Dressing Better Vol 2.0

^ Thanks for your replies.

For my consulting gig, I own the company and do the behind-the-scenes stuff, but I have employees who do sales and field visits with clients. What I'm worried about is when I'm out and about in the city and a client sees me dressed how I normally dress. My "street" clothes definitely fit and to be honest my wardrobe is pretty expensive because I'm someone who cares about quality (for example I'll spend the dough on a Nike x Loopwheeler hoody instead of a plain jane Uniqlo hoody, which to the untrained eye looks exactly the same). Unfortunately for me, most people have an untrained eye...

In terms of suiting, I just got fitted for an navy MTM and I can piece together a suit outfit no problem. My issue is how to dress when I'm just out and about and not necessarily visiting a client or anything. I'm so far gone at this point that even chinos or khakis are too "dressy" by my standards and I basically live in my black skinny Naked & Famous denim.

For my consulting gig, I just own the company and do the behind the scenes stuff and I have employees who do sales and visit clients and whatnot. The reason I need to dress more appropriately is because of perception and I can't be seen out and about by clients wearing 2001 Jordan 1's and a Loopwheeler hoody, which by all accounts would make for an "expensive" street outfit but the professionals in their 40's and 50's, I'm just a punk in high-tops and a hoody. 

I just got fitted for an MTM suit and I can piece together a suit outfit no problem. It's what to wear when I'm just out and about in the city that has me scratching my head. It's tough for me not to default to sneakers, black Naked & Famous skinny denim, and a CDG hoody. 

^ simple things like replacing the hoody for a button up would be a step towards dressing more appropriately

Try polos, chinos, jeans are a staple so they can be worn up or down, low profile sneakers like Jack Purcells, even new balances and some designer sneakers, tbh the proper fit of your clothes alone will add some sort of formality to most outfits.

For my consulting gig, I just own the company and do the behind the scenes stuff and I have employees who do sales and visit clients and whatnot. The reason I need to dress more appropriately is because of perception and I can't be seen out and about by clients wearing 2001 Jordan 1's and a Loopwheeler hoody, which by all accounts would make for an "expensive" street outfit but the professionals in their 40's and 50's, I'm just a punk in high-tops and a hoody. 

I just got fitted for an MTM suit and I can piece together a suit outfit no problem. It's what to wear when I'm just out and about in the city that has me scratching my head. It's tough for me not to default to sneakers, black Naked & Famous skinny denim, and a CDG hoody. 
Proper fit trumps all.

Heading to AC tonight so many pics will be had. However, a buddy of mine who purchased those walnut stafford cap-toes I've suggested has been putting them to work in the club and wanted to rock em again tonight. Finally asked me to polish them up. Unfortunately, some water (beer) stains had already settled, but here is the difference:

Personally, I think the Style Blogger, and the whole TSB team is pretty legit. Sure, some of their outfits are beyond corny, but that's what style is. I cannot hate. He is popular among a niche audience, and he has remained relevant, which to me is very impressive. i would recommend TSB for people who are trying to find their own personal style. He uses a lot of luxury items that many of us cannot afford, like high end time pieces, and probably 100 bespoke suits (maybe more) , so i understand the jealousy, but to each his own. He has his basics down right for the most part. I am sure he photographs himself in outfits that he probably wouldnt wear in public, he just does it for the photoshoot, because they are too flashy or may seem like he is trying to hard, idk though. Overall, i have yet to see a better men's wear website, in terms of layout, and quality, and updates. so props to him

Could someone shed some light on what kind of belt/buckle should be worn with slacks, dress pants, chinos versus a belt that is more casual for denim.

I had an interview today and wore chinos and didn't know if my belt was too casual.

Last edited:
^ simple things like replacing the hoody for a button up would be a step towards dressing more appropriately

Or replace the hoody with some v-neck sweaters and/or shawl cardigan or cardigan sweaters. My suggestion would buy a heather gray v-neck or cardigan, off-white v-neck or cardigan and a navy v-neck or cardigan. Even with some low profile sneakers some jeans and a button up shirt, this will still look casual but mature.

If you are unsure, you can always go without a belt, as long as ur waist fits properly. Wearing no belt, is a much better alternative than wearing a belt that is not appropriate for a dressy outfit. A thick leather belt with a big buckle can ruin your look if you are trying to wear a more dressy outfit. Many traditionalists do not even wear belts with suits, because it ruins the silhouette.

An opinion on The Style Blogger:

Thoughts?

Dan feeds of this hate frankly and it's what has pushed his blog from being simply a blogspot to his full time source of income, including a team. I think people hate him because he is one of the most popular menswear blogs out there. It's like the saying goes, if people are hating it means you are doing something right.

Exactly. I don't really follow the dude or anything but he is doing well for himself while doing what he loves and I respect that.

i know a lot of dudes in this thread are from nyc/nj. i'm coming to nyc with some friends for a few days of vacation. is my best bet to find a hotel in newark, nj and drive over to manhattan etc. every day ? (20-30min drive?)

hotels in manhattan probably cost an arm and a leg i take it ? any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

i know a lot of dudes in this thread are from nyc/nj. i'm coming to nyc with some friends for a few days of vacation. is my best bet to find a hotel in newark, nj and drive over to manhattan etc. every day ? (20-30min drive?)

hotels in manhattan probably cost an arm and a leg i take it ? any suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!

I wouldn't wanna drive to NYC (Manhattan). The parking alone will cost a fortune.

Take a look at airbnb and see if you can rent an apartment for the week.

Exactly. I don't really follow the dude or anything but he is doing well for himself while doing what he loves and I respect that.

I think the bespoke suits throw people off too but dude is smart with his money and the fact that so many people have become customers of Michael Andrews Bespoke, which has a customer reference program, and that he is a consultant for them, I'm not surprise that the combination of both has gotten him a nice number of bespoke suits.

Dan feeds of this hate frankly and it's what has pushed his blog from being simply a blogspot to his full time source of income, including a team. I think people hate him because he is one of the most popular menswear blogs out there. It's like the saying goes, if people are hating it means you are doing something right.

Is his team getting their sole income from the blog too? Just curious.

thanks!

Hotels are 200+ in NY. Id stay away from any in that whole area for less than 200. You gotta watch our for bed bugs. NY got hit bad. If you going with a group of friends you guys can easily share the cost. My sis get her masters at Columbia and i will be out there. My family will be out there the day of I will be out there 4 days prior, by myself chillin. I wanted a true NY experience so I am staying at B&B in Brooklyn for 100 per/day. Everybody keeps telling to stay there. The day of the graduation I will move to a hotel in times square for 4 days 500per night. Supposedly I walk out the hotel and into times square.

Last edited:
Try polos, chinos, jeans are a staple so they can be worn up or down, low profile sneakers like Jack Purcells, even new balances and some designer sneakers, tbh the proper fit of your clothes alone will add some sort of formality to most outfits.

My first pair of JP leather lows put me onto "higher end" sneakers like Common Projects. Guess you could say they are a gateway shoe :lol:

And Wis, I went TTS on my Roshes but I think I could have gotten away with sizing down .5.

Back
Top Bottom