic/muscular frame...so I need something very fitted, yet big enough in the shoulders
Pookie, did you find something?

The BR shops in the GTA have nice white linen suits - you can steam them so they're not so creased, if you want to look a little sharper.

Also, regardless of what you end up buying, take your suit to Bayview Village...around the back, there is a little tailor (I think they're called BayviewTailors). A little Italian dude, fixes EVERYTHING, even the roll behind your collar. Costs around $80 or $90 for all the alterations. I took my Boss suitthere, and it fit perfect.

Disfunctional wrote:

tired.gif

Getting sleeves shortened could run $15-$20, the waist supressing could go for $30-$40 and shoulder adjustment could go for $75-$200.
Not to mention how much work will have ot be done to the pants.
You really are better off with a new suit unless you can find a suit at the thrift store that fit your really well.

That's more or less what I pay for my blazers. $25 to have both sleeves shortened a bit and $40 to have the width taken in. It's allabout the small details, if you don't have good fitment, you have nothing.

I'm going to NYC in Mid-July...
Other than places like Topman, Uniqlo in SoHo...
are there any spots you guys recommend?
Also could be places outside of SoHo.

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

I'm going to NYC in Mid-July...
Other than places like Topman, Uniqlo in SoHo...
are there any spots you guys recommend?
Also could be places outside of SoHo.
J.Crew's Liquor Store? Rugby?

Funny i was just coming in here to ask about J Crew also. Has any1 ever tried on or own a pair of jCrews Chinos. I'm looking to pickup both the essentialand broken in.. both in the classic look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally Posted by YuraS718

Funny i was just coming in here to ask about J Crew also. Has any1 ever tried on or own a pair of jCrews Chinos. I'm looking to pickup both the essential and broken in.. both in the classic look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I own about 4 pairs of J Crew chino pants. Fit ranges from the slim to classic, I like them. Nothing wowwing about it, but I got them for $30 apop and I'm not complaining.

Originally Posted by wj4

Funny i was just coming in here to ask about J Crew also. Has any1 ever tried on or own a pair of jCrews Chinos. I'm looking to pickup both the essential and broken in.. both in the classic look. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I own about 4 pairs of J Crew chino pants. Fit ranges from the slim to classic, I like them. Nothing wowwing about it, but I got them for $30 a pop and I'm not complaining.
Thanks for the insight. Heck for $30 I would jump right on them. I dont have the money right now to spend $150+ to get that discount, i wasthinking about buying just one pair for now (retail). So far i bought from them on 2 or 3 occasions and love it. A few button down shirts and a V necksweater.

Also another question, do you know how their polo shirts fit. (Not the slim tailored fit their regular fit) If you could compare to Ralph Laurens brand thatwould be great. I don't have the time right now to go their store and try on.. but i would like to take advantage of their 2 for $50

I'm not sure. I have never tried on their polo's or t shirts before. I only frequent J. Crew for their bottoms and outer wear. Their chinos are alwayson sale instore at the clearance section BTW.

Originally Posted by wj4

I'm not sure. I have never tried on their polo's or t shirts before. I only frequent J. Crew for their bottoms and outer wear. Their chinos are always on sale instore at the clearance section BTW.
Ohh okay thanks alot. I'll keep that in mind. Never stepped foot in a J Crew store yet. I wish they had a store in Brooklyn, i don'tget to get into Manhattan often.

Originally Posted by c0nf0cal

Originally Posted by wj4

Anyone know of a designer that makes a nice white suit?
It depends on your budget and your body. I've seen CK, Kenneth Cole, Banana Republic with white suits. Didn't pay ATTN to the prices though. If you really want a nice suit and is willing to shell out more than a grand..you can go look at brands like Prada, Burberry, etc.
KC, B. Republic might be in my price range....it's a white suit, so it will not get much wear.....I have an athletic/muscular frame...so I need something very fitted, yet big enough in the shoulders
Pookie, did you find something?

The BR shops in the GTA have nice white linen suits - you can steam them so they're not so creased, if you want to look a little sharper.

Also, regardless of what you end up buying, take your suit to Bayview Village...around the back, there is a little tailor (I think they're called Bayview Tailors). A little Italian dude, fixes EVERYTHING, even the roll behind your collar. Costs around $80 or $90 for all the alterations. I took my Boss suit there, and it fit perfect.
Thanks for the info..... haven't been to the mall in a bit, shouldn't even bein the this thread much less

RFX-kinda wore the same get up as you today.
laugh.gif
Hoody, button down and a knitted tie.
2l8d7bt.jpg

Yura-I know what you mean, man. They just opened a J. Crew 8 miles from my house about a year ago so I go to that one a lot. Prior to the store opening, thenext one is about 30 miles away. Also if there's a J. Crew outlet nearby, they have great stuff at good prices too.

Originally Posted by wj4

I own about 4 pairs of J Crew chino pants. Fit ranges from the slim to classic, I like them. Nothing wowwing about it, but I got them for $30 a pop and I'm not complaining.
Thanks for the insight. Heck for $30 I would jump right on them. I dont have the money right now to spend $150+ to get that discount, i was thinking about buying just one pair for now (retail). So far i bought from them on 2 or 3 occasions and love it. A few button down shirts and a V neck sweater.

Also another question, do you know how their polo shirts fit. (Not the slim tailored fit their regular fit) If you could compare to Ralph Laurens brand that would be great. I don't have the time right now to go their store and try on.. but i would like to take advantage of their 2 for $50
the repp pique fits a bit bigger than the slim taylored fit....i have both....the repp fit is slightly bigger around the chest and stomach area,and the arm sleve is a bit longer (almost reaches the elbow) and bigger..if u like ure shirts fitted then u go for the fitted look...i work there btw

Anyone know where I can find a dark/hunter green Boat shoe similar to this
timberland_crop.jpg

but not Timberlands? I seem to recall a Sperry
nerd.gif
but not sure where I saw them. any other brand would do also

Any good casual sneaker advice? I have a pair of boat shoes and am getting one more but I'm looking for some sneakers that would go well with t-shirts,casual shirts and jeans.

anyone know where i can find a heather grey scoop neck sweater? like this...

15911605_40_b

also, anyone try american apparels oxfords? how do they fit?

Back
Top Bottom