Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Charles Tyrwhitt is have a big sale on their dress shirts.

~$30 a pop for those interested.
Do you have any experience ordering from CT? I know the deal is pretty good but I feel like they always have crazy sales running. No Jos. A Bank type stuff but I don't think that the $130 I'm saving on each shirt is a true representation of quality on price. Am I wrong to assume this?

I've ordered a bunch from CT, extra slim fit is great. They're really good quality even for a, say, $75 shirt and obviously incredible at $30. At $130? Nah, you'd have some great options elsewhere but CT just uses those prices as part of their marketing.

What do you mean by "true representation of quality on price." though?

The sleeves are like this. Button cuff.

How much would this cost to alter?

I need it altered maybe 1, 1.5 inches.

Last edited:
Got a couple pairs of 484 Sun-Dried Chinos in from J.Crew and love the fit! I'm surprised that some of you guys want slimmer than 484. I'm a pretty skinny dude (5'10, 145lbs) and they're already really slim on me!

I usually just lurk in here and I haven't posted in here since the change over but here's my newest pick up
Isaia dress shirt. Never can have too many white dress shirts

I usually just lurk in here and I haven't posted in here since the change over but here's my newest pick up

I'm a spread-collar dude, so that collar looks wild to me! Not saying it looks bad though, but do you have any photos of it on?

I'm a spread-collar dude, so that collar looks wild to me! Not saying it looks bad though, but do you have any photos of it on?
It actually is spread collar. I had the same issue when I went to try it on and thought the lady helping me brought the wrong shirt but I didn't button it all the way up. I'll try to get a pic up tonight

It actually is spread collar. I had the same issue when I went to try it on and thought the lady helping me brought the wrong shirt but I didn't button it all the way up. I'll try to get a pic up tonight

Oh yeah, you're right, that is a spread-collar.

Hey guys, I'm trying to buy my first suit. I want something dark (black, navy blue), so I can wear it for kinds of formal occasions. $300 is my budget; is that enough for a good quality suit? Which places should I look?
I've found a couple from Express. What do you think?
http://www.express.com/mobile/clothing/Stretch+Wool+Photographer+Suit+-+Black/sec/cat360011
http://www.express.com/mobile/clothing/Cotton+Photographer+Suit/sec/cat700002
Also, which is more preferable? Cotton or wool? First link is wool, second is cotton.
Thanks!

The sleeves are like this. Button cuff.

How much would this cost to alter?

I need it altered maybe 1, 1.5 inches.

That should be a basic alteration for most good tailors, and they will or should move the buttons back as well to correspond with the alteration. Price, I know my tailor charges about $35 for the sleeves. It's a basic alteration but not an easy one, time consuming really.

Hey guys, I'm trying to buy my first suit. I want something dark (black, navy blue), so I can wear it for kinds of formal occasions. $300 is my budget; is that enough for a good quality suit? Which places should I look?
http://www.express.com/mobile/clothing/Stretch+Wool+Photographer+Suit+-+Black/sec/cat360011
Also, which is more preferable? Cotton or wool? First link is wool, second is cotton.
Thanks!

Go with Navy, the navy is just much more versatile than black. You can break it up into separates from the trousers to the jacket and if you choose too, even the waistcoat. I think cotton one will work year round especially if you get the waistcoat as it can serve as an extra layer for warmth. It seems that the cotton is decently thick and should serve you well year round as long as you're not wearing it in the east coat during the winter.

Got a couple pairs of 484 Sun-Dried Chinos in from J.Crew and love the fit! I'm surprised that some of you guys want slimmer than 484. I'm a pretty skinny dude (5'10, 145lbs) and they're already really slim on me!

I like slim almost skinny. 484's and Alpha's have an 8" hem. Anything more than 7.5 and I am wanting to taper them. I like the European look. As a tall guy it looks amazing and it sets me apart from the crowd.

I like slim almost skinny. 484's and Alpha's have an 8" hem. Anything more than 7.5 and I am wanting to taper them. I like the European look. As a tall guy it looks amazing and it sets me apart from the crowd.
??? Every single pair of 484's I own have a 7" hem....

Biggest waist size will have bigger leg openings.

That said, 7.5 leg opening on sz 12 shoes is too tapered imo.

And to the guy asking about material for suits, wool > cotton
Quote:
Thanks!
Go with Navy, the navy is just much more versatile than black. You can break it up into separates from the trousers to the jacket and if you choose too, even the waistcoat. I think cotton one will work year round especially if you get the waistcoat as it can serve as an extra layer for warmth. It seems that the cotton is decently thick and should serve you well year round as long as you're not wearing it in the east coat during the winter.

Last edited:
Copped the sandstone/limelight for $124 today at the outlet. 

Originally got them for the office but I don't think that is going to happen since the sole is so damn bright  Oh well, they look amazing in person. I've always been a fan of wingtips as they are very damn versatile. Anybody rock the ones with the volt/limelight soles in the office? Do you think I could get away with it?

Thanks, I was a bit skeptical because I don't own ANY striped ties. :stoneface:

Slowly trying to transition into the "dressing better" thing.

Last edited:
Just bought 5 of those Tyrwhitt shirts. Good thing they offer free returns for US in case they don't fit as well as I want.

Nrg1604 please post a pic of those shirts when you get them in. Did you go with the extra slim fit?

Back
Top Bottom