Dressing better

I just bought 2 suits. I'm a little on the heavy side, (5'10 200 lbs), and I feel like the suits don't help me look slimmer.

Can anyone recommend a good tailor that isn't too expensive to maybe slim the pants down, take in the sides of jacket for better shape, and other things ofthe sort.

I also don't want to pay too much either.

I'm in NYC and also travel upstate for school so I'm open to anything either in the city or in the capital region.

Originally Posted by RFX45

Monday, after work.
paul_010.jpg

paul_011.jpg

nice and clean man!
what brand is the tie?

nice and clean man!
what brand is the tie?
Tie is from J. Crew.

BananaRepublic.com is having a great sales on a lot of things. Shorts are now in the $30 zone, a lot of great discounts on coats from the previous season aswell.

Originally Posted by LoveMySneakers

I just bought 2 suits. I'm a little on the heavy side, (5'10 200 lbs), and I feel like the suits don't help me look slimmer.

Can anyone recommend a good tailor that isn't too expensive to maybe slim the pants down, take in the sides of jacket for better shape, and other things of the sort.

I also don't want to pay too much either.

I'm in NYC and also travel upstate for school so I'm open to anything either in the city or in the capital region.
Google is your friend. Just type in "alteration shop (zip code or city name) or tailor shop (zip code or city name). There will be tonsthat will pop up, and read the comments and reviews.

Should be $30-50 to take the width in on the jacket. $20-35 for the sleeves (as long as the buttons aren't really functional). $25-40 for pants. As longas the shoulder pads on the coat fit you, they can work with everything else.

I'm not sure how your frame is, man..but at one point I was 200-210 lbs, also 5'10''...a bit chubby and I thought classic fit looked better onme at that point in my life. Not saying to go choppa suit or anything though.

Originally Posted by wj4

BananaRepublic.com is having a great sales on a lot of things. Shorts are now in the $30 zone, a lot of great discounts on coats from the previous season as well.

yeah and i just went to the store expecting to see the same thing and they didn't have anything I wanted
mad.gif

Originally Posted by omgitswes

Originally Posted by wj4

BananaRepublic.com is having a great sales on a lot of things. Shorts are now in the $30 zone, a lot of great discounts on coats from the previous season as well.

yeah and i just went to the store expecting to see the same thing and they didn't have anything I wanted
mad.gif
You gotta have time and cruise around to different branches. I recently scored a $180 vest for about $15 and change.
laugh.gif
Had a $20 gift cardand used 10% off on top of that. They have a lot of great accessories on sale too, usually under the shoes.

Originally Posted by wj4

nice and clean man!
what brand is the tie?
Tie is from J. Crew.

What he said.

Originally Posted by illmatickal

Originally Posted by RFX45

Monday, after work.

paul_011.jpg
pimp.gif
info?

Old Gucci shoes.

niidawg3 wrote:
rfx - i like that semi-formal fit you pulled off. great knit tie.

Thanks. I like your style and combinations. You pull it off well. We need whole suit pics though to fully appreciate it.
happy.gif

You really remind me of Ariza.
Your the guy with the red shirt right?

The other guy reminds me of Mos Def or the Famous Jett Jackson.

No insult, just an observation.

I been trying so hard to start dressing nice, I haven't touched a pair of Jordans since the beginning of this year. Plus when we go out, my ol' ladyout dresses me all the time!!
But I am struggling hard fam! I got some nice boat shoes, got some nice express jeans but the 34 is a tad loose, but the 33 hugs my thighs so damn tight when iseat!! But I went ahead & copped the 33's and are paying for it now haha
I went most places looking for some nice fit slacks or kahkis but no luck. Gap & Old Navy & Macys, blah blah! All them joints look mad baggy on me. Ineed something nice fit, I'm not a very big guy. 5'5 and about 150.
I didnt read the whole thread but been keeping up properly, I need suggestions for shirts too, polos I have, but I need some button ups that are not tooformal, just casual enough for a nice dinner or so, but the express joints be so damn long on my arms! Any suggestions there? What kind of Tees or not, can Iwear.
Thanks for the help now family, cuz my lady is tired of me looking like a high school kid when we go out with our friends.
ohwell.gif

I'm just built so damn weird!! haha!!

Originally Posted by hammerdown10

anyone know where i can find a heather grey scoop neck sweater? like this...

15911605_40_b

also, anyone try american apparels oxfords? how do they fit?

i tried the xs and feels too short and tigghtt on the chest. the larson button up from obey is similar to the oxford, but way better fit.

had to go to Jury Duty yesterday, had to go casual.
Doesn't happen too often on a weekday.
Bad picture but the shirt is actually navy, not black.
hugo_b10.jpg

Originally Posted by rowbot626

Originally Posted by hammerdown10

anyone know where i can find a heather grey scoop neck sweater? like this...

15911605_40_b

also, anyone try american apparels oxfords? how do they fit?

i tried the xs and feels too short and tigghtt on the chest. the larson button up from obey is similar to the oxford, but way better fit.
what size do you usually wear in tops? body type?

Originally Posted by artysm

Originally Posted by omgitswes

any ideas? its green and white with a purple pony
29bfx8y.jpg

i would do Navy, washed Navy, Khaki (washed, stone, etc) or if you want to be cocky with the Classic RL look, washed Red Chinos. easiest route is a pair of khaki's and some canvas sneaks. is that a Classic or Blake fit?

DonJuan, nice cole haans. surprised you didn't get the tan suede green sole colorway. my mistake if they're not CH's.
navy is not going to match well with a green and purple pattern. the intricate shirt more or less limits you to black, grey, and possibly tans.if i'm wearing a shirt with a rare colour, or one with multiple colours, i usually stick to the neutrals. navy brings in too many colours, unless one ofthe colours in the shirt is blue. it is nice though, i would rock it.

rfx- i've always been a big fan of ferragamo belts, one of the nicer simple designs imo. surprised to see no shoes in the pic though, what were youwearing?

Back
Top Bottom