Dressing better

I just bought a pair of J Crew Club shorts from the outlet last weekend, but I have no idea what to wear with them. They have this understated plaid print,very subtle. They are more like dress shorts than chinos... very lightweight. Don't know what kind of shoes to wear with them.

Add me to the group that can't get down with ties and jeans. I've seen it pulled off halfway decent but the two just don't go together for me.

if you have a Saks Fifth Avenue Off 5th near you. theyre having a "MENS SALE".
here's a link showing the coupon/things that are on sale. http://www.off5th.com/coupon

as far as "dress shoes" go. i find that florsheim is a good alternative if youre not looking to spend more than $175.
banana republic also has quality oxfords from $60-$100 (depending on the sale going on).

Originally Posted by GrimlocK

Here's the black with white bottom clarks I was talking about to the guy who wanted a black suede/nubuck pair:

2gwfi2w.jpg

ix58wn.jpg

The insole is very cushioned, pretty solid pickup for $50. And Clarks has this thing now where you buy one you get the next at 25% off so I would suggest to those looking for a pair to go stop by. Only colors they have is black/white bottom, Dark Brown/Dark brown bottom, Tan suede/Dark Brown Bottom, and a really Lightblue suede/dark bottom.
These look fresh. I'm going to have to pick up a pair of all blacks.

Originally Posted by eiddyfouw

Here's the black with white bottom clarks I was talking about to the guy who wanted a black suede/nubuck pair:

2gwfi2w.jpg

ix58wn.jpg

The insole is very cushioned, pretty solid pickup for $50. And Clarks has this thing now where you buy one you get the next at 25% off so I would suggest to those looking for a pair to go stop by. Only colors they have is black/white bottom, Dark Brown/Dark brown bottom, Tan suede/Dark Brown Bottom, and a really Lightblue suede/dark bottom.
These look fresh. I'm going to have to pick up a pair of all blacks.
what's this model of clarks called?

Originally Posted by artysm

Originally Posted by ninjahood

Originally Posted by sloanboy

Originally Posted by Vancity74

I'll never understand why people wear ties with jeans.
i feel the same
smh.gif
i thought this was the dressing better thread

maybe this might broaden your view a little

00110m.jpg

just depends on how you wear it to your likings/standards. you can make this look with items you have in your closet (if you own similar ones of course). i'm not a fan of trouser cut denim, but i think it looks best with a tie. Emporio Armani makes some really nice trouser cut denim slacks. i've even seen levis Capital E make trouser cut.

Alright guys I need help finding a nice pair of black shoes for a wedding coming up soon.

if there's a nordstrom rack near you, i'd highly suggest hitting that up. otherwise, you'd might want to look at brands like DKNY, CK, kenneth cole, rockport, florsheim etc (no stacy adams please). depending on what your suit looks like and the size of your foot (IE cap toe gives the illusion of your foot being smaller), try bringing the slacks with you so you can see how the shoe will look with the pant. they may look good on at the store but it can be a different story with the entire outfit.

2807_568176697198_1706217_34019143_2867281_n.jpg

Hoping for a little bit of quick advice. Got an event this saturday. Lunchtime meal & awards ceremony for our basketball team. Not black tie as such butdefinitely Shirt & Tie. I have an average selection of shirts already in my wardrobe (white, black, dark grey, burgundy, blue, a few striped etc.) and onlyvery limited number of Ties (essentially A black and a red, plus a couple of novelty).
I'm torn between either using the blue and getting a tie to go with it, or getting a new combo. Any suggestions on summer shirt/tie combos for semi-formalwear. Whether or not I go full suit depends on the weather, if its sunny & hot then no, but likely cloudy. The suit is charcoal with a thin stripe.
Relevant info:
6'3, 185 w/ broad shoulders.

Planning on shopping tomorrow, so any quick advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: What tie would go with the blue shirt? Darker blue?
If I don't go suit I've got plain black dress trousers, and also the option of a beige or darkish tweed blazer.

I love the fit of the pants. Were they altered?

Don't know if I like the tie/short combo tho.

Originally Posted by kmaclive

Hoping for a little bit of quick advice. Got an event this saturday. Lunchtime meal & awards ceremony for our basketball team. Not black tie as such but definitely Shirt & Tie. I have an average selection of shirts already in my wardrobe (white, black, dark grey, burgundy, blue, a few striped etc.) and only very limited number of Ties (essentially A black and a red, plus a couple of novelty).
I'm torn between either using the blue and getting a tie to go with it, or getting a new combo. Any suggestions on summer shirt/tie combos for semi-formal wear. Whether or not I go full suit depends on the weather, if its sunny & hot then no, but likely cloudy. The suit is charcoal with a thin stripe.
Relevant info:
6'3, 185 w/ broad shoulders.

Planning on shopping tomorrow, so any quick advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: What tie would go with the blue shirt? Darker blue?
If I don't go suit I've got plain black dress trousers, and also the option of a beige or darkish tweed blazer.

Brown shoes and brown belt sets off navy/blue real well.
As for a tie, almost any color would probably work, it will depend on the pattern.
On the other hand, a solid silver or dark gray will be a safe choice for a tie with a navy shirt.

Prom? You're in high school? You look, not to mention dress, much older than I did back then. Good job.

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

The pants were just hemmed up so they are sitting right at the top of the shoe. You can see some ankle even when standing up straight.
I don't like the tie/shirt combo either, she did.

Suit-H&M slim fit
Shoes-Zara

Originally Posted by ESCO i AM

Originally Posted by lilpro4u

The pants were just hemmed up so they are sitting right at the top of the shoe. You can see some ankle even when standing up straight.
I don't like the tie/shirt combo either, she did.

Suit-H&M slim fit
Shoes-Zara
lol you look least 34 homie nice fits though
laugh.gif

Thanks.
Weathers looking pretty bad, wet and cold on the day so I'm thinking full suit. That being the case, with it being a charcoal, I'll stick with theblack shoes and belt.
I'll just have to hit and hope to a degree with the tie. I always get caught in two minds with the ties.
Again, thanks for the advice. I'll be sure and put up a picture of how it turns out.

Love the thread

I need some real quick help.

My graduation is tomorrow and our cap and gown are red. I have no idea what color to wear for a button down and tie underneath it. The only reason I ask isbecause our gowns allow you to see some of the shirt and tie undeneath it and I have nothing to wear and am gonna go to buy something. If it helps I also haveto wear a Baby Blue hood that goes with it. Any help is appreciated

Originally Posted by masterhammy23

I need some real quick help.

My graduation is tomorrow and our cap and gown are red. I have no idea what color to wear for a button down and tie underneath it. The only reason I ask is because our gowns allow you to see some of the shirt and tie undeneath it and I have nothing to wear and am gonna go to buy something. If it helps I also have to wear a Baby Blue hood that goes with it. Any help is appreciated
Wear a shirt that has one of your schools colors or a white shirt. The tie should have red in it to go with the gown.
For my brother's graduation this past week, he had a navy cap and gown, white shirt, navy pants, and red/white/navy tie.

Personally, I think the pants are a little too short. Maybe half an inch. Mostly the wrinkles are bugging me but nothing a little ironing wouldn't takecare of.

Originally Posted by pdm 87

Personally, I think the pants are a little too short. Maybe half an inch. Mostly the wrinkles are bugging me but nothing a little ironing wouldn't take care of.
Originally Posted by ESCO i AM

For my girl's prom yesterday. Been in the suit since, hence the wrinkles...
Steam suits.

Back
Top Bottom