Dressing Better Vol 2.0

Anyone own a Bar III suit from Macy's?:nerd: After a long search for a navy suit under $300, I may have found the right one. It fit me well OTR, sorry no pic. Will probably pull the trigger when there's a nice coupon code to bring it down to $260ish. Just wanted any feedback about BAR III suits and if there's anything else out there I should try in the $250-300 price range. I have small arms and looks like I would have to do a bunch of alterations with the Thomspon suit.

Here's the suit, BAR III Extra Slim Navy Suit

Haven't had any experience with that brand, but it's one of Macy's house brands right? I've tried on their Alfani Red line, which is about on par with H&M in terms of quality and has that slim, euro fit. You should check dappered.com, I think those guys have tried on or at least recommended suits from BAR III before.

giving props for the well dressed wife.

other than that, NikeTalk has a very diverse member base. Although I would never fathom outfitting my exterior with 99% of the things I've seen in the last 10 pages of this thread, I appreciate the passion most of you seem to put into this. Personally, I rather have panel of females tell me what they liked me in. Either way, it's all good. I've seen some nice loafers.
If you would rather have females telling you what they liked you in then you would be dressing up for someone else, which is not the goal of this thread. Contrary to popular belief, most females know little to nothing about men's fashion, even the fashionistas on purseforum.

I retract my former statement. Apparently I did buy stuff in 2013 :lol: I ordered these shirts a while back, but forgot. They came today.

Green cast denim, and white/red striped seersucker.

Of course I wear sneakers. Suits? Hecks no. I only dress business casual for work and I don't care for that. I have no hate for anything you guys are wearing or posted. It wasn't meant as an insult. I just don't like what I saw for me, but i don't care what men wear, thus my thing about women.

Those shirts are awesome.Texture and quality of both look great!

To add what you said, I know that I definitely dress for myself. I don't dress for anyone else, and I certainty wouldn't let anyone dress me because I have my own style. If I need help along the way, sure, I'll ask for it but I would never let someone tell me how to dress. Guys have this idea about girls that they're all super fashionistas when really they just have more options and their clothes are marketed better. A girl can walk into an H&M or Forever 21 and walk out 30 minutes later with a new wardrobe for under $200 and look great.

That's why I could never understand people who have stylist and that kind of thing, if I had money like that I would be able to do SO much and I wouldn't want someone telling me how to do it.

Last edited:
For some reason all of my light fabric jeans after 2-3 years tear tear in the back seat/crotch area.  It's not fat dude problems because I'm not fat (5'10" 175) but like clockwork my joints always rip.  At first I thought it was a skinny jeans problem, but it just happened with a looser fitting pair.  what am i doing wrong?

should i invest in fixing the 2-3 pairs that have torn over the past two+ years or just buy cheaper jeans with the anticipation that they'll be dunzo by 2015?

Wear and tear man.

If you should or shouldn't get then fixed depends on what brand they are and how bad the rips are.

Last edited:
For some reason all of my light fabric jeans after 2-3 years tear tear in the back seat/crotch area.  It's not fat dude problems because I'm not fat (5'10" 175) but like clockwork my joints always rip.  At first I thought it was a skinny jeans problem, but it just happened with a looser fitting pair.  what am i doing wrong?

should i invest in fixing the 2-3 pairs that have torn over the past two+ years or just buy cheaper jeans with the anticipation that they'll be dunzo by 2015?
It could be the way you walk and the amount of gap there is on your thigh/crotch area. The constant friction will easily tear through your jean fabric.

retroflashbacks - Honestly I'd just return the suit and look for a different fit all around, that specific suit just doesn't look to fit your proportions well. I just bought my first suit and definitely tried on a ton before I found the right one. It was hard to say specifically what was wrong with some of them, but the fit just looked "off" and I was uncomfortable. Good luck my man!

first alteration should be rotating the damn pictures

:rofl: :rofl:

My DB Brethrens,

Just purchased the Jcrew Thompson from online last week. Ended up paying $218 shipped.

This is my first "real" suit purchase..as I never really needed a suit before...

Can someone please critique the fit? I'm not a really slim dude..so I'm not sure if this suit compliments my body or not.

I didn't cut the vents yet..just in case I want to return. I'm not sure if that's contributing to the slight pull in the waist area.

What alterations would need to be done to this suit (besides shortening the sleeve)?

Thanks bros!

Edit: not sure why NT is turning my pictures sideways....working on that now..

I would return it man. As everyone else said, the proportions are way off. That suit just may not be for you. Try looking into BR and Express for something in a similar price range.

"fathom outfitting my exterior...." who the hell talks like that? :lol:

Then says "hecks no" :smh:

has anyone ever successfully incorporated suspenders in their outfits in a casual type look, or simply with suits?

Just wondering if anyone had any examples

Ive worn suspenders with a plain white t and khakis. Theyre much more comfortable than belts imo.
But i only wear that when i travel.
Theres two types i think...the old school size and a newer slimmer one.

In terms of dos and donts tho....the guys on here prob know way more than me.

Ive worn suspenders with a plain white t and khakis. Theyre much more comfortable than belts imo.
But i only wear that when i travel.
Theres two types i think...the old school size and a newer slimmer one.

In terms of dos and donts tho....the guys on here prob know way more than me.
Same. I've worn mine with a Henley and liked the outcome. Braces don't have to be formal pieces. Lots of country guys wear them in lieu of belts.

suede baseball jackets are ALWAYS a win man, they're one of my favorite types of jackets. I've posted this before, per the request of Wis

Damn... Where'd you get that jacket? lol

(...my bad if been answered already)

Damn... Where'd you get that jacket? lol

(...my bad if been answered already)
TOJ/John Coppidge

Not available anymore though

That jackets colorway and details are nice but something looks off...

Sleeves too baggy?

I own the same jacket in grey and I'm skinny as hell and sleeves are def not baggy.
I think you meant the stacking, and it's his preference to have a bit of stacking

Last edited:
NY DB fam, what's good?

I think I'm going on a trip my school is sponsoring to visit the 9/11 memorial this Saturday. I'd have free time from around 11-5ish. Who tryna buy me lunch? :pimp:

Wearing my APCs today for the first time in like three months. Hate to say it but this may be the last time - they're too tight even for my taste :lol: Sucks that they'll be a year old next week :frown:

Wearing my APCs today for the first time in like three months. Hate to say it but this may be the last time - they're too tight even for my taste :lol: Sucks that they'll be a year old next week :frown:
I thought APC's were supposed to stretch not shrink :lol:

I thought APC's were supposed to stretch not shrink :lol:

Well.. he did say that he hasn't worn them in 3 months. maybe he gained some weight? Either way 3 months seems like a short amount of time to not fit in something anymore :lol:

Nice A Blinkin, esp them socks :pimp:
But your tie bar is a tad high. You should have it around the height of your nipples (no mo). I'd say two inches lower would be prime. Also your tie should end right where your belt line starts. The most you should allow is the middle of your belt, nothing longer.

Back
Top Bottom